HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vladimir Tarasenko ready to come to America

Old
07-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schronote View Post
Top 6:
Brew
Jax
Ej
Polak
Cola
Petro

Nikitin will have to beat out Petro, Strachan, and Cole. I really don't see that happening. I feel pretty strongly that Petro will force coaches to keep him. Camp is still a long way away but I know Petro is in St. Louis as is Cole I believe doing everything in their power to make the big club. I don't see Nikitin making it.
Yeah, I don't expect Nikitin to make the team. I guess I was referring more to an established NHL player. One who knows the city, can help him with bills, driving, shopping. Just the normal stuff.

And yes, Pietrangelo has been in STL all summer working his butt off. It's going to be really tough for the team to not give him a spot assuming he doesn't fall flat on his face at camp (which I doubt). Which is why I don't think the Blues will re-sign Weaver.

Last edited by Overkamp: 07-07-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:26 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
So build it into his bonuses
I don't think you can build a bonus into an ELC for that purpose. I will double check the CBA when I get home from work tonight just to be sure. Now they could build a schedule two bonus into his contract that would be rediculously easy to obtain to sort of pay him back but it won't be immediate. I have no info on his contract in Russia so who even knows if his signing bonus on an ELC(I think that is approximately 150k) would recoup his buyout amount he would have to pay out of his own pocket.

I really do appreciate his attitude of wanting to play for us as soon as possible. But I would like to see all sides invovled in this handle this situation by the rules and no one burning any bridges.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by schronote View Post
Nikitin will have to beat out Petro, Strachan, and Cole. I really don't see that happening. I feel pretty strongly that Petro will force coaches to keep him. Camp is still a long way away but I know Petro is in St. Louis as is Cole I believe doing everything in their power to make the big club. I don't see Nikitin making it.
Understood, but I'll say this again... there's no reason for the Blues to bring Nikitin over here after six years in the RSL/KHL -- and no reason for him to come over here -- unless there's a general consensus among the hockey operations folks that he's at or very near NHL-readiness.

Strachan is the only one of those three players who has anything close to the amount of experience Nikitin has playing against veterans, grown men, at a very high competitive level. Pietrangelo was playing against 16-year-olds in the OHL, and Cole was playing against adult college players who are, on the average, less skilled than the top junior players.

Nikitin has been playing, and playing well, for six years against guys like Jagr, Yashin, and other top European players at or near their prime.

Understood that Pietrangelo and Cole were first-round picks, and that they're going to have long and frutiful NHL careers barring an injury or a complete misreading of their skill level by the scouting staff... but the only explanation that makes any sense for Nikitin's coming to North America, is that the Blues' hockey minds feel he's ready to come in and win an NHL job now.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:13 PM
sh724

I would image that Halak can speak Russian, I used to have Bosnian neighbors and their 5 yr old could speak English, German, Russian, and Bosnian, so chances are Halak can speak Russian or atleast know enough to communicate with Tarasenko. But with Halak being new to STL he will only be able to help him with the hockey aspect o f things and not the city. The Blues will probably bring some in to help him, maybe not a player but possibly a lower coaching staff member or front office person.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:33 PM
schronote

I was under the impression that Armstrong can speak multiple languages, I dont remember where I read/heard that.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

What about Sobotka? That's why i thought we traded for him. He is new to STL too but I think it would be a lot easier for tarasenko to learn his way around with him than by himself. I also feel like Tkachuck's house wouldn't be a bad place for him to stay. Future HOFer, Loves STL and STL loves him. And I'm sure he would love to stay around hockey and be like a mentor/coach type of thing.

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:56 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
So build it into his bonuses
I'm pretty sure that's against the CBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMan View Post
What about Sobotka? That's why i thought we traded for him. He is new to STL too but I think it would be a lot easier for tarasenko to learn his way around with him than by himself. I also feel like Tkachuck's house wouldn't be a bad place for him to stay. Future HOFer, Loves STL and STL loves him. And I'm sure he would love to stay around hockey and be like a mentor/coach type of thing.
Sobotka is Czech, not Russian.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:24 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
Sobotka is Czech, not Russian.
ohh I see. Well now I feel dumb lol

Old
07-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergMan View Post
ohh I see. Well now I feel dumb lol
Not so "dumb". A Russian certainly might feel a little more at home with a fellow Eastern European. And, traditionally, the Czechs did all learn Russian (at least until the early 1990s, when they became free of the Soviet yoke. Nowadays, most Czechs probably rather learn English.

Maybe Nikitin will be a more likely choice? The Blues wouldn't have tried to bring him over now if he weren't ready to play in The NHL.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Not so "dumb". A Russian certainly might feel a little more at home with a fellow Eastern European. And, traditionally, the Czechs did all learn Russian (at least until the early 1990s, when they became free of the Soviet yoke. Nowadays, most Czechs probably rather learn English.

Maybe Nikitin will be a more likely choice? The Blues wouldn't have tried to bring him over now if he weren't ready to play in The NHL.
It could also be to see what we have and give him a shot in the NHL. I think we'll know sometime in training camp if Sobo or Nikitin have a shot at making the club.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:04 PM
schronote

So is tomorrow the day we hear what Tarasenko's plans are? I hope he can come over, that would be a nice way to fill our 3rd line.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Understood, but I'll say this again... there's no reason for the Blues to bring Nikitin over here after six years in the RSL/KHL -- and no reason for him to come over here -- unless there's a general consensus among the hockey operations folks that he's at or very near NHL-readiness..
Nikitin is leaving for St. Louis because he didn't like contract $$$ Avangard offered him.

There's no reason for Blues not to give him a chance....he's a prospect willing to leave for NA and has no KHL strings attached.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Nikitin is leaving for St. Louis because he didn't like contract $$$ Avangard offered him.
And your support for this assertion is?

I don't see this as being out of the realm of possibility, but I'd like something a little more concrete than just your say-so...

Quote:
There's no reason for Blues not to give him a chance... he's a prospect willing to leave for NA and has no KHL strings attached.
And so if he gets his chance, and ends up being assigned to Peoria, what do you see is the likelihood of him staying there vs. going back to Mother Russia?

Old
07-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
And your support for this assertion is?

I don't see this as being out of the realm of possibility, but I'd like something a little more concrete than just your say-so...

And so if he gets his chance, and ends up being assigned to Peoria, what do you see is the likelihood of him staying there vs. going back to Mother Russia?

http://news.sport-express.ru/2010-06-16/368469/

Old
07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Robb_K

Well, it's been July 12th for many hours in Russia, already, and no word about Tarasenko not needing to fulfill his KHL contract obligations for this season. It looks to me like he'll come here next season, at the earliest (assuming he uses the 2nd year buyout option).

If he were able to get out of his obligation, he would not have reported to his team's camp. That would have been big news. Anyone heard anything?

Old
07-12-2010, 05:45 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 50
Quote:
anything in English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo Babelfish
24- summer defender Nikita Nikitin, for the elongation of entire professional career appeared for " [Avangard]" , it will break through into the basic composition of " Saint -[Luisa]" through the training camp. Yesterday the President of " [Blyuzmenov]" John [Devidson] declared about the signing of contract with the hockey player, who was [zadraftovan] in the 5th round of 6 years ago. Period of the agreement of Nikitin from " [Avangardom]" it elapses this summer. If Russian is not opened into the main command of " Saint -[Luisa]" , it can win back season -2010/11 in [AKHL] or to return to Russia and to conclude contract in [KKHL]. According to the information of " [SE]" , one of the main reasons, which incline Nikitin to the withdrawal from " [Avangarda]" , appears serious reduction in the wages in the club. In comparison with the past season the sums of the contracts of the majority of the Russian-language players of basic composition can decrease by 25-30 percent. Also the yesterday official site of " [Reyndzhers]" it reported that in the club training camp of signs the participation is the first number of glass rod -2009 [KKHL] the defender of the TsSKA (Central Sports Club of the Army) Mikhail [Pashnin]. (Andrey Kuznetsov)

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
anything in English?
Better translation:

24-year-old defender Nikita Nikitin, throughout a professional career in favor of "Vanguard", will break into the main part of "St. Louis" in training camp. Yesterday, the president of the Blues, John Davidson announced the signing of a contract with the hockey player, who was was drafted in the 5 th round of 6 years ago.

Term of agreement with Nikitin's "vanguard" expires this summer. If the Russian do not reach the home team "St. Louis, he can play in the AHL for the 2010/11 season or return to Russia and sign a contract in the KHL. According to the "SE", one of the main reasons for the procuring of Nikitin to the care of the "Vanguard" is a serious decline in wages at the club. Compared with last season in the contract sum of the majority of Russian-speaking players from the main structure could be reduced by 25-30 percent.

Also yesterday, the official site of the Rangers said that in a club training camp will attend the first draft of room-2009 KHL CSKA defender Michael Pashnin.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Zine

Correct, Avangard is offering reduced contracts to its domestic players in order to afford imports and other better domestic FAs.
Nikitin was looking at reduced $$ and probably playing time behind Kulyash, Kukkonen, Skoula, Bell and Ryabykin.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
EOM

I noticed there is a Russian poster at the Asylum (stltoday) from Novosibirsk. He seems to know a lot about Tarasenko, this is what he said today:

Quote:
I did see on July 9th he answered a question saying he would know hopefully after "about a week." That might shift the timeline a few days.

Camp started here on the 12th, but the "first few days" are medical, then the team will fly to Latvia to work out.
http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/...2a43fbbd13a92e

Old
07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Robb_K

So, we have 3-5 more days to dangle on the string. He would surely help out this season (especially because of the low budget constraining the chance to pick up any additional forward costing more than $1.5-$1.7 million or so).

I can live with Tarasenko arriving for 2011-12. But, his arriving for this season would really help bolster the lines and #2 PP. It would help with overall speed and skill, and youthful energy and forwards' physical play. So, I have my fingers crossed and have hung a horseshoe up on a hook (I don't believe in cutting the feet off rabbits, and don't have time to look for 4-leafed clovers).

Old
07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
EOM

Quote:
So, we have 3-5 more days to dangle on the string. He would surely help out this season (especially because of the low budget constraining the chance to pick up any additional forward costing more than $1.5-$1.7 million or so).

I can live with Tarasenko arriving for 2011-12. But, his arriving for this season would really help bolster the lines and #2 PP. It would help with overall speed and skill, and youthful energy and forwards' physical play. So, I have my fingers crossed and have hung a horseshoe up on a hook (I don't believe in cutting the feet off rabbits, and don't have time to look for 4-leafed clovers).
I agree, I think he would give a nice boost to the offense. We'll need all the help we can get.

Old
07-12-2010, 11:13 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:

Besides EJ, Tarasenko is the one prospect that I think will be a legitimate NHL star player. 5 years into his career I could see him as one of the top 10 forwards in the league. At any rate, he sure would inject a lot of life into the fans, especially now that we're denied the opportunity to cheer for Eller in a Bluenote this season. (I'm not complaining, I think it was probably the best move...but still not a guy I wanted to lose.)

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:27 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Correct, Avangard is offering reduced contracts to its domestic players in order to afford imports and other better domestic FAs.

Nikitin was looking at reduced $$ and probably playing time behind Kulyash, Kukkonen, Skoula, Bell and Ryabykin.
OK, fair enough... all I wanted was for you to provide some source for your statement, and you did. Thank you for that.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:57 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

If he wasn't trying to get out of his deal, he likely would have announced his decision to stay with Sibir by now. That would be another significant domino falling into place a year ahead of schedule, and potentially the additional scoring the team needs this year. He certainly has the chops to come in and contribute at wing offensively. Obviously most 18 yr. olds can't make the transition to NHL play but he's coming from a quality pro league where he contributed in a meaningful way. At a chiseled 6'0,210 lbs. he has the strength and low center of gravity to combine with stickhandling and moves that could embarass NHL vets right now.

That being said, I remain intrigued by the thought of him playing for his father another year. I know some people freaked out a bit at his father's comments about Vladimir staying in Russia another 2-3 years, but he made it clear he was coming over next year for sure. His father has obviously had a big hand in him being the player he is today and I'm excited to see what more he can teach this blossoming young star. It's clear he's guided his son well to this point so regardless of where he ends up for the coming season, I will be excited as both have their merits. For me it comes down to what is best for Tarasenko and I have a strong feeling that he should play for his father this coming season. I think he'll make more progress there than he could under Payne here. No knock on Davis of course, but who knows Vlad better than his father? Either way this is EXTREMELY EXCITING(can't wait for Tarasenko Watch 2010-2011).

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

Strickland says he is playing in the KHL next year