HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ok, if not Doug then whom?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2010, 04:27 AM
  #51
Le Rosbeef
Registered User
 
Le Rosbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post
-'everyone mentions how we haven't won the cup, as long as we make the playoffs I'll keep renewing my Season tickets! yay for mediocrity!' typical drone response.
According to that view, only 17,000 or so fans around the NHL should renew their season tickets each year? Interesting logic! I guess 98% of hockey fans have poor expectations...

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:04 AM
  #52
Tealblood
Registered User
 
Tealblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Northern California
Country: United States
Posts: 2,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
According to that view, only 17,000 or so fans around the NHL should renew their season tickets each year? Interesting logic! I guess 98% of hockey fans have poor expectations...
When the expectations are already that your team makes the playoffs, should the management be content with just doing that and getting the boot? it sells tickets.

I understand loyalty, stick with them no matter what, but it's ridiculous how people just say "at least we're winning in the regular season..." Frankly I'd rather be crappy a few years if it means the cup when we get out of the hole.

The fact that people are so horrified at the thought of having a few losing seasons shows exactly how empty our tank will be when it happens.

Tealblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:14 AM
  #53
Le Rosbeef
Registered User
 
Le Rosbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post
Frankly I'd rather be crappy a few years if it means the cup when we get out of the hole.

The fact that people are so horrified at the thought of having a few losing seasons shows exactly how empty our tank will be when it happens.
No, that's unfair and inaccurate.

People don't have a problem with losing. They have a problem of intentionally losing.

Also, your logic is flawed yet again when you imply a few 'crappy years' gives us any better of a chance of the cup than we have right now. It just can't be guaranteed. On that basis, I would rather see us winning now rather than losing if it results in largely the same outcome in terms of the percentages.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:45 AM
  #54
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,904
vCash: 500
Part of the reason I get so frustrated with Doug is that he has the potential to be a great gm.

Negotiations: Largely has been pretty effective- Marleau, Pavelski, Thornton re-upping. Pavelski and Clowe have signed short, cheap contracts. Ehrhoff and Vlasic were steals. Nichol, Malhotra, Ortmeyer exceeded expectations and well exceeded salary. Clowe's current deal is fair value. Blake wasn't worth 5 and 3.5 the past two years as a player, but he was close. Add in the leadership and mentorship (and hopefully future coaching, scouting, development) he provided to Vlasic and Demers, and it was a worthwhile signing. Similar for Rivet- arguably overpaid, but he brought some key things our defense needed and was later flipped for two seconds- if he could garner two seconds he couldn't have been that overpaid.

I hated the Murray signing, but he certainly has value around the league. I would much rather have a true second pairing guy in that role, but Murray is worth 2.5, though I do think the money could have been spent more wisely. Mitchell got about 100k/year (virtually nothing) more than he should have on a three year deal, but Doug's mistake was locking him up at 400k more (1.367) than he'd have been worth on a one year (850-900k). No one would have given Mitchell an offer sheet for anything more than 800k- you can't overpay for a guy who was injured, ect. Huskins was and is worth at least 1.5 million. 200k isn't that big of a deal, but it is too a cap team. All three of these signings contributed to the loss of Ehrhoff- a player that would have been our #2 this year and last. 2.5 million for Niklas Wallin is absolutely atrocious.

Trades:
Boyle trade- massive win
Thornton trade- massive win (we constantly are in need of a top 4 like Stuey, but Thornton bring much more, add in Sturm's injury problems- not close)
Heatley trade- Not what I felt we needed. Would have rather spent on Hossa or Havlat if possible, as it would have facilitated keeping Ehrhoff, and they are speedier, better two-way players. Course they may not have wanted to come to us.
Campbell- loved the trade at the time, he is what we needed, and his rock-bottom cap hit allowed his acquisition. Bernier was at that point an extra, but he had value. Losing the first was painful.
Rivet- I always liked Gorges, but losing him was not as big of a deal as Montreal fan's think. Giving up a 1st for him however was a mistake, as I think that was an example of Doug overpaying to get his perfect match.
Guerin- disaster, but I can't critique a move I liked (but saw as extraneous) at the time.
Brown/Boyes- Hated Boyes, didn't mind seeing him go and I am not surprised he has found success- don't think he would have found it here.

Draft:
Second round- very impressive; Carle, Vlasic, McGinn
first round- horrid. Despite Kopitar, Seto was a good pick while Michalek was exactly what they wanted. Unfortunately it so happened that going risky in both situations could have proved highly profitable (Kopitar, Getzlaf, Richards, Parise, Perry). Bernier was a pretty unfortunate pick far too many better players around him. Hated Wishart, Couture was good but wrong position IMO (wanted Eller/Perron). Petrecki is fine, but making me nervous. Trading of pics is ridiciulous.
Late rounds/goalies/signings- solid in the past. Future? They should start trading down because Burke has been so successful with late rounds. If we need wingers (we do, in a big way), stop taking so many good damn goalies and d-men. Also, Burke needs to get out of his comfort zone.

Culture- Tight-knit group of players is certainly a positive. Lots of guys re-sign. Considered winners, albeit as chokeartists. Not the FA destination it could be. Needs to figure out a style of play and stick with it. Are we puck pursuit, possession, or dump-and-chase? Needs to get away from size vs. speed-> they are equally important. I think we make too many moves period, but the core must be somewhat consistent beyond Thornton, Marleau, Heatley, Boyle, Pavelski and Vlasic. I think he needs to focus more on building around these guys via free agency (yes overpayment) and draft (hold onto picks) that constantly trading assets.

Overall, I think Doug is average. He does some things well, some not so well. As for moves I wished he made: keep Ehrhoff at the expense of Murray (not signed); acquiring Ballard. I hope he is waiting for next years free agency.

Aside from Setoguchi and Thornton (likely re-signing soon), we could ice the same top 9 except McGinn (minor raise) next year. With Niittymaki, Murray, Vlasic, Boyle and most of that top 9, the team is in pretty good spot with Huskins and Wallin off the books, leaving plenty to grab a top 4 d-man or two.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:01 AM
  #55
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,507
vCash: 500
i don't have to much of a problem with DW, I'm only pissed at really two things he's done.

- Give Ehrhoff away. I just don't think he anticipated the Heatly deal well enough to at least get something back of value here. Sure, there is value in the cap space alone, still should have got something for a speedy top 4 D/PP QB entering his prime.
- Overpay Wallin for a Blake/Stoper replacement (this could change if Murray/Huskins is moved). Several UFA D from my list were affordable and this cap amount would have went along way to replacing Blake with a much younger and overall better player.

I'm not so pissed at the Huskins deal only because it's a relatively small overpayment of a few hundred thousand and didn't prevent us from making other deals.

He's always talking to other GMs about deals - terrible tire kicker to quote another GM. He appears to be a bargain hunter, only trading for players made available by other teams for unusual situations. When is the last time he traded for a decent player that was not on the market or perceived as not available? I'm wondering if other GMs just don't take him seriously enough to make a deal. Same with UFAs, he's just not willing to pull the trigger, he waits until no one wants them and it's a buyer market, then gets them for cheap. He's conservative and not a risk taker in general - perhaps having a good team affords him his approach, I'll grant him that.

I guess I'm thinking he's a little to patient with some core players in relation to the teams achievements overall. If a team is a underachiever in the post season for multiple years, I'd be tweaking the core (1 or 2 players) to try a different mix. A good example here is that i think he stuck with Nabber to long, I'd have moved him last summer or the one before that and at least got an asset in return. I do think he's learning to see the future a bit better, example is realizing that he does not need a 6M cap hit goalie to be succesful.

His analysis of the teams wants and needs post any season is right on. We all perceive him as overpaying players in general, i'm not so sure with the exception of Wallin. I still think the team's D needs a solid top 4 shutdown D and more scoring depth, neither have been addressed so far this off season. Right now we're not as good a team as we where last season for sure.

I wonder in Wayne Thomas is next in line for Sharks GM. Maybe Tim Burke, Joe Will, etc.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:13 AM
  #56
Le Rosbeef
Registered User
 
Le Rosbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Part of the reason I get so frustrated with Doug is that he has the potential to be a great gm.

Negotiations: Largely has been pretty effective- Marleau, Pavelski, Thornton re-upping. Pavelski and Clowe have signed short, cheap contracts. Ehrhoff and Vlasic were steals. Nichol, Malhotra, Ortmeyer exceeded expectations and well exceeded salary. Clowe's current deal is fair value. Blake wasn't worth 5 and 3.5 the past two years as a player, but he was close. Add in the leadership and mentorship (and hopefully future coaching, scouting, development) he provided to Vlasic and Demers, and it was a worthwhile signing. Similar for Rivet- arguably overpaid, but he brought some key things our defense needed and was later flipped for two seconds- if he could garner two seconds he couldn't have been that overpaid.

I hated the Murray signing, but he certainly has value around the league. I would much rather have a true second pairing guy in that role, but Murray is worth 2.5, though I do think the money could have been spent more wisely. Mitchell got about 100k/year (virtually nothing) more than he should have on a three year deal, but Doug's mistake was locking him up at 400k more (1.367) than he'd have been worth on a one year (850-900k). No one would have given Mitchell an offer sheet for anything more than 800k- you can't overpay for a guy who was injured, ect. Huskins was and is worth at least 1.5 million. 200k isn't that big of a deal, but it is too a cap team. All three of these signings contributed to the loss of Ehrhoff- a player that would have been our #2 this year and last. 2.5 million for Niklas Wallin is absolutely atrocious.

Trades:
Boyle trade- massive win
Thornton trade- massive win (we constantly are in need of a top 4 like Stuey, but Thornton bring much more, add in Sturm's injury problems- not close)
Heatley trade- Not what I felt we needed. Would have rather spent on Hossa or Havlat if possible, as it would have facilitated keeping Ehrhoff, and they are speedier, better two-way players. Course they may not have wanted to come to us.
Campbell- loved the trade at the time, he is what we needed, and his rock-bottom cap hit allowed his acquisition. Bernier was at that point an extra, but he had value. Losing the first was painful.
Rivet- I always liked Gorges, but losing him was not as big of a deal as Montreal fan's think. Giving up a 1st for him however was a mistake, as I think that was an example of Doug overpaying to get his perfect match.
Guerin- disaster, but I can't critique a move I liked (but saw as extraneous) at the time.
Brown/Boyes- Hated Boyes, didn't mind seeing him go and I am not surprised he has found success- don't think he would have found it here.

Draft:
Second round- very impressive; Carle, Vlasic, McGinn
first round- horrid. Despite Kopitar, Seto was a good pick while Michalek was exactly what they wanted. Unfortunately it so happened that going risky in both situations could have proved highly profitable (Kopitar, Getzlaf, Richards, Parise, Perry). Bernier was a pretty unfortunate pick far too many better players around him. Hated Wishart, Couture was good but wrong position IMO (wanted Eller/Perron). Petrecki is fine, but making me nervous. Trading of pics is ridiciulous.
Late rounds/goalies/signings- solid in the past. Future? They should start trading down because Burke has been so successful with late rounds. If we need wingers (we do, in a big way), stop taking so many good damn goalies and d-men. Also, Burke needs to get out of his comfort zone.

Culture- Tight-knit group of players is certainly a positive. Lots of guys re-sign. Considered winners, albeit as chokeartists. Not the FA destination it could be. Needs to figure out a style of play and stick with it. Are we puck pursuit, possession, or dump-and-chase? Needs to get away from size vs. speed-> they are equally important. I think we make too many moves period, but the core must be somewhat consistent beyond Thornton, Marleau, Heatley, Boyle, Pavelski and Vlasic. I think he needs to focus more on building around these guys via free agency (yes overpayment) and draft (hold onto picks) that constantly trading assets.

Overall, I think Doug is average. He does some things well, some not so well. As for moves I wished he made: keep Ehrhoff at the expense of Murray (not signed); acquiring Ballard. I hope he is waiting for next years free agency.

Aside from Setoguchi and Thornton (likely re-signing soon), we could ice the same top 9 except McGinn (minor raise) next year. With Niittymaki, Murray, Vlasic, Boyle and most of that top 9, the team is in pretty good spot with Huskins and Wallin off the books, leaving plenty to grab a top 4 d-man or two.
Top post, although I would suggest he's slightly above averge on the whole. Not sure I can think of 10-15 GMs ahead of him at this point, personally.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:04 AM
  #57
dumpnchase
Registered User
 
dumpnchase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post
"your clearly new to the nhl" uh what? do you say that to everyone who doesn't agree with you? Ok. Just because I've only known about hfboards for 2 years now(instead of 5 for you) doesn't mean I haven't watched them for more.

As for that list of crap GM's, yes I know who they are, there are worse GM's out there, I never said there wasn't. I said I'd take the risk for a new approach.

-I meant lombardi, sutter was coach at the time >_<. Get them switched because sutter's a gm now.
I said you are new to the NHL not because of your hfboards signup date (I didn't even bother looking at 'til now) but because from reading your post it looks like you didn't even know the basics of the Sharks & DW.

You are assuming that a different GM will get you the cup. He could come in and ruin/tear apart your team. Than you'll want a new GM. Build a team correctly is a process that takes at least 3 years (if you are lucky with your picks), so even with a new GM you probably won't see results for another 3-5 years. (ANA & CHI are not your typical situations they are outliers.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post
-Point being DW is just an ex-player, hall of famer or not(he's not, yet at least, and never won a cup), if we can throw coaches under the bus for consistent playoff failure why not the head honcho? DW puts so much emphasis on getting cup winners, yet look at him, hypocrite?
Coaches get thrown under the bus because for most coaches after 4-6 years their message becomes boring & ineffective for players. Only a handful coaches last more than 6 years nowadays. Coaching & Managing are two different tasks.

By the same standard you & I haven't played a single NHL game so we are hypocrites for trying to shape the Sharks roster into something they aren't? Warren Strelow was never a good goalie but he was one of the best goalie coaches ever. Dean Lombardi had no hockey background until he married into a hockey family. Gretzky is one of the best players ever yet he couldn't coach the Coyotes into the playoffs. In the 2002 Olympics he couldn't get the gold for Canada. Playing & managing are two different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post
-the cap hit on that deal was still enough to make us lose ehrhoff on top of milan, considering our
offense was perfectly fine I don't see why we'd shed our D apart for a one dimensional sniper.
-blake is gone now, as our D just keeps depleting, and his first contract was absolutely disgusting for a 39 year old-former norris winner or not.

800k raise isn't huge for a good ufa, and no he would NOT have gotten that in the market. If foster only gets 1.8 there's no way wallin pulls 2.5.
DW missed the boat on the Christian trade, not because he trade him but because he traded him for so little. You don't know what went down behind the scenes in Yawney vs. Ehrhoff.

Milan is a good player but with him on the Sharks we wouldn't be a better team. We were able to trade a good player (Milan) for & a salary dump (Cheechoo, a negative trade value guy) for one of the NHLs top scorers, who wants to play for your team I'll do that any day.

As for the Wallin signing his salary is inline with the UFA market.

See other UFA signings
Eaton, Mark D NY Islanders $5M 2 $2.5M
Tallinder, Henrik D New Jersey $13.5M 4 $3.375M
Lydman, Toni D Anaheim $9M 3 $3M
Leopold, Jordan D Buffalo $9M 3 $3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post
-'everyone mentions how we haven't won the cup, as long as we make the playoffs I'll keep renewing my Season tickets! yay for mediocrity!' typical drone response.
Since when is finishing top 3 in the conference year after year is mediocrity? Winning the Cup requires 16 wins, we have finished with 45+ wins for 4 straight years. 3 50+ win seasons & 1 49win season, this from a team that holds the record for the most losses in a season. That is meaningless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarByte View Post
When the expectations are already that your team makes the playoffs, should the management be content with just doing that and getting the boot? it sells tickets.

I understand loyalty, stick with them no matter what, but it's ridiculous how people just say "at least we're winning in the regular season..." Frankly I'd rather be crappy a few years if it means the cup when we get out of the hole.

The fact that people are so horrified at the thought of having a few losing seasons shows exactly how empty our tank will be when it happens.
Losing/missing playoffs DOES NOT mean a Cup.

Unless I was playing for the Cup I couldn't care less about it...as a fan do I get my name on it? No. Nothing I do will affect the outcome of the Cup so why should be concerned with it?

What I care about is having a team that I enjoy watching. The regular season spans 8 months whereas the playoffs 2 and 1/2 months. With the Sharks I have a team that continues to win 9 months out of a possible 10 1/2 months. They don't play a boring style of hockey why I should I care for the Cup?

The NHL no longer has a dynasty, so you aren't going to see a team win 5 or more cups in a span of 10 years, not going to happen no matter what type of a team you ice. Getting 2-3 cups in 10 years is a huge achievement.

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:47 AM
  #58
vilpertti
Registered User
 
vilpertti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
If staying out of the playoffs was a sure ticket to Stanley Cup, the Islanders would be pretty unstoppable by now.

And people demanding DW should've got this and that player, how can you be sure the deal was ever there for him to pull off? Like the Thornton trade, it caught the rest of the league by surprise. It's not NHL10 over there.

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:15 PM
  #59
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 34,234
vCash: 500
I like how people are now going to try and rationalize the Huskins signing. It was and still is one of the most awful signings DW has done. For a guy with Huskins' history up until then, he should've gotten paid 1 mil and outplayed that contract into the one he has now. Secondly, flat out handing the Ducks a 4th round pick to keep him compounded such a ridiculous overpayment on what is an easily replaceable position.

Now Huskins was definitely a solid guy back there for the latter two-thirds of the season but it still doesn't make up for the overpayment and asset given up to keep him.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:46 PM
  #60
Esoteric Ubiquity*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpnchase View Post
As for the Wallin signing his salary is inline with the UFA market.

See other UFA signings
Eaton, Mark D NY Islanders $5M 2 $2.5M
Tallinder, Henrik D New Jersey $13.5M 4 $3.375M
Lydman, Toni D Anaheim $9M 3 $3M
Leopold, Jordan D Buffalo $9M 3 $3M


Eaton is more serviceable than Wallin.and Tallinder and Lydman are much superior to Wallin.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:07 PM
  #61
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post

I wonder in Wayne Thomas is next in line for Sharks GM. Maybe Tim Burke, Joe Will, etc.
Wayne Thomas is headed to retirement (one of the other threads).

Other stuff:
A tight definition for dynasty now would be 2 wins in 5 years plus making the playoffs all 5 years.

Tanking does not guarantee a rebuild. The "win it now" mode has a very uncertain payback. See Edmonton, Toronto and Anaheim possibly. Stinking for 2 or 3 years does not mean coming out of it.

It puts a much finer definition on team performance to count playoff rounds over time. It is also a much closer definition for financial success which helps to keep fan and owner expectations in the same range.

D&C,
O'Donnell is much more of a comp to Wallin than Eaton, etc. And even O'Donnell is better if only slightly.

On coaches, there are some with longevity, Trotz and Ruff. They have found a way and they tend to get results in terms of playoff rounds versus payroll. Babcock is getting up there and Lemaire had a long tenure. All 4 get good results. We'll see how it plays out, but I bet that there will be a handful that we will look back and say that they didn't fall prey to the dead message issue. Turnover is not written in stone.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:37 PM
  #62
Janney
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Wayne Thomas is headed to retirement (one of the other threads).

Other stuff:
A tight definition for dynasty now would be 2 wins in 5 years plus making the playoffs all 5 years.

Tanking does not guarantee a rebuild. The "win it now" mode has a very uncertain payback. See Edmonton, Toronto and Anaheim possibly. Stinking for 2 or 3 years does not mean coming out of it.

It puts a much finer definition on team performance to count playoff rounds over time. It is also a much closer definition for financial success which helps to keep fan and owner expectations in the same range.

D&C,
O'Donnell is much more of a comp to Wallin than Eaton, etc. And even O'Donnell is better if only slightly.

On coaches, there are some with longevity, Trotz and Ruff. They have found a way and they tend to get results in terms of playoff rounds versus payroll. Babcock is getting up there and Lemaire had a long tenure. All 4 get good results. We'll see how it plays out, but I bet that there will be a handful that we will look back and say that they didn't fall prey to the dead message issue. Turnover is not written in stone.
Thank you, my biggest pet peeve is when people start spewing that crap about "well Pittsburgh did and Chicago did it". Islanders didn't do it, Toronto didn't do it, Atlanta didn't do it, Edmonton didn't do it, Florida didn't do it and they've all been sucking.

Janney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:08 PM
  #63
dumpnchase
Registered User
 
dumpnchase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Wayne Thomas is headed to retirement (one of the other threads).

Other stuff:
A tight definition for dynasty now would be 2 wins in 5 years plus making the playoffs all 5 years.

Tanking does not guarantee a rebuild. The "win it now" mode has a very uncertain payback. See Edmonton, Toronto and Anaheim possibly. Stinking for 2 or 3 years does not mean coming out of it.

It puts a much finer definition on team performance to count playoff rounds over time. It is also a much closer definition for financial success which helps to keep fan and owner expectations in the same range.

D&C,
O'Donnell is much more of a comp to Wallin than Eaton, etc. And even O'Donnell is better if only slightly.

On coaches, there are some with longevity, Trotz and Ruff. They have found a way and they tend to get results in terms of playoff rounds versus payroll. Babcock is getting up there and Lemaire had a long tenure. All 4 get good results. We'll see how it plays out, but I bet that there will be a handful that we will look back and say that they didn't fall prey to the dead message issue. Turnover is not written in stone.
I missed O'Donnell.

Tallinder, Lydman, Leopold are not the best comparisons, I should have left them out. I was just trying to point out that Wallin's raise wasn't as crazy as it sounds, what should be crazy is why he was brought back. DW probably saw something in him. Huskins didn't totally bust out, sure DW gave him a contract when he didn't even play a single game for the Sharks.

With coaches all I am saying is that coaches change in the NHL at a pretty fast face and one of the biggest reasons is "dead message issue".

If the Sharks replaced DW internally the closest person would be Ricci. If they changed DW it would probably be someone not currently in the Sharks org.

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:13 PM
  #64
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,507
vCash: 500
So we all agree that DW should have got more for Ehrhoff. What would he have been worth at that time with regard to draft picks - was he worth a first round pick?

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:15 PM
  #65
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Wayne Thomas is headed to retirement (one of the other threads).
I did see it. I'm still thinking if he's offered the Sharks GM job - he takes it and delays retirement a little while...

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:15 PM
  #66
5H4RK5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,689
vCash: 500
I would trade in Doug "Mr. Obvious" Wilson
for the new and improved Doug " I will learn from my mistakes and make the right moves from now on." Wilson.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:34 PM
  #67
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
So we all agree that DW should have got more for Ehrhoff. What would he have been worth at that time with regard to draft picks - was he worth a first round pick?
He was worth Chimera+. To Washington, he got Chris Clark and Jurcina. Overpaid 4th liner and 7th dman. As opposed to two failing prospects. Chimera in terms of picks is a 2nd or a 3rd, and Columbus would have had to sweeten the deal for Ehrhoff<->Chimera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
I did see it. I'm still thinking if he's offered the Sharks GM job - he takes it and delays retirement a little while...
Don't even go there on Thomas. They have been deducting from his responsibilities for a while. There are some very strong reasons why he won't be a good GM as well as strong reasons why he wouldn't get the job.

Internally, Ricci might be the closest and possibly JFJ.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:10 AM
  #68
WineShark
Registered User
 
WineShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Napa Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
He was worth Chimera+. To Washington, he got Chris Clark and Jurcina. Overpaid 4th liner and 7th dman. As opposed to two failing prospects. Chimera in terms of picks is a 2nd or a 3rd, and Columbus would have had to sweeten the deal for Ehrhoff<->Chimera.


Don't even go there on Thomas. They have been deducting from his responsibilities for a while. There are some very strong reasons why he won't be a good GM as well as strong reasons why he wouldn't get the job.

Internally, Ricci might be the closest and possibly JFJ.
We would then have the best looking GM of all time.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:50 AM
  #69
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Internally, Ricci might be the closest and possibly JFJ.
I forgot about JFJ, is he serving as assistant to DW. Ricci has been more on the player/coaching side. Just saying that some experience would help.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:04 PM
  #70
Esoteric Ubiquity*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Internally, Ricci might be the closest and possibly JFJ.
I see no reason to hasten the transformation into the Toronto Maple Laughs.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:42 PM
  #71
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!
 
VP and GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: at home
Country: United States
Posts: 5,507
vCash: 500
Ok, I'll officially throw my hat into the ring for the job. :-)

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:02 PM
  #72
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric Ubiquity View Post
I see no reason to hasten the transformation into the Toronto Maple Laughs.
Nor do I. I was just giving the two guys most likely if it is from within. Both have big drawbacks.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.