HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev [Edit - Signed with Flyers]

Old
07-03-2010, 03:29 PM
centzon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
haven't found anyone with any credibility saying it.

The tweet I posted only says Boston.
Oh, I agree about the credibility, and I think the likelihood of us ending up with Zherdev is nonexistent anyway. But the rumors about Buffalo's interest in Zherdev are out there in Twitter-land, so I can see where nudave would have picked up on them.

centzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

boston

Gerbe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:39 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Zherdev only makes sense if the Sabres are going to open up the offense again like in 05-06. Vanek-Roy-Zherdev could be a very dynamic line provided they were allowed to skate.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 04:47 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Zherdev only makes sense if the Sabres are going to open up the offense again like in 05-06. Vanek-Roy-Zherdev could be a very dynamic line provided they were allowed to skate.
We would certainly have the talent with Kennedy/Gerbe and Ennis on the 3rd line.

Just for fun..

Vanek - Roy - Zherdev
Hecht - Connolly - Pominville
Kennedy - Ennis - Grier

And our defense can skate really well. I would give anything for Ruff to open it back up even if we dont get a RW for Roy and Vanek.. Let the guys play.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Darcy doesnt like Russian players.
Really? I'd have figured that Ruff has had more issues with them, considering how often the last two regulars (Afinogenov, Kalinin) were always ending up in his dog house.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Very true - but, even if the rules enforcement was like it was then, I still don't think Zherdev has ever shown a real willingness to compete and work hard. He's one of those players that is oozing with so much raw talent and skill that they think they can just flip a switch on their work ethic. That's the reason both Columbus and Rangers grew tired of him - too many invisible nights.

Old
07-03-2010, 06:02 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Really? I'd have figured that Ruff has had more issues with them, considering how often the last two regulars (Afinogenov, Kalinin) were always ending up in his dog house.
Zhitnik says hello.

Ruff doesn't like players who don't bring consistent efforts.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Westguy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Very true - but, even if the rules enforcement was like it was then, I still don't think Zherdev has ever shown a real willingness to compete and work hard. He's one of those players that is oozing with so much raw talent and skill that they think they can just flip a switch on their work ethic. That's the reason both Columbus and Rangers grew tired of him - too many invisible nights.
Maybe he got a reminder of why he left russia in the first place now he's running back with a new found sense of work ethic so we don't ship him back. He'll be unstoppable!

Westguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Tra La La

He did lead the Rangers in scoring, on a Tom Renney defense first team. Was also one of the few + players on that team.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Zhitnik says hello.

Ruff doesn't like players who don't bring consistent efforts.
I did say "the last two regulars" - Kalinin and Afinogenov were the last two starters, more recent than Zhitnik.

Old
07-03-2010, 07:30 PM
GaborikEqualsGod1995*

You guys would love Zherdev, while being frustrated with him at the same time. Watching him with the Rangers two years ago, I can tell you he is one of the more skilled players right now. Problem is, he doesn't always use it. He can be lazy, and bad defensivley, but when he actually puts it all together for a shift, it's incredible to watch. He has a laser beam wrist shot, and has incredible vision. He would make the players around him better, and he would be a bargain.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Westguy13

Ehh I look at it this way. He can be lazy for 42 games. Miller will steal us half of those. We win 75% of the games he plays his ass off thats 51 wins and then he can work his ass of in the playoffs = Stanley Cup. It's simple math. I'm in!

Westguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Kruschiki

Is it me, or does Regier always seem to work 4th of july weekend? Maybe this rumor has some wheels. It could also give some clarity to Quinn's 'interesting' comment.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:30 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Some more rumor fodder:

@dchesnokov
KHL's Atlant's website, where Zherdev played last year, has information that Zherdev is negotiating with the #Leafs and the #Sabres.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:38 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudave View Post
Some more rumor fodder:

@dchesnokov
KHL's Atlant's website, where Zherdev played last year, has information that Zherdev is negotiating with the #Leafs and the #Sabres.
hmm, cant imagine which team has the better chance lol.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudave View Post
Some more rumor fodder:

@dchesnokov

Quote:
http://www.atlant-mo.ru/news/news-at...704231606.html
"Buffalo" and "Toronto" called Zherdeva
Buffalo and Toronto are interested in the services of star KHL Nikolai Zherdeva. Overseas clubs already have proposed that the charismatic striker who last season played for Moscow Region Atlant. However, so far the parties have not found a common language - Zherdev wants a long term contract with a salary not less than $ 4 million a year.
- While I can not comment on this information, let's wait a week - said one of the agents hockey player Igor Popov. - The situation is difficult at the moment. But I can confirm that the most likely, Nicholas goes to the NHL.

Hmm, Long term @ 4 mil. ,not gonna happen here.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I'm "intrigued"

We could really use a high end offensive forward. I'd go 4 mil for 3 years.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:48 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Hmm, Long term @ 4 mil. ,not gonna happen here.
to be perfectly honest, i understand the stigma of russian players and their work ethic, let alone the ones who book for the KHL.. but, i watched him play a lot (cuz i got the rangers games at school) and he is a good player. he was far and away their best player in a year that they had a pretty decent team... he could end up being a bargain at 4 a year. i mean ****, leopold at 3, i dont see how 4 is so outrageous for a guy who will be a top scorer for your team.

just sayin, i wouldnt cry myself to sleep if he signed elsewhere.

Old
07-05-2010, 10:49 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Take the number of years Zherdev wants, subtract 1, and that what Regier's going to offer without budging.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:51 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
to be perfectly honest, i understand the stigma of russian players and their work ethic, let alone the ones who book for the KHL.. but, i watched him play a lot (cuz i got the rangers games at school) and he is a good player. he was far and away their best player in a year that they had a pretty decent team... he could end up being a bargain at 4 a year. i mean ****, leopold at 3, i dont see how 4 is so outrageous for a guy who will be a top scorer for your team.

just sayin, i wouldnt cry myself to sleep if he signed elsewhere.
Long term is the risk not the per year.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:58 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Allowed to skate?

Puck possession requires players to skate their ***** off to be in puck support positions in all areas of the ice. The better skaters you ahve the better you should be able to play that style.

I must have missed it when the Red Wings stop skating and scoring to play this style of hockey.

Old
07-05-2010, 10:58 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Long term is the risk not the per year.
i see it only as a risk in the sense that he might jet back to russia, not in the production tail off sense. hes only 25.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:01 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
i see it only as a risk in the sense that he might jet back to russia, not in the production tail off sense. hes only 25.
He is an unknown commodity in terms of his growth as a player. Will there be more offense? Will he become more rounded as a player? Will his consitancy/effort improve? He plays a position we already have big money tied up in. He may develop more but at this point he is behind Vanek and Pommer as NHL wingers.

Right now you would be committing 4+mil to an inconsistant, defensively suspect winger that will pot you 25-ish gols and net 60-ish pts.

Why commit long term big money on a player like that? Just so we can make fans happy that we signed someone?

If he was a center I could see maybe taking the chance but another winger? Its risky to go long term with a player like him IMO.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Afino
The Juice

Dreger just said Leafs have no interest in Zherdev.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:07 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He is an unknown commodity in terms of his growth as a player. Will there be more offense? Will he become more rounded as a player? Will his consitancy/effort improve? He plays a position we already have big money tied up in. He may develop more but at this point he is behind Vanek and Pommer as NHL wingers.

Right now you would be committing 4+mil to an inconsistant, defensively suspect winger that will pot you 25-ish gols and net 60-ish pts.

Why commit long term big money on a player like that? Just so we can make fans happy that we signed someone?

If he was a center I could see maybe taking the chance but another winger? Its risky to go long term with a player like him IMO.
id probably take the risk at a 3 year deal, 5 or 6 is too long. 1 or 2 would be ideal. but probably in his agents eyes, we win that deal and he could prob find a more desperate team. my guess is darcy feels a 1 year deal is the only option.