HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Pick: Norwegian Sondre Olden

Old
07-07-2010, 10:15 AM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree. I see no reason not to bring over European players who want to come over immediately after being drafted. That is what the AHL and ECHL are for. If a player struggles getting use to the NA game, then send him to Columbia. That way, you have direct control over their development. This is not a shot at the Euro leagues at all, but it has always frustrated me that teams do not make full use of the developmental tools and programs that they have available. Why have them if you don't intend to use them?
Well, this is an 18 year old kid, who has already left home to go to Sweden and get on with a top pro team there. Right now, the most important thing for him is to play the highest level he can to develop his skills, and if someone else wants to pay for his development while not using up years of his ELC, then fine.

But, this is something to be assessed year-by-year. The team can tell him what the would like him to do, but until he signs a contract, he has all the cards. If he wants to develop with Modo and feels that it's the best place for him, that's his call.

I think having him play pro in Sweden is a lot better for him then play in the ECHL. But, that's just my opinion. It's not about failing to use your development system, it's about being pragmatic toward each player's needs. Many teams have had a lot of success with letting players grow up a little and develop their skills outside North America, before bringing them here to adapt to the North American hockey. Many young players are not developed enough physically at this point in their lives to adapt well to the physical grind of North American hockey and it may come at a cost to their skill development. Some others excel.

I'm sure that assessing the players and determining the best path for their development is a major part of what they are doing this week during the camp.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
When can Olden play in the AHL? Next year, or the year after?

I really want to see these guys play.
Better for him to stay 2-3 years in Europe first. Let him gain weight, play in the Swedish league, then come over

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 10:37 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

at least we have a sexy pick to get excited over.

eric knodel just didnt do it for me last year

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Falon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
Well, this is an 18 year old kid, who has already left home to go to Sweden and get on with a top pro team there. Right now, the most important thing for him is to play the highest level he can to develop his skills, and if someone else wants to pay for his development while not using up years of his ELC, then fine.

But, this is something to be assessed year-by-year. The team can tell him what the would like him to do, but until he signs a contract, he has all the cards. If he wants to develop with Modo and feels that it's the best place for him, that's his call.

I think having him play pro in Sweden is a lot better for him then play in the ECHL. But, that's just my opinion. It's not about failing to use your development system, it's about being pragmatic toward each player's needs. Many teams have had a lot of success with letting players grow up a little and develop their skills outside North America, before bringing them here to adapt to the North American hockey. Many young players are not developed enough physically at this point in their lives to adapt well to the physical grind of North American hockey and it may come at a cost to their skill development. Some others excel.

I'm sure that assessing the players and determining the best path for their development is a major part of what they are doing this week during the camp.
Don't get me wrong, I see your point and the logic behind it. However, there seems to be an automatic assumption that any European players drafted have a double adjustment period. It is their growth in the Euro leagues, and then to adjust to a NA game. Based on that, why not let them grow in your own system, with the personnel that has knowledge of developmental growth and the NA game? It has worked for so many players. If he gets taken in the import draft, then all the better, but making use of your own system seems like a world's better option then the dual adjustment period.

Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 11:24 AM
RonEllisFan

Funny, I live here in Norway and the buzz about this kid is bigger over in North America then here, goes to show about how big hockey is over here, only 3000 hockey players in Norway. But I have been watching the pro league here for the last 12 years and at first they seem to be a little soft, but it's been improving year by year, more in the last 5 years, getting tougher, fights and face washing going on around the crease, and their international play getting better, beat the czecks in the last world champs, but got run over by a bad Canadian team, now if it was a nordic sport, it would be front page every day.

RonEllisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 07:46 PM
modopopcorn

Send a message via MSN to modopopcorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree. I see no reason not to bring over European players who want to come over immediately after being drafted. That is what the AHL and ECHL are for. If a player struggles getting use to the NA game, then send him to Columbia. That way, you have direct control over their development. This is not a shot at the Euro leagues at all, but it has always frustrated me that teams do not make full use of the developmental tools and programs that they have available. Why have them if you don't intend to use them?
I dont really understand how you are thinking, he has a contract with MoDo Hockey, NOT Toronto, and isnt there a limit to how many players a club in the nhl can have under contract? If the NHL clubs signed all european picks just to let them play in much worse leagues than here in Europe it wont do them any good.

Sit down in the boat, he will come over eventually, he have already had som adjustment issues moving to Ornskoldsvik, if he moves to NA and gets recalled and reverse it would probably ruin him!

modopopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
About Scandinavians: Is Rynnas in camp?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:13 PM
snoop22ca

he played great tonight.

snoop22ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:31 PM
kfernandes29

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop22ca View Post
he played great tonight.
I agree. I didn't know what to expect or what kind of player he was.....but he surprised the hell outta me.

kfernandes29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:42 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I would like to pitch this as his new official nickname: Golden Oldy

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:21 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

if he gets into the nhl(develops all good in SEL and is at very least 205lbs) i really see him as anze kopitar lite, 75,80pts with #1 center potential, but no earlier than 3 years from now though because he is raw, at least we'll have tons of time to start the hype train and every other leafs fan will have to start olden vs any other canadian teams prospect threads to piss off every team!

just wearing my maple leafs dream goggles, but yeah

SuperSaiyanBeastmode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:27 PM
The Maple Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
I would like to pitch this as his new official nickname: Golden Oldy
or "Scott Pilgrim", seeing as how he resembles Michael Cera. And no, I'm not joking.

The Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:41 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

My favourite prospect. Hopefully we develop him properly, should be a dandy.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
if he gets into the nhl(develops all good in SEL and is at very least 205lbs) i really see him as anze kopitar lite, 75,80pts with #1 center potential, but no earlier than 3 years from now though because he is raw, at least we'll have tons of time to start the hype train and every other leafs fan will have to start olden vs any other canadian teams prospect threads to piss off every team!

just wearing my maple leafs dream goggles, but yeah
A gangly 6'4" product of the SEL with offensive skill that Detroit also wanted has me quietly dreaming/hoping for a Mats Sundin JR miracle...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:15 AM
LC

vCash: 50
Olden could turn into a really good centerman.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Olden could turn into a really good centerman.
He's a winger?

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
People need to take it easy. Just like it is stupid to write off Kadri because of one supposed bad game (don't believe me, read the post game talk), it is also stupid to project Olden as anything more than a long-term project at this point.

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:38 AM
edruga

vCash: 666
He looked great, as did Mckegg, Ross and Kadri. Not sure why people are fussing over Kadri's game (boohoo he didn't put up a point).

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:48 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
When can Olden play in the AHL? Next year, or the year after?

I really want to see these guys play.
im pretty sure i read somewhere that he'll play off his contract in the SEL for the next 2 years and then come over

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:51 AM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He's a winger?
No, just spamming by making too obvious of a statement I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Classy View Post
People need to take it easy. Just like it is stupid to write off Kadri because of one supposed bad game (don't believe me, read the post game talk), it is also stupid to project Olden as anything more than a long-term project at this point.
Its all expectations.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 01:06 AM
WTFMAN99

I liked Olden's game tonight. Good start, I was surprised that he threw a couple hits too, needs to put on some weight. I say let him take the Kopitar route, give him a couple years in the SEL.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:09 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Classy View Post
honestly speaking, the fact that he impressed so much in Modo's training camp, and is looking so good here already in rookie camp, means he's already less of a long-term project than most of us thought he was when we drafted him.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:12 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
honestly speaking, the fact that he impressed so much in Modo's training camp, and is looking so good here already in rookie camp, means he's already less of a long-term project than most of us thought he was when we drafted him.
Nope, he's not. But I'm thinking there's definitely no rush. I'd love to see him over ripen in Europe, and maybe the AHL.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by edruga View Post
He looked great, as did Mckegg, Ross and Kadri. Not sure why people are fussing over Kadri's game (boohoo he didn't put up a point).
I only saw the highlights, but Kadri looked pretty reckless and undisciplined. It's nice to have a player who isn't afraid to play physical, but he seemed to try too hard to be physical, which means he will have an injury plagued career, and will take too many dumb penalties.

He didn't impress me much at the WJC either.

Personally, I think Kadri needs to spend half a season with the Marlies to iron his game out more.

I did like what I saw from Brad Ross, Sondre Olden, McKegg, Gysbers, and Rynnas.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:30 PM
edruga

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I only saw the highlights, but Kadri looked pretty reckless and undisciplined. It's nice to have a player who isn't afraid to play physical, but he seemed to try too hard to be physical, which means he will have an injury plagued career, and will take too many dumb penalties.
The thing about Kadri is that he oozes creativity, he's completely unpredictable. Every time he had possession of the puck you could tell he was a tier higher than everyone else on the ice. I wouldn't call his highlights last night "reckless and undisciplined", they were quality forechecks, one gave them a power play and the other one gave them a scoring chance.

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote