HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Sheldon Souray Waived, CLEARED

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2010, 02:37 AM
  #951
cheesed-off*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Under your skin...
Posts: 3,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I would love to have seen Souray's reaction to when he found out NOBODY wanted him for free
The accompanying sound effect would be something like " BOIIIIIIIIIIIIING?! "

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:41 AM
  #952
Wyrm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Sure, of course. So he's just stating facts right?
Did it ever come to your mind that it is possible that both Souray is a dick and the management made incompetent moves? I guess it'll be a rocket science for you. It's so much easier to paint the world in black and white.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:25 AM
  #953
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
So what do you do?
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=887

Quote:
If the AHL is the only other option, I'd say buy him out. Katz has enough vested interest in the whole situation, as well as him being an uber fan, to realize this....cut the losses
Sitting him out and not assigning him to OKC is a valid option, if management thinks they can arrange a trade for him eventually (like at the trade deadline) -- assuming the trade is in the interest of the Oilers (i.e. not taking back more salary at a longer term).

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:31 AM
  #954
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,132
vCash: 500
Buying him out or burying him in the minors is a terrible idea IMO.

We need to save that trump card for Horcoff in a few years, and we can't keep buying out players left and right, because at some point, Katz is probably going to shut the wallet.

There's gotta be a taker for this guy at some point. Tamby is just going to have to ease up on thinking he can get away with dealing Souray without taking any salary back.

Either that, or both sides have to grow up a little and sit down and talk. If Souray agrees to be a team player, let him play, but with the strict understanding that if he so much as gives anyone in the coaching staff or management a sour look, his ass will be on the first flight to Oklaholma.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 04:35 AM
  #955
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Buying him out or burying him in the minors is a terrible idea IMO.

We need to save that trump card for Horcoff in a few years, and we can't keep buying out players left and right, because at some point, Katz is probably going to shut the wallet.

There's gotta be a taker for this guy at some point. Tamby is just going to have to ease up on thinking he can get away with dealing Souray without taking any salary back.

Either that, or both sides have to grow up a little and sit down and talk. If Souray agrees to be a team player, let him play, but with the strict understanding that if he so much as gives anyone in the coaching staff or management a sour look, his ass will be on the first flight to Oklaholma.




I made the same suggestion to a friend today.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:45 AM
  #956
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,252
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
Did it ever come to your mind that it is possible that both Souray is a dick and the management made incompetent moves? I guess it'll be a rocket science for you. It's so much easier to paint the world in black and white.
No, I considered Souray to be a selfish, malcontent, so any truth that he may actually be sharing is very lost in the fact that he's a selfish, malcontent.

Did you ever think that NHL management actually knows what it's doing?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:03 AM
  #957
Pros and Cons
Registered User
 
Pros and Cons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No, I considered Souray to be a selfish, malcontent, so any truth that he may actually be sharing is very lost in the fact that he's a selfish, malcontent.

Did you ever think that NHL management actually knows what it's doing?
As fans, relaxing is required and please realize anything that happens will be what is best for the Oilers not Sheldon Souray.

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:45 AM
  #958
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,252
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pros and Cons View Post
As fans, relaxing is required and please realize anything that happens will be what is best for the Oilers not Sheldon Souray.
lol, oh I know, just concerned that anyone would take what Souray said at face value as nothing but truths, because that's more concerning then anything.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
  #959
the word*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rearranging atoms
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
A Buy out will never happen.

Souray to the minors will never happen.

It's trade him for a salary dump now or sit him for a substantial amount of time until there is more interest.

If Souray is to play another single game for the Oilers, I imagine it would only occur under some stringent conditions. If he wants to act like a child he will be treated like one. An intervention will have to occur. Every aspect of his demeanor and character will be scrutinized professionally. The new sports psychologist will earn his keep. Souray will learn what he can and cannot say or his next 'time out' will have him facing further punitive measures, that will go further than the kick to his ego that being waived must have been.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:02 PM
  #960
Giggli G
Registered User
 
Giggli G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,296
vCash: 500
It's really too bad Souray was a little *****, because:

Gilbert-Whitney
Smid-Souray
Foster-Vandermeer/Rookie

is a very large and fairly capable D-corps.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:36 PM
  #961
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
A Buy out will never happen.

Souray to the minors will never happen.

It's trade him for a salary dump now or sit him for a substantial amount of time until there is more interest.

If Souray is to play another single game for the Oilers, I imagine it would only occur under some stringent conditions. If he wants to act like a child he will be treated like one. An intervention will have to occur. Every aspect of his demeanor and character will be scrutinized professionally. The new sports psychologist will earn his keep. Souray will learn what he can and cannot say or his next 'time out' will have him facing further punitive measures, that will go further than the kick to his ego that being waived must have been.
In terms of the oilers not being able to move Souray the ball is really in his court. If Souray is willing to return to the Oilers and September has rolled around and he is still an Oiler. The Oilers can't just sit him, it would look bad to other palyers around the league. To me if the guy isn't moveable via trade the Oilers have to put him on re-entry if they absolutely can't fit him back into the dressing room.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:07 PM
  #962
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
In terms of the oilers not being able to move Souray the ball is really in his court. If Souray is willing to return to the Oilers and September has rolled around and he is still an Oiler. The Oilers can't just sit him, it would look bad to other palyers around the league. To me if the guy isn't moveable via trade the Oilers have to put him on re-entry if they absolutely can't fit him back into the dressing room.
Sit him. Sather did it all the time. Time for all these prima donna's (sp?) to stop walking all over the team.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:30 PM
  #963
Yakupov is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta
 
Yakupov is a gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,205
vCash: 500
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but today Stauffer hinted at an interesting scenario that could play out

If the Oilers accept an arbitration award with one of their players they get an additional 48 hour buyout period. They could trade Souray to NYI for Brendan Witt and then buy out Witt's contract. The cap hit for Witt's buyout is the following:

BRENDAN WITT BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,333,333
2011-2012: $833,333

That's $4.07 million in cap relief for 10-11 and $4.57 million in cap relief for 11-12 when you factor in Souray's 5.4 off the books. The Oilers would pay Witt $1.67 million and lose the $9 million remaining on Souray's contract

Yakupov is a gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:10 PM
  #964
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,315
vCash: 500
... or we could keep Witt.

I'd much rather have him out there than Strudwick.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:21 PM
  #965
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
... or we could keep Witt.

I'd much rather have him out there than Strudwick.
$3million for a largely useless Dman who was to be bought out by a fellow lottery team?

:/

I hadn't paid attention to the NYI much, but I know the optics are not good for Witt.

I would imagine he would be in the realm of Nilsson/Moreau/PoS


I'd prefer the buyout.


Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
  #966
Gilligans Island
Registered User
 
Gilligans Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF/Bay Area
Posts: 7,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky is a gangsta View Post
Not sure if anyone posted this yet but today Stauffer hinted at an interesting scenario that could play out

If the Oilers accept an arbitration award with one of their players they get an additional 48 hour buyout period. They could trade Souray to NYI for Brendan Witt and then buy out Witt's contract. The cap hit for Witt's buyout is the following:

BRENDAN WITT BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,333,333
2011-2012: $833,333

That's $4.07 million in cap relief for 10-11 and $4.57 million in cap relief for 11-12 when you factor in Souray's 5.4 off the books. The Oilers would pay Witt $1.67 million and lose the $9 million remaining on Souray's contract
Why would the Islanders do that? Or rather, why wouldn't the Oilers just buy out Souray (if Jacques goes to arb and another buyout window opens up for the Oilers)?

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:31 PM
  #967
Yakupov is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta
 
Yakupov is a gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Why would the Islanders do that? Or rather, why wouldn't the Oilers just buy out Souray (if Jacques goes to arb and another buyout window opens up for the Oilers)?
Buying out Souray is alot more expensive
SHELDON SOURAY BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $2,400,000
2011-2012: $2,400,000
2012-2013: $1,500,000
2013-2014: $1,500,000

The Islanders do it because they are paying Witt $2.5 million to play in the minors right now, which doesn't count against their salary cap. Souray's $5.4 cap hit would help them reach the cap floor and the net cost over two years is $6.5 million

Yakupov is a gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:54 PM
  #968
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,691
vCash: 500
One of the downsides to keeping Souray "up" is that he will take up a roster spot. It depends what the Oilers want to do with DD and JDD, but I suspect we'll need every last one of our 23 roster spots...having Souray up and not playing wastes one.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:41 PM
  #969
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
One of the downsides to keeping Souray "up" is that he will take up a roster spot. It depends what the Oilers want to do with DD and JDD, but I suspect we'll need every last one of our 23 roster spots...having Souray up and not playing wastes one.
What if he is suspended, a la Laraque, given his comments to the press about the team?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:46 PM
  #970
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,476
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
$3million for a largely useless Dman who was to be bought out by a fellow lottery team?

:/

I hadn't paid attention to the NYI much, but I know the optics are not good for Witt.

I would imagine he would be in the realm of Nilsson/Moreau/PoS


I'd prefer the buyout.

Think Staios ability....






























10 years from now.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:07 PM
  #971
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 12,130
vCash: 500
if we can't find a home for him he's going to play. like it or not.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:14 PM
  #972
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
if we can't find a home for him he's going to play. like it or not.
Not necessarily true.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:55 PM
  #973
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
What if he is suspended, a la Laraque, given his comments to the press about the team?
That is a possibility, but it remains to be seen if the team will actually go that route.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:17 AM
  #974
ponokanocker
Registered User
 
ponokanocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
With how much Souray must be humbled by now with no team in the league wanting him with his current contract, maybe his attitude may have changed a little. If all else fails, we may see a Souray with a different attitude if he returns to the roster. One word or sour look, and send him to the minors.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:02 AM
  #975
plikestechno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
I really hope he just comes and plays at this point.

Perhaps his selfishness will propel him to a great season and we can unload him at the deadline.

When he plays he's worth his contract. And the Oilers could still really use him.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.