HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andy Sutton

Old
07-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
There are probably several teams that would want him on a 1-2 year contract but I suspect he might be looking for a longer contract.

I don't think he got three good years left in him. Possibly not even two.
I'd take him 2yrs4mil, but for me to sign him for 3 years it would have to be probably 1.5/yr... and he won't do that.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:40 AM
16w

vCash: 500
i hated sutton when the Sens had to play against him... but having him on my team was good

his huge hits gave a lot of energy to the team (and in some cases the other team as well) and he contributed with nothing fancy but solid work

that is until the playoffs... i didn't trust him defensively, he doesn't follow the puck too well and has a slow first step so can't really do much other than stick check

in overtime when all lines needed to be rolled out... sutton always made me nervous

he was on the ice for the series losing goal and although it was karlsson's fault, sutton could have been better positionally

he's probably worth about 1.5 ideally, and should be used as 5/6 d-man paired with another defensively responsible guy

16w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:47 AM
seanlinden

The problem with Sutton is simple...he's a player who scares both you and your opponents when he's on the ice.... it seems as though he's going to squeezed out of the good team market; and he's going to be left with the choice of signing with a bad team for a fair price or good team for a discount.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Lario Melieux*

Sutton is a 3rd pairing pylon that got exposed badly against the Pens. His only "positive" impact was taking out Leopold, which actually can be argued that it was something that fired the Pens up. Regardless, this guy isn't worth more than 2

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossovert View Post
Sutton Team GA:
Niedermayer Team GA:

And you underrate Sutton's hits then. If your the #1 hitter in the league, no matter what, that mean's something.
1. Sutton doesn't belong in the same conversation with Niedermayer.'
2. Even if he did, team GA has very little or no bearing on an individual's defensive ability.
3. Sutton was ranked 21st in hits.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
+ Best open ice hitter in the NHL
+ Great defensively
+ Blocks shots and will do anything to help his team
+ Can play close to 20 minutes a game + PK warrior
+ Is an expert

- Very slow (He's 6'6, 250lbs)
- No offensive contribution
- Has made dirty hits in the past
- Below average puckmoving ability
- Isn't good with the media

He's worth 2.5-3M but not for more than 2 years. Any team he goes to he'll become a fan favourite and will pump the team up with his huge hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
Sutton is a 3rd pairing pylon that got exposed badly against the Pens. His only "positive" impact was taking out Leopold, which actually can be argued that it was something that fired the Pens up. Regardless, this guy isn't worth more than 2
There was a rumor he was playing hurt in the playoffs, which makes total sense because he was much faster in the final stretch and he didn't try to put anyone through the boards after Leopold.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:50 AM
David71

sutton probably worth short-term imo, he's slow but nasty big crease clearer and so many players have been on the wrong side when he's on the ice. 1yr 2mill-2.5

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 03:07 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlweezer View Post
If the Canucks can somehow move Bieksa and O'brien for a cheap effective big 3rd line winger..it would give the Canucks around 6mil of cap flexibilty then I would definitely throw an offer for Sutton. He is the Crease clearer the Canucks need and would play a bottom pairing role for us. The canucks also have plenty of flee footed dman who can mask Suttons lack of mobility.

Edler-Hamhuis
Ehrhoff-Ballard
Salo-Sutton

I would offer him 2 mil/ year for 2 years.
#1 - About 1/3-1/2 of that money goes to Raymond
#2 - If you want to offer anyone 4mil/2yrs, the first person to get that offer will be Willie (assuming he passes physical)... better to stick with what you know than what you don't
#3 - If you pair Salo and Sutton together... you mask nothing... that would basically be putting our 2 slowest defenders together. Salo isn't slow by any means but he isn't fast either.

Honestly, Sutton is more or less a smarter version of Alberts... he will most likely be too slow for us and take dumb PIMs so why bother going down that road again? Given our defense already, i would prefer to take a chance with Alberts (given his salary) as our 6th dman then Sutton for twice the hit (altho realistically, i would prefer to either get Willie or go with plan B and Rome who is capable).

Heck if we just want someone to clear the crease, SOB is huge as well.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote