HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

MLD 2010 Assassination Thread

Old
07-09-2010, 05:15 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8476
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I was going to try to stick to assassinating teams in the other division, but for the sake of the draft, I'll look at some in my division.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 05:43 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8476
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post

PP1: Dubbie Kerr - Vladimir Zabrodsky - Todd Bertuzzi - Dick Redmond - Fredrick Olausson
PP2: Keith Crowder - Dutch Reibel - Eddie Wiseman - Steamer Maxwell - Walter Smaill

PK1: Ron Sutter - Jay Pandolfo - Normand Rochefort - Rick Green
PK2: Charlie Sands - Rich Preston - Dave Lewis - Walter Smaill
Offense

-Zabrodsky is one of the most talented players in the draft, and although the competition he played against wasn't great, he was still a very good player. This line fits together very well, Wiseman can distribute, Hextall brings toughness, and Zabrodsky the sniping goalscoring. I think Hextall is a bit of a weak link on this line. This line works very well. Only question might be its capabilities in their own zone, especially with Zabrodsky.
-This line fits together pretty well also. Kerr brings multiple things to the table, Reibel looks to be the same way being able to score and pass, and Bertuzzi is an enigma. He can be a dominant player, or a lazy floater. There's a decent amount of grit on this line as well. Again, my only question is, how will this line be able to handle itself in their own zone?
-Very good 3rd line. They won't provide all that much in terms of offense, but all 3 are very good in their own zone. I'm a Sutter fan myself because of his Flyers ties, and Preston provides good two-way ability.
-Maxwell is indirectly implied to be a physical guy by being called a "speedy terror" but is there any direct indication of being a tough player? Sands is an effective player in multiple roles, and Crowder does a good job of rounding out the line. They can serve the role as a normal 4th line by playing physical, but can handle themselves in their own zone.

Defense

-First pairing works. Rochefort is your stay at home defenseman paired with the offensive Redmond, who is one of the better PPQBs in the draft.
-Same thing with the 2nd pairing. You have your stay at home guy that covers for your puck rusher.
-3rd pairing is pretty good as well. No real complaints at all about your defense.

Goaltending

-Kipper is in the upper tier of goaltenders for sure. Bouchard's a decent backup. Not much I can say.

Special Teams

-Good PP units in terms of forwards, but I somewhat question Maxwell's ability to be a PPQB.
-My only problem with the PK units is Smaill, I don't think he's ideal for PK but isn't a major weak link.

Things I Like

Pretty much everything except some minor tweaking.

Things I have concerns about

Defensive presence on the 1st and 2nd lines and their ability to handle the top lines of other teams
Maxwell as a defenseman on the PP
Smaill on the PK

Very well constructed team, almost as airtight as your New Jersey Swamp Devils.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Pittsburgh Bankers

Harry Smith-Lorne Campbell-Haviland Routh
Oliver Seibert-Josef Golonka-Marian Gaborik
Nikolai Khystov-Jonathan Toews-Shorty Green
Veli-Pekka Ketola-Ivan Boldirev-Patrick Kane

Jack Campbell-James Stewart
Udo Kiessling-Fred Higginbotham
Brent Seabrook-Uwe Krupp

Tom Paton
Pelle Lindbergh

Spares:
F Kirk Maltby
D Zarley Zalapski

PP1
Harry Smith-Lorne Campbell-Marian Gaborik
Jack Campbell-

PP2
Oliver Seibert-Josef Golonka-Patrick Kane
- Paton is definitely one of the high-end starters available and Lindbergh is a very solid backup. No problems in net
- Jack Campbell could definitely go in the main draft.
- James Stewart is one of the big unknowns. He has his retro norris and was noted as being a rock defensively. It's not demonstrable that he belongs on a top pair, but given what we do know about him, I would certainly find him acceptable on a first pairing.
- While the top pairing is strong, I don't know what to think of the others. Kiessling is probably a good second-pairing defencemen. On one hand, Seabrook played well on his way to winning a cup, but on the other, he struggled at the Olympics. There needs to be more time to really evaluate where he should go, but a bottom pair role is okay. Krupp is a decent player (might be interesting to see the all-German pair of Kiessling and Krupp). I don't know a ton about Higginbotham, but I can't imagine there are any fans out there that wouldn't want a jersey with that epic of a last name on it, so regardless of what he does on the ice, he'll bring value in terms of merchandising
- Campbell is a tremendous "discovery". Routh was apparently a bad defensive player, but his offense compensates. Harry Smith has a very impressive offensive resume for his time as well. I think this is a very good first line.
- I like Gaborik, one of the most naturally talented players in the draft. Seibert is a bit of a question due to his competition, but his speed should complement Gaborik nicely. I like Golonka as a player, but I'm not sure if he's a great second liner.
- The third line has the makings of a good checking line with Toews and Green, but I can't find much of Khlystov. Would Maltby maybe be a better fit to make this a true checking line?
- The fourth line is kind of a problem. Boldirev put up nice numbers, but in context aren't overly impressive. I think Boldirev was unimpressive defensively. Kane is a horrible defensive player with really only one year of impressive offensive totals. Would be a great top-6 AAA player, but is a suspect on a 4th line. I can't find a ton on Ketola, but him seems above-average at least. Overall though, I think this line has the potential to get scored on more than it will score for.
- Don't know the exact makeup of the special teams, but it seems to me you may consider a forward on the point due to a lack of offensive defencemen.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Leafs Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
[Center]Regina Capitals

GM: Seventieslord
Coach: Viktor Tikhonov

Chris Drury (A) - Herb Jordan - Leo Labine
Slava Kozlov - Cal Gardner - Wally Hergesheimer
Jaroslav Jirik - Ted Hampson (A) - Bob MacMillan
Andre Boudrias (A) - Jason Arnott - Grant Warwick

Robyn Regehr - Wade Redden
Al Arbour (C) - Bryan McCabe
Larry Hillman - Hugh Bolton

Don Edwards
Billy Nicholson
I dunno if someone mentioned this already, but I think it's worth noting again if so- that's the third consecutive MLD where McCabe and Arbour have been paired together.

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:19 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
I dunno if someone mentioned this already, but I think it's worth noting again if so- that's the third consecutive MLD where McCabe and Arbour have been paired together.
Really? I was pretty sure your squad from last summer had them together, but I didn't know they were together in MLD10. I totally didn't plan it that way, either. I just took Arbour when I thought he was the BDA, then took McCabe as the best PPDA, and figured they were perfect even strength partners.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:13 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Thanks for the review. I'll just answer a couple of points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Offense

-Zabrodsky is one of the most talented players in the draft, and although the competition he played against wasn't great, he was still a very good player. This line fits together very well, Wiseman can distribute, Hextall brings toughness, and Zabrodsky the sniping goalscoring. I think Hextall is a bit of a weak link on this line. This line works very well. Only question might be its capabilities in their own zone, especially with Zabrodsky.
Hextall's definitely the weak link on the line, but I think he can handle it. He was 7th in Hart voting when he was only 19th in scoring (scoring 82 points), as he led the North Stars to the playoffs then followed it up by scoring 82 points again, this time good for 9th in the league. This was the early 70s, when most of the top scorers were concentrated on only a few teams (the Orr Bruins and the Canadiens in particular), so I think Hextall's scoring finishes are more impressive than they would appear on paper (as the handful of Hart votes he got that one year tend to indicate).

Anyway, we kind of reached to get Hextall in the 5th round based on talent, but I think he's the perfect fit to go next to Zabrodsky - a gritty, playmaking winger, a very rare commodity at this level.

Zabrodsky was a selfish goal scorer like Bobrov (in part because he was his team's best offensive option by far just like Bobrov). I'm sure he wasn't good defensively, but I have not read anything indicating he was awful, either. Anyway else know? His wingers aren't defensive aces, but they aren't liabilities either.

Quote:
-This line fits together pretty well also. Kerr brings multiple things to the table, Reibel looks to be the same way being able to score and pass, and Bertuzzi is an enigma. He can be a dominant player, or a lazy floater. There's a decent amount of grit on this line as well. Again, my only question is, how will this line be able to handle itself in their own zone?
I'm hoping that our coaching duo (arguably the best in the draft, as Tikhonov doesn't have an assistant) will be able to push Bertuzzi into being the "good Bert." Pilous was a very demanding coach and Robinson can play "good cop." Robinson is also a useful guy to have to help keep Bertuzzi's bad penalties down.

As for defense, Bert was a slight liability, but not so much that he needs an elite defensive center. He really just needs a guy as good defensively as Brendan Morrison to cover for him (I can mention that name, nobody is going to draft him, right?) There are definitely hints that Reibel is adequate for the task. Ted Lindsay called him an "unsung hero" and I found a quote from a guy who watched the 50s Red Wings that called Reibel a "glue guy." Also, the nature of the Production Line and its successors was that the center covered for Howe and Lindsay defensively when they went in hard after dumping the puck into corners. I think that reading between the lines, Reibel is adequate to prevent the line from being a liability.

Quote:
-Very good 3rd line. They won't provide all that much in terms of offense, but all 3 are very good in their own zone. I'm a Sutter fan myself because of his Flyers ties, and Preston provides good two-way ability.
Thanks. With our top lines all-offense, we needed a third line that could be the one to take all the defensive zone faceoffs.

Quote:
-Maxwell is indirectly implied to be a physical guy by being called a "speedy terror" but is there any direct indication of being a tough player? Sands is an effective player in multiple roles, and Crowder does a good job of rounding out the line. They can serve the role as a normal 4th line by playing physical, but can handle themselves in their own zone.
There is very little information on Maxwell. I interpreted "speedy terror" to just mean he skated really fast. He was a rover, which is like halfway between a forward and defenseman if you want to interpret that as meaning he is adequate defensively.

In a way, this is a line of special teams players, as teams sometimes use their 4th lines. They can certainly handle themselves at even strength though, as Sands and Crowder at least play fairly well at both sides of the ice
Quote:

Special Teams

-Good PP units in terms of forwards, but I somewhat question Maxwell's ability to be a PPQB.
Maxwell was a rover, and rovers have been used as defensemen at even strength before, so I think he can play the point on the PP. The way Scott Niedermayer played in Anaheim is the closest we've seen to a rover in recent years. (No, Maxwell is not as good as Niedermayer obviously). How good was he offensively? Who knows? But we do know that he was a fast skater and that he is one of a handful of early amateur players to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, so he has to have been pretty good, I think.

Quote:
-My only problem with the PK units is Smaill, I don't think he's ideal for PK but isn't a major weak link.
The quotes that 70s dug up on Smaill indicate that he played rough and that he "gave balance" to a team (whatever that means). I think he can play on a PK. I was thinking of putting Redmond here, but Smaill seemed like a better fit.

Quote:
Defensive presence on the 1st and 2nd lines and their ability to handle the top lines of other teams
Yup, the top lines are pretty much built to outscore the opponent. I don't think the 2nd line is a liability at all, as Bertuzzi's slight liability should be countered by Reibel's slight plus.

Zabrodsky? I'm not sure. Hopefully his line will have the puck on their sticks more often than not, playing with the grit of Hextall and the puck moving ability of Redmond or Olausson.

Regardless, the 3rd line is the one that will take defensive-zone draws. (Sutter was excellent at faceoffs). The 4th line is a decent 2nd option for defensive zone draws.

Quote:
Maxwell as a defenseman on the PP
Smaill on the PK
I think they can handle these roles on 2nd units, as I addressed above.

Quote:
Very well constructed team, almost as airtight as your New Jersey Swamp Devils.
Thanks. We'll obviously see what others think. The Swamp Devils were a pretty traditional ATD team, really. This one is obviously more experimental, basically being built around Zabrodsky.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:23 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Anyway, we kind of reached to get Hextall in the 5th round based on talent, but I think he's the perfect fit to go next to Zabrodsky - a gritty, playmaking winger, a very rare commodity at this level.
People will always reach to get Dennis Hextall, because gritty, playmaking LWs don't grow on trees. Heck, non-gritty playmaking LWs don't, either. In that respect, maybe Hextall isn't a reach. Positional scarcity does, to some degree, drive value.

Quote:
The quotes that 70s dug up on Smaill indicate that he played rough and that he "gave balance" to a team (whatever that means). I think he can play on a PK. I was thinking of putting Redmond here, but Smaill seemed like a better fit.
I think it probably means that he balances out the offensive star players. He was probably one of the best complementary players of the pre-merger era... a role player. For that reason, I have zero problem with him on a 2nd PP unit.

Old
07-10-2010, 10:21 PM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

Quote:

Kokudo Bunnies

Coach: Dwight McMillan

John Ogrodnick - Barry Pederson - Real Cloutier
Tony Tanti - Robbie Ftorek - Corey Perry
Fredrik Modin - Mike Richards- Cliff Koroll
Pete Horeck - Kelly Kisio - Darren McCarty
Martin Lapointe, Dallas Drake

Lee Fogolin Jr. -Jason Smith
Allan Shields - Doug Crossman
Frank "Coddy" Winters - Lyle Odelein
Garth Butcher

Vladimir Myshkin
Richard Brodeur
Review

First of all, I've seen 17 of these guys play during their careers. I'm getting old. And this team plays a modern style of game: a lot of skating up front, hitting and fighting ready to step in if called upon. As I'll argue further, Lapointe ought to start instead of McCarty given leadership, hard work and less hotheadedness. Drake and Butcher are ready for the rougher stuff when opposition teams are prepared to bring it.

If defense wins championships then the Kokudo team is built to win it all, certainly can protect a one-goal lead.

The Bunnies have an excellent third line. Modin brings size, mobility and some quality career peaks in clutch scoring; Richards brings leadership, hockey sense and hitting ability; Koroll a long history of two-way play and playoff experience. All three have thrived on scoring lines yet each brings intangibles and some brilliance in the biggest games.

The blueline sports a remarkably solid top-4. Fogolin, Jr. and Smith are both natural leaders, the former an experienced puck mover who captained the Oilers to their first ever Stanley Cup Finals appearance and was alternate captain on two cup winners, the latter entirely defensively oriented with size to handle the big boys and a decade of respectable captaincy. Shields-Crossman is stellar and may be the team's top pair in terms of top end play. The 1934 all-star dman known for his clean yet rugged play alongside the point producing big guy who twice scored in double digits on Stanley Cup runs and represented Canada's best in the 1987 Canada Cup (a bigger honour than any modern all-star game).

The goaltending should make opposing teams quake in their boots because the fact is both of these netminders have stunned the world with their ability to stand on their head and steal games. When they're hot they're scorching. King Richard is the WHA's 2nd all-time leader in career wins and backstopped a cup-winning team there, went on to be the Canucks three-time MVP but most notably carried the Canucks to the 1982 Stanley Cup Finals. He is playing backup here to Myshkin, who shut out the NHL's best in a 6-0 rout in the 1979 Challenge Cup, was tourney all-star goalie of the 1984 Canada Cup, really an ideal backup given he has demonstrated the ability to step in from that role and shine against the best when it matters most. If Myskin or Brodeur is hot, and odds should be near even that at least one of them will be on their game, then goaltending can be the difference for the Bunnies in any series.

The big issue with the Bunnies' top six forwards: there's one top-5 goals and two top-10 assists between them, run-of-the-mill scorers during high scoring eras, not renowned any of them for intangibles, likely to cough up the puck and be average at best on the backcheck, several risking being minus players at even strength against the top-end performers in this draft class. Ftorek and Cloutier bring WHA dominance and with Tanti lovin' open ice skating, this offense hints at greatness on bigger, faster ice surfaces, like they might get at home, and against lesser, slower teams.

Kisio is wasted on the 4th line and really ought to see more ice time, would certainly play both the PP and the PK and when protecting a lead. His fourth line wingers though aren't up to the task, Pistol Pete an extra skater at this level of competition and McCarty more a harm than anything, really brings less than a Lapointe or Drake to the back line. Suggested change: Dallas Drake-Kelly Kisio-Martin Lapointe would hit, check, score, be high energy, responsible and able to throw opponents off their game. Bench Horeck and McCarty and make this so.

Special teams is suspect with the lack of net presence up front. Will Modin be needed to screen the goalie and seek deflections and dump ins? Another reason Lapointe is needed in the starting line-up.

Give them room to skate and this team could light the lamp then shut you down. Coach McMillan will certainly encourage them to go flat out. But get the early lead against them, play them physical up front, take away the skating lanes, use physical dmen against their forwards anywhere within the vicinity of the net, and force the pp to take long shots unscreened, and before long the Bunnies will look harmless.

Last edited by VanIslander: 07-10-2010 at 11:24 PM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:48 PM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

As neither co-GM has completed the line-up as of yet, the following is one possible arrangement fo the fourth line, all picks assembled here, ready for someone to review the team:

St. Mary's Huskies

coaches Joel Quenneville & Father David Bauer

Gregg Sheppard - Mike Rogers - Bill Goldsworthy
Zach Parise - Andy Blair - Fred Whitcroft
Lorne Henning - Mike Ricci - Leroy Goldsworthy
Dave Schultz - Scott Gomez - Danny Grant
Alexei Zhamnov

Mattias Norstrom - Kenny Jonsson
Pekka Rautakallio - Dave Maloney
Garry Galley - Sylvain Lefebvre
Tex Evans

Olaf Kolzig
Cam Ward

Old
07-10-2010, 11:30 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
As neither co-GM has completed the line-up as of yet, the following is one possible arrangement fo the fourth line, all picks assembled here, ready for someone to review the team:

St. Mary's Huskies

coaches Joel Quenneville & Father David Bauer

Zach Parise - Andy Blair - Fred Whitcroft
Dave Schultz - Scott Gomez - Danny Grant
Alexei Zhamnov

Mattias Norstrom - Kenny Jonsson
Pekka Rautakallio - Dave Maloney
Tex Evans

Olaf Kolzig
Cam Ward

Our correct roster is posted on page 2.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:33 PM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Our correct roster is posted on page 2.
Can you get stalberg to update the Official Roster Thread post too?

Everyone should have an up-to-date roster thread post with a captain and two alternate captains.

Old
07-11-2010, 12:21 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

St. Mary's review Part 1

Have to rush out to see the World Cup game with a bunch of Spaniards. This is what I have done so far. I'll post part 2 by some point tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Ladies and Gentleman, Allow me to introduce your 2010

ST. MARYíS HUSKIES

COACH-Joel Quenneville
ASSISTANT COACH-Father David Bauer

Gregg Sheppard-Mike Rogers-Bill Goldsworthy (A)
Zach Parise-Andy Blair-Fred Whitcroft
Lorne Henning-Mike Ricci (A)-Leroy Goldsworthy
Danny Grant-Scott Gomez-Dave "The Hammer" Schultz

Kenny Jonsson-Mattias Norstrom (C)
Dave Maloney-Pekka Rautakallio
Gary Galley- Sylvian Lefebvre

Olaf Kolzig
Cam Ward

Spares:Alexei Zhamnov, Tex Evans

PP1: Whitcroft-Rogers-Goldsworthy
Jonsson-Rautakallio

PP2: Grant-Sheppard-Parise
Maloney-Galley

PK1: Ricci-Henning
Lefebvre-Norstrom

PK2: L Goldsworthy-Sheppard
Jonsson-Maloney

Mike Rogers is a good, not great, first line playmaker. He played in high-scoring era, so Iím more impressed by his 2 Top 10s in points than his 3 straight 100 point seasons. Heís small but feisty and can kill penalties if needed. Bill Goldworthy is one of the better snipers in this, a good playoff performer, and with a decent amount of grit. Sheppardís offense is below par for a first line, but he brings his defensive presence. Did Sheppard ever play LW or is he a converted center?

Blair was huge for his day and played very aggressive hockey. Decent scorer too. Iím not sure if Parise is ready for second line duty in this; I would prefer him as a 4th liner. But heís tenacious and has a great touch in front of the net. Whitcroft is the perfect compliment for any second line that wants more offense.

Overall, your top lines arenít as good offensively as a lot of other teams, but they are grittier and better defensively than most top lines.

Excellent 3rd line. 3 good defensive players, and Ricci brings grit and leadership in addition to a pretty good Selke record.

Danny Grant is a hard worker who can score goals. Heís slumming it on the 4th line, but I can see him fitting in. The Hammer can beat up anyone in the draft. Not sure what Scott Gomez is doing on a 4th line. Heís one of the fastest players in the draft, but could be a dog when not motivated. Will he be motivated playing on a 4th line with no PP time? I doubt it. Itís just a 4th line, but I really donít see it working. I see Gomez flying down the ice with the puck on his stick and turning the puck over in the offensive zone, while Schultz hasnít even skated past the red line yet.

Personally, I think Gomez is more talented than Blair, and Blair has a better skillset for a 4th line. Youíd have to move around more though, as I donít like the diminutive Parise as the only puckwinner for his line. (Parise and Gomez did have great chemistry for the short time they played together though).

Itís hard to know what to make of Jonssonís success in Sweden. He was solid, but nothing special in the NHL. But then thereís this: ďHe was voted Best Defender of the Tournament at the 2006 Winter Olympics where Sweden won the gold medal. This was quite surprising considering he had spent a season in the Swedish second division, while most of the other players played in the NHL.Ē I think he can handle himself just fine on a first pair. Norstrom was a good defensive defenseman, but again nothing special. He wonít be a liability, but Iíd prefer someone more talented on a top pairing.

Old
07-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Dreakmur

Line-up change for the Toronto Marlies.....

Al MacAdam [A] - Marc Savard - Stephane Richer
Red Hamill - "Doc" Romnes - Art Gagne
Jan Erixon - Brian Rolston - Cecil Blachford [C]
Carl Liscombe - Craig Conroy - Bobby Gould

Hy Buller - John van Boxmeer
Gord Fraser - Mario Marois [A]
Warren Godfrey - Dale Tallon

Evgeni Nabokov
Earl Robertson

MacAdam should help minimize the intangible issues with Savard. Also, Hamill, who has a questionable play-off history gets to play with Romnes, who has a very strong play-off record.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:14 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur
During his career, he won 5 Stanley Cups. His first, was with Montreal HC, as a member of the "little men of iron." He then captained the Montreal Wanderers to 3 consecutive Stanley Cup Championships in 1906, 1907, and 1908. He retired in 1909, during which time Montreal promptly lost the Cup. When he returned to play in 1910, he, once again, helped his team capture the holy grail. He then retired, and Montreal, again, lost the Cup, and never even came close to winning it again.
I know that in the challenge era it sounds silly, but 1903 does not count as a cup win despite the successful title defense. Montreal did not win the CAHL and therefore lost the right to keep the cup. It's one of three times that it happened.

Sounds silly, yes, but honestly, it's exactly what happens every season now. Pittsburgh didn't win their league this year so they didn't get to play for the cup; instead, it was the two teams who did win the league.

So it's not right to call 1903 a cup win for Blachford. Ottawa won it.

Old
07-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I know that in the challenge era it sounds silly, but 1903 does not count as a cup win despite the successful title defense. Montreal did not win the CAHL and therefore lost the right to keep the cup. It's one of three times that it happened.

Sounds silly, yes, but honestly, it's exactly what happens every season now. Pittsburgh didn't win their league this year so they didn't get to play for the cup; instead, it was the two teams who did win the league.

So it's not right to call 1903 a cup win for Blachford. Ottawa won it.
I've always just counted a year where they held the Cup at any time.

Old
07-11-2010, 06:46 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I've always just counted a year where they held the Cup at any time.
There's "gray area" or "personal preference" about it, there's a right and a wrong way, and Montreal are not in the record books as cup champions in 1903.

Old
07-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Just so you all know - I'm out of town until Thursday night

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
There's "gray area" or "personal preference" about it, there's a right and a wrong way, and Montreal are not in the record books as cup champions in 1903.
The won the Cup in 1902 and held it into 1903. They faced a challenge in 1903, and successfully defended the Cup. That is the same thing as winning the Cup in 1903.

Both the NHL and the Hockey Hall of Fame have them as a Cup Champion in 1903.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:33 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
The won the Cup in 1902 and held it into 1903. They faced a challenge in 1903, and successfully defended the Cup. That is the same thing as winning the Cup in 1903.

Both the NHL and the Hockey Hall of Fame have them as a Cup Champion in 1903.
My mistake, you are right. The Trail doesn't have it listed as a cup win for the players on that team.

Old
07-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
My mistake, you are right. The Trail doesn't have it listed as a cup win for the players on that team.
Make it up to me by doing an assassination on our team

Old
07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Have to rush out to see the World Cup game with a bunch of Spaniards. This is what I have done so far. I'll post part 2 by some point tomorrow.

Mike Rogers is a good, not great, first line playmaker. He played in high-scoring era, so Iím more impressed by his 2 Top 10s in points than his 3 straight 100 point seasons. Heís small but feisty and can kill penalties if needed. Bill Goldworthy is one of the better snipers in this, a good playoff performer, and with a decent amount of grit. Sheppardís offense is below par for a first line, but he brings his defensive presence. Did Sheppard ever play LW or is he a converted center?

Blair was huge for his day and played very aggressive hockey. Decent scorer too. Iím not sure if Parise is ready for second line duty in this; I would prefer him as a 4th liner. But heís tenacious and has a great touch in front of the net. Whitcroft is the perfect compliment for any second line that wants more offense.

Overall, your top lines arenít as good offensively as a lot of other teams, but they are grittier and better defensively than most top lines.

Excellent 3rd line. 3 good defensive players, and Ricci brings grit and leadership in addition to a pretty good Selke record.

Danny Grant is a hard worker who can score goals. Heís slumming it on the 4th line, but I can see him fitting in. The Hammer can beat up anyone in the draft. Not sure what Scott Gomez is doing on a 4th line. Heís one of the fastest players in the draft, but could be a dog when not motivated. Will he be motivated playing on a 4th line with no PP time? I doubt it. Itís just a 4th line, but I really donít see it working. I see Gomez flying down the ice with the puck on his stick and turning the puck over in the offensive zone, while Schultz hasnít even skated past the red line yet.

Personally, I think Gomez is more talented than Blair, and Blair has a better skillset for a 4th line. Youíd have to move around more though, as I donít like the diminutive Parise as the only puckwinner for his line. (Parise and Gomez did have great chemistry for the short time they played together though).

Itís hard to know what to make of Jonssonís success in Sweden. He was solid, but nothing special in the NHL. But then thereís this: ďHe was voted Best Defender of the Tournament at the 2006 Winter Olympics where Sweden won the gold medal. This was quite surprising considering he had spent a season in the Swedish second division, while most of the other players played in the NHL.Ē I think he can handle himself just fine on a first pair. Norstrom was a good defensive defenseman, but again nothing special. He wonít be a liability, but Iíd prefer someone more talented on a top pairing.

First of all I would like to thank you on taking the time to review our team, the insight is always welcomed and appreciated.

Regarding our 2nd line Stalberg and I have been back and forth with this line up:

Danny Grant - Scott Gomez - Fred Whitcroft
Dave Schultz - Andy Blair - Zach Parise
Alexei Zhamnov

Dave Maloney - Kenny Jonsson
Pekka Rautakallio - Mattias Norstrom
Tex Evans

In regards to our forwards, we feel this change would create great scoring balance amongst our team and we would have one of the most dangerous 4th lines in this thing.

What are your thoughts on these changes??

Old
07-12-2010, 12:54 PM
overpass

Scott Gomez is a really interesting player. He may be the best player I've ever seen since I started watching hockey in the late 1990s at carrying the puck through the neutral zone and gaining the offensive zone.

His ability to gain the offensive zone shows up in advanced stats - his teams consistently outshoot their opponents when he's on the ice, and his shifts end in offensive zone faceoffs more often than defensive zone faceoffs. Although his team doesn't get full value from that outshooting advantage, because he has the lowest shooting percentage of any long career forward.

TDMM may be correct that motivation and linemates would be a problem for him on a fourth line. Still, although he wouldn't be a traditional fourth line centre, you could do a lot worse than a fourth line centre who keeps the play in the offensive zone and ends his shift with an offensive zone faceoff for your first line to take.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:59 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
Scott Gomez is a really interesting player. He may be the best player I've ever seen since I started watching hockey in the late 1990s at carrying the puck through the neutral zone and gaining the offensive zone.

His ability to gain the offensive zone shows up in advanced stats - his teams consistently outshoot their opponents when he's on the ice, and his shifts end in offensive zone faceoffs more often than defensive zone faceoffs. Although his team doesn't get full value from that outshooting advantage, because he has the lowest shooting percentage of any long career forward.

TDMM may be correct that motivation and linemates would be a problem for him on a fourth line. Still, although he wouldn't be a traditional fourth line centre, you could do a lot worse than a fourth line centre who keeps the play in the offensive zone and ends his shift with an offensive zone faceoff for your first line to take.
I agree with your description of Gomez. As an aside, I actually don't think he's more than an above average passer. He's not really a "thread the needle" kind of guy. His gaudy assist totals are a combination of his outstanding ability to get the puck into the zone, combined with the fact that he's a terrible shooter.

Thing is, he is a major turnover and defensive liability when not motivated (and a minor turnover liability even when motivated). I think that's why Brian Burke left him off the US Olympic team - Burke figured that Gomez was a scoring line or bust player and they had better centers for the scoring lines in 2010.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:11 PM
markrander87

Very interesting Descriptions of Gomez. With all this being said, Being paired with two scorers (Grant and Whitcroft) would be the best move for our team. Once he gains the blueline he can dish off or dump the puck in and Grant and Whitcroft can do the majority of scoring.

Regarding his defensive play ...

Both quotes fromn LOH:

Quote:
A two-time member of the U.S. World Junior team in 1998 and 1999, the shifty forward scored 70 points for the Devils in 1999-00, played in the NHL All-Star game and was a key contributor when the team defeated the Dallas Stars to win the Stanley Cup. Following the season he was presented the Calder Trophy and voted to the NHL All-Rookie Team and has been one of the team's best two-way players ever since.
Regards to his playmaking, im not sure if this quote is a direct result of his assists totals or not, but it is telling.

Quote:
After finishing the 2002-03 regular season with a solid 55-point performance, Gomez helped lead the Devils to the franchise's third Stanley Cup title in nine years. With two Stanley Cups already to his credit, Gomez entered the 2003-04 season looking to take his game yet to another level. With the departure of Joe Nieuwendyk to free agency and the absence of team captain Scott Stevens, Gomez took on a leadership role and cemented himself as one of the go-to-players on the Devils and one of the premier playmakers in the NHL, finishing tied with Tampa Bay's Martin St. Louis with a league leading 56 assists.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:14 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
". Following the season he was presented the Calder Trophy and voted to the NHL All-Rookie Team and has been one of the team's best two-way players ever since."
Wow. LOH really says that? That's total bull - Gomez was one of the worst defensive players on the team; probably only Mogilny was worse (and Mogilny left after 2001...). Post-Mogilny, Gomez was constantly in Pat Burns' doghouse for missing his assignments.

Really makes me wonder if we can trust LOH's descriptions of older players, but I guess there is no better option.

I mean, the Devils were a team of two-way forwards, so I guess Gomez being the worst of the bunch probably made him average by NHL standards of scoring-line players.

Gomez is definitely good enough to be a 2nd liner in this. Is Danny Grant capable of being the puck winner for the line?