HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Washington Capitals Development Camp, July 11-17

Old
07-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
yeah, i wish the best of luck to Finley. If he could just stay healthy, I think he could have a shot at a bottom pair in the league. He's so big.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

vCash: 500
Right, we all did them in some form or fashion, whether on ice, on a soccer field, shuttle drills, whatever. It is just that the term has become iconic, hence the surprise.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
yeah, i wish the best of luck to Finley. If he could just stay healthy, I think he could have a shot at a bottom pair in the league. He's so big.
Finley and others on nutrition...

and alcohol lol

PuckDaddy, yes, suicides is a common name for them, but I figured someone would have typed up 'herbies'; it's wikipedia after all

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Kazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-P-S View Post
If anyone was there today were you able to tell if Finley was playing amongst the forwards or defensemen?

Or was it mostly one-on-one drills?
There were a number of style of drills, but Finley played defense the entire time during his practice session (Group A, I suppose).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I agree. This is a huge year for him in terms of development. If he has a big year in Hershey, his prospects could go up significantly. If he has another down year, he is probably very lucky that he went ahead and got his diploma.

I met him in person, and he's a really nice guy. You can't help but hope he'll work out for the Caps.

Last edited by Kazer: 07-12-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Additional content, don't complain. :P
Kazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
i2edAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Sprint goal-line to blueline and back, then to red line and back, then to opp blueline and back.

Again

Again

etc.

EDIT:

Ohhhh. Sounds exactly the same as another exercise with a different name. In fact I had to do those for my highschool volleyball team practices. Yeah those are killer.

i2edAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:59 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I just had a crazy idea that maybe Orlov will snag that vacant RD spot. Kool Aid oh yeah. But we are going with a youth movement so why not go all in. He isnt going to Hershey and yeah sure he has contractual issues but still... he as much as anyone may be able to grab that vacant spot. It seems we like offense up and down the entire right side. Has he played a lot on the right side?

Just wow the coaches. hit and score is all it takes. That's in his arsenal.

Will try to be there at noon tomorrow.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:06 PM
i2edAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I just had a crazy idea that maybe Orlov will snag that vacant RD spot. Kool Aid oh yeah. But we are going with a youth movement so why not go all in. He isnt going to Hershey and yeah sure he has contractual issues but still... he as much as anyone may be able to grab that vacant spot. It seems we like offense up and down the entire right side. Has he played a lot on the right side?

I wouldn't mind that. At the moment I'm actually hoping for a complete youth movement seeing as how the Cup seems out of the question this coming season. Or at least give the kids a lot of games. If they impress then next season would be really interesting.

i2edAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DrPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Finley and others on nutrition...

and alcohol lol

PuckDaddy, yes, suicides is a common name for them, but I figured someone would have typed up 'herbies'; it's wikipedia after all
The people that know anaerobic fitness which is what hockey is with 30 to 60 sec shifts basically all avoid grains. I would love to see Ovechkin (and Paul Martin) do CrossFit, I'm sure he'd do awesome. Since he's from Russia general physical preparedness is probably how he trains.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Capitlols

Quote:

I've thought of this as well, but Erskine or Sloan needs to go.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:10 PM
LetsGoBears

Man, you want to talk about some snarl with the young guys that have a shot at Hershey this year!

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Semin

These herbie things or the suicices whatever you people down there call them the Goal back red line back far blue line then blue line thigers I hated them the most in my high level hockey days.

The absolute worse was this drill we had to do.

everyone on the goal line.
Forwards first goal line back. After everyone gets back we do 8 pushups. Right when we do the first pushup the D and goalie go. Tricky thing is everyone has to count out what pushup your on. And say I'm on 5 and someone yells 6, you gotta start allllllllllllllllover. After that you go back to the far goal line and back and do 7

Then go to the far blue line back 6, then 5. Then red line back and do 4, repeat do 3.

then close blue line and back 2, again then do 1. And by the last one your just tired and out of it. Especially since if our coach caught you doing like a wimpy push up you start allover.

Then we would start on the blue line, go to the other blue line, center red line, then back to the blue line and do 20 pushups. We did that about 3 times. During those the coaches would yell. up, half way....hold it......hold it......HOLD IT......down.

Did I mention that was just warm up?

As much as I hated it, looking back on it I was in the best shape of my life.

And if we were 1 minute late getting on the ice because even for practice we had to come on as a team and if we were late....50 pushups per every minute were late getting onto the ice.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Andrew

Thanks for the info..... I guess?

Anyone who's played hockey before has done herbies or something like them. No need to explain your drill in detail

P.S. im not drunk. I swear.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Semin

I felt like explaining the drill I use to do since people were talking about the drill. Sorry for hurting your feelings internet cop!

Hey buddy, I'll gladly PM you and explain more drills my team had to do for hockey if your interested.

Last edited by Semin: 07-12-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:21 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Is there a combined list of all the caps prospects and free agents, sorted by group A or B? I started making one but its missing many players, and only have two defensemen in place, so i bailed figuring its gotta be on the net already. But the googles do nothing.

Old
07-13-2010, 08:23 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Is there a combined list of all the caps prospects and free agents, sorted by group A or B? I started making one but its missing many players, and only have two defensemen in place, so i bailed figuring its gotta be on the net already. But the googles do nothing.
I'll pull something together, but the FA invites are separated by group in the first post.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:43 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I'll pull something together, but the FA invites are separated by group in the first post.
I had a feeling you were making one as I was posting that.... but was surprised there wasnt one already assembled by the team or a blogger. It seems its SK8 or bust! Yes I did see the great free agent list you and Langway compiled and sorted by group, and know that was the hard one to assemble. Thanks.

Old
07-13-2010, 08:46 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

They usually give something out the day of the scrimmages that break them out....usually.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:49 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Its great to read good news on Finley. Back to full health, dropping fat yet up to 262 pounds, and dropping free agent invitees. If this guy can somehow squeak on board as our 7 one day, he is the type of player our listless defense needs. People often speak of large defensemen needing extra development time, and he is no different. Going the college route, he may require even more time. I gotta admit, I kinda wrote him off.

Quote:
Finley went to Minneapolis to do rehabilitation and conditioning work with innovative Caps sports physiology maven Jack Blatherwick.

“I can’t give Jack enough praise for the work he’s done with me,” Finley said.

“He tells me to push a car or something, I’ll go do that. You just listen to the guy. His training regimen and techniques are always ahead of the curve and cutting edge. I can’t be more fortunate.”

Finley is in excellent shape and impressed Caps head coach Bruce Boudreau on the first day of the week-long camp.

I think Joe looks like he’s improved a great deal,” Boudreau said. “His attitude is tremendous. I expect him to be in Hershey. His play will dictate where he’s going to be.”

Old
07-13-2010, 08:58 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

He's a guy we all want to root for...since he's exactly what they need...but I dunno. Lost me when he decided to go back for his Senior year. I mean, I don't hold it against him or anything since finishing school is a good thing...but it ended up being a terrible decision for his hockey playing future thus far. Still time to make up for it...but the clock is most definitely ticking.

Old
07-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Roccoman

i'm with ya Randy - if Finley ever makes it to the NHL that'll be one fearsome dude on the blueline... 6'8" 262 ?!? are you ####ing kidding me??!!??

may be a silly question but is he a decent pugilist?

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:06 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

If...

Old
07-13-2010, 09:10 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Finley sure as hell seems motivated to succeed. I just hope in all his training since the freak accident with his artery, that he has better agility. For someone of a substantial girth as him, it takes a lot of leg strength to be able to drive such a massive rig. And it starts with being in shape. He isnt just in shape, BB said he is in excellent shape.

Regardless of his agility, the league's pylons like a Sutton or Hal Gill can be a key cog in a cup run. Heck even Sarge pulled a plus fiddy. Finley so needs to be a stay at homer, and maybe ignore Bruce's calls to fly all over the ice, for now at least. Keep it simple. But pound anyone that dares to venture into his cant miss range.

Old
07-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Predatials

still early but he needs to work on the fisticuffing

Predatials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:15 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

The clock is ticking but Finley is only 23 years old (just had a bday) with just 18 games pro experience and no lower body injuries. The blueline is set for a couple of years anyway (Ha!), so we can let him brew in Hershey. His biggest worry is younger prospects passing him on the depth chart.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:19 AM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
may be a silly question but is he a decent pugilist?
Based on his one fight in South Carolina...no. Got his arse handed to him.

Won't be able to get to camp this week outside of Saturday, but last year, Finley's issue was his lateral movement--it was really easy for players to blow by him. Through him...not so much. His north-south skating was decent once he got going, but he's got to improve other aspects if he wants a shot at even being a 7th guy.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote