HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Oilers Sign Alex Giroux

Old
07-03-2010, 03:18 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
one way deal means nothing, if he doesnt make the team it means:

A: he sucks bad because the Oilers will be bottom feeders next year
B: they can call him but he has to go thru waivers, chacnes are nobody will pick him up
Alexandre Giroux is subject to waivers when cut from an NHL team, like anyone else, but he has an exemption from Re-entry waivers.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:11 AM
asguard99

i said the oilers should sign this guy a while back check the ahl threads.its a good depth signing

asguard99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:54 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
Good for him! That guy deserves a chance...he fails we get Larsson, win-win

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Harley

C'mon Oiler fans. Just lol at the haters. This Oiler team will start making waves soon enough. Then we'll get our licks in.

And the rest of you turkeys. Just keep your eye on the rear view mirror. Cause that "bad" "last place team" "band of losers" etc etc is coming. Probably not next year, but after that....? And I think a lot of you are already worrying about how good those kids really are.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:35 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

god, it's about time this guy got a chance to be a top 6 forward in the NHL.

I'm assuming thats where he'll play at least...

And i'm pretty sure any self respecting NHL fan can tell you that the Oilers will be an up and coming team in the next few years, no one is saying that they are a "band of losers" lol. They're probably gonna be like Chicago over the next couple years because of their great prospect depth (blind speculation).

either way, great addition for EDM, it's probably not as cheap as I would thing though considering it's a 1-way contract.

Last edited by SeanVT395: 07-03-2010 at 10:40 AM.
SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

The kovalchuk of the A has been signed

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Tprowse0804

One website has him listed as a centre while another had him as a lw. What does he primarily play?

Tprowse0804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:07 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tprowse0804 View Post
One website has him listed as a centre while another had him as a lw. What does he primarily play?
Played center for Hershey where he had 60/50 goal and 90/100 point seasons.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
Played center for Hershey where he had 60/50 goal and 90/100 point seasons.
I'm pretty sure he was on Keith Aucoin's wing.

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

I can't believe some people are actually laughing at this signing. How is it a bad signing at all? The Oilers ownership can obviously afford it and at the very worst, he helps bring a winning culture to their farm team. A winning culture throughout an organization is so ridiculously undervalued on this bored.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Devil Dancer

Good signing for the Oil, whether he cracks the NHL or provides some serious firepower at the AHL level.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:06 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGagner View Post
I'm pretty sure he was on Keith Aucoin's wing.
He was. Always played as a wing when called up, too.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:12 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
He was. Always played as a wing when called up, too.
Has he seen any time at RW, or always LW? He'll be in tough to crack the NHL lineup as an offensive-minded LW (Hall, Penner, MPS) but might have a slightly better chance at RW. Of course, if he's destined for the AHL only it won't matter.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Wheatking

Anyone know why he's never cracked the NHL? Those AHL numbers are just insane. You'd think he'd be able to translate it into a 50+ point season in the NHL.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:25 PM
yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Anyone know why he's never cracked the NHL? Those AHL numbers are just insane. You'd think he'd be able to translate it into a 50+ point season in the NHL.
Lazy (doesn't dig for pucks, doesn't even pretend to come back on D, waits for someone to feed it to him) and slow. Effort-wise, he makes Semin or Fleischmann look like Messier.

Its telling that though he has been a free agent multiple times over the past few years, no one has ever signed him.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 02:47 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy17 View Post
Lazy (doesn't dig for pucks, doesn't even pretend to come back on D, waits for someone to feed it to him) and slow. Effort-wise, he makes Semin or Fleischmann look like Messier.

Its telling that though he has been a free agent multiple times over the past few years, no one has ever signed him.
Oh noes it sounds like POS!

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:02 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
Oh noes it sounds like POS!
Sounds like Schremp, only he can score more than 7 goals per season in the AHL.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:30 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy17 View Post

And his skill just isn't there at the NHL level. He'll miss tap ins. Maybe just never adjusted to the speed of the game at the NHL level.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 03:52 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

This is a very low risk, high reward signing, especially for a team like Edmonton where Giroux would get plenty of ice time.

The last two years Giroux has tore up the AHL with 97 and 106 point seasons, respectively (each time in only 69 games too).

The guy scored 60 goals in 69 games in 2009. I think he could definitely score ~20 in the NHL given the chance.

If Ryan Potulny could finally develop into an NHL player, I think Giroux can too.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:12 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
I'm as big of an Oilers fan as they come, but NEWSFLASH, this still isn't a good team. They're just not AS bad.

At worst, they're probably not dead last, but still in 11-13 territory. At best, they MAYBE sneak into the 8th playoff spot...but can you honestly say that this team is as good as Colorado's squad last year (as the benchmark)? I can't.

Hemsky's a legit 1st line forward, capable of a PPG, MAYBE a bit more (given that he doesn't have great linemates).

Hall's a first year player who will be on the second line with sheltered minutes but lots of offensive opportunities (PP, 2nd line match-ups, etc.).

Horcoff is at best a 2-way 2nd line centre.

Penner could potentially put up 70 points, but I'd bank more on 60-70.

MPS and Eberle won't BOTH likely make this team. It's VERY uncommon to have 3 rookies in your top 6. I'd bank on MPS starting the year in the A.

Gagner's now a legit 2nd line C.

Cogliano's a big question mark.

Brule could be a legit 2nd liner or he could fade back into obscurity. Only 1 good year under his belt.

4th lines don't win games (or lose games, generally).

Whitney's a legit #2 d-man.

Gilbert's a legit #3 d-man.

Smid's a legit #4 d-man.

Foster's a legit bottom pairing d-man with PP duties.

Vandermeer, Strudwick and Peckham are all ok bottom pairing options. (Chorney, unlike Peckham, can be sent down to the AHL without being put on waivers...and he NEEDS to develop down there cuz he always looks lost in the NHL.)

To be a good team, Edmonton needs a stronger shut-down forward line, a #1 and/or another top-4 d-man, and at least one other forward who can produce big points and also hold his own against top-end offensive talent.

Edmonton's on its way up. It is still NOT a good team. If everybody progresses as planned, we could sneak into the playoffs. If not, this team's in for another long year.

Oh yeah, and if you think that signing the best AHL player in the game to a cheap 4th line-type contract where the team can use him as a 4th liner, an extra body in the pressbox, OR an AHL superstar, you're absolutely nuts. There's no possible negative in this signing, unless he becomes a dressing room cancer-- which does not seem to be the case.
Sorry to burst your bubble.
Good post up until the bolded part maybe you missed a word or two in there?

I think its a good signing, he may help the Oilers and at worst he helps out a crummy AHL team and gives them an AHL star to build around and provide a positve veteran influence for the kids down there.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:18 AM
McArthur

he'll help out the boys in OKC, bring on the memorial cup. Don't expect a big change in the line up from last year. MPS, Omark, Eberle, Hartikainen, and possibly Hall will all play in the AHL next year.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:26 AM
mczerkawski21

Damn. Was really hoping the Islanders signed him. I nominate him for next years Matt Moulson award. Kid has great talent. I can see a 20-20 season next year. Really.

mczerkawski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
he'll help out the boys in OKC, bring on the memorial cup. Don't expect a big change in the line up from last year. MPS, Omark, Eberle, Hartikainen, and possibly Hall will all play in the AHL next year.
Hall will not and cannot play in the AHL next season. It's either the NHL or OHL, and I don't see how another year in the OHL would help his development.

Also, the last time I checked, the AHL championship trophy is the Calder Cup; not the Memorial Cup.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Nah, Hall simply cannot play in the AHL, he's too young.

And it's the Calder Cup.

EDIT: Nuny, you are too quick for me

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Eklund has more credibility than this post.
Staios, Pisani, Moreau, O'Sullivan, Nilsson, Comrie, Potulny, Pouliot, Jacques, Souray, and possibly Cogliano are all gone from last years roster.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote