HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was the Pronger Trade Worth it?

Old
07-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Flyers View Post
Can you imagine Pronger's life then? He retires at 40, plays golf every day, coaches his son's pee-wee hockey team and gets paid a couple million every year by the Flyers to do it.
if he "retires" then he doesn't get paid. The money is guaranteed only as long as he doesn't retire. Thus why Rathje has been rotting on LTIR and not "retired".

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 12:42 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
if he "retires" then he doesn't get paid. The money is guaranteed only as long as he doesn't retire. Thus why Rathje has been rotting on LTIR and not "retired".
They got away with that because it's "Long Term" if you're too old to play and your body can't handle it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 03:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Big bump....time to reconsider possibly. Guess it's par for the course with Bryz getting the same scrutiny. This one is for DenverBoone...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 50
any trade is worth Pronger

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:10 PM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Big bump....time to reconsider possibly. Guess it's par for the course with Bryz getting the same scrutiny. This one is for DenverBoone...
If we have won the cup in 2010 I would say yes for sure. With the absence of high round draft picks the following years, and the now regular injuries on Pronger, my doubts start to grow.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Flyers made the Pronger trade to win the Stanley Cup.

Until that happens, the answer is no.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:30 PM
dookie88

I fail to see how we gave up anything of significant value.

Until recently Lupul was an even bigger injury-mess than Pronger right now. He wouldn't have the same impact with us as he's having with the Leafs.

Sbisa is a #5 dman, he still has upside but he's not going to be a top-pairing guy.

Etem is meh.

Moore would've been nice to have, but who knows how he's going to pan out.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 05:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post

Until recently Lupul was an even bigger injury-mess than Pronger right now. He wouldn't have the same impact with us as he's having with the Leafs.

Sbisa is a #5 dman, he still has upside but he's not going to be a top-pairing guy.

Etem is meh.

Moore would've been nice to have, but who knows how he's going to pan out.
You could also peddle more trades for depth.

The Steve Eminger for John Carlson trade is the one that really hurts.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:38 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
You could also peddle more trades for depth.

The Steve Eminger for John Carlson trade is the one that really hurts.
No guarantee that we would have drafted him anyway just like getting Couts this year... Hindsight sucks...not that I liked the trade then anyway.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 07:12 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post

I concur. The Leafs lost a lot to get Kessel and Lupul had some time before they were matched where it looked like Lupul was going to miss time due to injury or had a lack of production. This is the first time since the trade that he has been healthy and consistent (for now).

Sbisa, I feel, we messed up his development by keeping him up to start the season, decreasing his work load, benching him, sending him back to juniors, and then trading him. I'm sure he'll get on the right track as some time, but not anytime shortly.

The picks were also not of any high place value (21 and 29 overall). All it did was deplete 1st round talent in our pool which we "supplemented" by signing players out of college like Read or making trades to get talent.

If anything it's losing Dingle that tips the trade out of our favor.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The Flyers made the Pronger trade to win the Stanley Cup.

Until that happens, the answer is no.
Such awful logic. Every trade is made with the ultimate goal of winning a cup. We should label every trade made by a team who didn't win a cup afterward a "loss".

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

The Pronger trade wasn't worth the bounty the Holmgren gave up. On top of it, Holmgren made the deal even worse by giving him that crazy contract extension and now we're seeing the decline of one of the premier defensemen who already had a lot of mileage on his body well before the trade.

I hope that after this knee surgery, the Flyers let Pronger take as much time as he needs to get his knee in shape before coming back. Instead of 4 weeks, give him six to eight weeks. Let the guys like Bourdon and Gustafsson play lots. I just don't hope Holmgren does something stupid and deal players and draft picks to try and make up for the loss. This should be gut check time for everyone.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

The Pronger trade was worth it. The Pronger contract wasn't, and it could end up haunting this team for a long time.

In hindsight, none of the assets Homer gave up have really amounted to much. Imo Sbisa is nothing more than a 2-3 defenseman, which are easy to find. We don't know what the Flyers would have done with any of those picks, but none of the guys that were still on the board in those drafts have really lit the world on fire. Lupul was added just to make the salary cap work. I wouldn't even consider him an asset.

Also, considering the alternative that offseason seemed to be signing Jay Bouwmeester (whose career has gone off a cliff since then), added a top defensemen like Pronger was well worth it.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:11 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
It was worth it. Do you really think the team would be better off now with Lupul, Sbisa, and those picks? Lupul probably would have left in free agency if you ask me. Sbisa would be playing on the second or third pairing, big whoop. And the picks weren't really going to be used on any serious talent (look at the guys drafted near the picks, no one looking like they are going to be a superstar at this point). Sure Pronger has been injury prone, but you can't factor that into whether or not it was worth it. It's not like they traded for a guy like DiPietro. Pronger didn't really have injury problems until he got here. When your team is close to a championship in the eyes of management and and you have an opportunity to get a HOF player, you do it. By the end of his contract, Pronger will not be playing like a HOFer, but at the time of the trade he still was playing like one.

EDIT: Not to mention they likely would not have signed a bunch of the guys they did in the meantime (guys like Read and Harry Z, among others).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Such awful logic. Every trade is made with the ultimate goal of winning a cup. We should label every trade made by a team who didn't win a cup afterward a "loss".
How is awful logic? Pronger is in an elite class and contributes much more to a team than a Blair Betts or Shelley for example.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:24 PM
RoDu

The Pronger trade wasn't worth it because we never until this year invested in a goalie. With the blowing up of the forwards, we won't be back in finals for a while

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
The Pronger trade wasn't worth it because we never until this year invested in a goalie. With the blowing up of the forwards, we won't be back in finals for a while
Why is that? The Flyers lead in GF/G yet round out the top 10 in GA. Think about what you say next time..

Old
11-28-2011, 09:56 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
Why is that? The Flyers lead in GF/G yet round out the top 10 in GA. Think about what you say next time..
I don't think we will be in the same position come years end

And it's not just offense, we gave up a lot of defense from the forward position

Last edited by RoDu: 11-28-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old
11-28-2011, 09:57 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I don't think we will be in the same position come years end
Same but it's a little crazy to just declare "WE WILL NOT MAKE THE FINALS, AND THAT IS FINAL" just a quarter of the way into the season.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 09:59 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Same but it's a little crazy to just declare "WE WILL NOT MAKE THE FINALS, AND THAT IS FINAL" just a quarter of the way into the season.
just being realistic, we took a step back to potentially take two forwards down the road

Old
11-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Slowbro

You can't predict that we won't make the finals on lack of forwards/offense/richards&carter trades when we lead the league in offense yet hover below mediocrity when it comes to goals agaisnt...

I don't think it is richards'/carter's defense minded style of play either. Not to mention, now Pronger is out for an extended period of time and Bryz still isn't playing well. IIRC, his sv% has not been ABOVE .905 all season. I think I see where the problem is..

Old
11-28-2011, 10:18 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Worth it 100% a guy like Pronger yeah you make that trade 10/10

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I still haven't made up my mind for sure, but his presence was definitely a major factor in the Finals run. That's worth a lot to me.

11-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I still haven't made up my mind for sure, but his presence was definitely a major factor in the Finals run. That's worth a lot to me.
So was Richards'.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 12:13 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
So was Richards'.
You're going to leave a scar picking at that scab all the time. The trade, that is; not Richards.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote