HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sources: Flyers Close to Deal With Zherdev (link to report in post #275)

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2010, 05:18 PM
flountown

vCash: 500
If Gagne gets traded, the only signings we need to worry about next year are Carter, Giroux and Leino, JVR is in two years.

Now look at it this way, if we let Carter walk, we are going to get at least this:
Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick
...as compensation, or if he signs an offer sheet for a larger amount we are looking at (4) 1st rounders. Also realize that most likely the Cap is going to go up. And if we look a few years down the road, and the NHL smarts up and moves some teams to viable Canadian markets, the Cap is only going to get higher and higher. So I think everything will work out even if we can't resign Carter. Because I think we will at least sign Giroux and Leino.

Old
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

So Leino could have a good year. How are we going to resign him.

Giroux has a good year and Carter has a 50 goal season. How are we going to sign him???

The Briere contract is ugly right now. Just moving Gagne and signing Zherdev doesn't solve these potential problems.

Old
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Next to Giroux or Richards, it's more than possible.

The guy has elite level skill, elite finish and sometimes he just doesn't try. He could coast on that line and score 30.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
except Carter is twice the offensive player, plays a more important position, and is very good defensively.
No, he isn't. Have you ever seen Zherdev play?

Old
07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
The guy has elite level skill, elite finish and sometimes he just doesn't try. He could coast on that line and score 30.
Lavi will make him bust his ass..

The guys in the lockerrom will make sure Zherdev isn't a passenger. But do we really need Zherdev???

Old
07-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
how well can he play goal?

Old
07-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
JVR-Richards-Zherdev
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Maroon-Carter-Giroux
Shelley-Betts-Lappy
Powe

I ****ing hate not having Gagne on that ****ing list, I mean it really pains me, but the top 3 lines look very good.

Gagne (possible +) for Simmonds?
If you trade Gagne you'll get something back. If not, you will have enough room to re-sign Carcillo (to play instead of Maroon) or bring in Turco.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Do you really think we are going to pay out the ass for him? We got Emery for 1.5M, do you think he will go for 4M when trying to COME BACK to the NHL? I think we could squeeze 2M for a year out of him and if he does well, re-sign him.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
So Leino could have a good year. How are we going to resign him.

Giroux has a good year and Carter has a 50 goal season. How are we going to sign him???

The Briere contract is ugly right now. Just moving Gagne and signing Zherdev doesn't solve these potential problems.
Carter dropping 45 goals would be amazing for the team but hell to re-sign him. Once he gets into the 6M+ territory (and 115-120 goals over 3 seasons would) then things will get really tricky.

Which is why people like myself and Storm and Jester and many others get so frustrated with these "nickel and dime" mistakes because they really start to add up. Leighton and Shelley being overpaid (or signed at all) for example. That's 2.6M right there that could be saved. Handing out NTCs like candy or singing for too long a time period hurts too. Sometimes signing a worse player to a favorable contract is far better than overpaying the player that you want.

Old
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Why are all these twitter tweets whatever the **** they are called have all this information yet legitimate sources do not?
Well I know euroflyers gets his information from the Finnish, Swedish, and Russian media. Most of the time news on European players will reported there before it filters to the North American press. However, the Russian media can be also inaccurate so sometimes the stuff they report isn't legit.

Old
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
I'm a little scared of the length and the potential attitude problems, but its hard not to drool over a player with that offensive ability for only a 2.75 cap hit...

Old
07-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I'm a little scared of the length and the potential attitude problems, but its hard not to drool over a player with that offensive ability for only a 2.75 cap hit...
That's what she said.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
blah

Can Hartnell be waived? He only has a NTC.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Zherdev is an Elite talent. He is just a lazy ****er and never plays up to the potential.

I like the deal if we had cap room and didn't have core players to resign in the following years.. Homer is really confusing me with these moves.. We might move Gagne and get some picks or some prospects.. Ok Cool. But we shouldn't have been in this position in the first place.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I will reserve judgment on this until we are done wheeling and dealing, if the price is right and the role is somewhat limited, cool. With Giroux probably getting consistent top six time that may be the case but at this point it's just impossible to say because we have no idea what will unfold with this sudden influx of players to push Philly over the cap.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Do you really think we are going to pay out the ass for him? We got Emery for 1.5M, do you think he will go for 4M when trying to COME BACK to the NHL? I think we could squeeze 2M for a year out of him and if he does well, re-sign him.

I'm kind of shocked at the 2.75 million for 3 years number. I'd have thought at least in the neighborhood of 3.6 minimum. If the 2.75 number carries any validity, sign the ****ing guy. If he gels here and buys in you've got franchise skill for a bargain basement price.

I realize the 2.75 tag is speculation, sorry.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
But we shouldn't have been in this position in the first place.
this probably can't be emphasized enough.

this would be so much easier if homer hadn't overpaid coburn, disgustingly overpaid leighton, or signed mother****ing shelley.

in other words, if homer wasnt a ****ing retard, maybe there wouldnt be problems.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Flyersguru

Here's the deal, after next season, one Carter or Briere will have to go.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
this probably can't be emphasized enough.

this would be so much easier if homer hadn't overpaid coburn, disgustingly overpaid leighton, or signed mother****ing shelley.

in other words, if homer wasnt a ****ing retard, maybe there wouldnt be problems.
Your acting like they're getting paid $5 million per, have 5 year deals, and have NTC/NMC.

Would you stop overreacting!

Old
07-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Carter dropping 45 goals would be amazing for the team but hell to re-sign him. Once he gets into the 6M+ territory (and 115-120 goals over 3 seasons would) then things will get really tricky.

Which is why people like myself and Storm and Jester and many others get so frustrated with these "nickel and dime" mistakes because they really start to add up. Leighton and Shelley being overpaid (or signed at all) for example. That's 2.6M right there that could be saved. Handing out NTCs like candy or singing for too long a time period hurts too. Sometimes signing a worse player to a favorable contract is far better than overpaying the player that you want.
You have no idea what the cap will be so it's pointless to worry about it this year. Put the best team you possibly can out there this year and then if you have to trade guys next year, so be it. I'm sure Chicago is heartbroken about winning the Cup this year and then having to trade some of their guys. Plus, waiving guys like Leighton or Shelley shouldn't be a big deal if you need cap space next year.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:37 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I actually don't have a problem with this, despite the potential salary problems it could pose in the future. Zherdev is extremely talented and was playing with hacks and schmucks in Columbus and New York. He's going to be playing with elite talent in Philadelphia, and I think he easily eclipses 60 points. Worst case, we trade him to keep Giroux and Carter, getting a significant asset in return.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Your acting like they're getting paid $5 million per, have 5 year deals, and have NTC/NMC.

Would you stop overreacting!
Overpaying your role players can be just as bad as overpaying someone with a much larger salary. Just ask the Oilers who overpaid a bunch after their Cup run.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:38 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

what if it were to happen like this... now, keep in mind this is wishful thinking

we trade gagne for a few picks or prospects, etc.
we sign Zherdev to a cheaper cap hit on a 1 year deal.
we sign Marty Turco to a 1 year deal, and hope that Bobrovsky is ready by 2011-2012

if Bob is ready, then we let Turco walk, let Zherdev walk (depending on how he does, granted we won't need him afer Shelley breaks out with a 50 goal season) and resign Gagne to a smaller cap hit so he can retire a Flyer.

any way at all this might be what homer is thinking?

Old
07-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Here's the deal, after next season, one Carter or Briere will have to go.
I know Danny is a playoff hero but I think that decision is easy you have to move Danny over Carter seeing how Danny will start aging fairly quickly.

Old
07-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
what if it were to happen like this... now, keep in mind this is wishful thinking

we trade gagne for a few picks or prospects, etc.
we sign Zherdev to a cheaper cap hit on a 1 year deal.
we sign Marty Turco to a 1 year deal, and hope that Bobrovsky is ready by 2011-2012

if Bob is ready, then we let Turco walk, let Zherdev walk (depending on how he does, granted we won't need him afer Shelley breaks out with a 50 goal season) and resign Gagne to a smaller cap hit so he can retire a Flyer.

any way at all this might be what homer is thinking?
If we trade Gagne I doubt he would want to come back as much as he loves it here. When somebody asks you to lift a NTC it is kind of a slap in the face.

Closed Thread