HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the chances

Old
07-02-2010, 11:39 PM
NWAvs

vCash: 500
What are the chances

Shattenkirk and Pickard both play next year?

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:42 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
50/50.

Either they make it, or they don't.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Why would Pickard play next year? I doubt Budaj will want to play in the AHL...

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Patrick19

Shattenkirk could very well be up with the Avs next season. He'll have to battle for a spot, but I see him as one of the first call-ups (at worst).

Pickard, on the other, will see absolutely no time with the big club and won't for another couple seasons.

Last edited by Patrick19: 07-03-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Patrick19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:15 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Shattenkirk - 100%. Maybe he won't make the team out of camp, but you can bet he'll be called up at some point.

Pickard - 0%. He's not old enough to play in the AHL, and won't be stealing the back-up role at age 18.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:20 AM
dsheehan73

0% for Pickard

25% for Shattenkirk

Typically takes longer for defensemen, especially if coming from NCAA. I can't see Shatty going direct. More likely would be Holos given where he's played.

dsheehan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Drury_Sakic

I would imagine that Shattenkirk gets a good long look in camp and then spends the first 20-30 games in the AHL and gets another look at around the mid season point. Of course if he is amazing in camp, is horrible in camp, or there is a major injury to the Avs roster that could change...

I would guess that the Avs start the year with,

Quincey-Hannan
Cumiskey-Foote
Wilson-Liles

and go from there depending on the prospects work out.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Starrlinx

Why in the world would Pickard play NEXT YEAR?! Give him a couple years...there is no rush.

Shattenkirk will play at some point. Can see him starting the year at LEM but midway through the year I think he'll be playing.

Starrlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvs View Post
Shattenkirk and Pickard both play next year?
Pickard will play but not for the avs.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Adama0905

No way in hell does Pickard play, but I could see Shattenkirk (if he's as good as he's supposed to be) logging top minutes with the putrid squad we call a defense.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:13 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

why do I think this thread was inspired by star trek?

and zero for pickard, we'll see for shatty

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:28 AM
jaisen73

Liles made the lead directly from NCAA to NHL (with a very brief stopover in the AHL, right after signing the spring before his first training camp) so I think it will depend on what kind of camp Shattenkirk has.

Pickard will get a lot of ice team in Seattle (WHL) and unless that team really turns it around he will continue to see a lot of shots.

jaisen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:41 AM
niwotsblessing

Shattenkirk is a better player than Cumiskey right now, with a much higher upside. Cumiskey better think about taking reps at LW, because Kirk, Holos and Gaunce will all challenge him in camp.

Pickard will play in the CHL next year.

Last edited by niwotsblessing: 07-03-2010 at 08:13 AM.
niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:46 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Shattenkirk is a better player than Cuminsky right now, with a much higher upside. Cuminsky better think about taking reps at LW, because Kirk, Holos and Gaunce will all challenge him in camp.

Picard will play in the CHL next year.
Who is Cuminsky?

And who is Picard?

It's really hard to take peoples opinions seriously when they can't even spell the players names right.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:56 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Who is Cuminsky?

And who is Picard?

It's really hard to take peoples opinions seriously when they can't even spell the players names right.
Agreed. Spend any time at all on the board and you should know their names just from that. Not to mention actually watching games. If you're still not sure, look the damn things up.

Galardi-Statsny-Stuart
Mewler-Duschesne-Hayduke
Yip-O'Ryley-Jones
McCloud-Winik-Coachie

Foot-Lyles
Hanan-Quinsee
Cuminsky-Wilson

Andersson
Boodie

Best team ever!!!1!1

(Damn names that can't possibly be spelled wrong)

Last edited by TheStranger: 07-03-2010 at 08:02 AM.
TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:13 AM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Who is Cuminsky?

And who is Picard?

Happy now?

Old
07-03-2010, 08:37 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Happy now?
With your spelling? Yes.

With your opinion? Hell no.

There is no way that Kirk is better than Cumiskey right now. Cumiskey was the teams best player, yes, player for stretches down the stretch last season. That play earned him a trip to the World Championships. To say a fresh-out-of-college player is better than him is a farce.

As for the "challenging" theory....Cumiskey has a top 6 spot locked up. Holos and Shattenkirk will likely be the two guys trying to make the team as a 6th/7th defender. Holos has more experience, so I think he slides in and makes the team.

Old
07-03-2010, 08:44 AM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
With your spelling? Yes.

With your opinion? Hell no.

There is no way that Kirk is better than Cumiskey right now. Cumiskey was the teams best player, yes, player for stretches down the stretch last season. That play earned him a trip to the World Championships. To say a fresh-out-of-college player is better than him is a farce.

As for the "challenging" theory....Cumiskey has a top 6 spot locked up. Holos and Shattenkirk will likely be the two guys trying to make the team as a 6th/7th defender. Holos has more experience, so I think he slides in and makes the team.
I'm happy to simply disagree. I just hope the coaching staff is more flexible in assessing their dmen than locking Cumiskey into a top 6 spot.

Old
07-03-2010, 08:54 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
I'm happy to simply disagree. I just hope the coaching staff is more flexible in assessing their dmen than locking Cumiskey into a top 6 spot.
Well, I didn't mean that they are locking him in, I just think that his play will get him in their.

He has a unique skill set that serves us much better on D than on a Wing. Hell, our coaches have tried that with Liles and Cumiskey and it failed both times.

Old
07-03-2010, 09:08 AM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Well, I didn't mean that they are locking him in, I just think that his play will get him in their.

He has a unique skill set that serves us much better on D than on a Wing. Hell, our coaches have tried that with Liles and Cumiskey and it failed both times.
They did it to Eric Messier too, and he remained a 4th liner, only I thought he was much better on the blueline. He was NHL rookie of the month once for his scoring, paired with Foote!

My concern with Cumiskey is his size, especially in the playoffs when the games grind on in later rounds. OTOH- having lot's of talented young players to evaluate is a good problem to have.

Old
07-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I honestly would be surprised if this team wasn't picking top 10 next year...

Old
07-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I honestly would be surprised if this team wasn't picking top 10 next year...
Really? I think they will be somewhat like last year without the long winning stretch in the beginning and losing stretch in the end. I think their record will end up being somewhat similar. I'm just hoping for more consistency and I think there will be considering the roster will be more expierenced and more familiar with Sacco and the NHL for that matter. But no way this team finishes below Calgary, Minnesota, or Edmonton. I say another 7th-9th place finish. That's at least how I see it.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

I think Shattenkirk could edge out Wilson for the 6th spot on the team. Wilson was a healthy scratch for stretches last year after coming back from his concussion. He wasn't quite the same player. Hopefully that's changed for the better this coming season. I see Shattenkirk playing on the bottom pairing with Wilson as the 7th guy.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:20 AM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
They did it to Eric Messier too, and he remained a 4th liner, only I thought he was much better on the blueline. He was NHL rookie of the month once for his scoring, paired with Foote!

My concern with Cumiskey is his size, especially in the playoffs when the games grind on in later rounds. OTOH- having lot's of talented young players to evaluate is a good problem to have.
If they aren't going to trade Cumiskey they need to let him get some good minutes. He has an interesting skill set and has proven that he can play against NHL forwards. Shatty certainly projects to be in a different tier of defensemen but he struggled a bit last year and hasn't played against NHL talent. He has played against older players in the NCAA and has played in Championship and WJC games of importance so his caliber of competition quotient is high. He still hasn't shown what he can do at this level though so you have to give Cumiskey the nod right now.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
Really? I think they will be somewhat like last year without the long winning stretch in the beginning and losing stretch in the end. I think their record will end up being somewhat similar. I'm just hoping for more consistency and I think there will be considering the roster will be more expierenced and more familiar with Sacco and the NHL for that matter. But no way this team finishes below Calgary, Minnesota, or Edmonton. I say another 7th-9th place finish. That's at least how I see it.
I don't see there being the perfect blend of Anderson trying to prove himself, and a handful of rookies trying to make a name for themselves happening next season....

I have low expectations next season for the Avs... hopefully I am pleasantly surprised