HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Empty feelings...Stick Questions

Old
07-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Blues88

vCash: 500
Empty feelings...Stick Questions

Firstly I would like to give a bit of background before diving into questions.

Bought a pro return One95 off of Ebay a year ago. Previously used a 110 flex Heatley patterned se16. What a waste of ~$200. Utter crap. Good feel.

This bauer was a PM9 and a 102 flex. It survived a year that included 4 months of ice for about 8-10 hours a week. It was in tune with my emotions. I had fallen in love.

It met its demise this past Friday in a Brad Boyes kind of way....closing in on the hashmarks and one timing a crisp pass. We've all been there. Broke between the e and the m of "supreme". Shaft is trashed.

Emptiness set in, and then reality followed suit as my summer finances have not been bolstered by "steady income". (It's summer, I'm still in college. ). Want to "get by" with around $100. When I get some more money I'll pick up another ringer.

1. What should I get to hold me over? x:40 or S11 or ?

2. Has anyone ever reused the blade from a one piece and stuck it in a different shaft? I'm having separation anxiety and total hockey has 2 One95 shafts left...

3. Should I go down in flex to an 87? I'm 5"9, 200, and I have a pretty decent shot. ALWAYS room for improvement, and I basically went from intermediate flex to 110. I've been playing for years but it never hurts to experiment.

/rant. Thanks for your responses.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Pierre Gotye

Sticks are a hard thing to judge when you can't try them out on the ice.

You can always try the ebay or craigslist method to sell it. Or post a flyer at your local rink saying you'll let it go for cheap, half price or something.

Different stick companies rate stick flexes different. This is a real gray area. I noticed that the thing that effects sticks differently is where the kick point is. That determines a lot as far as shaft rigidity/flex/stiffness goes. One manufacturer might make an 85 flex, and then you pick up another stick of similar feel and it might be a 95 flex instead.

There are lots of sticks you can choose from I have heard X:40 and S11 are decent, although I have never used them.

Remember sticks are like anything though...which cellphone is the best...what car is the best...it's all a matter of opinion. Everyone has an opinion on what's better.

Opinions are like noses they all run when disturbed and always need to be blown and wiped away.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:09 AM
AIREAYE

If you liked the feel of the One95, the X:40 and Vapor series in general feel very different. But I vouch for the X:40, solid stick for $100

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:17 PM
GuitarAwesome

X:40 is a decent stick for the price point. I'm not a large fan of Bauer sticks, but it gets the job done. It's a tad soft though.

If you need a tank of a stick (since you appear to have a high flex), the Easton ST is great. There's a reason alot of the SE16, S17 and S19 are ST repaints in the show. The stick performs well, and holds up to serious abuse. It's under 100$ as well.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:19 PM
GuitarAwesome

Also, you cannot reuse a one piece blade if the one piece broke in the shaft area. Toss it away, it is now garbage.

Going lower in flex depends on your game. Since you're a larger person, I would stick at 100 flex. 87 is for banging in wrist shots. I have an 85 flex for normal forward shifts, since I mostly take wrist shots, and a 110 flex stick for playing the point on the PP for one timers. Depends what you are looking to do.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:51 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Contact TSR, they generally sell pro stock one95s for around $125.

You can find them on eBay, facebook and twitter.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:53 PM
jsykes

You dont say if you're left or right, but why dont you give TSR Hockey a call and just get another $100 One95 pro stock. https://www.tsrhockey.org/cgi-bin/co...n&key=ST-10543

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Blues88

I bought the x:40 earlier today but only had time to shoot a few off of some cardboard in the garage. Not enough to gauge if it feels right. I never saw myself getting a two piece set up but those One95 shafts were calling to me.....

Thanks for the links to TSR hockey. Can't believe they have a One95 PM9 in a 112. I may have to take this x:40 back pick up that beauty. The Flex is outrageous but who knows. I shoot left by the way.

I figured my old stick was useless. Though now that I found the heat gun I may just frankenstein something together (with a cut se16 shaft no less) in the name of extreme boredom.

Thanks for all the replies! If anyone has any input on the feel of RBK and warrior sticks (they are foreign to me) I would love to hear it. I have seen alot of 10ks dolomites floating around.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Devil Dancer

112 flex? That's pretty extreme, don't expect to get any kick out of that thing. You're probably better off with a stick that doesn't feel quite the same but is in a flex that's designed for you. There is a school of thought that says you should use the lowest possible flex stick that you can without breaking it on a regular basis, and you're doing the opposite of that.

I haven't tried the X40, but the X60 is a decent stick. I like the feel of the One95 better, though.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
112 flex? That's pretty extreme, don't expect to get any kick out of that thing. You're probably better off with a stick that doesn't feel quite the same but is in a flex that's designed for you. There is a school of thought that says you should use the lowest possible flex stick that you can without breaking it on a regular basis, and you're doing the opposite of that.

I haven't tried the X40, but the X60 is a decent stick. I like the feel of the One95 better, though.
This x:40, though I havent tried it out on the ice, just feels kind of numb compared to the one95. Maybe I'm just crazy though, which is the more likely scenario.

112 is extreme, and the more I think about all this, the more I lean towards buying a two piece.

Old
07-06-2010, 12:02 AM
TBLfan

I've tried the one95 in OPS, standard shaft and tapered shaft(with dolo blade), the OPS is BY FAR the best in my opinion.

The standard shaft is stiffer than the OPS, on the same flex. The tapered was closer to the OPS but available in less flex options and does not including the 95 flex I prefer in the OPS. The 87, even cut down 3" is waay too whippy for me, personally.

Old
07-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I've tried the one95 in OPS, standard shaft and tapered shaft(with dolo blade), the OPS is BY FAR the best in my opinion.

The standard shaft is stiffer than the OPS, on the same flex. The tapered was closer to the OPS but available in less flex options and does not including the 95 flex I prefer in the OPS. The 87, even cut down 3" is waay too whippy for me, personally.
I've heard that from two other people that the one piece is far superior in the One95. I loved it and plan on getting another one when I replenish the bank account. I'm going to stick with pro returns with those, especially now since the total one line (I think) will be coming out soon. Hopefully there will be a slight influx and TSR will have one in a 102.

Played with the x:40 tonight, and it feels pretty decent. Not bad for $100 I guess. Snaps felt good. Time will tell.

Thanks again to everybody who chimed in.

Old
07-06-2010, 03:03 AM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I'll back up that the one95 OPS is better than the tapered shaft, I've never used the standard shaft.

But, they're not that far off. Using 87 flex in both I don't see a huge difference in shooting, it's more in stick handling and such, and I think that's 'cause I'm using an X:60 blade instead of the profile of the one95 ops blade.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 04:44 AM
goord*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
I'll back up that the one95 OPS is better than the tapered shaft, I've never used the standard shaft.

But, they're not that far off. Using 87 flex in both I don't see a huge difference in shooting, it's more in stick handling and such, and I think that's 'cause I'm using an X:60 blade instead of the profile of the one95 ops blade.
might be that reason

goord* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:51 AM
weedsnager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Contact TSR, they generally sell pro stock one95s for around $125.

You can find them on eBay, facebook and twitter.

where on facebook do you find things for sale?

weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post

I think that's what bothers me about the X60; the blade profile is pretty different from the One95, which was surprising to me. My next stick will be either a One95 or a Supreme100 depending on how that one turns out.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
stamkosisboss

http://www.blueicehockey.com/index.html
I use a blue ice stick and they are amazing. Their pro model only costs 80 dollars so that is well within yourp rice range. I really would suggest you go look at the site cause these are great sticks.

stamkosisboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:37 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedsnager View Post
where on facebook do you find things for sale?
Find their profile and fan page. Just put "TSR" in facebook search.