Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Joonas Valkonen & Patrik Parkkonen

Old
07-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Joonas Valkonen & Patrik Parkkonen

I'm working on a stat project these days, and Joonas Valkonen & Patrik Parkkonen tested really well for their defensive play. They look like young kids. Don't have much offense yet but I'd like to hear how they played defensively. Maybe there's just some work to do with my stuff and they's not that good but anyway, let me know. By good I mean clearly above defensemen their age.

Last edited by Mathletic: 10-01-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:11 PM
ChadS

Aaltonen is a forward...

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Aaltonen is a forward...
I must have had him mixed up with someone else

I'll check

Old
07-07-2010, 03:09 AM
Quethas

Send a message via MSN to Quethas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
I must have had him mixed up with someone else

I'll check
Miro Hovinen?

Quethas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:44 AM
Mathletic

I meant Patrik Parkkonen

I was looking at that page

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...n#post17200685

and got mixed up between Parkkonen and Aaltonen who next to one another in the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quethas View Post
nope, but he's another player who tests very well

got an opinion on the guy?

Old
09-02-2010, 08:40 PM
WildHockey90

Joonas Valkonen iced on D for the Blues in a warmup match against Lukko in Matinkylä yesterday. (Blues won 6-4) he was on the 3rd pairing alongside another junior, Robin Saari.

Their lineup was laden with youngsters, some playing their first ever senior level game in a Blues shirt (Huovila, Halinen, Manninen, Tamminen, Saari)

I didn't see the game so can't form an opinion on the guy unfortunately, but the youngsters did give a good account of themselves according to Matikainen.

Just thought I'll give you a heads-up.

WildHockey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2010, 07:40 AM
LoveHateLeafs

A couple of updates on these guys if you’re still interested….

1) Parkkonen just played his first game with the Medicine Hat Tigers. He didn’t get any points and was -1. He’s also the smallest defenseman on the team by three inches and 21 pounds. It’ll be interesting to see how he develops. Kris Russell, now of the Blue Jackets, is a really good small D-man (5’10, 185 if you believe the NHL website) who spent his junior career with the Tigers, though that was while Willie Desjardins was still coaching there.

2) Joonas Valkonen appears to have started the year fairly well. He has 2 assists and 0 goals in 4 games for the undefeated Blues. What’s interesting about him is that he leads the team in average ice time (22:53, more than even Jani Hakanpaa, who was actually drafted last year). He’s tied for the team lead in +/- with Hakanpaa at +6. Yet despite spending more time on the ice than anyone else, he hasn’t been on for a single goal against, not even on the power play.

LoveHateLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
A couple of updates on these guys if you’re still interested….

1) Parkkonen just played his first game with the Medicine Hat Tigers. He didn’t get any points and was -1. He’s also the smallest defenseman on the team by three inches and 21 pounds. It’ll be interesting to see how he develops. Kris Russell, now of the Blue Jackets, is a really good small D-man (5’10, 185 if you believe the NHL website) who spent his junior career with the Tigers, though that was while Willie Desjardins was still coaching there.

2) Joonas Valkonen appears to have started the year fairly well. He has 2 assists and 0 goals in 4 games for the undefeated Blues. What’s interesting about him is that he leads the team in average ice time (22:53, more than even Jani Hakanpaa, who was actually drafted last year). He’s tied for the team lead in +/- with Hakanpaa at +6. Yet despite spending more time on the ice than anyone else, he hasn’t been on for a single goal against, not even on the power play.
yeap, still interested, especially for Valkonen, thanks!

Old
12-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Mathletic

any updates on Joonas Valkonen?

Old
12-20-2010, 06:30 AM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
any updates on Joonas Valkonen?
Playing still in A juniors 23games (2+6=8) +11 (22:54min per game)

I cant say more cause i havent seen him play, but mayby somebody can help you more

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 01:12 AM
LoveHateLeafs

Being from Canada as well, I can only go from the stats available, but the past couple of months have also seen some ratings in the form of NHL central scouting listings. His stats currently are:

23gp 2g 6a 8 pts, +11, average ice time of 22:54. He is third among D-men for team scoring, and still leads in +/- and ice time despite being the youngest D on his team. I know +/- is not always a great indicator, but the consistently high ice time seems to be evidence that the coaches have a great deal of confidence in him. It’s probably also worth mentioning that he’s currently playing on the third-best team in Finnish Jr. A. His average time on the PP and PK are almost identical to that of Hakanpaa, which leaves them both tied for 2nd in these areas after Nikke Kettukangas, who gets a lot of PP.

I’m sort of curious as to why Valkonen wasn’t even invited to play in some U20 games in the Mestis. I find it odd that the Finnish coach (an assistant with the Espoo Blues) would invite Hakanpaa but not even take a look at a player whom the junior coaches in his own organization seem value more highly (if ice time is any indication).

In mid-October, NHL Central Scouting released an international “Players to Watch List”, with the prospects organized by country and given either an A, B, or C rating, each of which was defined as follows:

Quote:
A - considered a must see player, identified as a potential First or Second round selection in the upcoming NHL Entry Draft.
B - a player to note if you are in the area, a potential selection in the mid rounds Third to Fifth Round Draft selection in the upcoming NHL Entry Draft
C - a player Central Scouting is tracking, a potential late round selection in the upcoming NHL Entry Draft: we are not recommending that the team scouts go out of their way to get a viewing on these players.
For Finland, the players were rated as follows:

A: Armia, Markus Granlund, Sami Salminen, Salomaki

B: Oula Palve

C: Santeri Arousva, Markus Hannikainen, Arttu Heikkinen, Jesper Kokkonen, Robert Leino, Robert Rooba, Miihkali Teppo, Valkonen, Tomi Wilenius

In mid-November Central Scouting released a preliminary international ranking, again organized by country. For Finland, the top 7 was:

1) Armia
2) Salomaki
3) Granlund
4) Palve
5) Tomi Wilenius
6) Sami Salminen
7) Joonas Valkonen

Explanations aren’t provided for these rankings, so make of them what you will. Maybe some Finnish posters can give us a better idea of how these guys actually play. Looking at the stats, though, the listings seem to be a bit odd. Valkonen isn’t huge, but at 6’0, 180 he’s not exactly tiny either, and I would have thought that leading the third best team in the league in ice time despite being its youngest D-man would have warranted a B. I can see Salminen being rated higher. A 6’5, 200lb 17-year old who has 1.3 points per game in junior A is an idea that excites a lot of people. What’s hard to understand (based on the stats), is how Wilenius and Palve are ranked ahead of Salminen and Valkonen. Wilenius is 5’8 and is barely over 0.5 points per game. Palve is a small (5’10, 159) 92 who was passed over and now has a points-per-game slightly higher than the 93-born Salminen. On the other hand, Palve averages 19:55 a game, while Salminen averages 16:26.

Again, I’ve never seen these kids play. Salminen may be a terrible skater, as could Valkonen, but at this point, the professionals seem to view Valkonen as the seventh-best skater coming out of Finland this year.

Old
12-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
at this point, the professionals seem to view Valkonen as the seventh-best skater coming out of Finland this year.
Valkonen might be 7th on that list, but personally I feel that the chances of him getting drafted are very slim. The same goes for Palve and Wilenius as well, and they are 4th and 5th on that list. Valkonen doesn’t have any major weaknesses in his game, but on the other hand he doesn’t have any major assets as a player either. The problem with him is that he doesn’t have the size, strength or meanness to be a stay-at-home shutdown defenseman in the NHL, and on the other hand lacks the offensive skill-set to be an offensively productive defenseman in the NHL. SM-liiga is full of these kinds of defensemen.

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2010, 09:51 PM
LoveHateLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Valkonen might be 7th on that list, but personally I feel that the chances of him getting drafted are very slim. The same goes for Palve and Wilenius as well, and they are 4th and 5th on that list. Valkonen doesn’t have any major weaknesses in his game, but on the other hand he doesn’t have any major assets as a player either. The problem with him is that he doesn’t have the size, strength or meanness to be a stay-at-home shutdown defenseman in the NHL, and on the other hand lacks the offensive skill-set to be an offensively productive defenseman in the NHL. SM-liiga is full of these kinds of defensemen.
Thanks. Slightly OT, but what is your impression of Salminen? Strengths/weaknesses?

Old
12-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Thanks. Slightly OT, but what is your impression of Salminen? Strengths/weaknesses?
I want to see Salminen more before going into details about his game. I might be able to answer your question better at the end of the season.

Old
01-01-2011, 02:01 PM
LoveHateLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
I want to see Salminen more before going into details about his game. I might be able to answer your question better at the end of the season.
Thanks anyway. With Salminen's size and ability to put up points (at least in Jr. A), he's an interesting, if somewhat mysterious prospect. I wouldn't be surprised if some team took a flyer on him in June, depending on his performance at the U18's.

Old
01-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Thanks anyway. With Salminen's size and ability to put up points (at least in Jr. A), he's an interesting, if somewhat mysterious prospect. I wouldn't be surprised if some team took a flyer on him in June, depending on his performance at the U18's.
I'd like to see him play more before making up my mind about him, but at the moment I believe that Salminen will be drafted. ...and he doesn't have to play at the WU18C's to prove that he possess attributes that should make many GM's consider strongly about using a mid to late round pick for acquiring his rights. He knows how to protect the puck and how to pass it around, he's a force around the net and a good power play guy. I guess that the biggest question mark around him is his present and future ability to play a high tempo game reliably for the full 60 minutes. Also he has had some injury problems during that last year which definitely haven't helped him.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:01 AM
Mathletic

thanks for the updates btw, I forgot to check the thread back