HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Devils and the Cap

Old
07-05-2010, 09:38 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
The way he played down the stretch and the playoffs not much at all, a mid to late round draft pick, seriously.
done and done.. how bout eminger+3rd?

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:41 PM
oPlaiD

What would it take to get Langenbrunner? He's the only guy I could realistically see the Blues targeting, and thinking about it more he'd probably be a great fit for this them.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
What would it take to get Langenbrunner?
Rolston.

And I'm not joking.

If I'm Lou, the asking price for Langenbrunner (an asset, as he remains productive and is cap friendly at $3 mil and coming off the books after next season) is Rolston's contract (the player is servicable but his deal is admittedly a dog at $5 mil per over the next two).

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
frankielax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
If we trade with St. Louis, we'd better be getting Pietrangelo. ^_^

**** Johnson.

Can you imagine a defensive core of:

Pietrangelo-Volchenkov
Greene-Tallinder
Rookie-White

Pretty sexual...
I would deal Petro, but Parise is the only guy on that roster I'd want back. I realize there is almost no chance he's moved, but the prospect of Parise in the Note would lead me to include almost any player on the Blues roster, plus 1 or 2 lesser pieces, in a deal.

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:06 PM
oPlaiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Rolston.

And I'm not joking.

If I'm Lou, the asking price for Langenbrunner (an asset, as he remains productive and is cap friendly at $3 mil and coming off the books after next season) is Rolston's contract (the player is servicable but his deal is admittedly a dog at $5 mil per over the next two).
That's a deal that would never happen. The only way a team agrees to something like that is if they are giving salary back, as well. The only teams with enough cap space to make something like that happen are teams that won't want to spend all that money, especially if they are locking themselves into a bad commitment for two years and not just one.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Quaz

I'm still waiting for Strickland to report that the Blues and Devils have not had any trade talks. That's usually what happens when Eklund reports on any Blues rumors. I'm not sure who the Blues would even make available for a "Big Deal". The only low salary asset that I could see them moving would be Berglund. It's possible they would deal Polak in a package that would return Salvador and a forward like Langenbruner.

There is no way they are trading EJ or Petro. Just like there is no way NJ would ever deal Parise.

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
That's a deal that would never happen. The only way a team agrees to something like that is if they are giving salary back, as well. The only teams with enough cap space to make something like that happen are teams that won't want to spend all that money, especially if they are locking themselves into a bad commitment for two years and not just one.
Didn't say it would happen. You asked a question. I answered it, honestly.

One respects that the Blues would like to add a nice servicable (and fairly priced) player like Langenbrunner. One also needs to respect NJD's motivation for any trade at the moment: opening cap space. Ideally lots of it. Not every team is always looking to add picks and prospects in every deal either; they ultimately cost money too.

I agree that moving Rolston's contract is going to be just short of impossible. But that is what Lou will have to set out to do before Sept. 1st, along with Salvador's.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:24 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

How can you mention salary cap woe trades, and not bring up
the Thrashers?

There were some trade rumblings from one of the better connected Thrashers blogs earlier this
morning. The Thrashers would be looking for a servicable Top 6ish winger.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

brian rolston can be had literally for free

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:27 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Rolston.

And I'm not joking.

So Lou would be asking a team to take on nearly 8 million in cap space, ~4 million of which is practically dead space?

Don't think that will happen, not in today's NHL. Maybe if it was only for one year, but not for two. Something like the Malakhov or Ehrhoff deals seem more likely, where a first comes along with Rolston or Langenbrunner (asset) + 1-2 million/year player is traded for a mid-round pick.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

a package of a 1st round pick, Langenbrunner, and Rolston will get MUCH more than a mid round pick....

Old
07-05-2010, 10:52 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
So Lou would be asking a team to take on nearly 8 million in cap space, ~4 million of which is practically dead space?

Don't think that will happen, not in today's NHL. Maybe if it was only for one year, but not for two. Something like the Malakhov or Ehrhoff deals seem more likely, where a first comes along with Rolston or Langenbrunner (asset) + 1-2 million/year player is traded for a mid-round pick.
Gomez was a 70pt. player with a $7.5M tag that got a good return.

Rolston is a 50pt. player with a $5M tag. He also plays the PP and PK. He's still a very useful player given good circumstances (Top-6 with a decent center). Nothing like Malakhov at all. Just redundant on the Devils and approx. $1-2M overpaid.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 10:55 PM
MountainGoat

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
How can you mention salary cap woe trades, and not bring up
the Thrashers?

There were some trade rumblings from one of the better connected Thrashers blogs earlier this
morning. The Thrashers would be looking for a servicable Top 6ish winger.
Langenbrunner for Bergforce

no but seriously, Langenbrunner + Rolston for a mid pick?

Old
07-05-2010, 10:58 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by None Shall Pass View Post

Rolston is a 50pt. player with a $5M tag. He also plays the PP and PK. He's still a very useful player given good circumstances (Top-6 with a decent center). Nothing like Malakhov at all. Just redundant on the Devils and approx. $1-2M overpaid.
Gomez is not the norm, in fact the trade was a rarity. Though I do think Rolston is much easier to move, still will be difficult.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
Quote:

Rolston is a 37 year old guy that hasn't been a 50pt guy for a few years. He makes $5M/year. It is a very bad contract. One that Devils have to sweeten the deal significantly to dump.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:05 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Gomez is not the norm, in fact the trade was a rarity. Though I do think Rolston is much easier to move, still will be difficult.
I don't think it was a rarity; players who are still pretty good though overpaid don't get moved often. True. But they're also not going for nothing either. Malakhov got moved with a pick because he was retired and we needed the cap space. San Jose took cap space with no player.

I don't mind seeing Rolston moved for beans if it helps us get Kovy but people saying he has negative value and we'd have to package him with a 1st, that's just silly. He can still play, is great 2-ways, and is good for 20-25 goals at worst. We won't get as good of a player back because of the salary cap, but we're not and shouldn't be adding a 1st or a good player with it.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:06 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Rolston is a 37 year old guy that hasn't been a 50pt guy for a few years. He makes $5M/year. It is a very bad contract. One that Devils have to sweeten the deal significantly to dump.
He can still score 20 goals and play big minutes on special teams. This isn't Jeff Finger we're talking about.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:07 PM
mrinsane

Zubrus to NY Isles for Bruno Gervais maybe

mrinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:08 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
He's also been playing 3rd line minutes with Rob Neidermeyer. And, again, plays the PK well. He's overpaid but let's not act like he's Drury or Campbell here.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
He can still score 20 goals and play big minutes on special teams. This isn't Jeff Finger we're talking about.
That's like saying herpes isn't chlamydia. Still a VD.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Zubrus is like the 5th or 6th option that will look to be traded. its not going to happen IMO

Old
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Olesz for Rolston

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MountainGoat

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinsane View Post
Zubrus to NY Isles for Bruno Gervais maybe
I don't think we're that desperate to move Zubby for nothing in return

I understand his contract isn't the greatest at 3.4M for a 40 point winger but he brings much more to the table, imo he's one of the best forecheckers in the league, he opens up alot of ice for his teammates

Old
07-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

Quote:
He's also been playing 3rd line minutes with Rob Neidermeyer. And, again, plays the PK well. He's overpaid but let's not act like he's Drury or Campbell here.
The major difference being that Rangers and Blackhawks don't need to move those contracts but Devils 100% have to if they sign Kovalchuk. That Chicago moved Buffy, Ladd and Versteeg over Campbell shows how hard it is to move bad contracts these days.

If Lou manages to pawn off that contract without giving up something significant, I'd be very surprised.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:15 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Scott Gomez $7.357M
JS Giguere $6M
Bryan McCabe $5.75M

If they can be moved I don't see why Rolston (a 20 goal guy and PP/PKer) and his $5M can't get moved.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote