HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne has agreed to waive his no trade clause

Old
07-02-2010, 11:46 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
husband: "dear, could you stop by the store to get some hot dogs and buns?"

ONE HOUR LATER...

wife: "im back! i got 400 pounds of expired steak, the entire cheese section, and some dog food. but the dog food looked real good, so i payed EXTRA for it!"

husband: "why. why would you do this?"

wife: "by the way, i had to sell our car to afford all this."

thats what this feels like to me....and i see no way we get so much from LA. thats just fantasy.
You are soooo good at expressing my feelings. Thank you.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Mgkibbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
If that deal were to go down it's obvious Holmgren has "pictures" of Lombardi or some other kind of dirt on him resulting from his stint in Philly.....

That trade is insane! Chicago might as well send us the Cup now.....
I don't see why the deal is so bad other than Kovalchuks contract. They don't seem to believe in Johnson anymore, Carter and Kopitar cancel out, Gagne and Brown cancel out, and they already have a capable starting G. Not a great deal for the Kings, but not horrible. Just looks worse than it is because of all the names involved.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:51 PM
PhillyCurt12

that trade is absurd... LA could take out JJ or we could add carle or even they take out JJ and we add some picks/prospects and i would still run away giggling like a little girl and yelling "no take backsies!"

kopitar is really the only non-flyer mancrush i have to rival that of the koivu's.

as for the grocery analogy... we certainly did stockpile our fridge, didn't we? i don't understand why everyone is complaining?!?!?! /confusionfromotherboards

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:54 PM
FlyerEra2010

Wow, just got back home. I was just gonna check real quick to see if there was any news on Gagne and then go to bed, but now I don't think I can. What the hell? Is this deal actually possible? My mind will explode if this is pulled off. The Kings want Kovy that badly? I guess we move one of Coburn/Carle/Meszaros and get rid of Boucher to fit everyone in? Geez, so many questions.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:57 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
Wow, just got back home. I was just gonna check real quick to see if there was any news on Gagne and then go to bed, but now I don't think I can. What the hell? Is this deal actually possible? My mind will explode if this is pulled off. The Kings want Kovy that badly? I guess we move one of Coburn/Carle/Meszaros and get rid of Boucher to fit everyone in? Geez, so many questions.
its not going to happen. It was something a fan posted in the comments section on hockeybuzz, but has since been proved false.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
If we trade Gagne to the Kings, I want Quick back.

But I realize that a lot of things are too much to ask for the Flyers, so I'll amend that to "if Gagne has to be traded, please let it be to the Kings."

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:01 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
its not going to happen. It was something a fan posted in the comments section on hockeybuzz, but has since been proved false.
Yeah the dude who posted it disappeared

This post by CheeversMask ripping on the guy who started the rumor was priceless

Quote:
richards, come out and plaayyyyyyy. If you are going to make up a crazy arse rumor, at least check the math for the cap! Then u at least may have a few actaully believe your dribble. Get back in your Mom's basement, put down your chippendales calendar, and go to bed.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:03 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Yeah there is really no way we make out well in this situation. I just hope there is a lot of lube.

Old
07-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
You are soooo good at expressing my feelings. Thank you.
i do what i can, kind sir

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:06 AM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
Lol, my head was swimming for a minute there trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Guess I'll rest easy tonight, thanks.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:09 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
i do what i can, kind sir
I hope to see what it is like when you express joy. How ever that Picard avatar representing the horror of this off season is 'fantastic' one of my favorite characters representing the current horror to my favorite team. It's almost to appropriate.

Old
07-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Terence Peterman

Some things are just undeniable. The sky is blue, the grass is green, Simon Gagne is a Flyer. This shouldn't be happening. We shouldn't be where we are today.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I hope to see what it is like when you express joy. How ever that Picard avatar representing the horror of this off season is 'fantastic' one of my favorite characters representing the current horror to my favorite team. It's almost to appropriate.
im afraid im better at expressing bitter disapointment, haha.

and yeah. picard is the man.

Old
07-03-2010, 12:14 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
So has gagne actually been traded? or is it still rumor?

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I would hate to see Gags go. One of my all-time favorite flyers but if we get a good return. Sign me up.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Some things are just undeniable. The sky is blue, the grass is green, Simon Gagne is a Flyer. This shouldn't be happening. We shouldn't be where we are today.
perfect, just spot on. my "be a pro" in nhl 10 has made some interesting flyers trades...most notably richards to wherever, and gagne to toronto.

when i play and see richards, i think "thats kind of funny, game."

when i play toronto and see gagne, i think "**** you game, that's a travesty."

Old
07-03-2010, 12:18 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
im afraid im better at expressing bitter disapointment, haha.

and yeah. picard is the man.
Yeah well I guess as Flyers fans we are far more familiar with bitter disappointment than joy.

Old
07-03-2010, 12:20 AM
SolidSnakeUS

To be honest, I'd take these ****** deals and Shelley and whatnot anyday to keep Gagne. Seriously, I would probably cry if he left...

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:32 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
WTF are you talking about...LMAO...

year in and year out????? The cap was instituted in 2005-2006 after the 2004-2005 lockout season. Clarke had one whole year to work with the cap and it resulted in him getting canned in 2006-2007...which turned out to be the worst season in Flyers history! His awesome moves in 2005-2006 were Brad Tapper, Nolan Baumgartner and some other scrubs.
The problem in 2006-2007 was none of Clarke's doing. He positioned the team well coming out of the lock out. The problem was that Desjardins retired, Johnsson got a ridiculous contract offer from Minnesota and the move that hamstrung the team the most was Primeau's refusal to retire.

It has been well documented that doctors told Primeau at the start of the playoffs that he would never be cleared to play again. But, being the stubborn jackass that he was, he continued to seek other opinions, even after multiple doctors told him he wasn't going to be cleared due to post concussion syndromes. Clarke couldn't cut him because it would have counted against the cap and Primeau wasn't going to retire until he exhausted all other avenues. That left the Flyers in a bind simply because Gagne needed a new contract and once he signed, there wasn't much money left over. If Primeau retired, Handzus stays a Flyer and assumes Primeau's role and maybe Kim Johnsson re-signs. No, the 2006-2007 falls squarely on Primeau's shoulders for failing to see the writing on the wall.

And, even when the 2006-2007 season was over, Clarke had the team setup in such a manner that there was going to be all kinds of money to spend. Don't kid yourself about Clarke. He had the insight to look out down the road three to four seasons. He always knew when to stock up on draft picks for certain drafts and he knew when to unload draft picks if the draft was going to be poor. The man may not have had the best track record with regards to goaltenders, but he always put a quality product on the ice and he always left the team in a good position to be competitive year in and year out.

In Holmgren's tenure, he's managed to piss away valuable cap space, hand out over inflated contracts like they were candy, realize his contractual mistakes and send the player plus a draft pick to some other team and then make the same mistake over again. As well, it should be noted that he deals away draft picks like they're nothing and he's basically emptied the farm system of any blue chip prospects (really, the only blue chippers in the system are Eriksson and Bobrovsky and even they've got more question marks than answers) without replenishing the stock. Say what you want, but Holmgren has done a much, much, much worse job than what Clarke did during his tenure with the salary cap.

You want to hear the honest to God's truth? The biggest mistake this franchise EVER made was when Clarke stepped down, they replaced him with someone from within. If Snider would have done his due diligence, he would have hired someone from outside the organization. They would have brought a fresh view with regards to how the organization is run and they would have probably fixed things. Instead, he put someone in charge that has a similar view to Clarke's and he put someone in charge who had decimated a franchise previously (see Whalers, Hartford). Holmgren has proved his stupidity over and over again and continues to make bad move after bad move.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The problem in 2006-2007 was none of Clarke's doing. He positioned the team well coming out of the lock out. The problem was that Desjardins retired, Johnsson got a ridiculous contract offer from Minnesota and the move that hamstrung the team the most was Primeau's refusal to retire.

It has been well documented that doctors told Primeau at the start of the playoffs that he would never be cleared to play again. But, being the stubborn jackass that he was, he continued to seek other opinions, even after multiple doctors told him he wasn't going to be cleared due to post concussion syndromes. Clarke couldn't cut him because it would have counted against the cap and Primeau wasn't going to retire until he exhausted all other avenues. That left the Flyers in a bind simply because Gagne needed a new contract and once he signed, there wasn't much money left over. If Primeau retired, Handzus stays a Flyer and assumes Primeau's role and maybe Kim Johnsson re-signs. No, the 2006-2007 falls squarely on Primeau's shoulders for failing to see the writing on the wall.

And, even when the 2006-2007 season was over, Clarke had the team setup in such a manner that there was going to be all kinds of money to spend. Don't kid yourself about Clarke. He had the insight to look out down the road three to four seasons. He always knew when to stock up on draft picks for certain drafts and he knew when to unload draft picks if the draft was going to be poor. The man may not have had the best track record with regards to goaltenders, but he always put a quality product on the ice and he always left the team in a good position to be competitive year in and year out.

In Holmgren's tenure, he's managed to piss away valuable cap space, hand out over inflated contracts like they were candy, realize his contractual mistakes and send the player plus a draft pick to some other team and then make the same mistake over again. As well, it should be noted that he deals away draft picks like they're nothing and he's basically emptied the farm system of any blue chip prospects (really, the only blue chippers in the system are Eriksson and Bobrovsky and even they've got more question marks than answers) without replenishing the stock. Say what you want, but Holmgren has done a much, much, much worse job than what Clarke did during his tenure with the salary cap.

You want to hear the honest to God's truth? The biggest mistake this franchise EVER made was when Clarke stepped down, they replaced him with someone from within. If Snider would have done his due diligence, he would have hired someone from outside the organization. They would have brought a fresh view with regards to how the organization is run and they would have probably fixed things. Instead, he put someone in charge that has a similar view to Clarke's and he put someone in charge who had decimated a franchise previously (see Whalers, Hartford). Holmgren has proved his stupidity over and over again and continues to make bad move after bad move.
This made me appreciate Clarke in a way I don't feel was possible before. I haven't been as aware as long as some of you guys, but I can't really find any big issue with anything you said. It's true. Clarke might have appeared as a jerk-off, but it wasn't because he was a dumbass. His biggest problem ended up being poor and inconvenient timing. Holmgren's biggest problem is he isn't actually suited for the job of GM at all.

What I don't get is what has to happen to have this guy ****ing fired. It's not as if he'll literally be fired by a dragon spitting it at his ass for the rest of his life...he'll get put into some made up position which still pays six digits a year. He's made for life. It's not like there's any bad blood that could come from firing him and, even then, who the **** cares? Snider would be the one canning his ass, and he's Ed ****ing Snider. He can do whatever the **** he wants, but even he doesn't seem to realize that. God damnit, this whole mess is so ****ing frustrating.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:43 AM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

While I don't necessarily agree with some of the comments about Primeau, this post is QFT in a bajillion ways. This is post of the year, especially that last paragraph.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
While I don't necessarily agree with some of the comments about Primeau, this post is QFT in a bajillion ways. This is post of the year, especially that last paragraph.
While I appreciate the situation Primeau was in (it's tough to stop doing something you love to do), his situation that summer completely *ed us, and there was nothing Clarke could do about it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Also, what seems like it was Homer's biggest strength was his eye for talent in the draft. And he neutralizes that by trading away his draft picks...Honestly, I don't know where to even begin with him.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:52 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Also, what seems like it was Homer's biggest strength was his eye for talent in the draft. And he neutralizes that by trading away his draft picks...Honestly, I don't know where to even begin with him.
FWIW: if you try that same tactic in NHL10 Be a GM mode, you lose all credibility and get fired, lol.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
FWIW: if you try that same tactic in NHL10 Be a GM mode, you lose all credibility and get fired, lol.
Things are bad when a video game is more realistic than the situation at hand...

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote