HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mats Zuccarello Aasen

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2010, 03:22 PM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Haha, cool find . It is from his years in Norway, three years ago or so.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Levitate

I think the doubts just mainly come from his size. If he was 6'0 185 then I think people would be more excited. It's hard to predict how a player that's only 5'6 or 5'7 will do in the NHL, and most people will ere on the side of caution.

Though I do think some are writing him off pretty quickly as well

Old
07-12-2010, 03:38 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

These outside NHL signings by Sather usually end in disappointment, so I'll keep my excitement reserved until I see this guy compete on an NHL rink for an extended amount of games.

If he gets 15+ goals i think we all have to be extremely happy. I think realistically we should be content with 10-12 goals and around 30 points depending on what kind of time he sees for a rookie. These are NHL goalies hell be facing now

Who knows, look at a little guy like Prucha though - he went nuts that year. We'll find out.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-12-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old
07-12-2010, 03:39 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

it seems like, atleast in these videos, that hes always got alot of room to maneuver and when hes got time, hes crafty. but many of the goals are from shootouts which tell you exactly nothing.

what does stand out is 2 things one positive, one not so much.

he has really quick hands. he gets his shot off quick and he can shoot off the deke. i like that. and he shoots it off the pass which not enough of our guys do-- then again, when you are a 3rd liner playign top 6 minutes, what do you expect. anyway, hes got some sniping ability for sure. what with that long stick though ??

the other thing that stands out is his size. hes so small he really does look like a midget.
being small and fast is one thing but this guy looks freekin tiny out there.

i fear for his safety.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
He looks a lot like MSL on the ice. No I am not kidding.

A few things I noticed is that he prefers to shoot from almost the goal line, deke his way in, which makes me think we have a Nylander type guy on our hands, who has an OK wrist shot but will either pass or try for a deke every time.

Eventually goaltenders will catch on and start using a poke-check on him.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Matteau Matteau

Go Frodo

Old
07-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

man that kid's got some great hands.

but

man that kid is tiny.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:59 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
It's funny because if you put a MZA highlight video next to a Zherdev one, you'd be more impressed by the MZA one.

In fact, I'd go to say he has Zherdev like skills played with Callahan like heart.
haha yeah thats an interesting comparison, but we will have to wait to see if he can do it in the NHL, i personally think he can hang but we will find out soon enough.

OT:What happened to Spike dude!?!Haha, i love cowboy bebop.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:59 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Just as helicopter pointed out..
good to see someone agrees.. it's helicecopter though

btw, the guy is tiny, but not weak.
Looks like he is working on it, but he was already stronger than you would expect from such a shrimp.
Of course that doesn't mean he wasn't weaker than your average NHL defenseman.

Old
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
haha yeah thats an interesting comparison, but we will have to wait to see if he can do it in the NHL, i personally think he can hang but we will find out soon enough.

OT:What happened to Spike dude!?!Haha, i love cowboy bebop.
I know, I loved using Spike haha, but I use the Goose as almost every forum avatar I have and was starting to miss it!

Old
07-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think the doubts just mainly come from his size. If he was 6'0 185 then I think people would be more excited. It's hard to predict how a player that's only 5'6 or 5'7 will do in the NHL, and most people will ere on the side of caution.

Though I do think some are writing him off pretty quickly as well
I'm not really too concerned about him being 5'7". A lot of players in the NHL succeed being small (5'6" - 5-9") what bothers me is his WEIGHT. From what I've read he is 155-160 pounds. You look at other small players who have succeeded in the NHL and they have a lot more weight on them. Gionta (5'7", 175lbs), St. Louis (5'9", 180lbs), Cammalleri (5'9", 180lbs), or looking back to someone like Theo Fleury (5'6", 180lbs) and it is clear to me that MZA still has to put on another 15lbs. Granted, Sullivan has had some really solid NHL seasons and he is about the same size as MZA.

I'm guessing the SEL isn't as physical as the NHL (just a guess b/c I'm not really sure how physical the game is in Sweden) but generally, the stereotype is, in the NHL the players are bigger / tougher and the rink is smaller. Will he be able to succeed with those conditions at his current weight? I can picture defense men like Pronger, Sutton, Chara, Orpik, Gil or forwards like Byfuglien, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc; just swatting him to the side. I can't wait to see what he can bring to the table though.

Old
07-12-2010, 05:41 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
what bothers me is his WEIGHT. From what I've read he is 155-160 pounds. You look at other small players who have succeeded in the NHL and they have a lot more weight on them. Gionta (5'7", 175lbs), St. Louis (5'9", 180lbs), Cammalleri (5'9", 180lbs), or looking back to someone like Theo Fleury (5'6", 180lbs) and it is clear to me that MZA still has to put on another 15lbs.
Don't worry... come training camp, I'm sure the Rangers website will have him listed as 175. Problem solved!

Old
07-12-2010, 05:42 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I'm not really too concerned about him being 5'7". A lot of players in the NHL succeed being small (5'6" - 5-9") what bothers me is his WEIGHT. From what I've read he is 155-160 pounds. You look at other small players who have succeeded in the NHL and they have a lot more weight on them. Gionta (5'7", 175lbs), St. Louis (5'9", 180lbs), Cammalleri (5'9", 180lbs), or looking back to someone like Theo Fleury (5'6", 180lbs) and it is clear to me that MZA still has to put on another 15lbs. Granted, Sullivan has had some really solid NHL seasons and he is about the same size as MZA.

I'm guessing the SEL isn't as physical as the NHL (just a guess b/c I'm not really sure how physical the game is in Sweden) but generally, the stereotype is, in the NHL the players are bigger / tougher and the rink is smaller. Will he be able to succeed with those conditions at his current weight? I can picture defense men like Pronger, Sutton, Chara, Orpik, Gil or forwards like Byfuglien, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc; just swatting him to the side. I can't wait to see what he can bring to the table though.
I refuse to believe that Gionta actually weighs 175, St. Louis 180, etc. Ever notice how all of those listings are nice round numbers? Do you really think they'd list an NHL player at 155? I don't think so.

Old
07-12-2010, 06:19 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I know, I loved using Spike haha, but I use the Goose as almost every forum avatar I have and was starting to miss it!
Haha for sure man. It does make more sense with the name and everything.

Old
07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Not sure if this was posted in any other MZA threads.

Old
07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Im always a little worried about how the smaller ice size will affect the play of a new euro prospect.

Old
07-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Im always a little worried about how the smaller ice size will affect the play of a new euro prospect.
Sadly I fully see him getting demolished.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:42 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Don't worry... come training camp, I'm sure the Rangers website will have him listed as 175. Problem solved!
Yeah, Prucha was listed (and still is) at 6'0 170

I think fans would be surprised, some shocked, at the true players height and weight around the league -especially the smaller guys. This is one sport were a smaller dude can play even though conventional wisdom is they would get thrashed around. ITs more about toughness, elusiveness and good ole keeping your head up in the middle of the ice. (Like that video above, but im sure he would get creamed trying a move like that against a Volchenkov or Pronger)

As far as MZA goes - who knows... Even though I really hate scouting players in the Olympics because its a totally different game and rink size, it can be said that he faired well against some of the larger players around the world in that specific setting. How that translates to a smaller rink and a more North American style of play remains to be seen.

I think he'll make the team out of camp, have a decent start and then the real test will begin. If he starts scoring at any kind of consistent rate early in the season and becomes a threat, teams will start to focus on the lack of his physical stature (which is where the Boogaard's signing could arguably come into play - though i still hate the signing and really don't think hell perturb this behavior because he sure as hell wont be on the same line as MZA).

Teams will most certainly be coming after him if hes doing anything remotely special out there. These are the games, like the first Rangers/Flyers matchup on Nov 4th (which just so happens to be IN Philly) that will show us if he can past the fortitude test. IF he can, then its really a case of him dodging injury and long term wear throughout the season IMO.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-12-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old
07-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
I thought it was Awe sen. I'll take your word for it
it's Au...
Like the Brits say because.
...or the name Laura...
or perhaps even easier , as in "door."

Old
07-13-2010, 01:23 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
I thought it was Awe sen...
And that´s right ! ! !

Old
07-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah, Prucha was listed (and still is) at 6'0 170

I think fans would be surprised, some shocked, at the true players height and weight around the league -especially the smaller guys. This is one sport were a smaller dude can play even though conventional wisdom is they would get thrashed around. ITs more about toughness, elusiveness and good ole keeping your head up in the middle of the ice. (Like that video above, but im sure he would get creamed trying a move like that against a Volchenkov or Pronger)

As far as MZA goes - who knows... Even though I really hate scouting players in the Olympics because its a totally different game and rink size, it can be said that he faired well against some of the larger players around the world in that specific setting. How that translates to a smaller rink and a more North American style of play remains to be seen.

I think he'll make the team out of camp, have a decent start and then the real test will begin. If he starts scoring at any kind of consistent rate early in the season and becomes a threat, teams will start to focus on the lack of his physical stature (which is where the Boogaard's signing could arguably come into play - though i still hate the signing and really don't think hell perturb this behavior because he sure as hell wont be on the same line as MZA).

Teams will most certainly be coming after him if hes doing anything remotely special out there. These are the games, like the first Rangers/Flyers matchup on Nov 4th (which just so happens to be IN Philly) that will show us if he can past the fortitude test. IF he can, then its really a case of him dodging injury and long term wear throughout the season IMO.
Great post!

Just one smaller thing, this years Olympics were played on the normal NHL sized ice in Vancouver.

In terms of skating, MZA looks better on the smaller ice then on the european ice. The physical aspects though is another story.

Old
07-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
He looks a lot like MSL on the ice. No I am not kidding.

A few things I noticed is that he prefers to shoot from almost the goal line, deke his way in, which makes me think we have a Nylander type guy on our hands, who has an OK wrist shot but will either pass or try for a deke every time.

Eventually goaltenders will catch on and start using a poke-check on him.
That could be the case when he comes in on a goalie, but don't let the highlite vids fool you, he is 10x the sniper Nylander was. 10000000x. Nyls never unloads a slapper basically, MZA one times the puck a lot.

Old
07-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

i dont know if it's safe for him to be in a division with Chris Prongers elbows

Old
07-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Black View Post
Sadly I fully see him getting demolished.
I don't think the problem will be him getting smoked by NHL players, just that the physical grind may be too much, he may not be able to find the time and space he needs, etc.

It's not really that often that you see guys just unable to compete in the NHL because they get blasted with big hits too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
i dont know if it's safe for him to be in a division with Chris Prongers elbows
It's ok, Pronger's elbows will go right over his head

Old
07-13-2010, 09:05 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Great post!

Just one smaller thing, this years Olympics were played on the normal NHL sized ice in Vancouver.

In terms of skating, MZA looks better on the smaller ice then on the european ice. The physical aspects though is another story.
You know what Ola... thanks for pointing that out. I totally forgot about that. I guess it holds a little more water then.

Closed Thread