HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Stars sign Brunnstrom (1 year, $675,000), avoid arbitration

Old
07-21-2010, 05:07 PM
map94

vCash: 500
Any predictions? I'd guess about $1M one way deal. I guess that because it's more than he deserves and these things tend to end up that way.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Chad_

That sounds about right given how these things usually shake out (too much, but not exorbitant). Then again, Clarke MacArthur received a $1 million raise via arbitration, and the Thrashers have dropped him.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
$975,000 one way.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 05:28 PM
vofty

I think $1 million is a little high I'd go with $950,000-975,000 1 way.

Was his QO over/under $900,000 I don't remember?

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 05:50 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Fabian doesn't excel in any one particular facet of the game, but he is always in the middle of the action and seems to make a key contribution and key moments of the game. He uses his speed to find open areas on the ice and create scoring opportunities. He also has good overall vision and anticipation -- he understands what his assignment is before he steps on the ice. Fabian plays a very gritty, smart brand of hockey.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Fabian doesn't excel in any one particular facet of the game, but he is always in the middle of the action and seems to make a key contribution and key moments of the game. He uses his speed to find open areas on the ice and create scoring opportunities. He also has good overall vision and anticipation -- he understands what his assignment is before he steps on the ice. Fabian plays a very gritty, smart brand of hockey.
Production?

The hearing is on Friday, and this isn't the place to conference in to plead his case.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2010, 09:24 PM
map94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
I think $1 million is a little high I'd go with $950,000-975,000 1 way.

Was his QO over/under $900,000 I don't remember?
QO should have been $875,000 plus 5%, so $918,750. But they didn't have to qualify with a one way contract which apparently they didn't. QO is also not allowed to be used as evidence in the Arbitration hearing.

Old
07-22-2010, 02:00 AM
SinBinTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Fabian doesn't excel in any one particular facet of the game
yes huh. underachieving

SinBinTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:49 PM
map94

Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
QO should have been $875,000 plus 5%, so $918,750. But they didn't have to qualify with a one way contract which apparently they didn't. QO is also not allowed to be used as evidence in the Arbitration hearing.
Based on Heika's blog, I was wrong on the amount of the QO. I forgot to remove the signing bonus. His salary last year was $787,500 ($875,000 - $87,500). So add 5% and his QO is $826,875.

His comments about Brunnstroms agent maybe asking for less money than the Stars offer is interesting. I guess the Stars might suggest about $800k on a 2-way deal and he could suggest $750k on a 1-way deal. I think it will be hard to prove that a player who has spent about 5% of his time in the AHL the last 2 years deserves a 2 way deal.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...ng-friday.html

Old
07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
His comments about Brunnstroms agent maybe asking for less money than the Stars offer is interesting. I guess the Stars might suggest about $800k on a 2-way deal and he could suggest $750k on a 1-way deal. I think it will be hard to prove that a player who has spent about 5% of his time in the AHL the last 2 years deserves a 2 way deal.
Yet it makes no sense, since Brunnstrom would have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL and there's little chance he'd clear. So why would his agent seek less money to secure a one way deal when, if this was accurate, he'd get paid more with the two way deal on the table than to negotiate into a contract more potential pay if he somehow was in the AHL?

If I'm in Brunnstrom's shoes and that's what my agent thought was a bargaining chip, I'd fire him on the spot.

Old
07-23-2010, 08:57 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Dallas Stars and Fabian Brunnstrom come to terms on a 1 year, one-way, contract worth $675,000.

Sounds extremely reasonable from both sides. Dallas was never going to make it out of arbitration with a two-way deal, IMO, and I imagine Fabian would have received a bit more overall had he stuck with the arbitration process.

Fortunately, they avoided a situation that can get ugly.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:23 AM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
Yet it makes no sense, since Brunnstrom would have to clear waivers to be sent to the AHL and there's little chance he'd clear. So why would his agent seek less money to secure a one way deal when, if this was accurate, he'd get paid more with the two way deal on the table than to negotiate into a contract more potential pay if he somehow was in the AHL?

If I'm in Brunnstrom's shoes and that's what my agent thought was a bargaining chip, I'd fire him on the spot.
Agreed, I find it extremely hard to believe that Brunnstrom would have cleared waivers, but he takes less to get the 1 way deal, good for the Stars.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:37 AM
BigG44

Next question is how does he fit on the team? IIRC, Strangis seemed to indicate he felt the team would keep Benn at center. Does that mean Brunnstrom gets another shot at Ribs line? Is Ribs gone, does Brunnstrom gets a shot at Benn's line with Morrow? Is Wandell getting screwed stuck on the 4th line or would that be good for his recovery, not starting with a ton of ice time? With the exception of Ribeiro or another Top 6 forward getting traded, how does Brunnstrom get any PP time at all?

Honestly, I don’t think we can say for sure right now, but Brunnstrom better come prepared to camp. Otherwise he’s just a pressbox option waiting for an injury in the Top 6.

Old
07-23-2010, 09:44 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
OK, this post is going to be a little crazy.

Has anyone considered converting Brunnstrom to center?

Think about it. Almost all of the places he struggles are winger responsibilities. All those awkward defensive zone clears along the boards at the blueline. Tracking pinching opposing defenders coming down from the point. Winning battles down low.

What does he do well? He's actually a pretty damn good on-the-puck defender. He skates the puck up the ice with confidence when he has the time. Don't tell me he's not a playmaker, he's more advanced at that aspect than Wandell is (and arguably Benn, too) at this point in their careers.

Now, this doesn't get us any further to answering the question of how he fits on the team. But could it work?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post

Think about it. Almost all of the places he struggles are winger responsibilities. All those awkward defensive zone clears along the boards at the blueline. Tracking pinching opposing defenders coming down from the point. Winning battles down low.

What does he do well? He's actually a pretty damn good on-the-puck defender. He skates the puck up the ice with confidence when he has the time. Don't tell me he's not a playmaker, he's more advanced at that aspect than Wandell is at this point in their careers.

Now, this doesn't get us any further to answering the question of how he fits on the team. But could it work?
It fit's Joe wanting to get bigger at center, but they seem pretty sold on Benn and Wandell there right now. IIRC, Fabian did play center at lower levels of the Swedish leagues. He played LW in the SEL though.

Old
07-23-2010, 09:59 AM
beardedgraf

anywhere that keeps brunny away from the boards

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:57 AM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:

What does he do well? He's actually a pretty damn good on-the-puck defender. He skates the puck up the ice with confidence when he has the time. Don't tell me he's not a playmaker, he's more advanced at that aspect than Wandell is (and arguably Benn, too) at this point in their careers.

disagree, and very much so... benn stepped in a better playmaker than fabian's ever shown. and wandell, while maybe not as creative with the stick language, makes far better/ creative decisions with where he goes with the puck.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 10:58 AM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedgraf View Post
anywhere that keeps brunny away from the boards
oh dear this is so true

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Chad_

I'm both surprised and pleased by the deal. It does seem as if Brunnstrom's agent used a one way deal as his main bargaining chip, which is very, very odd.

Where does the idea Brunnstrom is a playmaker come from? He looked lost every single time he touched the puck last season. Statistics only tell part of the story, but they show he has never been much of a player who sets others up for goals. Isn't that part of what a playmaker does? Brunnstrom sure dangles the puck, a bit, but does so when he's not in danger and dangles into danger and into giving the puck away. That's not a playmaker, rather that's a guy who doesn't make the right decision on the ice.

I dearly hope I'm wrong on this one, but I don't think there's much left in Brunnstrom without some serious mental work on his side, work that I'm not entirely sure is possible at this stage. The idea that he could be counted upon to set up linemates is The Onion-worthy.

Old
07-23-2010, 11:45 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
I simply see a different player, one who has excellent underlying playmaking skills and thought-processes to pair alongside his finishing touch. They're there, waiting to be drawn out under the right circumstances and coaching.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
txomisc

Quote:
I'm both surprised and pleased by the deal. It does seem as if Brunnstrom's agent used a one way deal as his main bargaining chip, which is very, very odd.

Where does the idea Brunnstrom is a playmaker come from? He looked lost every single time he touched the puck last season. Statistics only tell part of the story, but they show he has never been much of a player who sets others up for goals. Isn't that part of what a playmaker does? Brunnstrom sure dangles the puck, a bit, but does so when he's not in danger and dangles into danger and into giving the puck away. That's not a playmaker, rather that's a guy who doesn't make the right decision on the ice.

I dearly hope I'm wrong on this one, but I don't think there's much left in Brunnstrom without some serious mental work on his side, work that I'm not entirely sure is possible at this stage. The idea that he could be counted upon to set up linemates is The Onion-worthy.
Actually I recall reading quotes from Brunnstrom about how his rookie goal scoring prowess surprised him as he was used to being more of a set up guy overseas.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 12:49 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I'm pleased it seems reasonable eventhough I have very little faith in him turning into anything worthwhile

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Actually I recall reading quotes from Brunnstrom about how his rookie goal scoring prowess surprised him as he was used to being more of a set up guy overseas.
His line in the SEL would back that up, but what have you seen him do in the NHL to live up to that reputation? Outside of Niskanen, and it's close, Brunnstrom might have the least amount of hockey sense on the Stars.

A true playmaker needs to be at minimum aware of what is going on around him. Brunnstrom looks like he's been thrown a surprise birthday party when he sees the puck or sees an opposing player. I keep waiting for him to pin the tail on the donkey or faint in shock that he's not out there by himself. Brunnstrom would be the worst guy on the team to try to make plays for others.

Old
07-23-2010, 01:31 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
I simply see a different player, one who has excellent underlying playmaking skills and thought-processes to pair alongside his finishing touch. They're there, waiting to be drawn out under the right circumstances and coaching.
I'm not sure about Brunnstrom at center, but I agree with your overall assessment of his game. I find it somewhat hard to believe that his playmaking skills need to be pointed out. IMO he's far more of a playmaker than a pure sniper. Who was he realistically playing with last year that wanted to play his offensive style of game once set up in the zone? Nobody.

And please, no "if he's such a playmaker why can't he make those guys better" arguments. They don't hold water. When the line is a revolving door with guys in and out of the lineup (including Brunnstrom) and they only play 6 minutes a game, it's pretty hard to get any kind of legitimate chemistry.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:34 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
His line in the SEL would back that up, but what have you seen him do in the NHL to live up to that reputation? Outside of Niskanen, and it's close, Brunnstrom might have the least amount of hockey sense on the Stars.
While those two players often have the same deer in headlights look on their faces, I wouldn't say that either lack hockey sense. With both of them it's all about confidence. When they have it they each look like entirely different hockey players.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote