HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers Sign Alex Giroux

Old
07-03-2010, 12:48 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

vCash: 500
If the Oilers are that concerned about it, they shouldn't be handing out one way contracts to AHL superstars.

I'll also say, simply because I just know some people are thinking it, one-way and two-way contracts have no impact on waiver eligibility.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:51 AM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
If the Oilers are that concerned about it, they shouldn't be handing out one way contracts to AHL superstars.

I'll also say, just because I just know some people are thinking it, one-way and two-way contracts have no impact on waiver eligibility.
New farm team needs a SuperStar to get fan support. 1way contract so be it great signing.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Dogkota

I will never understand these AHL/NHL enigmas like Giroux, K. Aucoin, Haydar etc.

How the hell can Giroux score 60 goals in 69 games in a 2nd tier pro hockey league and not crack the NHL? Hopefully he makes the jump with the Oil.

Dogkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:55 AM
BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Yes, because the Oilers are so well known for "rushing" youngsters.

Let's see, there was Sam Gagner, and...

Exactly.
Cogliano, but I don't disagree.

BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:55 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post

I'll also say, simply because I just know some people are thinking it, one-way and two-way contracts have no impact on waiver eligibility.
Meh.

They're willing to spend money to make the Barons good. Whether it's one way or not only affects the real dollars, as Giroux will obviously clear waivers.

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 12:58 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Meh.

They're willing to spend money to make the Barons good. Whether it's one way or not only affects the real dollars, as Giroux will obviously clear waivers.
Thats what I'm saying.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:04 AM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
Cogliano, but I don't disagree.
Are you kidding me his first 2 seasons he scored 18 goals last year he struggled because Quin had him on the 4th line for the most of the year, I think he will rebound with all the positive thing's going on with Edmonton.

Last edited by MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE: 07-03-2010 at 01:20 AM.
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Edmonton is rushing all the kids in again? And nothing changes.
Yeah, we are rushing them:

Paajarvi-Svensson has scored well in Sweden and the world championships proved for me that he is ready:

Eberle is already past a point per game in the AHL after leading the WHL in scoring:He's ready

Hall, enough said. 1st overall. Leads the OHL in scoring with Tyler Seguin, and a point per game player at the world juniors-he's ready

The only guy who we rushed is still young, and Sam Gagner's career isn't ruined as of yet to not have a chance to recover still.

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Examples? And not just names because that's too easy. I want details, current and past examples of what players the Oilers have "rushed", and what aspect of their style of play suffered because they were "rushed" including details on what you think they should have done, for example keeping them in the minors another year and why it would have been more beneficial.

It's time to put up or shut up. Enthrall us with your hockey acumen.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:17 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
who tell me? cogs and gagner? who else? lets hear this.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzanPalani View Post
Edmonton is a bad team?
He shouldn't get more than 1 min a night I hate this signing brutal
Jeez.

You should read a book or something. Look at his stats in the AHL, and think out side the bloody box.

Him + crappy AHL/NHL team= good for the kids. How do you hate this signing?

You probably also think we'll land Kolvy too right?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:45 AM
um

i dont see why he cant make the nhl or at least get a good shot the caps have the best offense in the league of course its gonna be hard to make the caps but with the oilers they should give him a chance

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Edmonton is a bad team?
He shouldn't get more than 1 min a night I hate this signing brutal
Yes the Oilers are a bad team and no this isn't a brutal signing, we just got the best AHL player to help out the Barons.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:11 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Edmonton is a bad team?
Yes Edmonton is bad team. In fact they were the worst team in the league last season.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:15 AM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Yes Edmonton is bad team. In fact they were the worst team in the league last season.
Last year was last year = forget about
BUT THIS TEAM IS A LOT BETTER
Hall Horcoff Hemsky
Pajaarvi Gagner Eberle
Cogliano Brule Penner
Jones Fraser Stortini

Whitney Gilbert
Smid Foster
Vandermeer Chorney

Khabibulin

Old
07-03-2010, 02:29 AM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
One of them dominated the AHL level at a level that frankly blows Shirokov and Schroeder out of the water
Who Eberle?

He doesn't blow Schroeder out of the water, but way to take it to the extreme.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:30 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Hall Horcoff Hemsky
Pajaarvi Gagner Eberle
Cogliano Brule Penner
Jones Fraser Stortini

Whitney Gilbert
Smid Foster
Vandermeer Chorney

Khabibulin
I'm as big of an Oilers fan as they come, but NEWSFLASH, this still isn't a good team. They're just not AS bad.

At worst, they're probably not dead last, but still in 11-13 territory. At best, they MAYBE sneak into the 8th playoff spot...but can you honestly say that this team is as good as Colorado's squad last year (as the benchmark)? I can't.

Hemsky's a legit 1st line forward, capable of a PPG, MAYBE a bit more (given that he doesn't have great linemates).

Hall's a first year player who will be on the second line with sheltered minutes but lots of offensive opportunities (PP, 2nd line match-ups, etc.).

Horcoff is at best a 2-way 2nd line centre.

Penner could potentially put up 70 points, but I'd bank more on 60-70.

MPS and Eberle won't BOTH likely make this team. It's VERY uncommon to have 3 rookies in your top 6. I'd bank on MPS starting the year in the A.

Gagner's now a legit 2nd line C.

Cogliano's a big question mark.

Brule could be a legit 2nd liner or he could fade back into obscurity. Only 1 good year under his belt.

4th lines don't win games (or lose games, generally).

Whitney's a legit #2 d-man.

Gilbert's a legit #3 d-man.

Smid's a legit #4 d-man.

Foster's a legit bottom pairing d-man with PP duties.

Vandermeer, Strudwick and Peckham are all ok bottom pairing options. (Chorney, unlike Peckham, can be sent down to the AHL without being put on waivers...and he NEEDS to develop down there cuz he always looks lost in the NHL.)

To be a good team, Edmonton needs a stronger shut-down forward line, a #1 and/or another top-4 d-man, and at least one other forward who can produce big points and also hold his own against top-end offensive talent.

Edmonton's on its way up. It is still NOT a good team. If everybody progresses as planned, we could sneak into the playoffs. If not, this team's in for another long year.

Oh yeah, and if you think that signing the best AHL player in the game to a cheap 4th line-type contract where the team can use him as a 4th liner, an extra body in the pressbox, OR an AHL superstar, you're absolutely nuts. There's no possible negative in this signing, unless he becomes a dressing room cancer-- which does not seem to be the case.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:32 AM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

Quote:
Hall Horcoff Hemsky
Pajaarvi Gagner Eberle
Cogliano Brule Penner
Jones Fraser Stortini

Whitney Gilbert
Smid Foster
Vandermeer Chorney

Khabibulin
4 rookies, a bunch of 3rd-7th defenseman, an overpaid, small center, another small, 40 point center, a 30 point winger, then Penner and Hemsky. Still bad.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:36 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

How did this thread turn into a Canucks fan trolling Oilers about rushing rookies? You realize Eberle / Paajarvi have both been given more time to develop then Cogliano / Gagner (who I assume you're talking about) and Taylor hall is the 1st overall draft pick, they always get a shot in the NHL right off the hop....

Giroux is a nice signing, I'd like to see him play for OKC and help some of our rookies on the wing down there. Nothing wrong with this at all.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:37 AM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
I'm as big of an Oilers fan as they come, but NEWSFLASH, this still isn't a good team. They're just not AS bad.

At worst, they're probably not dead last, but still in 11-13 territory. At best, they MAYBE sneak into the 8th playoff spot...but can you honestly say that this team is as good as Colorado's squad last year (as the benchmark)? I can't.

Hemsky's a legit 1st line forward, capable of a PPG, MAYBE a bit more (given that he doesn't have great linemates).

Hall's a first year player who will be on the second line with sheltered minutes but lots of offensive opportunities (PP, 2nd line match-ups, etc.).

Horcoff is at best a 2-way 2nd line centre.

Penner could potentially put up 70 points, but I'd bank more on 60-70.

MPS and Eberle won't BOTH likely make this team. It's VERY uncommon to have 3 rookies in your top 6. I'd bank on MPS starting the year in the A.

Gagner's now a legit 2nd line C.

Cogliano's a big question mark.

Brule could be a legit 2nd liner or he could fade back into obscurity. Only 1 good year under his belt.

4th lines don't win games (or lose games, generally).

Whitney's a legit #2 d-man.

Gilbert's a legit #3 d-man.

Smid's a legit #4 d-man.

Foster's a legit bottom pairing d-man with PP duties.

Vandermeer, Strudwick and Peckham are all ok bottom pairing options. (Chorney, unlike Peckham, can be sent down to the AHL without being put on waivers...and he NEEDS to develop down there cuz he always looks lost in the NHL.)

To be a good team, Edmonton needs a stronger shut-down forward line, a #1 and/or another top-4 d-man, and at least one other forward who can produce big points and also hold his own against top-end offensive talent.

Edmonton's on its way up. It is still NOT a good team. If everybody progresses as planned, we could sneak into the playoffs. If not, this team's in for another long year.

Oh yeah, and if you think that signing the best AHL player in the game to a cheap 4th line-type contract where the team can use him as a 4th liner, an extra body in the pressbox, OR an AHL superstar, you're absolutely nuts. There's no possible negative in this signing, unless he becomes a dressing room cancer-- which does not seem to be the case.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
I'm not saying their a good team but they are a whole lot better team than last year I think they can finish from 7th to 10th just what I'm thinking

Old
07-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Renzor

Don't get me wrong, Eberle is a great prospect....but I cannot wait for the season to start and watch some of these delusional fans get brought back down to earth.

Renzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGagner View Post
Rookie overpaid soft
rookie soft rookie
sucks small fat
who? cast-off teddybear

overpaid soft
slow 1/2 stamkos
slow rookie

drunk

I'm an Oilers fan but this team is still the 30th place team until they prove they aren't.

You're making a lot of Oiler fans look ridiculous.
With all due respect, I agree with your basic assessment about this team being lousy until they prove otherwise, you're WAY off on a few players:

1) Hemsky is NOT soft. He's not a banger, but when you watch him with the puck, he RARELY gets knocked off of it. For a finesse playmaker, you can't ask for much more than that in terms of toughness. Oh, he also comes up with the puck more often than not in battles along the boards too.

2) Brule is NOT small. He's shorter (Only 5'10 or 5'11), but he's very stocky and plays much bigger than he is. Not 'small' player by any means.

3) Penner was one of the fastest Oilers last year. If he's fat and can still be one of the fastest, then he can hoove all the cheeseburgers he likes. You're thinking 2-3 years back, but it's a fallacious argument now.

4) Jones is actually a very solid, legit bottom 6 NHLer, not some nobody.

5) I'll take a cast-off who played 70 regular season games for the NHL champions any day of the week. 29 other teams in the league probably would too.

6) Stortini's actually very effective at what he does- a light-heavyweight fighter, agitator, banger, energy line guy. Again, you're harkening back to 2-3 years ago with this assessment.

7) Whitney has a 4 million dollar cap-hit. If your #1 d-man, or even your #2 d-man (and nobody in their right mind could argue Whitney is less than a #2 on most teams in the league) is paid $4 million, you're doing pretty decent. Oh yeah, and he's young and very good, to boot.

8) Smid is slow? Frankly, you're either an idiot or you've never watched him play. Smid's actually one of the best skaters on the team.

As wrong as the other guy is, you're barely any better...speaking of making Oilers fans look bad.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Whopper88

As a Caps fan, I am sad to see Giroux leave, but his speed was a problem and he could not keep up with Boudreau's system. He will fit in well with the Oilers just like Arsene did. Good luck Alex!!

Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:56 AM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
The Oilers were terrific last year, and then the team was utterly devastated with injuries. Frankly, I think that the Oilers are going to easily make the playoffs this year.
Quote:
OKAY! just keep talking to yourself like i will ever listen to you some people has their own opinion, & how am I making a lot of Oiler fans look ridiculous?

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:57 AM
ERC91

Quote:

Hall is a 1st overall, every 1st overall I can think of has played in the NHL the year after beeing drafted.

Eberle:
- played juniors as long as possible due to his age
- nearly made the team last camp, but they decided to keep him another year in juniors in order not to rush him
- averaged 1 ppg in a really bad AHL team for two seasons.

MPS:
- WC allstar team together with Malkin and Dazyuk
- best in +/- (tied Kovalchuk)
- third in goals tied (with Malkin)
- he had better SEL - stats than Kopitar or Backstrom at the same age
- more SEL-games than Backstrom or Kopitar when they came over
- now the same age like Kopitar when he came over

So we are rushing our rookies?

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote