HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking Ahead to Next Year's Offseason...

Old
07-03-2010, 09:51 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Looking Ahead to Next Year's Offseason...

Well, since not much seems to be going on after the frenzy of the first day of UFA died down (why oh why couldn't Slats look for his enforcer after everything slowed down?) I thought I'd introduce a new topic.

Before I pose the question, let me just say that I hope this thread winds up being something we all look back on for a chuckle in eight months time. Maybe we pull a rabbit out of the hat and get Kovy on a manageable deal. Maybe Glen rips off another GM on the order of last year's Gomez transaction and we get Ryan for like Gilroy and Rozsival or something similar. Maybe Grachev shocks us all and wins rookie of the year, outscoring Hall and Seguin combined. But since I see all of those as very unlikely possibilities...

I'm looking at this team as it is currently composed and I see much the same finish as we saw this year - potentially a few spots lower. Now combine this roster with the possibility that Slats might actually take his head out of his ass and sell at the deadline this time (more likely on an acknowledged rebuild year IMO) we MIGHT have a shot at a top five pick. So, my question is for the board members who follow the underagers much more closely than I do:

I know that this year is meant to be a pretty poor draft (perfect timing for the Rangers, we might actually tank and we do it in a terrible year), but does that refer to the depth of the draft or is that true beginning at pick 1? Who are the top prospects? How would they have been ranked in, say, this year's draft? Is there anyone who compares to Seguin or Hall?

Most importantly, if we do finally get a top five pick, will we actually have a shot a legitimate game-changing first line talent?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:59 PM
John Torturella

Can we get through this offseason please? Also, we missed the playoffs last year by one point. How exactly are people expecting us to get a top 5 pick when our team is only going to get better?

When you think about it, if we replace Redden with McDonagh or someone competent and perhaps a player like Grachev or Stepan make the team and then consider the likes of Dubinsky, Anisimov, maybe Callahan and probably Staal improve their games as they should, we will probably make the playoffs as a 6-8, maybe even 5 seed.

The negativity on this message board is completely over the top.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:04 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

You know the outlook for the season looks bleak when you're already talking about NEXT offseason

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Can i start the lottery watch counter?

No seriously.....

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:10 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Can i start the lottery watch counter?

No seriously.....
After Lebron makes his decision my next avatar will be Adam Larsson

Old
07-03-2010, 10:10 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Can we get through this offseason please? Also, we missed the playoffs last year by one point. How exactly are people expecting us to get a top 5 pick when our team is only going to get better?

When you think about it, if we replace Redden with McDonagh or someone competent and perhaps a player like Grachev or Stepan make the team and then consider the likes of Dubinsky, Anisimov, maybe Callahan and probably Staal improve their games as they should, we will probably make the playoffs as a 6-8, maybe even 5 seed.

The negativity on this message board is completely over the top.
Only outdone by the blind optimism of the "anything can happen" crowd.

Look, as I said, I hope this question winds up being moot for us. But, I happen to think that AS WE STAND NOW, this is a bottom third of the league team. Depending on how things play out, I think it is not implausible to say at the very least that the Rangers have a legitimiate shot at finishing in the top 5.

But ignore that fact - as a poster on a board with the moniker Hockey's Future, aren't you at least curious to hear about next year's draft crop from some of our very knowledgable posters? I know I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
You know the outlook for the season looks bleak when you're already talking about NEXT offseason
Yup.

Old
07-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I don't think the negativity is unfounded at all. Please take a moment to tell me where we improved beside the back up goalie position. Not only that but banking on Christensen to not have a let down is hardly comforting.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:19 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Only outdone by the blind optimism of the "anything can happen" crowd.

Look, as I said, I hope this question winds up being moot for us. But, I happen to think that AS WE STAND NOW, this is a bottom third of the league team. Depending on how things play out, I think it is not implausible to say at the very least that the Rangers have a legitimiate shot at finishing in the top 5.

But ignore that fact - as a poster on a board with the moniker Hockey's Future, aren't you at least curious to hear about next year's draft crop from some of our very knowledgable posters? I know I am.

Yup.
Oh sure. Lets get all the information we can on next year's draft. Because that will really get us places right now. How many of these posters had the guy we drafted on their radar in July of last year or heck even June of this year? Whats the point in examining something that is so murky at this point? Not only do we not know where we will draft, there is no telling at this point who the top players are. Its really stupid to declare the upcoming season over when we are not even through free agency this year.

Old
07-03-2010, 10:25 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Oh sure. Lets get all the information we can on next year's draft. Because that will really get us places right now. How many of these posters had the guy we drafted on their radar in July of last year or heck even June of this year? Whats the point in examining something that is so murky at this point? Not only do we not know where we will draft, there is no telling at this point who the top players are. Its really stupid to declare the upcoming season over when we are not even through free agency this year.
I disagree. I think it's very relevant.

But that's fine - if you don't agree with me, simply click the little x in the box next to the title. That allows you to ignore the thread.

Old
07-03-2010, 10:27 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Larsson, Courtuirer(sp?), and Nugent - Hopkins are the lottery picks as of now in the '11 entry draft. However, we all remember Kabanov and McFarland being highly touted and going from top 10 to the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so you never know.

The UFA list looks so much better. Thornton, Richards, Kaberle, Koivu(my most sought after next OS), Semin, Chara are to name a few.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:28 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
I disagree. I think it's very relevant.

But that's fine - if you don't agree with me, simply click the little x in the box next to the title. That allows you to ignore the thread.
So pretty much what you are saying is you can't handle a opposing opinion? So much for two sides to an argument. If you dont agree with something, ignore the thread because the HF Nazi said so.

Old
07-03-2010, 10:32 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
So pretty much what you are saying is you can't handle a opposing opinion? So much for two sides to an argument. If you dont agree with something, ignore the thread because the HF Nazi said so.
Wow, talk about interpreting something specifically to support your position.

Dude, I was talking about the relevance of the subject. I think it's very relevant. You don't. I therefore said that if you don't agree with me that this particular subject is relevant, then I suggest you simply ignore the thread. Jeez.

Old
07-03-2010, 10:46 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Wow, talk about interpreting something specifically to support your position.

Dude, I was talking about the relevance of the subject. I think it's very relevant. You don't. I therefore said that if you don't agree with me that this particular subject is relevant, then I suggest you simply ignore the thread. Jeez.
Its not very relevant at this point because its all one big question mark. Sure, the Rangers could get a lottery pick. They could just as easily pick in the 20s. There is so much parity that there really isn't much sense in discussing a draft that is so far off. You aren't considering my point at all. Its pretty valid if you think about it. Maybe in January you can start thinking about the draft. Right now though, we should be thinking about the short term, including trades, possible signings and training camp. The draft is a long way off. Thats all Im saying.

Old
07-03-2010, 10:49 PM
FOXHOUND*

Mikko koivu please

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:52 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Mikko koivu please
+1

Although I don't see him making it to FA, I think MIN will do everything it can to lock him up.

Old
07-03-2010, 10:54 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Mikko koivu please
Yep. 27 year old, ~70 point, 2 way center, who can be captain. And he played with Gaborik in Minnesota.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:21 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Its not very relevant at this point because its all one big question mark. Sure, the Rangers could get a lottery pick. They could just as easily pick in the 20s. There is so much parity that there really isn't much sense in discussing a draft that is so far off. You aren't considering my point at all. Its pretty valid if you think about it. Maybe in January you can start thinking about the draft. Right now though, we should be thinking about the short term, including trades, possible signings and training camp. The draft is a long way off. Thats all Im saying.
Fair enough. There are a dozen other threads going right now that consider all of those things. I have been posting regularly in them. However, I think it is VERY likely that barring significant roster shake-up, this team will finish in the top ten. If they then actually commit to selling at the deadline, they could then make the top five.

You know, it's ironic that you jumped all over me for being a "nazi" earlier, when the point of your posts are basically to try to come in here and say "NEIN! We cannot consider this, this subject is inappropriate to discuss! Es ist verboten!"

Anyway, back on topic. I agree Koivu would be my choice of the FAs who may be available next year - I just worry about him actually making it that far. Seems like every good young player in recent years gets locked up long before they hit UFA. That's why I was so gung-ho to get Kovy (who by the way is a whole level above Mikko) this offseason.

Any thoughts on the early projected prospects? Any of the forwards project as game breakers? Where would they have slotted in the draft we just had?

Old
07-03-2010, 11:51 PM
OverTheCap

I'm far from optimistic, I'd consider myself a realist with low expectations. But even I don't think that the Rangers will be nearly as bad next season as some are making it out to be. Glen has still ensured that the cycle of mediocrity will continue... not good enough to make noise in the playoffs but not bad enough for a top 5 pick.

I think they will probably match last season's outcome, fighting for a playoff spot until the bitter end, and here are the reasons why:

(1) Minimal roster turnover. This is the first time in awhile that the Rangers have had any semblance of continuity from season to season. The players are familiar with each other, which will translate in the locker room and hopefully on the ice. We saw saw chemistry towards the end of the season, even when Gaborik was injured. It shouldn't take them until the last 2 weeks of the season to play as team this year.

(2) Elimination of negative locker room influences. Getting rid of Kotalik, Brashear, Jokinen, and hopefully Redden is addition by subtraction. Many of the these players set a bad example for the impressionable youngsters, and may have served as a distraction as well (Kotalik and Brashear's situations come to mind specifically). The locker room will be stronger without them.

(3) Continued development of last year's rookies and other young players. Anisimov, Del Zotto, and Gilroy all have a year of experience under their belt. Anisimov will likely be given an increased role offensively this well, and will probably see some top 6 time. Hopefully Del Zotto and Gilroy will have improved upon their defensive game and continue to progress offensively. Staal and Dubinsky took major strides in their development last season, and I think they can build upon that this year.

(4) Lundqvist finally has a legitimate backup. Biron is a solid backup capable of starting at least 15 games this season. We'll get more wins out of him than we did from our backups this past season. And Lundqvist will get some much needed and well-deserved rest, enabling him to be less fatigued throughout the course of the season.

Will the Rangers be cup contenders? Hell no, they have a good shot of missing the playoffs again. Will they be one of the 5 worst teams? Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I don't think so.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:19 AM
FOXHOUND*

I think granlund will have a big part of what happens with koivu. If they forsee him as someone who could be a #1C then maybe their urgency to sign him lessens. That's when we swoop in.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
I think granlund will have a big part of what happens with koivu. If they forsee him as someone who could be a #1C then maybe their urgency to sign him lessens. That's when we swoop in.
I don't think it would be very smart of Minnesota to rely on a 19 year old kid to be their first line center of the future. Sure they could hope for him to be, or even expect it, but you can be sure that Minnesota won't base their decision on what to do with Koivu, on a prospect that was just drafted.

Either way, I think that there is no chance in hell that Koivu makes it to free agency next year.

My top targets would be Bergeron and a sub-5million Alex Semin. And Larsson of course.

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:14 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

This team as of right now is going backwards...Forget that we missed the playoffs by 1 point. If we continue to go out there with Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik as a first line we may call it a season.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:26 AM
Yuck

The problem isn't going out with a first line of Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik, because they will score plenty of goals together. Its the goals coming from the other lines that are my concern.

Yuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:06 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
As long as Gaborik is healthy, we're going to score a decent amount of goals. I think your best bet is to go with Dubinsky-Christensen-Prospal (Prospal-Christensen-Gaborik never reallky clicked), hope Prospal and Callahan can both net between 15 and 25 goals on the 2nd line, and that Anisimov will step it up a notch and score 15 or so. Then you also hope that Avery can net around 10-15 and that Drury can come up with the same number.

I don't think it's as bad as some of you think, given, I just presented a lot of if's (realistic ones, however.)

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:08 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Next off-season will have pretty basic priorities, find a #1 center and improve on defense. Hopefully Grachev or MZA is ready next season so we won't have to do too much work on the wings (Grachev, MZA, Gaborik, Dubinsky...?)

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:22 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Carl Hagelin and Jesper Fasth.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote