HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poutine thread!

Old
07-03-2010, 03:51 AM
Habitant#1

vCash: 500
Poutine thread!

I've been searching for the last little while that old thread about a guy making his own poutine. I live in Australia and I need a guide to make some poutine!

Help me out habs!

Habitant#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:08 AM
davepeak
Too many pools

Well... a real poutine is made of curd cheese (can you have some in Australia?), french fries and sauce (the kind of sauce depends of your tastes... we have some poutine sauce here up north but in Australia?).

1) Fry or bake french fries;
2) Put them in a bowl;
3) Add curd cheese;
4) Pour the sauce;
5) Let the cheese melt for a minute or two;
6) ???
7) Profit poutine!

BTW don't eat too much poutine or you'll be traded to Minnesota!

davepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:18 AM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperwebman View Post
Well... a real poutine is made of curd cheese (can you have some in Australia?), french fries and sauce (the kind of sauce depends of your tastes... we have some poutine sauce here up north but in Australia?).

2) Put them in a bowl;
3) Add curd cheese;
4) Pour the sauce;
6) ???
7) Profit poutine!

Yeah, that's my main problem, I need to find an alternative to cheese curds! Maybe they're just called something else here?

Has anyone ever successfully made poutine with different cheese?

Habitant#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:21 AM
davepeak
Too many pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Yeah, that's my main problem, I need to find an alternative to cheese curds! Maybe they're just called something else here?

Has anyone ever successfully made poutine with different cheese?
Well, a lot of restaurants here serve poutine with Mozzarella or other cheese, but it just isn't the same...

IMO, the cheese isn't that important, as long as the sauce is good... "La Belle Province" poutines are awful, even with curd cheese, because their sauce/fries are terrible...

BTW, kudos to Ashton's poutine... I've red bad comments here, but as a Montrealer going to Quebec City, I was surprised! Good poutine (not legendary as some people would say, but still... really good).

davepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:34 AM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5106352_make...s-poutine.html

Make Cheese Curds for Poutine
Step 1
Pour the milk into the saucepan. Heat on medium until almost scalded, but do not boil. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon to ensure even heating. Remove from heat when a skin starts to form on the surface of the milk, or small bubbles form around the very edge of the pan. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes.

Step 2
Add lemon juice or vinegar. Stir gently but completely. Stop stirring and watch the hot milk separate into the curds and whey. Allow to cool further.

Step 3
Curds and Whey
Line the sieve with a few layers of cheesecloth. Pour the curds and whey through the sieve to catch the curds. Discard the whey or use it s a substitute in recipes calling for sour milk or buttermilk.

Step 4
Unwrap the curd. Add the salt to the curd and stir gently but thoroughly. Your hands are the best tool for this job. Fold the cheesecloth over the top of the salted curds. Enclose the curds tightly in the cheesecloth.

Step 5
Top the cheesecloth-wrapped bundle with the plate. Place the weight on top of the plate. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and allow the curd to sit under the weight overnight.

Step 6
Finished Cheese Curds
Remove the curd from the cheesecloth. Pull gently into large pieces with your hands. You now have fresh cheese curds for your poutine.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:19 AM
cedouimet

Quote:
BTW, kudos to Ashton's poutine... I've red bad comments here, but as a Montrealer going to Quebec City, I was surprised! Good poutine (not legendary as some people would say, but still... really good).

Just cameback from quebec city this year, Ashton are PART of the good ones i have, but nothing special....especially when you have to pay 11.50$ for a not so big poutine called *regular galvaude*

Plus you have to pay 2.50$ EXTRA for cheese....i mean...poutine IS ALL ABOUT cheese...

cedouimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
You'll notice that you dont notice the absence of curd cheese if you're eating your poutine with a tall shapely buxom blond woman. You really wont.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

2) Put them in a bowl;
3) Add curd cheese;
4) Pour the sauce;
6) ???
7) Profit poutine!

Thanks, this sentence definitely made my day.

Also where are all the pictures? You can't have a Poutine thread without pictures.

07-03-2010, 08:09 AM
ReVeuF

wow I want to eat poutine at 9am... your fault guys !!!

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Good timing because........

Apparently POUTINE is now officially Canada national meat !!!!!!!

Hockey , maple syrup , beavers and now POUTINE. I love this country !!!!!

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/vivre/cuis...3_accueil_POS4

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Poutine's such a big part of the Quebec culture it's incredible... It seems so natural but anyone who isn't from Quebec (or around it) seems grossed out when they hear about it.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Weip

Damn I want a poutine right now! I don't why there is no poutine outside of Québec.. It seems the perfect fit with the americans

Some delicious pictures :

Weip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Poutine's such a big part of the Quebec culture it's incredible... It seems so natural but anyone who isn't from Quebec (or around it) seems grossed out when they hear about it.
Whoever is grossed out by poutine need to be shot and burned.

In a couple of hours i'm going to get some huge Italian poutine to fix my bad hangover from last night. There is nothing better after some crazy night of debauchery

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:52 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
I've been searching for the last little while that old thread about a guy making his own poutine.
...This one?!

http://hfboards.ca/showthread.php?t=490801

The pictures got taken down though

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Well, a lot of restaurants here serve poutine with Mozzarella or other cheese, but it just isn't the same...

IMO, the cheese isn't that important, as long as the sauce is good... "La Belle Province" poutines are awful, even with curd cheese, because their sauce/fries are terrible...

What??? Belle Pro poutine is the best!!

I went to Quebec City this year for la St-Jean, tried ashtons poutine for the first time, it was good, nothing special though. Belle Pro destroys it.

By the way, OP, when you do make your poutine, after you put the sauce on the cheese and fries, cover it with something for a few minutes so that the cheese will melt a bit and the heat will distribute right. Nothing sucks more then a poutine with cold cheese curds.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weip View Post
Damn I want a poutine right now! I don't why there is no poutine outside of Québec.. It seems the perfect fit with the americans
Seems that the States version has a Mexican inspiration to it. They prefer chili cheese fries (french fries, cheese and CHILI )

Old
07-03-2010, 11:33 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground And Pound View Post
Whoever is grossed out by poutine need to be shot and burned.

In a couple of hours i'm going to get some huge Italian poutine to fix my bad hangover from last night. There is nothing better after some crazy night of debauchery
italian poutines are an affront to the sanctity of poutine.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:37 AM
overlords
Hfboards

and to clear up the hate on la belle province. I've been to many, MANY of their restaurants and most are mediocre at best, some have been awful, one is tremendous though. This is all to say that not all their restaurants are created equal (which i still don't understand). Some use completely different ingredients, different serving sizes etc etc. I've found this one on st michel that is amazing. There's this red headed ginger guy who layers it perfectly.

And nobody here can question my poutine credibility, just go look at the 'battle of the bulge' thread.

Old
07-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Plekanov

For poutine reviews and a lot of pretty pictures

mapoutine.ca!

enjoy

Plekanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:42 AM
LeHab

http://www.jucep.com/

And it all started in Drummondville.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Dark4ng3l

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
and to clear up the hate on la belle province. I've been to many, MANY of their restaurants and most are mediocre at best, some have been awful, one is tremendous though. This is all to say that not all their restaurants are created equal (which i still don't understand). Some use completely different ingredients, different serving sizes etc etc. I've found this one on st michel that is amazing. There's this red headed ginger guy who layers it perfectly.

And nobody here can question my poutine credibility, just go look at the 'battle of the bulge' thread.
I know la belle province in Québec city is COMPLETELY different from the ones I used to go to when I live in St-Jerôme. You just can't beat Ashton but la belle province in Québec sucks so maybe thats why you get these different opinions....

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Thats true, not every Belle pro is the same. I live in the west island, and the one open 24h on boul. des sources is good, and the one on boul. st-charles is terrible. But once you find the right match you become a regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
http://www.jucep.com/

And it all started in Drummondville.
Isn't there a war between Drummondville and some other town as to who started it?

Old
07-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Boardish

Daahh, now I want to eat poutine. Now.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 11:55 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
Isn't there a war between Drummondville and some other town as to who started it?
yeah, and I also heard that the jucep poutine is one of the worst you can buy. He really shouldn't be advertising it all that much.

Old
07-03-2010, 12:06 PM
ScottFC

damn now i feel like going all the way to Decarie hot dog for a poutine!

I've been to ashtons and i really wasnt impressed! Maybe its just like belle pros and they're all different though?

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote