HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

What would you give for Gagne?

Old
07-05-2010, 09:35 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Without Gagne we never would have gotten past the bruins. He sparked the comeback.

I dont want to trade him, but he does have familiarity with your GM and coaches so LA would probably be a good fit for him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:39 AM
socalpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Without Gagne we never would have gotten past the bruins. He sparked the comeback.

I dont want to trade him, but he does have familiarity with your GM and coaches so LA would probably be a good fit for him
What is philly looking for in return?

socalpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:42 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpuck View Post
What is philly looking for in return?
Quick or Bernier would be ideal but I think Lombardi wants to keep both for now right?

If I were GM I would just keep Gagne, and have not signed Shelley or Leighton to new deals. Then we would have enough room for Turco. If we have to move Gagne for space, I guess something around Moller makes sense as cheap replacement

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Leighton, Briere, Giroux, Mike Richards and this dude named Pronger had a lot more to do with it than Gagne home slice.
Que? Before Gagne came back, the Flyers were down three games to zero to the Boston Bruins. Gagne returns, scores the OT goal in game 4, manages a 2 goal game in game 5, and caps the series off by scoring the 4th goal in game 7, giving the Flyers the final 4-3 lead. Without Gagne, Briere doesn't get a chance to score those 12 points in the Stanley Cup Finals. Giroux's a great player, but Gagne's better for at least a few more years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I can only assume those against Gagne have not watched him play. The guy is an all around talent and has decent size and toughness to boot. That is not to say I want to see him here. I too am concerned about his injury history.

Now, keep in mind that the reports are he has been asked to waive his no trade clause and has said yes. That right there made his value drop (because Philly has made it known they want to get rid of him). Second, he is an UFA after this season. Value just dropped more. Third, he does come with RECENT injury history (some of you make it sound he has been Gaborik). All of those things tell me that if Dean can sign him here for a pick and/or a prospect, he pulls the trigger and doesn't look back.
With all due respect, the LA Kings would be getting Simon Gagne for a full season. He has a chance to play 82+ games, feel out the area, and negotiate a new contract. Hamhuis did none of that, and he pulled a roster player out of Philadelphia, and then a third round pick out of Pittsburgh. I have to believe Gagne would return more. For my own personal health.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:46 AM
socalpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Quick or Bernier would be ideal but I think Lombardi wants to keep both for now right?

If I were GM I would just keep Gagne, and have not signed Shelley or Leighton to new deals. Then we would have enough room for Turco. If we have to move Gagne for space, I guess something around Moller makes sense as cheap replacement
It would be tough to give up Moller but you got to pay to play.
Thanks for the input.

Old
07-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

if they are in need to get rid of him as a salary dump

Parse + 2nd

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:57 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Sign Randy Jones to a 10yr/$40m contract with a no movement clause that doesn't kick in until next season... THEN trade him for Gagne...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:58 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood93 View Post
Philly screwed LA the last time they traded us a 5 million dollar player with one year left.
How did we get screwed by Philly? They gave us a pick to take Roenick. If anyone screwed us, it was Roenick.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:00 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpuck View Post
Gagne is not my 1st choice and would not give much up for him having one year left on the contract. But going into a contract year he is going to want to prove he can stay healthy and perform for a nice day.
One of the things DL said he wanted to add was some speed to the lineup.
I actually look at the one year contract as being a good thing. If he doesn't pan out, we are off the hook before we have to worry about extensions for Doughty, etc. At his age, we wouldn't want to resign him for more than two or three years anyways, given he does have some injury issues.

Old
07-05-2010, 10:02 AM
socalpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
How did we get screwed by Philly? They gave us a pick to take Roenick. If anyone screwed us, it was Roenick.
Roenick admitted he did not come into camp in shape. Philly did not screw us on that deal at all.
Maybe as a organiziation back then the Kings did not do there homework. re; Checkmanek

Old
07-05-2010, 10:04 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
With all due respect, the LA Kings would be getting Simon Gagne for a full season. He has a chance to play 82+ games, feel out the area, and negotiate a new contract. Hamhuis did none of that, and he pulled a roster player out of Philadelphia, and then a third round pick out of Pittsburgh. I have to believe Gagne would return more. For my own personal health.
I assume the fact Philly is moving him to clear up cap space, and likely need to move him now to do so, means he won't return a huge amount. A 3rd and a decent prospect seems about right, since they also can't take back much in salary and are forcing the other team to absorb most or all of his cap hit.

Old
07-05-2010, 10:07 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Just like to say it's interesting that the team which needs to trade Gagne has fans here basically begging to keep him, while many of the fans of the team which could use him is saying they'd give nothing to get him, or simply not take him at all.

I can understand boths side however. Good discussions so far.

Old
07-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Cosmos

Philly needs to move a contract or two to finish what it is they want to do this summer.

The return in trade for Gagne will be much less than what a couple of posters have suggested.

This is a payroll dump for Philly.

Now, if Carlye or JVR is part of the deal, then yeah, it could change quite a bit, but for Gagne alone, we won't be sending top picks or prospects out IMO.

Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:53 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Getting Gagne is an implicit admission that we continually have to settle for plan "B" or in this case Plan "C." That said, I have watched Gagne play, and he was one of the players that propelled Philly to the Finals.

Still, lots of questions with Gagne, and his level of play would have to almost double from last season for him to boost the team to the level of a Kovalchuk. Remember people, we lost Frolov and his production, which is about what Gagne can be counted on to produce, all things considered.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Leighton, Briere, Giroux, Mike Richards and this dude named Pronger had a lot more to do with it than Gagne home slice.
By the way Gagne was 3rd on the team with goals in playoffs (some of them where huge OT goals) while coming back from a broken leg and playing on pain killers.

Gagne was why Flyers beat Boston.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-05-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:05 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Let's all be realistic, when has Dean ever made a deal that we expected him to make.. Modin & Halpern at the deadline, that was out of left field.. Ryan Smyth last summer wasn't the most anticipated deal in the world, neither was the signing of Rob Scuderi. Trading for Gagné is the furthest thing from a done deal, think about it, the fact that it's been publicly stated by several sources that Lombardi would be interested in Gagné if he couldn't sign Kovalchuk makes it an even less possibility that we trade for him, knowing Lombardi that is. For those of you who follow the Kings & Lombardi religiously know that when it comes to signing people or trading for an individual, it's usually out of left field.

That's what worried me about Kovalchuk, the fact that we were the favorites to land him, the fact that people knew we'd be going after him before July 1st arrived made me anxious and nervous that we'd fail. When we were gonna get Justin Williams and it was known publicly the day before the trade deadline, Lombardi insisted that it was nothing but rumors and would later on have to add a 2nd rounder because the news came out.

In the end, I really don't think Gagné is coming to LA, neither is Lecavalier or any of those guys that have been mentioned. It'll be a deal that surprises most of us because that's how DL is, even when it comes to drafting. At 15 we thought it was Emerson Etem but he took Derek Forbort.. At 4, three years ago, we thought it was Karl Alzner, but it was Thomas Hickey. We thought it was Tyler Myers 2 years ago, but it was Colten Teubert. That's why I don't think Gagné is coming here, Rich even mentioned it on his website and Rich NEVER posts rumors.. Lombardi is going to surprise us in the next couple weeks

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Sybil227

I wouldn't mind having him - but, because he is injury-prone, because it's just a 1 year contract, because it has an NTC clause, I really wouldn't be willing to give up very much for him.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I'd prefer Carter over Gagne. . . but, Gagne's playoff performance was 100x more impressive then Carter . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
Philly needs to move a contract or two to finish what it is they want to do this summer.

The return in trade for Gagne will be much less than what a couple of posters have suggested.

This is a payroll dump for Philly.
Not quite. A payroll dump more or less involves removing an albatross from the books. This is Holmgren maximizing his return for an UFA the Flyers will have great difficulties retaining.

Think about it: Who has more value? A signed Simon Gagne that's fresh off a Stanley Cup run or an injured Simon Gagne looking at free agency?

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:31 AM
ShattStar03

Here goes DL again, going after old broken down players..

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:37 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
What about Roman Cechmanek? Dimitri Yuskevich, who after he was traded to LA lost his dog and went into the toilet? Jeremy Roenick. Dean Lombardi, lol and Denis Gautheir. The Flyers have a long history of fleecing the Kings via trade and I even left out Dave Babych. They seem to have a very good sense of when a player is done, pick up the phone and call LA to work out a trade. Gagne is nice for one year, the problem is what the hell does that one year do for the LA Kings? Another one and done in the playoffs and then Gagne leaves forcing the Kings to target Cory Stillman, Marco Sturm, Eric Cole or Sergei Samsanov? It's funny how King fans are obsessed with the salary cap more than winning the Cup and then are all for trading for a one year band aid. Next summer you will be right back to Ryan Smyth as the only legit LWer and an even worse UFA market. #1 LW needs to be fixed for at least 3 seasons to prepare for a weak 2011 summer and the UFA loss of Smyth in 2012. Imagine the injury potential if your top 2 wingers are Justin Williams and Simon Gagne, THE HORROR.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:12 PM
SFKingshomer

Gagne would be a helluva pickup and makes sense because of his short term deal. I'm not sure why PHI would trade one of the top 2 way wingers in the game though...

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Dean just said that LA is not interested in Gagne.

/ thread closed

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 12:21 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Gagne would be a helluva pickup and makes sense because of his short term deal. I'm not sure why PHI would trade one of the top 2 way wingers in the game though...
Because their GM is stockpiling defensemen. And they have JVR and Hartnell on the left. They're probably assuming those 2 can carry the load and hoping JVR breaks out. I thought Briere could play the left as well but TSN has him listed as C/RW.

Old
07-05-2010, 12:23 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Dean just said that LA is not interested in Gagne.

/ thread closed
Worst summer ever (after Kovalchuk signs with the Islanders).