HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Isn't Price signed by now?

Old
07-02-2010, 08:19 PM
habspinner

vCash: 500
Why Isn't Price signed by now?

It's a little bizarre and frustrating to a certain extent to see that he still isn't signed? You know I like Price, I'm happy we kept him, but I would have thought after the team showed a vote of confidence with him in trading Halak, that both parties would have come to a speedy conclusion of this negotiation?

It's worrisome as well because anyone can sweep in and drop an offer sheet. I was one of those people who adamantly stated Price would have been signed before July 1st - I'm eating a bit of crow now.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:23 PM
shakenbake7

It's called negotiating.

Furthermore, I've heard Price's camp wants more $$ now that he's the clear cut #1. In any case, I'm not worried; he will be signed within the next few days.

shakenbake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Bodacious

PG should have had a deal in place before the Halak deal. If I'm his agent, the price went up $1M/yr - what can the Habs do? - hope Sanford/Auld is going to keep them in a playoff race with no Markov for the beginning of the season?

Price's agent has PG by the balls. Now it's time to cough up.

Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
PG should have had a deal in place before the Halak deal. If I'm his agent, the price went up $1M/yr - what can the Habs do? - hope Sanford/Auld is going to keep them in a playoff race with no Markov for the beginning of the season?

Do you really want him to feel like he was deceived and double crossed?

Trick him now then he'll just be pissed off and have a grudge for years, this is not the way to do business

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post

Trick him now then he'll just be pissed off and have a grudge for years, this is not the way to do business
My thoughts exactly. Why do people actually believe that would happen? It's a good way to say **** you to a goalie that you presumably want to be with the club for the next decade.

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Bodacious

Quote:

Price wanted to be #1, so you think that if he signed earlier and then Halak was dealt making him the defacto #1 that he would be upset? That's just business - good business in fact - deal from a position of strength (2 #1 goalies). It's like buying a house when you know the owner has already bought new house ready for occupancy - you hold the cards and dictate the deal. Now Price's agent will dictate the deal.

That's just business.

Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Turboflex*

The difference between the house is you still need to do business with Price again potentially for a long time so respect and friendship is important. Whereas you don't really care so much if the house owner doesn't like you cuz you will never see him again.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:49 PM
icerocket

Habs are gonna trade him for Halak.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake7 View Post
It's called negotiating.

Furthermore, I've heard Price's camp wants more $$ now that he's the clear cut #1. In any case, I'm not worried; he will be signed within the next few days.
May I ask where you've heard that?

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post

What can the Price camp do??..
In case you're still unaware, he's a RFA. So if he doesn't get any offer sheets, there's nothing he can do.
What is he going to do??..Hold out on the team that just identified him as its future just because he wants to be greedy and add 1M/yr??...I doubt that.

The kid is what 22??..why in God's name would you assume that he's got the Habs by the balls??...All this while not even finishing the season as our #1 Goalie.

Halak hasn't signed yet either...Is he holding the Blues by the balls too??..
Is Lappy doing that as well??..
Not every single contract has to be signed by July 1st. Give it some time man.

Gauthier has/had a lot of things to deal with. He and everybody around the league knows that if they sign Price to a reasonable offer sheet, it will be matched so what's the point?...
If anyone wants to get him they will have to overpay by a lot, if that's the case then it might be a good thing considering the compensation.

Really, the Price camp is far from having us by the balls.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I could be wrong but I get the feeling that PG and Price's camp are negotiating a long term deal (5+years). Obviously talks weren't initiated until after Halak was traded and those things take time to get right for both sides.

Even if they end up signing something more short term, they have to explore all options and see what would the appropriate amounts be for short, medium and long term deals. That takes time.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Smoke Monster

That's why Gauthier got two goaltenders Auld and Sanford just in case Carey Price decides to pull a fast one and asks his agent to grab a hold of Pierre's balls.
Say hello to Mr Nieuwendyk Carey you have just been traded along with Markov for James Neal. That'll teach you Carey for playin' with Pierre's balls.

Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 10:02 PM
RE-HABS

I think they are working on a long term deal, other than that it would have been cut and dry on a quick 2-3 year deal.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Edgy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
My thoughts exactly. Why do people actually believe that would happen? It's a good way to say **** you to a goalie that you presumably want to be with the club for the next decade.
Oh please..this is business, you use whatever advantage you have to get what you want. What's next? don't bring up he had a bad season or he will go into a corner and cry then ask to be traded.

The whole premise of the Halak trade was to save cap space to re-sign other players and not having Price signed before having traded Halak could potentially have an adverse effect on that.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:39 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Price and Gauthier are probably trying to get something long term going since Auld is #2.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:44 AM
shutehinside

Montreal will match any offer sheet Price would get. Unless a team is willing to grossly overpay him PG might just opt for the multiple 1st rounders and 2nd's. I don't think there's much chance Price will go anywhere at this moment. Just to put things into perspective, only 3 teams are making offers to the one of the most prolific scorers of his generation, Kovalchuk.

Teams don't have the cap space to make the offers they were used to and every year the salaries are getting tighter and tighter. Hamuis is getting less than Komi! What does that tell you.

Teams don't have the money to spend and PG IS in the the drivers seat when it comes to Price, don't fool yourself.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:20 AM
teddygmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
That's why Gauthier got two goaltenders Auld and Sanford just in case Carey Price decides to pull a fast one and asks his agent to grab a hold of Pierre's balls.
Say hello to Mr Nieuwendyk Carey you have just been traded along with Markov for James Neal. That'll teach you Carey for playin' with Pierre's balls.
Price's only real option is the KHL and even if they paid him twice as much as the Habs, I don't think he would be impressed with the night life in Moscow.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:23 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
Price's only real option is the KHL and even if they paid him twice as much as the Habs, I don't think he would be impressed with the night life in Moscow.
i take it you've never been to Moscow have you? It makes Montreal look like Moosejaw.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Drive425

Price is signing in the KHL!!!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:10 PM
LeHab

Don't expect Price to be signed before training camp. His agent will try to milk as much as he can the same way Theo's agent did when he had #1 goalie status monopole.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:13 PM
RE-HABS

I don't think the agent or Price are trying to milk the Habs because he has the #1 status now, I believe they are trying to determine a fair money per on a long term deal. They have to put into consideration his age, his prior season stats and his future potential. Both sides have fair arguments and probably want long term, it all depends on what Price and his agent are willing to make in the beginning of the contract.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What can the Price camp do??..
In case you're still unaware, he's a RFA. So if he doesn't get any offer sheets, there's nothing he can do.
What is he going to do??..Hold out on the team that just identified him as its future just because he wants to be greedy and add 1M/yr??...I doubt that.

The kid is what 22??..why in God's name would you assume that he's got the Habs by the balls??...All this while not even finishing the season as our #1 Goalie.

Halak hasn't signed yet either...Is he holding the Blues by the balls too??..
Is Lappy doing that as well??..
Not every single contract has to be signed by July 1st. Give it some time man.

Gauthier has/had a lot of things to deal with. He and everybody around the league knows that if they sign Price to a reasonable offer sheet, it will be matched so what's the point?...
If anyone wants to get him they will have to overpay by a lot, if that's the case then it might be a good thing considering the compensation.

Really, the Price camp is far from having us by the balls.
Finally someone who has a little bit of common sense. I agree wholeheartedly with you. If anything, PG and Price's agent are talking more about years than dollars and cents. As in, a 3 year deal at 1.5 per, or a 2 year deal at 1.7 per. And that's being generous. The last thing anybody should be worrying about is Price breaking the bank.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
I heard Price wants a 10 year 50 million dollar contract.
I would do 10 years with a 4millions cap hit

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Gary320

It would be dumb of Price's camp to accept a long term deal unless that deal was somewhere around 4 million... Price and his agent have no stats to ask for 4 million. I think if anything the problem might be that Price's camp is trying to get a smaller deal so that Price can end up getting more money when it comes to renewing his contract (and say he gets better).. but the organization wanters a longer and cheaper deal.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Habs13

Why would you give a long term deal to a goalie that has yet to establish himself? Yes, tons of potential... but nothing solid in way of results. A long term deal for Price smells like DiPietro to me.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote