HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers sign LW Chris Higgins

Old
07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
Panthers sign LW Chris Higgins

kausatoday

Hearing out of Florida that Chris Higgins is about to sign with Panthers for one season at $1.6 million. less than a minute ago via web

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
panthersfan751

1 year and 1.6M would be a good contract for us, although his goal totals have gone down the past 2 years.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
FlaPanthers7

There you go for the center need. A cheap option & he'll get traded at the deadline for another draft pick. Sad to see how far he's fallen the past couple year. It was only just in '05 - '08 that he scored 20+ goals each year with MTL.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:10 PM
ShootIt

So he is a center?
I thought he played more on the wing?

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Macs

He's a winger. For sure

Macs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:11 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
So he is a center?
I thought he played more on the wing?
He's listed as a LW but I thought he played center for MTL when he had his best years. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Old
07-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Georgia Panther

he splits time between center and left wing. good signing considering the contract.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Boooooth10

So where does that put him? Does he center the 2nd or 3rd line?

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:16 PM
panthersfan751

With Booth, Stillman, and Olesz at LW and Weiss, Matthias, and Reinprecht at center, I'm not really sure where he fits on our roster.

Could this mean another trade is coming?

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
With Booth, Stillman, and Olesz at LW and Weiss, Matthias, and Reinprecht at center, I'm not really sure where he fits on our roster.

Would be nice. Don't see Higgins as a top 6 guy, though.

07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
FlaPanthers7

Good things said by people on the trade rumors/free agent board, like even when he doesn't score he's still a good PKer & forechecker that works hard. Over 6 feet and about 200 lbs, so he's the kind of guy Tallon likes. Most people think he'll play wing rather than center, although like GP said he has played at center before.

According to Lebrun there is an agreement and the paperwork is being finalized. http://twitter.com/real_espnlebrun

Old
07-02-2010, 12:21 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

My guess is 3rd/4th line LW, he hasn't really been a center since playing the AHL.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Georgia Panther

NHL lists him as a left wing but I think he was a listed as a center in Montreal. Anyway, he's 27 so he might bounce back to his Montreal form where he scored 20+ three consecutive seasons. Definitely worth the risk for the price and term of the contract.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Acadmus

Very good signing considering the current plan. Short-term, cheap, and with at least a marginal potential to surpass expectations. If Tallon finds a couple more like this, the Panthers will either push for a playoff spot this year (on the small percentage end) or (more likely) have another good trade deadline followed by another promising draft in 2011.

In other words, this is a signing that holds the fort while Tallon continues the work started by Martin four or five years ago to build up the organization from within. Which, one could only hope, will shorten the time of the actual rebuild.

Then again, it's largely dependent upon Martin's draft picks paying dividends. Not sure the track record is yielding much at this point, I'll have to review my draft history posting.

07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Georgia Panther

As far as where he fits, depending on his form, anywhere between second liner to healthy scratch to on waivers. Typical of a player you take a flyer on.

Old
07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Good things said by people on the trade rumors/free agent board, like even when he doesn't score he's still a good PKer & forechecker that works hard. Over 6 feet and about 200 lbs, so he's the kind of guy Tallon likes. Most people think he'll play wing rather than center, although like GP said he has played at center before.

According to Lebrun there is an agreement and the paperwork is being finalized. http://twitter.com/real_espnlebrun
Sounds like a better version of Soup.

Last edited by Laus723: 07-02-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post

No, it means Reino or Higgins on the 4th line.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
305Pantera

I, for one, am certainly not excited about this signing in the least bit. I'd honestly rather give someone in the AHL a spot. If he's going to be on our third line, I don't see why sign him? I suppose it's a good rental deal, which we could certainly flip for a pick... But in what round? Another 2nd rounder?... I guess that'd be nice. How the hell are the Panthers going to compete with the Heat and Dolphins?! People in MIami will start to ignore them even more when the Dolphins and Heat are consistently making the playoffs. I'm sorry for the negativity guys, TBH I don't even know much about the guy. How do you guys see him fitting in our roster? Any chance anyone can get me excited about this guy?

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Real_ESPNLeBrun
Told Flames badly wanted Higgins back but to no avail

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
I, for one, am certainly not excited about this signing in the least bit. I'd honestly rather give someone in the AHL a spot. If he's going to be on our third line, I don't see why sign him? I suppose it's a good rental deal, which we could certainly flip for a pick... But in what round? Another 2nd rounder?... I guess that'd be nice. How the hell are the Panthers going to compete with the Heat and Dolphins?! People in MIami will start to ignore them even more when the Dolphins and Heat are consistently making the playoffs. I'm sorry for the negativity guys, TBH I don't even know much about the guy. How do you guys see him fitting in our roster? Any chance anyone can get me excited about this guy?
He could be anywhere from 2nd to 4th line center. Honestly, we can't worry about what the Heat or Dolphins do. We have to take care of ourselves and just do our thing. When the Panthers start winning, which won't be too far off, then people will pay attention. This is a good cheap signing which doesn't restrict what we want to do in the future, and if we miss the playoffs then we can trade him for a 2nd or 3rd. If we go out and give Lombardi 4.5M or something on a long term deal, it could really come back to bite us in the butt and stunt the team's progress in future years. The payroll is going to be low this season so we have to be smart.

Honestly, the chances we make the playoffs are very low this season anyway. Was, Pit, Phi, Bos, Buf, Ott, NJ, Atl all look like playoff teams now to me and Mtl should be in the mix as well. I really don't see how we compete with them unless we sign Kovalchuk, which isn't gonna happen. It's probably better that we bomb and get Couturier and sell off all our veterans at the deadline. One more season of stink and then we'll have a very bright future.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:08 PM
asleepinthechapel

Why is Atlanta suddenly a playoff team to everyone? It must be their great defensive depth and elite goaltending with those awesome 30 pt forwards they acquired from Chicago.

Anyways, this signing isn't bad at all. Good price, and I love that it's only a year. Could easily surpass expectations and net us a nice pick at the deadline. I have a feeling Higgins will make our top 6.

asleepinthechapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Tallon's comments are definitely indicating that Higgins will be a top 6 player for us. I love this signing and I think he could be part of the plans long-term if it works out.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:14 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Decent signing. Ok talent, and very good contract. I think he will play on the wing, or I hope. Let's see if we will sign another guy.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Tallon's comments are definitely indicating that Higgins will be a top 6 player for us. I love this signing and I think he could be part of the plans long-term if it works out.
Exactly what I was thinking, if this guy has a good season, I can see Tallon opening up talks for re-upping if all goes well.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Boooooth10

Tallon says Higgins will be top 6 forward for FLA: "We've got Booth and Higgins on the left side. That's pretty damn good."

-gorten

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote