HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Coach Candidates

Old
07-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seabass
Where's Marc Habscheid these days? I remember thinking when he left Kelowna that he'd turn into something. Haven't heard much from him since.

Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:15 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Bob Errey?
Oh god, i can just picture it now....he is running around with a ***** in his hand sticking it in the ears of the players when they least expect it giggling like a little girl and looking in the stands for the hot chicks and telling the players where to look. Not that i have anything wrong with that personally...i am never NOT looking at the girls myself, but in a pro game don't do that when you are working.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:47 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Reirden is the obvious choice for me. He knows the system, he knows the players, he's a former d-man himself.

Get a guy like Cunneyworth or Anderson down in Wilkes-Barre.
I think it's a general consensus down in WBS that Reirden is an inept coach that doesn't deserve to even be coaching the minor league team. I've only ever heard bad things of him as a coach. I have no firsthand knowledge though so I could be off base here.

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:51 AM
maxpenguins6630

Boughner in the AHL with Baby Pens please...

maxpenguins6630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Freeptop

Anyone who is saying Coffey should probably give up that pipe dream. Here's a quote from him about the possibility of him being a coach:

Quote:
The 45-year-old wrestled with the idea of coaching. He even did some consulting work with Gretzky's Phoenix Coyotes for a couple years, and was invited to become more involved with the team.

"A huge part of me wanted to do it," Coffey says. "You could feel the juices flowing. But another part of me -- and not that Wayne and Kevin [Lowe] and these guys do--but I didn't want to miss my kids growing up.

"And I knew what the commitment was to play, and that's why I didn't get married until I was 33-years-old. I knew that when I get in to a funk as a player, and things aren't going well -- you don't want to be around anyone.

"It's tunnel vision: who are you playing tonight? Are my sticks good? Are my skates right, am I working hard enough, am I eating the right food, and how do I get better? That's as a player.

"Coaching is even harder on you."

Coffey was explaining to a reporter why he chose selling cars over gunning for more Stanley Cup glory in an office that isn't much bigger than your average cubicle -- and was about as messy as your average 10-yearold boy's bedroom.
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/tor...9-612efa0f4d39

If Coffey had wanted to be a coach, he'd be one by now. Instead, he's the owner of a couple of used car dealerships in Ontario.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Boughner is reported as having left Windsor and accepted an assistant coach position with Columbus.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 01:28 AM
peskypenguin4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Boughner is reported as having left Windsor and accepted an assistant coach position with Columbus.
I'll be really upset if we didn't jump on him.

peskypenguin4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
That's unfortunate.
I was excited for kuehnhackl to play for him next season.

Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Konstantin Koltsov

Quote:
This is a real bummer. Boughner seemed to fit in so well in Windsor, I figured he would only leave if he could get a head coaching job. Woulda been a great addition to the Pens. I guess my wish list is down to Ulf Samuelsson and Rick Tocchet.

Konstantin Koltsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Wickedtune

Don't know if this is accurate or not, since the information came from Madden, but here are people that have supposedly been interviewed for the job:

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/pittsb...assitant-coach

Sydor? Really?

Wickedtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:31 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I thought Sydor left here on bad terms?

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:35 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedtune View Post
Don't know if this is accurate or not, since the information came from Madden, but here are people that have supposedly been interviewed for the job:

Sydor? Really?
Smith is the way to go with all those Cup winning teams. I think his knowledge would have to be a plus.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
BrOrpik 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
I thought Sydor left here on bad terms?
I think Sydor wants to get back on Malkin for this hit :

The best way? Joining the penguins once again and start backtalking people so that they hate Malkin.

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:36 PM

Gotta wonder what Dave King is doing?

#66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:04 PM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Having medical problems. Dude's got a bum ticker.

HandshakeLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:

Sydor? Really?
Smith would be my first choice out of those, and Ramsey my second.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Jacob

Mike Ramsey would be an excellent choice. Of all the names being thrown out there, I think he best fits the bill.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:38 AM
66-29-33

Quote:

Sydor? Really?
Give me Smith. Coach B could learn alot from Smith.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Nordekes

That's a shame about Dave King being in bad health...I'm reading his book right now, and he seems very articulate and experienced, plus he's chummy with both 66 and Geno.

Forget where I saw/heard his name mentioned, but how awesome would Rob Blake be? He'd be able to mentor Letang/Goose and provide powerplay instruction. He played with Bylsma and Granato in LA and I'm pretty positive he went to BGSU with Bylsma, FWIW.

Barry Smith is the logical choice, however. I'll be disappointed if he did in fact interview and gets passed over.

Nordekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:10 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Lots of experience with winning teams, 11 years with the best run franchise in the league... in the Russian 5 era, international exposure (Russia no less), running good teams PP's... I would say that Smith fits the bill.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:25 AM
mynameistickle

Id be absolutely ecstatic if we got Mike Ramsey. I wouldnt be nearly as happy with Barry Smith, but hes still an excellent candidate.

Super upset we couldnt lure Bob Boughner...seriously though, why Columbus?? Scott Arneil is a realtive unknown at the NHL level, as well as no real pool of talent on their current NHL roster and not that many great prospects other than Ryan Johansen and John Moore...

A name i'd like to throw out there, is Phillipe Boucher. Mainly I like him due to the fact that he had a very offensive minded style of play from the backend, but he also could be a stabling physical presence, and brought a smart defensive game that included shot blocking and sprinkled in a hit or two when needed. He was a great mentor to Kris Letang during the limited period in which they played together in 08-09. He could very well do the same for Simon Despres. Maybe offer him a position in the AHL and see how that goes...couldn't hurt?

mynameistickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Neonbuzz

The best reason to hire Barry Smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9CBC1un4v8

Neonbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Mike Ramsey would be an excellent choice. Of all the names being thrown out there, I think he best fits the bill.
He would not be a bad pick at all. Defensive coach who knows how to run a powerplay and has experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistickle View Post
Id be absolutely ecstatic if we got Mike Ramsey. I wouldnt be nearly as happy with Barry Smith, but hes still an excellent candidate.

Super upset we couldnt lure Bob Boughner...seriously though, why Columbus?? Scott Arneil is a realtive unknown at the NHL level, as well as no real pool of talent on their current NHL roster and not that many great prospects other than Ryan Johansen and John Moore...

A name i'd like to throw out there, is Phillipe Boucher. Mainly I like him due to the fact that he had a very offensive minded style of play from the backend, but he also could be a stabling physical presence, and brought a smart defensive game that included shot blocking and sprinkled in a hit or two when needed. He was a great mentor to Kris Letang during the limited period in which they played together in 08-09. He could very well do the same for Simon Despres. Maybe offer him a position in the AHL and see how that goes...couldn't hurt?
Are you saying you wouldn't be happy with Smith, even though he is an excellent candidate?

Boughner is awesome, but the way I see it, he would only fix half of the coaching problem the Pens had last year. I don't have confidence in his ability to coach an NHL powerplay.

Boucher is in the same boat as Sydor, to me: I'm not sure either knows how to run a powerplay in the NHL (one was Zubov's sidekick and the other was his understudy) and neither has coaching experience. I would be upset if either were hired as an assistant for Pittsburgh.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:30 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

I have no idea why so many people want some former NHL'ers who just retired or have little to no coaching experience. Just because somebody happened to be a decent player and played a certain style game, doesn't make them a good coach.

Common people...

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Dave King is already an assistant coach in the NHL - with the Coyotes. Seeing as how he's under contract, he'd only be able to come to Pittsburgh if the Coyotes gave the Pens permission to do so. Under the circumstances, they're pretty unlikely to do that. Considering that it would be a lateral career move for him (i.e., not a promotion to head coach), I don't see him pushing for the job, either.

For those pushing for Ulf Samuelsson, the same problem applies - he's an associate coach with the Coyotes.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote