HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign McDonagh

Old
07-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
McDonagh ready to sign with the Rangers

According to RDS, McDonagh is negociating with the Rangers to make the big jump with the blue shirts.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/301967.html

According to the Rangers, McDonagh would be ready to play next season in NHL... well better now than never !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Andy

Gainey
Gomez
Gauthier

Price

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Komarov47

it's kinda weird, a week ago McDonagh wasn't even sure to be a pro next season...

Old
07-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
it's kinda weird, a week ago McDonagh wasn't even sure to be a pro next season...
Might be called....."negotiating"....

Great to see. Maybe a 1st rounder that will finally pay off.....just not with us. Will not be a top 2....but clearly #4 material with tons of work on the PK.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Might be called....."negotiating"....

Great to see. Maybe a 1st rounder that will finally pay off.....just not with us. Will not be a top 2....but clearly #4 material with tons of work on the PK.
I dunno what this guy really worth? Would he had a try with the Habs if he wouldn't be traded?

Old
07-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I dunno what this guy really worth? Would he had a try with the Habs if he wouldn't be traded?
To me, to this day, this kid is ahead of Carle and Weber on our depth chart. #2 behind Subban as far as the D's are concerned.

Problem is that Timmins sold this guy to us by saying that "he's going to be ready in 2 years" and liners like "He's the complete package".

Once we realize that the development didn't go as scheduled, you can still go to "the best d-man ever" to a pretty serviceable d-man that could play in the NHL. Might not make a great 1st rounder, might still make a good NHL player. Now I'M NOT bashing the scouting department for this pick. EVERYBODY agreed that if Hickey isn't picked at #4, chances are McDonagh is not available at our pick and we end up with.....Lars Eller. It's never too late....

So the pick was fine. The development, well not so much. I had a lot of concerns with how he was used in Wisconsin. We are, with reason, pretty favorable to the kids playing in hockey markets in the NCAA and it's understandable. It doesn't meant that it will always turn out great. As far as McDo is concerned, it will turn out OK.....just that I didn't see the way he was used to get him in track with a fast and fine development.

What's sad for us is that while every draft is not the same, you would have hoped that 2007 would have been to us, what 2003 was to the Ducks. 2 picks in the 1st round that would change your franchise. And what would have been great in 2007 is that if you have the ability to get 2 great young playes that could help you rapidly, is that not only they're good, but they're cheap as well. Exactly what the salary cap wants. Jury is still out on both guys. Sad that we weren't able to keep the 1st.....let's hope we keep the 2nd.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

gonna miss that pick

good thing we got pyatt, or else eeesh...

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
gonna miss that pick

good thing we got pyatt, or else eeesh...
so far we're winning that deal, its basically Gomez/Pyatt for Mcdonagh. Who knows how Mcdo will perform at the pro level anyway.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
so far we're winning that deal, its basically Gomez/Pyatt for Mcdonagh. Who knows how Mcdo will perform at the pro level anyway.
And 7 million dollars in cap space to sign Gaborik...

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:41 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
Exactly. While McDonagh has more upside, Pyatt has shown a lot more than he has so far in his career.

It's always said the team that gets the best player wins the trade, and like his contract or not, Gomez is the best player in that deal. I would even say Pyatt is the second best player in that trade considering what Higgins has done since he was dealt.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
He was awesome in the playoff

but seriously

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:45 AM
MrNasty

Quote:
and a trip to the conference finals...

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:57 AM
imnothere

Quote:
How do you know that ? He hasnt even skated once on an NHL rink. Who knows how good he will be.

imnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:09 PM
TheBuriedHab

He stayed too long in college. His development has not taken the next step. I doubt he becomes a top4 defense man.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:18 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Exactly. While McDonagh has more upside, Pyatt has shown a lot more than he has so far in his career.

It's always said the team that gets the best player wins the trade, and like his contract or not, Gomez is the best player in that deal.
Unfortunately that is old school thinking and exactly what got us into cap trouble. It isn't Gomez that is the problem it is his contract the prevents us from rounding out our roster with quality players. IMO, the Rangers clearly won this trade but used their newly acquired cap space very foolishly.

Now if Gomez was truly among the top 10 centers in the league it would be a different story but he falls somewhere in the 25 to 30 range.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:23 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Gaborik was awesome in the playoffs too....wait he didn't make the playoffs.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:25 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Unfortunately that is old school thinking and exactly what got us into cap trouble. It isn't Gomez that is the problem it is his contract the prevents us from rounding out our roster with quality players. IMO, the Rangers clearly won this trade but used their newly acquired cap space very foolishly.

Now if Gomez was truly among the top 10 centers in the league it would be a different story but he falls somewhere in the 25 to 30 range.
Cap trouble? Funny. I see it as Gomez being the core of a Habs team that went the deepest in the playoffs since 1993. I find nothing to complain about. The Habs went to the Conference Finals and the Rangers did not even make the playoffs. So spin it anyway that you can, but the results do not lie.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
He stayed too long in college. His development has not taken the next step. I doubt he becomes a top4 defense man.
I disagree. If you have natural talent, an extra year in College won't hurt you too much. If he was as good as Timmins said he was, then he should be able to make the jump. If he can't, it's just another Timmons joke of a pick, that should again prove why the guy shouldn't be the head scout.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Tusk

Quote:
What's sad for us is that while every draft is not the same, you would have hoped that 2007 would have been to us, what 2003 was to the Ducks. 2 picks in the 1st round that would change your franchise. And what would have been great in 2007 is that if you have the ability to get 2 great young playes that could help you rapidly, is that not only they're good, but they're cheap as well. Exactly what the salary cap wants. Jury is still out on both guys. Sad that we weren't able to keep the 1st.....let's hope we keep the 2nd.
We still have 2 first rounders from that draft.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Cap trouble? Funny. I see it as Gomez being the core of a Habs team that went the deepest in the playoffs since 1993. I find nothing to complain about. The Habs went to the Conference Finals and the Rangers did not even make the playoffs. So spin it anyway that you can, but the results do not lie.
It's a short term result, if McDonagh become a top 4 d-man in Time Square and Gomez saw his numbers decrease, well, the Rangers are clearly the winner on this one, it's not like the Pouliot-Latendresse trade, where both guys were around the same age, and after a full season of both, we could clearly see who are the winners, but the Gomez-McDonagh trade is a long term trade.

Old
07-04-2010, 12:52 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

Still ridiculous, 12 months later.

If Gomez was making $5.9M and Cammalleri was making $7.5M, would we be better off? Or worse off?

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Enter Subban and Eller.

Schooner Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:35 PM
HCH

Quote:
I see the Habs playoff success as an anomaly while I think you see him as a core player on a solid team. When I think back of all the teams that enjoyed unexpected success in the playoffs over the past few years, only to see them come crashing back to reality for the next couple of seasons.... you could say I am not confident.

Last season is over. We have to qualify for the playoffs all over again. The same playoffs that we squeaked into last year. What makes us better or our opposition weaker? We can't begin to talk about next year's playoffs until we have a spot clinched.

Thankfully we have the Rangers in our conference. Thankfully Buffalo lost some key talent and Philly's goaltending remains questionable. Carolina was strong in the second half and may be better next year, while Atlanta and Tampa have made some interesting changes. Even the Leafs will be tougher.

You can talk about our success last year all you want. The truth is that we paid a big price for it and it is a price we will keep on paying for a long, long time.

I appreciate your point of view but I fail to understand why Gomez is given so much credit by so many for the team's success. He was a contributor but in no way did he carry the team on his shoulders.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 01:58 PM
hockeyjockey

Quote:
I see the Habs playoff success as an anomaly while I think you see him as a core player on a solid team. When I think back of all the teams that enjoyed unexpected success in the playoffs over the past few years, only to see them come crashing back to reality for the next couple of seasons.... you could say I am not confident.

Last season is over. We have to qualify for the playoffs all over again. The same playoffs that we squeaked into last year. What makes us better or our opposition weaker? We can't begin to talk about next year's playoffs until we have a spot clinched.

Thankfully we have the Rangers in our conference. Thankfully Buffalo lost some key talent and Philly's goaltending remains questionable. Carolina was strong in the second half and may be better next year, while Atlanta and Tampa have made some interesting changes. Even the Leafs will be tougher.

You can talk about our success last year all you want. The truth is that we paid a big price for it and it is a price we will keep on paying for a long, long time.

I appreciate your point of view but I fail to understand why Gomez is given so much credit by so many for the team's success. He was a contributor but in no way did he carry the team on his shoulders.

This team underachieved all last season due to injuries. Not sure why you are being so negative. Wasn't the grit and dedication by our higest paid players not good enough for you? I strongly believe next year we will not be fighting as hard as we did last year to go to the dance.

on a side note MAB sucks.

hockeyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjockey View Post
This team underachieved all last season due to injuries. Not sure why you are being so negative. Wasn't the grit and dedication by our higest paid players not good enough for you? I strongly believe next year we will not be fighting as hard as we did last year to go to the dance.

on a side note MAB sucks.
I 100% agree. Last summer the consensus was that with a new coach and so many new players it would take time to build chemistry and learn the system. Then we lost markov to LTIR and suffered other injuries and the consensus was that if we played .500 through those injuries we'd still have a shot to make the playoffs. Everyone soon forgot the circumstances of the season and there were alot of fans calling for tanking and blowing up the team, bemoaning our record and performance. Even as we got healthy, secured 8th place and made it to the ECF people still look at the point total and think that is the potential of the team.

This team stands to be much better this year than last if they remain healthy after having a season to gel and play under Martin.

Krautso is online now   Reply With Quote