HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign McDonagh

Old
07-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
I 100% agree. Last summer the consensus was that with a new coach and so many new players it would take time to build chemistry and learn the system. Then we lost markov to LTIR and suffered other injuries and the consensus was that if we played .500 through those injuries we'd still have a shot to make the playoffs. Everyone soon forgot the circumstances of the season and there were alot of fans calling for tanking and blowing up the team, bemoaning our record and performance. Even as we got healthy, secured 8th place and made it to the ECF people still look at the point total and think that is the potential of the team.

This team stands to be much better this year than last if they remain healthy after having a season to gel and play under Martin.
This. beautifully explained.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Tusk

I can't believe people are already writing-off or just plain forgetting about Pacioretty. If he comes to camp healthy I think the third line should centre around him and Eller.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:44 PM
holyhabs87

Lol McDo aint ready for the NHL. He should go to the AHL for at least 1 season.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:57 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
I can't believe people are already writing-off or just plain forgetting about Pacioretty. If he comes to camp healthy I think the third line should centre around him and Eller.

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
Pacioretty-Eller-Lapierre
Moen-Boyd-Pyatt
Darche

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Boyd-Pyatt
Darche
Exactly my lineup too!

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:24 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I disagree. If you have natural talent, an extra year in College won't hurt you too much. If he was as good as Timmins said he was, then he should be able to make the jump. If he can't, it's just another Timmons joke of a pick, that should again prove why the guy shouldn't be the head scout.
He was ranked quite high that year where we picked him. A lot of people say that when a player stays for the full length of time at college their development takes a hit because the league gets to easy for them. He should have been in the Ahl this year or last year. So continue blaming Timmins all you want but your wrong.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:41 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
He was ranked quite high that year where we picked him. A lot of people say that when a player stays for the full length of time at college their development takes a hit because the league gets to easy for them. He should have been in the Ahl this year or last year. So continue blaming Timmins all you want but your wrong.
McDonagh was at Wisconsin 3 years not the full 4, if he indeed signs this summer. Him staying 3 years doesn't mean anything. He was a true freshman, making the jump from the USHS to the WCHA, playing a tougher position. He's had his ups and downs but still is a quality prospect for sure.

Quote:
I think that's a good thing. He needs to get his confidence back, but there's still hope he can turn into something very good for us. The kid was the USHL rookie of the year, then the CCHA rookie of the year, then was leading the Dogs in assists at the time of his 1st recall as a recently turned 20 year old rookie. But injuries and likely the pace of the NHL game have caused him problems, as rushing a big body to the NHL may not have been the way to go, but if he can put the injuries behind him (he's had several already in 2 years which is a bit of a concern) and if he can find his scoring touch while being more physical/going to the dirty areas more aggressively, then he could end up being a very solid NHLer in time.

I'd rather they take it slow with him though.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillainy View Post
How do you know that ? He hasnt even skated once on an NHL rink. Who knows how good he will be.
Geez, I guess I'm the first one in this board making predictions. I suggest you get use to it. Either you use hindsight and tell me that Ovechkin is a great hockey player....either you go a little further in your analysis and "predict", with what you know", how a player will turn out to be. Totally possible that he never amount to much. Possible he turns out as a poor man Josh Gorges. Or to nothing. I'm just "predicting" how he'll turn out based on what I know and saw. But I guess I should have said "predict"......like the tons of people who needs "In my opinion" before thinking we'd have a crystal ball or something....We don't. These are just opinions and predictions.

Quote:
We still have 2 first rounders from that draft.
True. I was just talking about the guys we drafted AND developed amongst our own system. We have had a hard time doing both of them lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Lol McDo aint ready for the NHL. He should go to the AHL for at least 1 season.
Totally think so too. They are solely talking about a pro contract. Not an NHL spot.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Turboflex*

You`d think the Rangers would`ve learned something about rushing guys to NHL after Del Zotto came crashing down to earth after a hot start.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
You`d think the Rangers would`ve learned something about rushing guys to NHL after Del Zotto came crashing down to earth after a hot start.
Not sure why you say that. He's been 3 years in College. They are thinking of signing him to a pro contract.....does it mean he would play in the NHL? To me, unless he's a great surprise, he starts the year in the AHL. NO rush.

Old
07-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Turboflex*

By rush I meant in their rookie pro year

college doesnt come close to a pro schedule, and it`s quite a jump in the level of competition to from ncaa to NHL.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
By rush I meant in their rookie pro year

college doesnt come close to a pro schedule, and it`s quite a jump in the level of competition to from ncaa to NHL.
I'd agree with you. We also thought the same after a development camp after Pacioretty was great. We'll see how it will turn out for them.

Old
07-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Darz

Quote:
Considering all but 2 (McD and Hickey) of the top 12 picks in the 2007 NHL draft have already played in the NHL, I can't see how you can say they are rushing him.

07-04-2010, 04:44 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
11 points in the last 19 games. he wasnt rushed. quite clearly showed he was more than capable of being an NHL player this past year. we also wouldnt be rushing mcdonagh. hes physically mature and is 3 years out of his draft now.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:55 PM
blueshirt4lyfe

Quote:
37 points
named to the all rookie team

yep the rangers learned their lesson.

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RE-HABS

This maybe a push by Sather in case they lose Staal to an offer sheet or have to trade him cause they can't meet his contract demands.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
so far we're winning that deal, its basically Gomez/Pyatt for Mcdonagh. Who knows how Mcdo will perform at the pro level anyway.
Higgins? Valentenko(who is rumoured to want to come back to NA)? Yes, it was one year of higgins, but higgins is better than pyatt but we have pyatt longer so it balanced out i guess.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:56 PM
blueshirt4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
This maybe a push by Sather in case they lose Staal to an offer sheet or have to trade him cause they can't meet his contract demands.
he has a chance to make the roster regardless of what happens with staal.

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
It's a short term result, if McDonagh become a top 4 d-man in Time Square and Gomez saw his numbers decrease, well, the Rangers are clearly the winner on this one, it's not like the Pouliot-Latendresse trade, where both guys were around the same age, and after a full season of both, we could clearly see who are the winners, but the Gomez-McDonagh trade is a long term trade.
I don't see the long term implications of the trade.

We drafted Tinordi, maybe Emmelin will come over and when Hamrlik's and Spacek's contract are up we will have cap space available to trade or sign a d-man, if we need to.

Also, hopefully it won't be too long until Leblanc and Eller are ready and then we can ship out Gomez and all the long term implications are dissolved into nothingness.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:08 PM
BigTime

Quote:
i agree, i hope that we see alot of these two together and build that chemistry....imagine these guys play awsome together and thats a habs line for long term future

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Moen-Boyd-Pyatt
Darche

id love to see this
with White as first injury call up

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 05:09 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEPG24 View Post
i agree, i hope that we see alot of these two together and build that chemistry....imagine these guys play awsome together and thats a habs line for long term future
Maybe with Palushaj on the other wing?

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:30 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Cammalleri-Pleks-AK
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Pacioretty-Eller-Boyd
Moen-Lapierre-Pyatt

Thats a pretty epic line up imho. Patches-Eller-Boyd give speed, fiestiness, high end skill, and character, if they would develop together they could really pan out well. I love the potential from that 3rd line to generate the offense needed.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:06 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Unfortunately that is old school thinking and exactly what got us into cap trouble. It isn't Gomez that is the problem it is his contract the prevents us from rounding out our roster with quality players. IMO, the Rangers clearly won this trade but used their newly acquired cap space very foolishly.

Now if Gomez was truly among the top 10 centers in the league it would be a different story but he falls somewhere in the 25 to 30 range.
I understand that there is always an injury concern with Gaborik, but can you tell me how they spent it foolishly?

He scored 86 points with 42 goals. One of 17 players to top 80 points, and one of 7 players with 40+ goals. To say that his $7.5m cap charge was spent improperly is a mistake, IMO.

I'd just like to hear more about it from your side.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:22 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
I understand that there is always an injury concern with Gaborik, but can you tell me how they spent it foolishly?

He scored 86 points with 42 goals. One of 17 players to top 80 points, and one of 7 players with 40+ goals. To say that his $7.5m cap charge was spent improperly is a mistake, IMO.

I'd just like to hear more about it from your side.
additionally, any comment about how Gaborik did in the PO's is unfair simply because of the supporting cast around the player.

No No. 1 or legit No. 2 center, no secondary scoring to speak of. one of the youngest defences in the league supported by Redden.

The fact that we were even close to making the PO's was all Gabby and Lundqvist.

That is money spent wisely (7.5 on Gabby)

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:22 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Gaborik was awesome in the playoffs too....wait he didn't make the playoffs.

He and Lundqvist were the only two that deserved to make the playoffs on this team.

We have the two superstars, but Montreal has more depth.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote