HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers 10/11 season a lottery finish?

Old
07-06-2010, 08:52 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
UHHHH....minus Booth getting a massive concussion, a defenseman (won't be Ballard) nearly taking Vokoun's head off in frustration at a bad play, and the coach not being able to come up with any solutions to a lack of offense while Vokoun plays some of the best hockey of his life. Right? You don't want to see another year QUITE like the last one, right?
I was referring to the standings, of course. Having said that, it's undeniable that last year was rather memorable. The Panthers certainly provided us with lots of fodder for discussion. Well, maybe not so much fodder as what comes out of the other end.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
I think it is stupid to say we are going to tank next season. I understand that it would be awesome to get a high draft pick for rebuilding but c'mon. This organization and the coaching staff are not going to go out of their way to lose games and I'm sure the players are not going to want to lose. I thought one of the things Tallon wants to hit home is a winning attitude right? If we can avoid serious injuries to key players and develop a great chemistry on the team we might be better than you think.
Who said anything about the coaches and players trying to lose games? I'm sure they won't. As it stands right now though, we won't have to try very hard to lose games. Tallon does want to instill a winning attitude, but he also said that he's not going to hand out ridiculous contracts that will potentially handicap this team's progress in the future. Cheap 1 year deals to guys like Higgins make sense, because if he doesn't work out then he's not on the books after this season. It's a smart move for a rebuilding team, rather than signing an OK 2nd line center like Lombardi to a long term lucrative contract that might really restrict what we can do with the roster down the road when we are actually in a position to ice a very competitive team.

Plus, GR and Andy Strickland have already said the payroll is going to be very low this season, so there's only so much Tallon can do anyway.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:07 PM
KW

We may finish the same, or worse, but I think in a much more entertaining fashion. I actually look forward to losing in style versus losing while lazy. So like ATF, count me as one STH who's ok to wait another year.

Why can I wait now but couldn't wait before? Because of the same reason the stock market goes up when people have confidence in the economy. Obviously today, people have zero confidence in the market and the government, and it shows in the erratic economic behavior that drives everyone nuts. However, I don't feel that kind of anxiety about the Panthers with Tallon in the house. I sense that several players league wide, who are available, will be competing or at least hoping somehow to get onto Tallon's team.

I think Horton gave up at the wrong time. I'll miss his shoot out goals, but won't miss the 20 second wrister wind ups.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
FinlandPanther

as a STHer i can wait again for one more season as well. i really want larsson but couturier fits the teams need for a #1 center. could you imagine a larsson kulikov and gudbranson defense with markstrom in net?! im on the fence with either one i just want one of them because this team needs a franchise player.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDoggFL View Post
Was the team any further from eighth at the deadline than the year prior, when they missed out by a tiebreaker?
No, but the East was really weak last year.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:42 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
No, but the East was really weak last year.
Last year's off-season was full of people crying about the rest of the league getting better and us staying put. Every team gets better after every year, except us, of course.

I'm not saying we'll make the playoffs. I just don't see us as a lock for dead last like others seem to expect.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:44 AM
MickOlax

Quote:
Last year's off-season was full of people crying about the rest of the league getting better and us staying put. Every team gets better after every year, except us, of course.

I'm not saying we'll make the playoffs. I just don't see us as a lock for dead last like others seem to expect.
You're right. And it's funny that after every summer everyone says that same excact thing: "Look how much better (Tampa, Atlanta...) gotten." Yet look at those team every season. Teams like Tampa, Atlanta and Carolina haven't actually gotten any better than they were few years back. If other teams really are getting so much better than us every offseason, why aren't they so much higher than us in the standings? I mean, with that rate of improvement they should all be cup contenders while we should finish 30th every year.

-L-

MickOlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:49 AM
MickOlax

And by the way, how many Yotes or Avs fans did you think believed that they would be in the playoffs?

I still remember the thread in Avalanche forums after Sacco was signed and all they did was talk about lotery picks and tanking. Yet look where they are now.

I wasn't reading any threads in the Coyotes forums, but I bet that there weren't many who believed that they would have the slightest chance to get in the playoffs. Not to mention finish 4th in the West.

I'm just saying, based on all this belief in tanking and lottery picks, you guys could be up for a surprise next season.

-L-

MickOlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:18 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Who said anything about the coaches and players trying to lose games? I'm sure they won't. As it stands right now though, we won't have to try very hard to lose games. Tallon does want to instill a winning attitude, but he also said that he's not going to hand out ridiculous contracts that will potentially handicap this team's progress in the future. Cheap 1 year deals to guys like Higgins make sense, because if he doesn't work out then he's not on the books after this season. It's a smart move for a rebuilding team, rather than signing an OK 2nd line center like Lombardi to a long term lucrative contract that might really restrict what we can do with the roster down the road when we are actually in a position to ice a very competitive team.

Plus, GR and Andy Strickland have already said the payroll is going to be very low this season, so there's only so much Tallon can do anyway.
It just seems like a few posters have this idea that the team can tank if they want to so that we can get a number one pick. Which is absurd of course. It is also way to early to be calling picks and place in the standings at this point. Hell, we could just as easily finish 7th as 15th, who knows?? I agree with you on the contract situation, one year deals are smart right now. No need to sign any average players for 3-5 years OR over-pay for an above average player.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:23 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:

Thats exactly how I feel. In fact THAT should be the Panthers slogan this season.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Thats exactly how I feel. In fact THAT should be the Panthers slogan this season.
BUY YOUR SEASON TICKETS NOW FOR THE FLORIDA PANTHERS 2010-2011 SEASON! "WE'RE NOT DEAD LAST ANYMORE!!!!"

::GROOOOWWLLLLLLL::

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote