HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2003-04 Philadelphia Flyers appreciation thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2004, 12:13 PM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
I think someone should make a thanks avatar for the boys and this season. It would be an avatar I would be proud to use.

Old
05-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to Mongoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
IMO if there hadn't been all of the injuries you guys would have been in the cup for sure!
You know what, i think if they didnt have the injuries they had they wouldnt have gotten this far. With the exception of Ragnarsson and Desjardins second arm injury, we bettered off of all the other. Roenick and Primeau were 2 of the fresher players on the ice the whole postseason. That was clearly evident by Primeau's outstanding and motivational play. And because of them we got an excellent center (can't fault him too much for not showing up in one series.) in Zhamnov Without all the defensemen injuries, we never would have gotten Markov, our most physical dman. Malakhov seemed to do much better when he was actually playing with a quality team.

Overall this was a season to remember. A season full of heart, motivation, and intensity. And its never to early to look to the future. Surely there are players that will leave, by means of free agency or trades. And yet, there are surely players that will get. And we all should rest easy knowing that we have players like Carter and Richards, two blossoming prospects ready to improve this great team.

The Flyers will persevere. Their great story resembles a novel. And trust me, this is only the prologue...

Old
05-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Great season u guys im proud to be an SOB and i think the fly guys put on a great show for us. I think the next season will be great Philly in 2005 or 2006

Old
05-23-2004, 03:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
I think next year we need to avoid Toronto in the playoffs. This would have turned out differently if the Bruins weren't a bunch of chokers!!

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-23-2004, 03:09 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I think next year we need to avoid Toronto in the playoffs. This would have turned out differently if the Bruins weren't a bunch of chokers!!
Aww, I was so pissed when the Bruins had to screw up and manage to lose, I seriously would have picked us over TB if we had played the brew-crew. Great effort this year.

Go Flames!!! Canada's last Hope.

Old
05-23-2004, 06:47 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Aww, I was so pissed when the Bruins had to screw up and manage to lose, I seriously would have picked us over TB if we had played the brew-crew. Great effort this year.

Go Flames!!! Canada's last Hope.
I really believed, at that time, our fate was sealed when Boston lost...yet we came within one late goal of playing in sudden death to go to the finals.

I'm still so proud of this team, me being me I try to be negative, but really can't. We beat two legit cup contenders, and rivals. Just exceeded expectations, everyone, at some point of the season got hurt, we moved on...It was such an enjoyment to watch, Keith Primeau in particular. Hopefully we're able to get him a long term contract extension, and he can be a superb captain into his late 30's

Old
05-23-2004, 11:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2534
I left this reply in the thread asking about 2000 and 2004, so I will cut and paste and leave it here, too.

2004 was heartbreaking. Reminded me of 1987 more so than anything else. This team fought off all negativity and refused to succumb to any detrimental act tossed their way. Management answered the bell by filling in any need with appropriate swiftness, coaches somehow molded and sculpted a winning and cohesive unit despite the irregular loss of man-power and players responded with an admirable and spirited approach.

They gave their all and left every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears on this ice that night. That can't be said of many of the past losses. The pain stings, it is nauseating but no one is finger-pointing and they gave us so many splendid moments this post-season. I for one am grateful. Thank you, boys!

Old
05-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Great run against adversity...we'll be back hungrier than anyone. Keith Primeau has finally emerged...time for Carter and Richards also. Can't say enough about this teams effort, they left it all out on the ice. I'm prouder to be a Flyer Fan today than I was yesterday...............probably cause we didn't go out and get our doors blown off 6-1. Thanks for a season to remember

Old
05-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

I was away this weekend, in Harrisburg visiting some family, but of course I got to watch Game 7.

Some thoughts.

That loss was devistating. It was as bad as the 2000 collapse in terms of what it meant (great shot at the Cup), but it did not leave a bad taste in my mouth. This team seemed like a team destined for greatness, and in some ways, even without the Cup, they did as much.

Keith Primeau. What more can I say? Keith inspired us all with his play. His refuse to die attitude is stuff legends are made of, and it's a pitty that he did not have a better fate.

Robert Esche. What a run this kid had. He strapped the team on his back against New Jersey and finally helped us exercise our "Demons". Robert should also be commended for Game 7. He made 16 saves in the second period, and in the third gave this team every chance to win. Great run Chico.

Danny Markov & Vladimir Malahkov. Both of these guys had fantastic runs. If Danny Markov is not a fan favorate by now, he should be. Malahkov made Desjardins loss less of an issue.

Simon Gagne. Thanks for responding to Clarke's challange, it was great to see.

Jeremy Roenick. Toughest SOB in the entire league.

Kim Johnsson. Great season, and great playoff run. Get that hand taken care of because you are irreplaceable.

Mattias Timander. Pretty good for an 8th rounder eh? Please come back next season if you can.

Michel Handzus. Thanks for being the Zeus.

Sean Burke. Great job with the doors, and for being a bud to Chico.

Branko Radivojevic. Heart and soul.

I'm probably missing somebody, but there is a whole summer to reconise their efforts if I did. No bashing in this thread for me, only thanks.

Old
05-24-2004, 10:25 AM
jerseydevil

Losing sucks ...plain and simple.. Great season for the Flyers.

Old
05-24-2004, 11:59 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
I was away this weekend, in Harrisburg visiting some family, but of course I got to watch Game 7.

Some thoughts.

That loss was devistating. It was as bad as the 2000 collapse in terms of what it meant (great shot at the Cup), but it did not leave a bad taste in my mouth. This team seemed like a team destined for greatness, and in some ways, even without the Cup, they did as much.

Keith Primeau. What more can I say? Keith inspired us all with his play. His refuse to die attitude is stuff legends are made of, and it's a pitty that he did not have a better fate.

Robert Esche. What a run this kid had. He strapped the team on his back against New Jersey and finally helped us exercise our "Demons". Robert should also be commended for Game 7. He made 16 saves in the second period, and in the third gave this team every chance to win. Great run Chico.

Danny Markov & Vladimir Malahkov. Both of these guys had fantastic runs. If Danny Markov is not a fan favorate by now, he should be. Malahkov made Desjardins loss less of an issue.

Simon Gagne. Thanks for responding to Clarke's challange, it was great to see.

Jeremy Roenick. Toughest SOB in the entire league.

Kim Johnsson. Great season, and great playoff run. Get that hand taken care of because you are irreplaceable.

Mattias Timander. Pretty good for an 8th rounder eh? Please come back next season if you can.

Michel Handzus. Thanks for being the Zeus.

Sean Burke. Great job with the doors, and for being a bud to Chico.

Branko Radivojevic. Heart and soul.

I'm probably missing somebody, but there is a whole summer to reconise their efforts if I did. No bashing in this thread for me, only thanks.
let me add the name Sammi Kapanen--did EVERYTHING what was asked of him this season. He would have played goal if was asked. the ultimate team player. He can play for this team any day.

Old
05-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
let me add the name Sammi Kapanen--did EVERYTHING what was asked of him this season. He would have played goal if was asked. the ultimate team player. He can play for this team any day.
Shame on me, I can't beleive I forgot Kapanen.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:13 PM
kherninko

This close

This run was done on heart. Primeau and Sami should be Flyers for a long time. Goodbye to the vets you made a valiant effort. Hitch, the reins are yours. Rebuild as you will. We believe in you.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:05 PM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
I'm prouder to be a Flyer Fan today than I was yesterday...............probably cause we didn't go out and get our doors blown off 6-1.
Or 8-0 like they did against Buffalo a few years ago. That was the one thing I was worried about coming off that emotional high of game 6.....you knew TB would come out flying, and I just hoped the Flyers didn't come out flat and find themselves down 4-0 after 1. They instead played on heart, and came oh so close.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:07 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seeker 25
Or 8-0 like they did against Buffalo a few years ago. That was the one thing I was worried about coming off that emotional high of game 6.....you knew TB would come out flying, and I just hoped the Flyers didn't come out flat and find themselves down 4-0 after 1. They instead played on heart, and came oh so close.

Robert Esche also has a little somehting to do with it. Tampa easily could have scored 5 or 6.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:21 PM
The Seeker 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Robert Esche also has a little somehting to do with it. Tampa easily could have scored 5 or 6.
No question about it. The save he made on a horrific giveaway with about 35 seconds left in regulation of game 7 was incredible. It gave the Flyers a chance, and Rex almost hit paydirt with his wrister from the top of the circles. If that went in and the Flyers won in OT, then went on to win the Cup, the Esche save just previous to that would have been looked at through the ages as the miraculous catalyst.

That, and the Primeau tying goal with 1:49 left in regulation in game 6...

Old
05-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Flyers26

For as many injuries as this team had, I give them all the credit in the world, for making it to a game 7 conference finals. they could have packed it up, and the end of the season.
I would love to have had just one more healthy defenseman around. What a difference a Rags or Rico would have made!

I give Clarkie a lot of credit for most of the moves he made at the end, but what was he thinking in the Comrie deal? We lost Jeff Woywita, for what, a bench warming goalie & a 4th line winger. We could have got both at a much lower cost.
That and the Weinrich trade, for a 5th rounder? We take on salary all the time, and having him as a 7th d-man at the time wasn't an option?

Old
05-24-2004, 03:41 PM
The Seeker 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
I give Clarkie a lot of credit for most of the moves he made at the end, but what was he thinking in the Comrie deal? We lost Jeff Woywita, for what, a bench warming goalie & a 4th line winger. We could have got both at a much lower cost.
No doubt the cost was steep......hopefully Ben Eager turns out to be a decent player.

Quote:
That and the Weinrich trade, for a 5th rounder? We take on salary all the time, and having him as a 7th d-man at the time wasn't an option?
I guess Clarke was trying to pare some salary when he dealt Weinrich and Therien. We could have used Weinrich when all of the injuries hit. Oh well....

Old
05-24-2004, 03:44 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
#1. I think Radivojevic will be more than a 4th line winger.

#2. Esche was hurt, we had no goalie at the time and weren't going to pack in the season. They weren't going to trust the season on a rookie goalie. If you haven't noticed Hitch is not real fond of depending on rookies.

#3. We had almost no wing prospects (save for Ruzicka). Eager will help.

#4. Weinrich was horrible for the 20 games previous to the trade.

Old
05-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
#1. I think Radivojevic will be more than a 4th line winger.
I think he may have second line potential. At worst he's a great workhorse for the third line.

He's only 23, so he's going to get better.

Old
05-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
I think he may have second line potential.

Please, don't over value him. He'll be a third line player at best.

Old
05-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Teezax

The team is miles ahead of what we were for the last several years. I see promise under the Hitch regime, and can't wait to see the likes of Carter Richards and Rucizka take over some roster spots. Hopefully we will resign Prims and work with that. It's been quite a run, too bad it's over, I hate watchign hockey when my team is out!

Old
05-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Pelle31

Great season by the Flyers, they went farther than a lot of the so called experts predicted they would. It would have been nice to see them in the finals and hoist the cup but it wasn't meant to be. A plus is Robert Esche looks like a number one goalie for awhile and the Flyers have to resign Keith Primeau. He proved to a lot of Philly fans that he's the type of captain this club needs, hopefully Clarke doesn't let him go to another team. Looking forward to the Flyers team of 2004/05.

Old
05-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Teezax

I'm a little worried about Keith though, players tend to play their hearts out on the last year of their contracts. If we sign him, I expect to see the same player we saw all year and not the one we saw when Hitch wasn't around.

Old
05-28-2004, 06:04 AM
The Seeker 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
I'm a little worried about Keith though, players tend to play their hearts out on the last year of their contracts.

I had that same thought. I believe Primeau won't be one of those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
If we sign him, I expect to see the same player we saw all year and not the one we saw when Hitch wasn't around.

We will sign him, unless his contract demands far outweigh possible cap concerns. And I believe Hitch has had the desired influence on Keith and that will only get better with time. Of course Primeau won't be able to play every regular season game like he did throughout the playoffs, but barring serious injury, I even expect his numbers in the regular season to improve greatly (which won't be too hard to do on last year's regular season numbers......unless there is a lockout).

Closed Thread