HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sheldon Souray Waived, CLEARED

Old
07-02-2010, 12:16 PM
awesomo
HARD!

vCash: 500
They should send him to Russia!

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I wonder if Pittsburgh will take a run at him, now that Hamhuis and Gonchar are off the market.
They signed Z. Michalek and Paul Martin yesterday.

They now have a solid D. Plus, they only have about $4million left and still need a forward or 2.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Belcriss
Its summer

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
That would be stupid, Horcoff isnt a terrible player like all these people say. He wants to be here and he plays his ass off every night. Getting nothing for Horcoff would be bad. I think he ll have a bounce back season soon, maybe not 70 points but close to it
Agreed, also, here is another guy that would probably start to do better with a little less heat from the fanbase. Horcoff to my knowledge has always been a team player, and is willing to do what it takes. His problem lately is more bad luck than anything else, as well as being overused. Its not primadonna attitude, coupled with lackluster effort.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bombers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Aren't we trying to lose?
Well, yes, it would be nice. But there's no way we're 30th again unless the black plague of injuries lands its roulette ball on us again.

bombers15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
I wonder if Pittsburgh will take a run at him, now that Hamhuis and Gonchar are off the market.
Err...Pittsburgh did sign Michalek and Martin yesterday. You did know that right?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
I wonder. The 'bulin signing looks like it has K-Lowe's fingerprints all over it. That said, his contract is less of a burden now and this Souray move shows what can be done to him down the road if he fails to stay healthy/out of jail.
If you ever hear Tambo talk about Khabby it sure sounds like it was his idea. As for Souray showing us a future path, it's not really the same thing because Khabby was over 35 when he signed his contract. Outside of a trade, there is no way to get him off the books.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorhall4EDM View Post
Anyone else bothered by the fact that we'll be like 20M under the cap this year?

Wouldn't mind trading souray for salary if it makes us a better team (IE: Brewer with only one year left on his contract)
You are forgetting that we haven't signed Gagner, Brule and the other RFA's on the team. I expect that after these kids are signed, we'll have about $10-12M of cap space. I am all for this. Opens up the opportunity to acquire a high price player when the team is ready to take it to the next level.

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
That would be stupid, Horcoff isnt a terrible player like all these people say. He wants to be here and he plays his ass off every night. Getting nothing for Horcoff would be bad. I think he ll have a bounce back season soon, maybe not 70 points but close to it
That's great and all, but there's also little to no chance Horcoff will play out his full contract here either.

Horcoff's day may be a few years off, but his day of reckoning will come as well. Probably two or three years from now he'll be waived/traded/bought out.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Goc Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaFountain View Post
firstly i can't believe they are thinking of waiving forcoff. 2ndly i believe you can be waived with a no trade but you can't be waived if you have a no movement.
Thanks Soda. I like Horcoff. I'd like to have his agent more though.

Goc Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
ShockerStasiuk

Quote:

+1

Agreed.... I hate Horcoff's contract... I don't hate Horcoff. If your boss came to you and said that he wanted to pay you double what you make now would you do the "right" thing and say no? You can't blame Horcoff for his contract. The guy works his ass off and is being played where they put him... if he was on a 3M - 3.5M contract and played as a 3rd line shutdown center like he should be everyone would be LOVING him.

ShockerStasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:19 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Please no. The guy can't win to save his life.
Yeah, and vacant cap space does wonders for helping your help win

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud11 View Post
You are forgetting that we haven't signed Gagner, Brule and the other RFA's on the team. I expect that after these kids are signed, we'll have about $10-12M of cap space. I am all for this. Opens up the opportunity to acquire a high price player when the team is ready to take it to the next level.
I figure $5 mill for Gagner + Brule combined. So yeah. There abouts. The rest of the UFAs are likely peanut contracts (ie: Dubnyk).

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilerfan17

Quote:
Martin and Michalek aren't enough?

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:20 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss View Post
Agreed, also, here is another guy that would probably start to do better with a little less heat from the fanbase. Horcoff to my knowledge has always been a team player, and is willing to do what it takes. His problem lately is more bad luck than anything else, as well as being overused. Its not primadonna attitude, coupled with lackluster effort.
Yea, he got booed last year and we didnt really a hear a peep from him. no trade request or anything. Knowing shawn horcoff, hes probably working his ass off trying to get better. I am not the biggest fan of shawn whifcoff but he brings it and i never question his commitment to the oilers

Old
jsho

Quote:
Michalek and Martin are off the market as well....on the Penguins.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jmask83

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Sorry I want Adam Larsson or Sean Couturier and not Kovy.
Meh. I think we have the scoring forwards we will need to win a cup. What we need is in the bottom 6 and on D. Having said that I also don't think drafting a D-man first overall does very much. Only 3 D-man drafted in the top 5 have ever helped their team win a cup.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bauer83

vCash: 6065
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockerStasiuk View Post
+1

Agreed.... I hate Horcoff's contract... I don't hate Horcoff. If your boss came to you and said that he wanted to pay you double what you make now would you do the "right" thing and say no? You can't blame Horcoff for his contract. The guy works his ass off and is being played where they put him... if he was on a 3M - 3.5M contract and played as a 3rd line shutdown center like he should be everyone would be LOVING him.
Not after last year's performance. He was barely able to even do hat well. I will wait to see how he rebounds this year, but I for one have never been a fan and don't believe he is an elite shutdown defender and one who I would pay 3-3.5M to sit on the 3rd line. Hopefully this year, things will turn around.

Bauer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Heavy Dee

i bet he gets claimed....dont forget his actual payout is only 4.5 mil for the next 2 years, but his cap hit is 5.4...great for teams trying to get to the floor, but have no cash

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Perfect_Drug

Wow

I just got e-schooled by like 10 people telling me the exact same thing.

>_<

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Forget Kolvy, does this mean that we could be targeting RFAs like Ryan and Staal?

Just pure speculation.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:22 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Doubtful anyone takes him without giving salary back.
I'm predicting the Islanders take him. They offered more money for Paul Martin and Michalek than they got. They're desperate.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
That's great and all, but there's also little to no chance Horcoff will play out his full contract here either.

Horcoff's day may be a few years off, but his day of reckoning will come as well. Probably two or three years from now he'll be waived/traded/bought out.
Horcoff has value even if he struggles, he had a bad year, but he does everything for a team... faceoffs, PK, PP (wouldnt recommend it tho - but he does have somewhat of an ability). He will probably be a tradeable asset with about 1-2 years left in his contract.

Maybe he even takes a paycut to stay here

Old
bombers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumDogHockeyPlayer View Post
Yeah, and vacant cap space does wonders for helping your help win
The Oilers have said they wouldn't go after the big name free agents this year. It hasn't worked in the past, and it's not going to work now.

I'm just sure that there are better options than getting a $10 million loser. Ask Vancouver about Mats.

bombers15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Happy View Post
Here's a question I think I know the answer to. If a player has a NTC or NMC, I'll use the fictional name Juan Forcoff, can he be put on waivers? I believe this is not an option.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Horcoff has value even if he struggles, he had a bad year, but he does everything for a team... faceoffs, PK, PP (wouldnt recommend it tho - but he does have somewhat of an ability). He will probably be a tradeable asset with about 1-2 years left in his contract.

Maybe he even takes a paycut to stay here
That's what I thought about Souray.

:/

In the cap era, I don't think anyone over 4million is easily move-able.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote