HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Sheldon Souray Waived, CLEARED

Old
07-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Wyrm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
They likely would pull a Montreal move probably and just pay Souray to go away and sit at home.
Can I please have that job too? I'd like to be paid to sit at home. Beats 11 hour work days hands down.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
Can I please have that job too? I'd like to be paid to sit at home. Beats 11 hour work days hands down.
Just got off the horn with your boss. He said your constant sarcasm is driving him crazy. He thinks he can make this happen for you too.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Wyrm

Quote:
Just got off the horn with your boss. He said your constant sarcasm is driving him crazy. He thinks he can make this happen for you too.
Thanks! I've already decided what to do. I will start a new home business, Sourays Incorporated. We'll be manufacturing books "How to get paid while doing nothing (for dummies series)".

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 04:10 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
Yeah, they pretty much have the power to end his career if they want to.
Which might set a nice precedent for anyone else that decides to spout off publicly against a team. This guys self-esteem has got to have hitten close to rock bottom when no one claimed him off waivers. Let's just send him to the minors so that he knows what type of trash the team thinks he is for the crap he pulled.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 04:14 PM
ZedenoCiger

I know I'm going to take some heat but here it goes...

I heard that there are or were 4 deals on the table and Tambo killed all of them. Who? I don't know.

There is some bad blood here. Obviously.

ZedenoCiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedenoCiger View Post

I heard that there are or were 4 deals on the table and Tambo killed all of them. Who? I don't know.

If teams want us to take back salary with longer term than Souray's (2 years remaining) ... I'd say no deal as well.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedenoCiger View Post

Well, if that is true, they must have been pretty gross. A number of teams could have had him for nothing but passed. I think that speaks volumes.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 04:33 PM
BrinkOfGreatness*

Tambo probably doesn't want to take other teams trash. That's probably why he turned them down.

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 04:51 PM
grego

The Oilers should just keep him on the team, let him get injured after 10 games at the start of each season. Then the insurance would kick in to pay his salary for the year.

Odds are Souray won't be around the team for long even if you let him stay up in the big club. So i really don't care what the Oilers decide to do with this man of glass

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 04:59 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChipProspect View Post
Tambo probably doesn't want to take other teams trash. That's probably why he turned them down.
This. Though I have read that NYR was closest. Maybe it was a good thing Souray did hurt his hand prior to trade deadline. Cringe if it was Redden coming back

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If teams want us to take back salary with longer term than Souray's (2 years remaining) ... I'd say no deal as well.
I agree I am sure that if the Oilers turned down any kind of deal involving Souray, considering we were willing to give him away on waivers, that they had to include some kind of terrible contract being returned to the team on an under performing player

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:05 PM
YoSoGordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
This. Though I have read that NYR was closest. Maybe it was a good thing Souray did hurt his hand prior to trade deadline. Cringe if it was Redden coming back
some people will hate me but if we did trade for redden he might hopefuppy actualy be better hecause of a change of scenery. Like with whitney. He sucked in anaheim and is doing actually really good in edmonton ( considering we were last).

YoSoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Perfect_Drug

If we were getting money back, I would want a highly paid forward from Philly.

Jeff Carter, Simone Gagne, or Daniel Briere. Who knows, that might have been the trade near the deadline, until Souray broke his hand, and Philly went to the SCF.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:45 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post

You, like many others around here, fail at reading comprehension.

Souray never said spit. Terry Jones said spit. Not Souray. Souray didn't say it. Someone else said it. Terry Jones said spit. Not Souray. Souray didn't say spit. Are you understanding what I am saying? Can you follow this?

If Terry Jones reads this website, he would be laughing his ass off at how one little word that HE wrote would cause so much conversation.

But maybe you're right. Just because something is discussed ad nauseam on HF Boards, it MUST be true.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic. If you guys want to keep discussing who said what, then carry on.
Yeah ..... that's about what I figured .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
What trade value LOL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erixon View Post
Exactly. Maybe Souray should just retire and do everyone a favor.
Quote:
Souray himself already blew his trade value all to hell with what he did in the media. It totally screwed management in any sort of trade talks (he is already super hard to trade with that injury history and big contract). His value was blown to bits before this IMO. Which by extension screwed his teammates, since they get a less or maybe no return to help them out on the ice.
I'm not saying that he has a ton of trade value however do we want it to get to a point that we can't even move him after re-entry waivers? I've always felt that it was counter productive to trash players in the media especially if they are under contract with you.

07-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'm not saying that he has a ton of trade value however do we want it to get to a point that we can't even move him after re-entry waivers? I've always felt that it was counter productive to trash players in the media especially if they are under contract with you.
I think you are overestimating the effect of this. The fact that Souray is an unrelenting whiner and complainer is likely well known inside hockey circles. He does it openly, in front of teammates, and so forth. I am sure you are aware of the reputation of the people you work with.

Given that Souray has now been publicly exposed and made to look like a fool, maybe he'll look in the mirror, realize that he is destroying his own career, and change his ways. He has been paid millions by this franchise, and hasn't earned it. Perhaps he can start showing some contrition for this. This franchise opened the vault for him, and he made a trade demand after one good year.

The guy is a classless buffoon. Only he can change this by totally reinventing himself as a person, but I suspect he's too dumb to figure this out.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Are we talking about the same thing here? You make it sound like management said that stuff today with the comment about being on contract to you. It was Ryan Rishaug who said that. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean?

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
I think you are overestimating the effect of this. The fact that Souray is an unrelenting whiner and complainer is likely well known inside hockey circles. He does it openly, in front of teammates, and so forth. I am sure you are aware of the reputation of the people you work with.

Given that Souray has now been publicly exposed and made to look like a fool, maybe he'll look in the mirror, realize that he is destroying his own career, and change his ways. He has been paid millions by this franchise, and hasn't earned it. Perhaps he can start showing some contrition for this. This franchise opened the vault for him, and he made a trade demand after one good year.

The guy is a classless buffoon. Only he can change this by totally reinventing himself as a person, but I suspect he's too dumb to figure this out.
Perhaps this is the case, however I'm never a fan of airing dirty laundry before someone is moved because it never leads to anything good while a guy is on the block.

Quote:
Are we talking about the same thing here? You make it sound like management said that stuff today with the comment about being on contract to you. It was Ryan Rishaug who said that. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean?
Someone had to go to Rishaug, management? Player(s)? Not sure but either way it won't be making Tambo's job any easier.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:36 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
I would love to have seen Souray's reaction to when he found out NOBODY wanted him for free

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I would love to have seen Souray's reaction to when he found out NOBODY wanted him for free
One of the Edmonton media asked him to comment, and he declined.

Given what we know of his personality, I'm sure he blames others - probably Oilers management - for completely mishandling this entire affair and destroying his trade value.

You see, with somebody like Souray, it is always the fault of others. Incompetent management bungling his trade and driving off suitors. Incompetent team staff messing up the hotels, meals, workouts, etc.

In his mind, he has arrived at the pinnacle of human accomplishment, and nobody else around him is good enough ...

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 06:57 PM
oiLowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
$4.5 million is hardly free...

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:07 PM
ZedenoCiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
In his mind, he has arrived at the pinnacle of human accomplishment, and nobody else around him is good enough ...
I understand the fire and brimstone being thrown at Souray's way, and he deserves it. But you're wrong.

Sheldon is a great guy. A regular dude, just like any other guy.

He made a mistake talking to the media about how he felt personally. But hes not a bad guy.

That being said, he made his bed......

ZedenoCiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:23 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Perhaps this is the case, however I'm never a fan of airing dirty laundry before someone is moved because it never leads to anything good while a guy is on the block.
Totally agree Bryan . The Oilers should just keep their mouths shut and let the gossip peddlers like Rishaug make up their own stories . Its not like the Oilers brass don't know how to be quiet when they want to be . Witness the silence on Khabibulin .... who actually did something much more serious than whine and complain to the media .

Old
07-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Totally agree Bryan . The Oilers should just keep their mouths shut and let the gossip peddlers like Rishaug make up their own stories . Its not like the Oilers brass don't know how to be quiet when they want to be . Witness the silence on Khabibulin .... who actually did something much more serious than whine and complain to the media .
When I see a term like "gossip peddler", with its inherent negative connotation, Rishaug's name doesn't even make my top-20 list.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 07:32 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
When I see a term like "gossip peddler", with its inherent negative connotation, Rishaug's name doesn't even make my top-20 list.
Well , he's not always a gossip peddler of course , but on this story he isn't doing the Oilers any favors and the relative worth of the story is very very low . What's the value in dragging out all the crap ? I can see how it helps Rishaug , and titillates the fans , but who elose does it help ?