HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Zherdev [Edit - Signed with Flyers]

Old
07-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Kruschiki

vCash: 500
Wait, he's hasn't singed yet? Wow, the headlines on several sites a few days ago made it seem like he was under contract.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:06 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
not a sabres guy = european
Not entirely true.

Jochen Hecht = Sabres guy.

A guy like Pavel Datsyuk would be a Sabres guy, or a guy like Sami Pahlsson, or Henrik Zetterberg, or either Koivu, or Jere Lehtinen, etc.

Sabres guys are guys who play two way hockey, and they come in any nationality. I think Regier worries that Europeans won't come over hence why he doesn't draft them, but I would be highly surprised if Saku Koivu wasn't one of the forward the Sabres tried (and failed) to get.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
We already have Ennis, and he will either win a spot or he won't. Zherdev is an upgrade over Stafford, and he is officially cheaper. And yet we still have this Stafford. Hey, nobody will be happier to eat that crow than me if Stafford starts hitting everything in sight, winning battles on the boards, and scoring 60 points. I don't see it happening though, and I don't see any battle tested veterans coming on either. I will be happy to eat that crow too if it happens. (It won't.)
Zherdev wouldn't do anything close to this kind of play either, so what exactly is your point?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:13 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Zherdev wouldn't do anything close to this kind of play either, so what exactly is your point?
That is what the expectation always has been for Stafford. It's not the expectation for Zherdev. My point was yes Stafford may have a breakout season this year, and I will take whatever snotty avatar someone wants to give me about it and smile like you served me ambrosia.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Not entirely true.

Jochen Hecht = Sabres guy.

A guy like Pavel Datsyuk would be a Sabres guy, or a guy like Sami Pahlsson, or Henrik Zetterberg, or either Koivu, or Jere Lehtinen, etc.

Sabres guys are guys who play two way hockey, and they come in any nationality. I think Regier worries that Europeans won't come over hence why he doesn't draft them, but I would be highly surprised if Saku Koivu wasn't one of the forward the Sabres tried (and failed) to get.
Also, there is a lot of possible financial risk, transfer payments are higher for European leagues than the CHL.

07-10-2010, 12:18 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
not a sabres guy = european
Lydman, Tallinder (yes I know they didn't resign them but they were both team guys for years), Hecht, Sekera, Vanek say hi.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:11 AM
joshjull

Quote:
We already have Ennis, and he will either win a spot or he won't. Zherdev is an upgrade over Stafford, and he is officially cheaper. And yet we still have this Stafford. Hey, nobody will be happier to eat that crow than me if Stafford starts hitting everything in sight, winning battles on the boards, and scoring 60 points. I don't see it happening though, and I don't see any battle tested veterans coming on either. I will be happy to eat that crow too if it happens. (It won't.)

You're not quite getting the point.

They already have 5 of the top 6 spots filled on this team; Hecht/Connolly/Pommer and Vanek/Roy.

Unlike in past years, Stafford has a battle on his hands for that last spot. Ennis and Kennedy will be in the mix.

I would rather see a hungry young player win that spot. Than to hand it to a player like Zherdev (if he was signed thats where he would have to play).

Haven't we already learned that its not a good idea to just hand spots to players that have effort issues (Stafford).

So arguing that he makes less money than Stafford does nothing to change my mind nor does it make much sense.

The assbackwards part is you're arguing to replace one underachiever with another because he makes less. But you didn't fix the issue that needs fixing. Which was having more effort/compete in the top 6. You're still stuck with an underachiever being handed a spot in the top 6. The very problem we have been dealing with the last few seasons with Stafford. The fact that he makes less is irrelevant. He doesn't address the problem.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

They already have 5 of the top 6 spots filled on this team; Hecht/Connolly/Pommer and Vanek/Roy.

Unlike in past years, Stafford has a battle on his hands for that last spot. Ennis and Kennedy will be in the mix.

I would rather see a hungry young player win that spot. Than to hand it to a player like Zherdev (if he was signed thats where he would have to play).

Haven't we already learned that its not a good idea to just hand spots to players that have effort issues (Stafford).

So arguing that he makes less money than Stafford does nothing to change my mind nor does it make much sense.

The assbackwards part is you're arguing to replace one underachiever with another because he makes less. But you didn't fix the issue that needs fixing. Which was having more effort/compete in the top 6. You're still stuck with an underachiever being handed a spot in the top 6. The very problem we have been dealing with the last few seasons with Stafford. The fact that he makes less is irrelevant. He doesn't address the problem.
Zherdev is a far more talented player than Stafford. Although I see what you are saying.

And is Hecht a lock for the top 6? I could see him playing on the third line if we had the depth up top.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:34 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
Zherdev is a far more talented player than Stafford. Although I see what you are saying.
I'm well aware of the fact that he is more talented. Battle/compete more so than talent is the issue with our top 6.

Quote:
And is Hecht a lock for the top 6? I could see him playing on the third line if we had the depth up top
Minus one year, Hecht has been the best ES forward this team has had since the lockout.

Not unlike Tallinder who had to start on the 3rd pairing this past year after his horrble 08-09. Hecht had to start on the 3rd line and work his way back to his usual spot after a terrible 08-09.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-11-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old
07-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
I'm well aware of the fact that he is more talented. Battle/compete more so than talent is the issue with our top 6.
I would argue that they are lacking in both areas.

Quote:
Minus one year, Hecht has been the best ES forward this team has had since the lockout.

Not unlike Tallinder who had to start on the 3rd pairing this past year after his horrble 08-09. Hecht had to start on the 3rd line and work his way back to his usual spot after a terrible 08-09.
I agree I am a fan of his.

However I wouldnt discard the possibility of putting two more offence orientated lines together, and sticking Hecht on a primarily shut down line, most likely with Niedermayer and Grier at this point looking at the current options.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:58 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:

I really do see what you are saying, I promise. I just have a different perspective than you on it. It's entirely possible that Ennis won't make that spot, in which case we still have the same Stafford problem. Stafford isn't fitting, so to my mind giving it to someone else may be better. Zherdev has now seen how the other half lives, and doesn't like it. He is playing for 1 year on a cheaper contract than Stafford, and I imagine he has something to prove. I understand that ymmv. Maybe Stafford will be hungry. At this point it's all I can do to hope so, because that's the only option we have left. Why not sign Zherdev and have one more winger in the mix that can threaten for the spot? We have the cap space, why not roll the dice?

Old
07-11-2010, 12:01 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
I would argue that they are lacking in both areas.

I agree I am a fan of his.

However I wouldnt discard the possibility of putting two more offence orientated lines together, and sticking Hecht on a primarily shut down line, most likely with Niedermayer and Grier at this point looking at the current options.
Certainly an option for sure. But as of now he makes the most sense in the top 6.

I think Nieds is the bottom 6 repalcement they needed all last year after Hecht left the bottom 6.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-11-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old
07-11-2010, 12:04 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Certainly an option for sure. But as of now he makes the msot sense in the top 6.

I think Nieds is the bottom 6 repalcement they needed all last year after Hecht left the bottom 6.
I agree with this - the HCP line really needs to stay together. Hecht being out of the lineup is a big part of what led to a 1st round exit.

Old
07-11-2010, 12:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I really do see what you are saying, I promise. I just have a different perspective than you on it. It's entirely possible that Ennis won't make that spot, in which case we still have the same Stafford problem. Stafford isn't fitting, so to my mind giving it to someone else may be better. Zherdev has now seen how the other half lives, and doesn't like it. He is playing for 1 year on a cheaper contract than Stafford, and I imagine he has something to prove. I understand that ymmv. Maybe Stafford will be hungry. At this point it's all I can do to hope so, because that's the only option we have left. Why not sign Zherdev and have one more winger in the mix that can threaten for the spot? We have the cap space, why not roll the dice?

Why would you add yet another question to your roster?

You add solutions to problems in free agency not addtional questions.

As for Ennis not making the team in that spot, the same could be said of Zherdev. So whats your point?

Kennedy/Roy/Vanek were a very good combo at the end of the year and was already a solution to the Stafford issue. So if Ennis doesn't grab that spot we still other options that don't include Stafford.

I really have zero interest in Zherdev and we will just have to agree to disagree. It never makes sense to me to add a bum no matter how talented that bum is.

Old
07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Layne Staley

I wouldn't mind trading Kennedy.Too small for the fourth line, definitely not good enough offensively to be in the top 6...too much of a tweener and definitely not what the Sabres need more of (Soft, Small)

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:21 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
I wouldn't mind trading Kennedy.Too small for the fourth line, definitely not good enough offensively to be in the top 6...too much of a tweener and definitely not what the Sabres need more of (Soft, Small)
The kid has one year under his belt. Give him a chance to show his stuff this year at least.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote