HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Huet to...Europe?

Old
07-09-2010, 09:06 PM
sh724

vCash: 500
Huet to...Europe?

Per Strickland twitter

http://twitter.com/andystrickland

"Don't rule out the possibility of the Blackhawks lending goaltender Christobal Huet to a team over in Europe."

Good way to free up his salary without losing picks/prospects dumping him on another team

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
There is talk he is going to go back to Swiss league if his agent can find a team he fits

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
so the hawks have to pay him, but he won't count against the cap?

Lemieuxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:44 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 227
He had no choice

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:44 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
this will be fun

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:53 PM
JCameron418

Wishful thinking is all this is

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:58 PM
IJReilly

No choice really. If you do the math there is no way for the Hawks to ice a full roster without making Huet's entire contract disappear (whether via Rockford, Europe, or trade). The only alternatives would involve moving 1-2 more decent-sized contracts like Sharp & Bolland (with or without a Huet buyout), but Chicago's obviously not planning to do that or it would have happened already.

Didn't think Wirtz would have the stones to eat $11 million, but it looks inevitable at this point.

IJReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Tagged to remember your post when the time comes.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Kazer

Quote:
How is it wishful thinking?

Huet doesn't have a NMC and Chicago has cap problems. Huet is either going to Europe or the AHL, and I, personally, would want to go to Europe given those choices.

Kazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
No it isn't. See Michael Nylander. Played in AHL and in Finland (unfortunately), salary didn't count against the cap.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Fairenough

When you think about it, it's kinda "sad" .

The guy might never play in the NHL again. Why? Because someone gave him an enormous contract. Not because he isn't good enough to play in the league.

It's an unfortunate situation. Yeah, I know, the guy is making 5 million/year, but still, it sucks. Especially considering all he had to go through, to make it to the NHL, in the first place.

Fairenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Dustin16182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenough View Post

The guy might never play in the NHL again. Why? Because someone gave him an enormous contract. Not because he isn't good enough to play in the league.

It's an unfortunate situation. Yeah, I know, the guy is making 5 million/year, but still, it sucks. Especially considering all he had to go through, to make it to the NHL, in the first place.
Yea, it would be nice for the NHL and NHLPA to find a solution to these crappy contracts that some GMs like to give certain players.

Dustin16182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Sandwiches1123

Huet, like Nylander, would have to clear waivers and re-entry waivers in order to be loaned to a team in Europe. I can see him making waivers but for $2.7 million or so, I'd take a chance on him, even if I were the Nashville Predators or even Detroit Red Wings to screw Chicago into accepting the other half of Huet's salary. That would be funny.

Sandwiches1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:

Must not have watched Huet this year

Worst starting netminder in NHL , Only person to blame for Huet being on outs of NHl is Huet

If he would have played like an NHL caliber goalie we might have been able to trade him

Old
07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwiches1123 View Post
Huet, like Nylander, would have to clear waivers and re-entry waivers in order to be loaned to a team in Europe. I can see him making waivers but for $2.7 million or so, I'd take a chance on him, even if I were the Nashville Predators or even Detroit Red Wings to screw Chicago into accepting the other half of Huet's salary. That would be funny.
Hawks have no obligation to put Huet on re-entry waivers

Old
07-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin16182 View Post
Yea, it would be nice for the NHL and NHLPA to find a solution to these crappy contracts that some GMs like to give certain players.
If Huet doesn't like it he can forfeit his 11.5 million in coming salary and go thru unconditional waivers thus becoming a UFA (Sykora as example)

Old
07-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Honestly, if true, I'd like to see the next CBA address this issue. I.E., still counts against the cap. No disrespect to the hawks(work with what you got in the CBA), but being able to lend players overseas or in the minors kills the original intention of a salary cap.

You sign them, they count no matter where they play.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:36 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:

are we empathizing with the poor, rejected millionaire? Who will make his money whether or not he plays for the Hawks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin16182 View Post
Of course they could, get rid of the guaranteed contract. Lets see if the NHLPA will go for that because the NHL would be on that like a fat kid on a smartie. But the big market teams would exploit the hell out of that loophole.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Get a calculator, the Hawks can't dress a lineup with Huet on the team. It's inevitable.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:45 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Honestly, if true, I'd like to see the next CBA address this issue. I.E., still counts against the cap. No disrespect to the hawks(work with what you got in the CBA), but being able to lend players overseas or in the minors kills the original intention of a salary cap.

That's only if you view the intention of the cap as punishment for GM's, rather than a real accounting of what the team's using. The Hawks aren't getting any use out of him at the NHL level, he's not even on the roster, so why should he count towards their cap? It's their business if they want to waste a ton of real money to pay someone to play in Rockford or to pay them not to play for them at all (i.e. a loan).

The penalty/"punishment" here is that they are going to have to pay him a large amount of money (all or most of what's left, depending on if they can negotiate some compensation via a loan) and get no use out of him for it.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:11 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Actually this is pretty old news just being brought back out. Huet was interviewed over a week ago and said he already knew he was not in the Hawks plans moving forward (His agent and Stan Bowman spoke). He told the reporter he hoped to find a team in Europe to play with rather than have to play in Rockford (AHL).

Huet will not be on the Hawks cap the only question is where he will be playing.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:42 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
are we empathizing with the poor, rejected millionaire? Who will make his money whether or not he plays for the Hawks?
The empathy, or even sympathy, is not for the millionaire but for the poor, rejected young man who wants to pursue his dreams of playing in the NHL, and who wants to be given every opportunity to earn that opportunity.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:45 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post

They waive him

Its not like they are just sending him over. They will waive him, any team in the NHL can take him. If nobody does, they assign him to the AHL, and then loan him to Europe.

X8oD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:47 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
The empathy, or even sympathy, is not for the millionaire but for the poor, rejected young man who wants to pursue his dreams of playing in the NHL, and who wants to be given every opportunity to earn that opportunity.
He's not that young but I agree.

Huet is a tremendous person and a really decent goaltender. He was always bailing the Habs out and maybe it's all this extra pressure that's getting to him this year.

He was loved by his teammates too, back in Montreal.

Hip Hip Huet

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:52 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Moving Huet will have no effect on the salary cap until just before the start of the season.

It will not help their cap situation this off season. Haven't we already discussed this before about a month ago?

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote