HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Bovin - Resigns - as per team 990

Old
07-06-2010, 04:53 AM
onice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by should2 View Post
Only the anglophone community hates him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
You're right. Some won't be happy as long as there is one french name in the organization. Nice thread to put bigots on the injury list.
This is BS - typical of those that are prejudiced themselves and wanna accuse others of it. One can say I'm from the anglo (actually allo) community and I'm not the only one who respects what Boivin accomplished.

It's funny how it's always the same posters who keep seeing everything through the language issue. People are not permitted to dislike Boivin's work,and if they do it's because they hate the fact he's french Canadian.

Although I don't agree with either the conclusions or the proofs, I haven't read any poster who hates him because he was Quebecois. maybe you two should take a look in your closet and wonder what's lurking in there for you to make such idiotic statements.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 04:53 AM
NHLfan

Boivin

From a marketing standpoint, Boivin did a great job. From selling the franchise to Gillett and Molson, to all the ceremonies surrounding the 100th anniversary. The Gauthier hire was not a good move. Will Geoff Molson taking over, I expect Gauthier to go especially with the last moves. I would see, Vincent Damphousse or Claude Lemieux as GMs.

NHLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:01 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
Boivin interfered with Hockey operations, I don't want to get into the details for the sake of not getting into another debate, but I imagine you know what I'm talking about.
Sorry, I really don't know what you're talking about. Stop with the innuendos. Either state how Boivin interfered with hockey operations or forever hold your peace.

Oh and by the way Him declaring that the coach needs to be bilingual was not interfering with the team. I don't agree with the players needing to speak French but I think the coach & the GM should. Can you imagine the reaction in New York or T.O. or L.A. if management hired a uni-lingual Russian coach & GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post

i'd like to believe that molson is stepping in to protect the investment and begin to broaden the hockey operations department; and change the culture of winning (or should i say losing / mediocrity) and the linguistic philosophy of the team. yes, the francophone base is essential, yes the cultural fabric of the canadiens has an intense and significant french presence, but it is ultimately about winning and imo boivin was all about selling and about protecting his good name to the three over 55 francophone journalists that write about the habs.
What makes you think Boivin was the sole voice in choosing Gauthier? You really think Molson had no say in the matter?

Old
07-06-2010, 05:50 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

It would usually be a red flag to see an owner put himself so close to the hockey operations. But in this case, given that Gainey and Gauthier seem fully prepared to run the franchise into the ground, on the surface it looks good that a control is put in place.

If I am Molson I certainly don't waste any time engaging an Executive search firm to quietly get me a qualified GM, with an eye to sacking Gauthier and Timmins at a minimum, and severing the infliuence of Gainey.

Next year will be critical as I think the team will get it's best draft position since 2005. And it can't have a GM that's traded that pick away for a Tanguay calibre rental or put the pick into the player personnel director that's given us picks such as Fischer, McDonagh, Chipchura and Kostitsyn. The team needs better and it starts by making it better at the top.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:55 AM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Why is everyone happy? He doesn't affect the on-ice product.
He choose Gauthier.. same old same old like Gainey.

I hope it will become a new start, new GM, new coach... I envy the Bolts with the Yzerman / Boucher tandem. Yes they are rookies but I can tell you the Lightning will improve a lot, unlike the Habs.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:59 AM
David_99

Cost cutting. That is all. Happens all the time.

Why pay someone a generous salary when he could do the job himself?

Just as long as the cost cutting stays off the ice...

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan View Post
From a marketing standpoint, Boivin did a great job. From selling the franchise to Gillett and Molson, to all the ceremonies surrounding the 100th anniversary. The Gauthier hire was not a good move. Will Geoff Molson taking over, I expect Gauthier to go especially with the last moves. I would see, Vincent Damphousse or Claude Lemieux as GMs.
Fail. You want a top 5 pick?

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by expos4ever View Post
That's an extremely naive perspective - the reality in any large business is that the President sets the philosophies, culture, and operating standards that flows down through the people he hires to manage and execute day-to-day - in the NHL this typically includes BOTH the business/marketing side AND the Hockey Ops side.

Do you honestly think the President of Molson-Coors Brewery is out buying hops, or designing beer labels to earn his multi-million dollar annual salary??

Or maybe you're still in high school and don't know about such things?? If so, I apologize for picking on you...
I don't recall saying that the President of Molson-Coors does anything. I said the President of the Montreal Canadiens.

I am sure Boivin is consulted, but Gainey, Gauthier and he all claimed up and down that the hockey operations was totally under the hand of the GM. I choose to take them at their word on that.

In years past, Presidents also set budgets, but that's largely irrelevant as long as we remain a cap team. Boivin's work ensured that the Habs had the resources to do that.

Be as condescending about it as you like, but your example is completely non-comparable.

It's better to think of them as a science company with a non-technical owner. A good owner looks at profits, marketing and things that got him in a position to own the company. He doesn't tell the scientists to use more HCL.

Do bad owners exist? Sure. Do bad Presidents exist? Sure.

From all indications we had a pretty good President who stayed out of the way of the GM.

My fear is that now we're about to get one who is both owner and President and feels no such restrictions.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:47 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Instead of responding to every message individually I'll just put all my thoughts down here.

Ok, let me start by clearing something up. I don't dislike or hate Boivin. I have no idea where some people are getting this "all kinds of hate for Boivin" crap because I don't see anyone hating him in this thread.

Boivin did a good job and was exactly what the franchise needed at the time he took over. He made the team profitable and relevant again in the Montreal community. He brought in a whole new generation of young fans and he was very successful in this way.

My issue has nothing to do with on-ice product either. I don't quite understand why some people seem to think this is what it's all about. I'm well aware that he wasn't there to make signings or trades. Honestly, I sometimes wonder if people actually bother reading posts before responding.

My issue, as I will re-interate for the THIRD time, has to do with the organizational culture of this franchise today. This always trickles down from the president of ANY corporation. It doesn't matter if this is hockey, it's something that you see EVERYWHERE.

The president is the guy who sets the organizational culture. If the president tolerates something, it means it is accepted everywhere in the organization. It always trickles down.

My big issue with Boivin has to do with the drop in professionalism in many areas of the franchise and media issues. I will be the first to aknowledge that under his reign, he vastly increased the exposure and stregth of the Habs brand. But I feel he did so at the expense of professionalism.

The team is covered in the media the way tabloids cover celebrities. Rumours, innuendo, "secret sources", paparazzi...Is it his fault the media acts this way? No! But did he do anything to stop it? Of course not! This is what keeps a HUGE chunk of the fanbase interested. People eat this stuff up and he knows it.

Year after year I've sat by and seen non-stop controversies and completely ridiculous media blow ups that in the end, reflect badly on the organization, the fanbase and the city. We've become a joke in the NHL in this respect. It's gotten to a point where I really feel it affects the on-ice product and keeps players from wanting to be here.

Saku Koivu not speaking french...Kovalev's secret Russian interviews...Hossa's gloves...Boivin would never put a stop to this because it always meant the Habs were on the front page of every newspaper.

Could he have stopped it? Of course! All it would take is revoking of press priviledges from a Bert Raymond or Rejean Tremblay. There are over 10x the amount of people covering the Habs than any other team save Toronto. And there are many teams in the NHL today that limit press access in an effort to keep the focus on hockey and hockey alone (New Jersey comes to mind).

Back to my issue of of a lack of professionalism, I'm going to bring up my Latendresse example from before. The guy slept in and almost missed a game. Fine, fair enough. I suppose that could happen to anyone. But it ENRAGES me that this actually got out in the public. A big gaffe like this is EMBARASSING. It reflects badly on the team and the management staff and makes them look like a bunch of idiots who can't even bother to supply the team with wake up service. It really bugs me that Latendresse felt it was perfectly fine to walk up to a dozen cameras and tell the story about he almost slept through the game, with a big smile on his face. It's not funny, it's really poor professionalism. And I don't blame Latendresse for feeling that it was appropriate to talk about, because ultimately, this sort of acceptance flows down from the top.

Boivin allowed all kinds of media ridiculousness throughout his tenure, so why should the players feel that anything is off limits when the cameras are pointed at them? Scandals seem to be the standard for this franchise, so what Latendresse did, even if it reflects badly on everyone, was perfectly ok from an organizational culture point of view.

Of course, some poor pathetic losers are going to make this into a language issue, and you know what? That's ok. Go ahead. I've come to understand that there are certain people in this province who will ALWAYS play the victim card. So for them, here is your martyr.

Will Molson be any different? I DON'T KNOW. But I don't see why we can't be optimistic either.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Hugo Sham

interesting raymond kind of takes a shot at boivin at the end of this article, implying molson will make sure there are more french-Canadian
players on the habs

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/302045.html

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Why is everyone happy? He doesn't affect the on-ice product.
He's the guy behind the "must be french!" thing. I'm hoping the Molsons choose the best person available for their staff, regardless of the language they speak.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
What makes you think Boivin was the sole voice in choosing Gauthier? You really think Molson had no say in the matter?
yes actually i do think it was 99.9% his choosing gauthier. i can't find the article right now, but when he was asked, he was irritated and dismisive of the question. his answer implied that the sale was still in transition and the board (not molson by name) was aware of his decision. boivin stated he was happy it was gauthier because of the familiarity and smooth transition. nothing about gauthier being a great hockey mind or anything else...zilch...only cronyism imo

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
It would usually be a red flag to see an owner put himself so close to the hockey operations. But in this case, given that Gainey and Gauthier seem fully prepared to run the franchise into the ground, on the surface it looks good that a control is put in place.

If I am Molson I certainly don't waste any time engaging an Executive search firm to quietly get me a qualified GM, with an eye to sacking Gauthier and Timmins at a minimum, and severing the infliuence of Gainey.

Next year will be critical as I think the team will get it's best draft position since 2005. And it can't have a GM that's traded that pick away for a Tanguay calibre rental or put the pick into the player personnel director that's given us picks such as Fischer, McDonagh, Chipchura and Kostitsyn. The team needs better and it starts by making it better at the top.
QFFR

Another all-you-can-eat buffet of crow next year?

You're not astute, you're obtuse through and through.

You are painting an entirely pessimistic picture, you're at one end of the spectrum, while most here will agree that there are some issues to fix, it's not even close to the pseudo-reality you are painting.

This year, I've been wrong about one thing, Boucher, for the rest, I was bang on (Habs being much better with Markov in the lineup when he came back, Subban being more than NHL-ready, the Habs surprising a lot of people in the playoffs, Gionta and Cammy going 40 goals pace, Plekanec re-signing here, Gill being more than useful in the playoffs). THAT's being astute. Because I saw those things when the common belief was the opposite, I ended-up right.

Don't call youself astute until reality proves you right, because in the meantime, it really makes you look like an ego-driven ignorant. The gall to call yourself astute, when nothing you said is provable, and using blatant exagerations and half-truths, half-lies.

So... what was your previous nick?

I have a huge repository of quotes by people just like you from the the last season. BIG pompous quotes that scream "I know the truth" and end-up being so ridiculous. Come on, tell me your old nick, I wanna see just how astute you really are.

EDIT... Wow, Earl The Habs fan... and you call yourself astute

You practicing your stand-up gig for the Just for Laughs festival???

Last edited by Ozymandias: 07-06-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
QFFR

You are painting an entirely pessimistic picture, you're at one end of the spectrum, while most here will agree that there are some issues to fix, it's not even close to the pseudo-reality you are painting.

This year, I've been wrong about one thing, Boucher, for the rest, I was bang on (Habs being much better with Markov in the lineup when he came back, Subban being more than NHL-ready, the Habs surprising a lot of people in the playoffs, Gionta and Cammy going 40 goals pace, Plekanec re-signing here, Gill being more than useful in the playoffs). THAT's being astute. Because I saw those things when the common belief was the opposite, I ended-up right.

Don't call youself astute until reality proves you right, because in the meantime, it really makes you look like an ego-driven ignorant. The gall to call yourself astute, when nothing you said is provable, and using blatant exagerations and half-truths, half-lies.

I have a huge repository of quotes by people just like you from the the last season. BIG pompous quotes that scream "I know the truth" and end-up being so ridiculous. Come on, tell me your old nick, I wanna see just how astute you really are.
He's Earl the Halak fan, he changed his name. I don't think I can take someone seriously who is hoping that a particular player on a team fails. To me that screams that someone has personal issues and it no longer because a sports passion, but something really creapy. It's sad how a hockey game/hockey team can affect someone's life that it can stir up such emotions.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:34 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
QFFR

EDIT... Wow, Earl The Habs fan... and you call yourself astute

You practicing your stand-up gig for the Just for Laughs festival???
Wow

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Instead of responding to every message individually I'll just put all my thoughts down here.
I'll just say a couple of things. I TOTALLY AGREE and I've also hoped that one day, we'd have less and less media present in the room and in the Habs entourage then what we're seeing it. No need for 4 membres of the same newspaper and so on. So I'll agree that it would be the ideal way of at least trying to diminuish what this frekin circus has become but then....I don't see it happening. And especially not with a guy like Molson on board. LIke I said before, he also does seem to be really aware of what's going and seems to want to answer some of the media critics. If he already did it, he'll do it again. Clearly not to everything, but probably to the most crucial ones.

Now I think you overestimate the power of the Habs president. I mean, I'm not sure I'd hear, from the president of any company, that the guys below me have CARTE BLANCHE....which is something Boivin said. Of course, you probably never have carte blanche, still we didn't see or hear about a lot of things that Boivin would have put his veto on.

The only language issue I will speak (not because you did, but because I want to prove my point...), the guy that some posters here said was the reason why the french issue is actually one, Boivin keep defending Gainey, Timmins and Co about the lack of french players and prospects. Don't know if people remember but Boivin was freakin pissed when his organization was accused of neglecting french players. So if there was one thing Boivin should have been against how Gainey and Co were doing their business, it would be that subject and he's never defended a subject as much as that one. The guy was the Pres. If he has that much power, why the heck did we have so few of those in our lineup lately?

I have to disagree on some of the examples you gave to explain how Boivin failed his role. I can't agree on the Latendresse thing. At one point, we heard that it was somewhat common that things like that happen. The ones that hated Latendresse used that against him. The ones that didn't mind him didn't think it was that big of a deal. Don't understand how a pres, a guy who clearly leaves the hockey part of this organization to Gainey and Co, could have provided something like that. And yet, how about us not having the maturity to take a news and not make it that big of a deal. Is Boivin responsible for the media and fans stupidity?

If anything, I'd blame Boivin for that famous Carte Blanche. And by that, I don't mean Boivin having a say to if that trade is good or not but it will eventually comes back a little to what you were saying, organization culture but not in the same way.

Examples: I will not understand one bit why a guy like Timmins isn't allowed to come to a show to explain his views and STOP or at least moderate, the incredible bashing he's been having for the past 7 freakin years. Why the heck would an organization tolerate to be ridiculized that much is beyond me. If I'm Boivin and see that most of my players have a problem with the GM and/or the coach about the communication and that it affects the way my team is playing, if I'm the Pres and see that my GM doesn't do a thing about it, I'll address it to him.

In the end, people should realize that this is just not a hockey market. It's a hockey/specatacle/12 months a year business that is often played more off the ice than on. And to me, there's not a single president that will be able to change it.
The only great news for them lately is the death of 2 night shows that might cool down the fans opinions a little. But when you have a radio station who almost exclusively talks about hockey and Habs, why do you think there's so many extra curricular things going on? They have to fill the space. And I don't believe Molson will change anything. If something, he'll try to appease things. And some people might actually dislike it more....

Now the retirement of Raymond, Tremblay and Villeneuve might do the trick. Yet, you'll have the Flynn and Therrien and the ones after that. The day we stop believing everything those guys say, the day the power will shift. We're so not there yet....We deserve the media we have. The Habs, by never responding, also deserve it.

You'd wish they shut the door. I'd wish they open it more and blast those suckers. If they'd be more proactive than reactive, they wouldn't let the media and fans have the advantage over any subject. As it is now, everybody is bashing the Habs 'cause at this point, the Habs are a vague conception of humans running a team. They are not afraid of blasting them 'cause chances are they won't hear from them. Do you seriously believe those medias would be blasting Timmins as much if he'd be making some kinds of appearance once in a while? Do you those media would be blasting a guy like Brian Burke if they knew he could call at one point and demonstrate them how dumb they really are? Who in that journalistic world can handle a discussion about the draft if they end up having Timmins in front of them (and you know I'm not that great Trevor lover some are in this board). Most journalists aside from a couple are dumb and can play dumb 'cause there's no interaction. And when they are it's with people just as dumb. When dumb talks to dumber, they look intelligent.

Anyway, I agree and disagree. Totally understand what you're saying, but my idea is just at a different kind of level. My biggest wish is to shut some of those stupid media. I often hear an ex-coach we all love and adore say sometimes "C'est-tu moi qui est fou"?.....I can't wait till somebody answer YES to him.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:47 AM
AH

Boivin did a great job administratively. Overseeing two sales and overhauling the entire business side was a tremendous effort.

However, his limited hockey knowledge really hurt the team on the ice. He should have fired Rejean Houle the minute he took over. But he didn't. Instead he waited and then had to name an interim, who then quit to make way for Bob. All of a sudden, the rebuild was delayed four years.

I am not so concerned with the hiring policies. It was more for public consumption than anything. If you look at it, his main GM hire was an anglophone (who could speak broken French). That GM's first AHL hire was unilingual anglophone (Lever).

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:13 PM
SoundsGood

Great job Boivin.

The question we can now ask is, how much time does PG have?

SoundsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:17 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Back to my issue of of a lack of professionalism, I'm going to bring up my Latendresse example from before. The guy slept in and almost missed a game. Fine, fair enough. I suppose that could happen to anyone. But it ENRAGES me that this actually got out in the public. A big gaffe like this is EMBARASSING. It reflects badly on the team and the management staff and makes them look like a bunch of idiots who can't even bother to supply the team with wake up service. It really bugs me that Latendresse felt it was perfectly fine to walk up to a dozen cameras and tell the story about he almost slept through the game, with a big smile on his face. It's not funny, it's really poor professionalism. And I don't blame Latendresse for feeling that it was appropriate to talk about, because ultimately, this sort of acceptance flows down from the top.

Funny you should bring up the Latendresse example. If I remember correctly he was shipped out a couple of weeks later. Does that not reflect on Boivin and maybe he was looking for the same professionalism you mention.

You forget to what depths the Habs had fallen when Boivin took over and incidentally if I remember correctly it was under the Molsons - a different set of Molsons. So Boivin had to rebuild and restructure the franchise from the mess left over by the Molson company. At the same time he had to do it without stepping on the toes of the morons in the press - morons like Tremblay & Raymond.

I think Boivin accomplished alotta good things for the franchise. He just hept his faith in Gainey for a tad too long. If I had to give Boivin a failing mark on anything it would be in that department. He stuck too long with Gainey & when Bob left he went with Gainey's clone.