HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev [Edit - Signed with Flyers]

Old
07-05-2010, 02:13 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

vCash: 500
Zherdev is a LAZY bum we have a Zherdev already on our roster his name Drew Stafford.

The Bored Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,253719

There is no chance that Regier gives Zherdev $4M per.

NOT

GONNA

HAPPEN
paying Zherdev 4.0 while dumping Staffords 2.3 million in salary, is not much of an increase. Especially considering Zherdev is a 60ish pt player while Stafford is a 35ish pt player...

Im fully on board with signing Zherdev, but not a penny over 4.0... getting him at 3.75 would be great... and im willing to go up to 3 yrs in contract length.

its not ideal... investing more money on the wings. but we need to add talent, speed, scoring... just as much as we need to improve our size and strength.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarwarrior27 View Post
Zherdev is a LAZY bum we have a Zherdev already on our roster his name Drew Stafford.
Zherdev: Three seasons of 50-plus points, three seasons of 20-plus goals.

Stafford: Zero seasons of 50-plus points, one season of 20-plus goals.

Zherdev is 25, Stafford is 24. Zherdev is easily better.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:17 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Eh, without some other move(s) happening, I don't see them bringing in wingers.
You can use that same logic with centers. How many teams have a 4th line center making 2.3M?

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Tra La La

I don't see him as a fit with Pomminville/Connolly, if he played with Vanek/Roy maybe he'd spark them. But either Vanek or Zherdev would have to make the switch to fulltime RW.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:20 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

Zherdev crapped out on two teams Blue Jackets & Rangers why do we want him. The project player the Sabres should try and get is Nikita Filatov this young man has untapped potential and to get Filatov I would even take on one of there bad contracts as well.

Old
07-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Zherdev crapped out on two teams Blue Jackets & Rangers why do we want him. The project player the Sabres should try and get is Nikita Filatov this young man has untapped potential and to get Filatov I would even take on one of there bad contracts as well.
One could argue Zherdev does as well. It's not every day you can grab a three-time 20-goal scorer who's only 25.

As opposed to Filatov, Zherdev won't cost anything but money to acquire. If Filatov's on the market, I assume the Jackets are asking for a nice return.

Old
07-05-2010, 02:34 PM
nEaLB4ZoD

Quote:
He player well with the Rangers and played out his contract. I don't when not resigning with the Rangers became crapping out but whatever.

nEaLB4ZoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:41 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

I am just saying there must have been a reason why the Rangers a team that needs scoring might I add didn't resign Zherdev. I don't dislike Zherdev I'm just not sure that Zherdev would be a good fit.

Old
07-05-2010, 02:46 PM
sivert

Quote:
I am just saying there must have been a reason why the Rangers a team that needs scoring might I add didn't resign Zherdev.
NYR management proved to be wrong last offseason. They didn't even make playoffs this year.

sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:47 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
I am just saying there must have been a reason why the Rangers a team that needs scoring might I add didn't resign Zherdev. I don't dislike Zherdev I'm just not sure that Zherdev would be a good fit.
I believe the reason was the KHL, they didnt trust him. Am I wrong?

Old
07-05-2010, 02:50 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

The only point I am trying to make is does it not worry you a little than two teams that need scoring gave up on Zherdev??

Old
07-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
There must have been a reason for signing Wade Redden to a six-year, $39 million deal, too. The Ranger front office is not exactly a beacon of brilliance. The Rangers were only 19th in goals last season, so perhaps they would have been better off keeping Zherdev.

Old
07-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
I don't see him as a fit with Pomminville/Connolly, if he played with Vanek/Roy maybe he'd spark them. But either Vanek or Zherdev would have to make the switch to fulltime RW.
I thought Zherdev was naturally a RW. Anyway, they don't have to play on the same line.

As for the Russian thing.. he is technically from the Ukraine. Not that it matters, but I have also noticed the anti European / pro NA bias with the moves the team has made over the last year or two.

For the record I don't see it happening - but it would make sense. I think its the end of Stafford (hopefully that happens anyway) and somehow swapping TC for someone bigger and who plays a tougher game down the middle, plus Ennis becoming a permanent fixture in the top6, while possibly moving to C also. I'm not sure how they can pull all these moves off in one go, Regier does not have the balls.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 02:57 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

Zherdev is a RW here is something also that proves my point the Rangers exercised their walk away rights in Zherdev arbitration case. this is per tsn.ca here is the link

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=3664

Old
07-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Zherdev is a RW here is something also that proves my point the Rangers exercised their walk away rights in Zherdev arbitration case. this is per tsn.ca here is the link

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=3664
Didn't they sign Gaborik as his replacement? Similar players (although Gaborik is better obviously).

Old
07-05-2010, 03:06 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

That could be the case Zherdev left in 09 same year Gaborik signed very possible.

Old
07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Zherdev is 2 years younger than Lombardi and Lombari's career high is 53 for this past year.

Zherdev had 54 as a 21 year old, 61 as a 23 year old and 58 as a 24 year old on a crappy Columbus team. Also, consider Hitchcock being the coach.

Roy got his $4m contract after: 46 in 70 as a 23 year old and 63 in 75 as a 24 year old. But that was 3+ years ago. Roy was also an RFA.
Roy was on the Sabres.

Giving Zherdev $4M per would be the largest UFA signing that Regier has ever made.

Somehow, Zherdev doesn't seem like the type of guy that Regier wants to throw cash at.

Regier doesn't seem to want to add more talented guys with motivation issues.

Let alone the "Russian factor".

If Regier isn't going to $3.5M per for Lombardi, there is no way he goes to $4m Per for Zherdev.

My guess is that Regier's offer to Zherdev was for $2 to 3M per IF he made a real offer.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:12 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

Quote:
Roy was on the Sabres.

Giving Zherdev $4M per would be the largest UFA signing that Regier has ever made.

Somehow, Zherdev doesn't seem like the type of guy that Regier wants to throw cash at.

Regier doesn't seem to want to add more talented guys with motivation issues.

Let alone the "Russian factor".

If Regier isn't going to $3.5M per for Lombardi, there is no way he goes to $4m Per for Zherdev.

My guess is that Regier's offer to Zherdev was for $2 to 3M per IF he made a real offer.
Plus 4M seems a little high for Zherdev maybe 3 or 3.5m per year over 2yrs

Old
07-05-2010, 03:13 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
paying Zherdev 4.0 while dumping Staffords 2.3 million in salary, is not much of an increase. Especially considering Zherdev is a 60ish pt player while Stafford is a 35ish pt player...

Im fully on board with signing Zherdev, but not a penny over 4.0... getting him at 3.75 would be great... and im willing to go up to 3 yrs in contract length.

its not ideal... investing more money on the wings. but we need to add talent, speed, scoring... just as much as we need to improve our size and strength.
I'm not questioning the move that much as a general theory on making the Sabres better (although, I don't want the Sabres adding another guy with effort issues like Zherdev).

I'm just saying that my expectations for REGIER making that move are next to nill.

If Zherdev were looking for a $1M deal, then it would be in Regier's wheelhouse!

Old
07-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
You can use that same logic with centers. How many teams have a 4th line center making 2.3M?
How does signing Zherdev (or Stempniak for that matter) help them in the middle or on defense? It doesn't.

07-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
I'm not questioning the move that much as a general theory on making the Sabres better (although, I don't want the Sabres adding another guy with effort issues like Zherdev).

I'm just saying that my expectations for REGIER making that move are next to nill.

If Zherdev were looking for a $1M deal, then it would be in Regier's wheelhouse!
JB

I don't think this one will happen either. And as I said, I don't think it is going to make the difference alone. Zherdev is not a franchise player or anything, and would probably be in the doghouse a lot of the time. But when on his game, would probably be the best offensive player the Sabres had.

Would a contract like 3 yrs / $10m be out of the question? Probably, but it makes sense. Obviously the teams big top6 need is a true no.1 C, but that is never gonna happen in the forseeable future (at least to me).

The way I see it (assuming Jame and others are similar) is this:

You upgrade Stafford to Zherdev. Big offensive upgrade. if you can get a return on Staff in a trade, all the better. Zherdev is low risk in the sense you give up jack all in a trade, and its not exactly a marquee signing in terms of money.

This allows you to upgrade Connolly to a good two way no.3 C, or possibly more defensive minded no.2, whichever way you see it. I have no names to hand here, but a Jarret Stoll type maybe. Someone solid both ends of the ice, experienced, with a bit of leadership and toughness. And someone who is not always injured or dissappearing in the playoffs. The offensive drop is absorbed to a large extent by Z and Ennis.

Hopefully this shuffling also allows them to go and get a legit top pairing D / PP QB (Kaberle?) and the team already looks more balanced, and more of a contender.

But as said, I don't see it happening.

Old
07-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
How does signing Zherdev (or Stempniak for that matter) help them in the middle or on defense? It doesn't.

I wonder if they are ready to trade a winger for help elsewhere. But would like to get another under contract before pulling the trigger.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 03:43 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
JB

I don't think this one will happen either. And as I said, I don't think it is going to make the difference alone. Zherdev is not a franchise player or anything, and would probably be in the doghouse a lot of the time. But when on his game, would probably be the best offensive player the Sabres had.
I don't see Zherdev produing to his talent level in Buffalo.

I think he would need a strong veteran mentor to get that out of him. And that mentor would liekly need to be Eastern European.

The Sabres don't have that type of guy on this team.

Add in the whole Russian Factor thing and I don't see Zherdev to Buffalo working out even if it does happen.

I think the Sabres need more character, leadership, grit, and toughness.

Skill isn't the issue here.

And Zherdev brings none of those to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
But as said, I don't see it happening.
And that's the main point I've been making.

Old
07-05-2010, 04:08 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
They think Roy and Connolly are top 2 centers. Stafford was benched in the playoffs. Logic points to them wanting a wing.