HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Schultz re-signs, four years @ $2.75M per

Old
07-07-2010, 01:32 PM
exwhaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
It'd be helpful if there were a way to isolate the guys that had signed recently. Many of those that are better than Schultz were signed in a much tighter cap environment, so it doesn't surprise me and it doesn't really bother me either.
As a good example...Dan Hamhuis. He signed his 4-year, $2.5 million deal back in 2006-2007, after his first breakout season with 38 points and +11. That also was his best season in the NHL. Look what he got a few days ago four years later.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
EroCaps

Fair deal.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
According to my Caps mobile alert, Jeff Schultz lead the team in blocked shots last year.

That's depressing.
Jesus how many of those did he actually mean to block?

I'm fine with the deal hopefully 55 can continue to progress like he did this year.

NeilYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Not the biggest fan of his, but hopefully another year in the league improve him a bit... so 2.75 dont seem too bad...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Not the biggest fan of his, but hopefully another year in the league improve him a bit... so 2.75 dont seem too bad...
Yeah, I agree. He's not the best fit for the system, but this seems like a fair deal for him.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:07 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Sarge better give a % to Pierre McGuire, the way McGuire would rave about Sarge during the NBC broadcasts made me just a little uncomfortable, not that there's anything wrong with that.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
He's much more than a third pairing blueliner, but that's obviously my opinion versus yours. Tis a good deal, considering Schultz is only 24 and will get better. Hoped he would come in cheaper, but the combination of his league-leading +/- and the market prices this off-season probably pushed up his price.
even though you didnt direct this at me I have to ask......

what makes him "much more than a third pairing blueliner"?
- he is a fair , at best, skater
- not phyical at all, regardless of size.
- no offense
- a regular PKer on one of the worst PKs in the NHL over that last few seasons

so again, what makes him "much more" than a 3rd pairing guy

what sort of things will we see him get better at? He isnt all of a sudden going to be a good skater, play with an edge, or gain offensive instincts....at least I cant see it.

If he were on any other team would people here be saying "we gotta have that Schultz guy"

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

He is a positional defensive defenseman. He uses his reach, and his size, not to badger opponents physically, but to manage power forward types and corral them. He will likely be the Cap with the assignment to contain the likes of Byfuglien in the division. He isn't going to hit and he isn't going to score a lot of goals. Serviceable, workmanlike, defense-first. Fair first pass to trigger the transition.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Two of those are misleading. He doesn't have no offense; he has little offense, but is a decent passer. He also, for the little it is worth, is one of the best penalty-killers on one of the worst penalty-kills.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:25 PM
txpd

this is mcphee keeping his team together. if the caps get their playoff game together and win some rounds next season. this is going to look like a good deal. if they bank a cup in the next couple of seasons, its going to look like a steal.

If he is able to improve his game and keep that +/- number high, after playoff success he would be very hard to get signed at a reasonable number.

If on the other hand the playoff misery continues, this deal will not look so good at all.

Its McPhee locking in his team. With success the team looks good as safe. with more failure the team will look more trapped than safe.

Edit: This is probably also a look at Alzner's next contract.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:26 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
even though you didnt direct this at me I have to ask......

what makes him "much more than a third pairing blueliner"?
- he is a fair , at best, skater
- not phyical at all, regardless of size.
- no offense
- a regular PKer on one of the worst PKs in the NHL over that last few seasons

so again, what makes him "much more" than a 3rd pairing guy

what sort of things will we see him get better at? He isnt all of a sudden going to be a good skater, play with an edge, or gain offensive instincts....at least I cant see it.

If he were on any other team would people here be saying "we gotta have that Schultz guy"
That might help his case more than hurt it, as he's middle of the pack in terms of goals against/60 on the PK leaguewide, despite being close to the top in terms of quality of competition and (as you point out) playing on a team that is downright bad at the PK.

He's got good size, his positioning has tended to improve so far and probably still can (reasonable to expect him to generally improve his decision making as he gets older), he's shown a somewhat increased willingness to use his size (not as much as most here would hope, but it is there), he's gotten better at passing, especially those of the home-run variety.

He's probably not going to improve his skating or become all that nasty. That doesn't mean he won't improve. There's room for him to get better at what he already does and to steadily mix in a bit more of a strength game, and a bit more offense if only in the form of breakouts.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
He is a positional defensive defenseman. He uses his reach, and his size, not to badger opponents physically, but to manage power forward types and corral them. He will likely be the Cap with the assignment to contain the likes of Byfuglien in the division. He isn't going to hit and he isn't going to score a lot of goals. Serviceable, workmanlike, defense-first. Fair first pass to trigger the transition.
For a guy who uses "reach and size" he gets worked over along the boards and walked around in open ice way too much

he first pass is ok at best....he makes the occasional real nice pass pass but more times than that he passes in peoples skates or hard up the boards to no one, just out of the zone.

I know we disagree on him....I dont think he stinks at all but he is just average, and now his salary is not. You keep guys like Green, Carlson, even Alzner because they all have sometihng special about their game or their makeup as a player. Schultz on the other hand is Mr. Vanilla....and not in that "if we dont call his name he is doing his job" way

I think he is a poor fit for this team and should be moved

Old
07-07-2010, 03:35 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

What Sarge got infinitely better at this season was separating the man from the puck. Whenever that puck came into his reach. It was off the opponents stick about 95 of 100 (and yes those 5 sometimes stand out). And as others have mentioned, his passing is very underrated.

And for a LD on this team who's job is to accept the first pass from the RD and decide to up the puck or give it to Green he's very deft at making those decisions.

However:
-if he finally learns to take the opponent out after separating puck (and I don't mean kill him) he'll become a STRONG STRONG defensive player.

-if the damn team starts using its points more and we see more low-high passing all of our Dmen will have more even stregth chances. And for Sarge individually he needs to go back to using that half wind-up slapper.

-his skating and strength are still attorciously poor. Seriously now this is just individual "want to" to get better.

-his hockey sense in the Dzone is still subpar. Too many times he'll have inproper stick positioning or chase the guy behind the net opening up a cross crease pass. In addition this whole team, and Sarge in particular is just bad when it comes to odd man breaks. Too many times I've seen a Dman step up on a 3 on 2 and create a 2 on 1.... which is just.... dumb.

Soooooo there's room there. A lot of room. And IMHO if he doesn't improve he's still maybe slightly overpaid. If he increases his "rating" on any of those above as much as he did his stick checking this year he'll be a truly solid pair for Green and that +50 in future seasons will be a REAL +50.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:40 PM
dashtary*

Did anyone notice but towards the end of the season Green would start to give the puck to Schultz to take up and start the breakout behind the goal instead of himself? I assume it is showing more confidence in Schultz other than the fact that he has a good first pass.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:44 PM
C-A-P-S

It's a good deal. Can't really complain having one of your top 4 getting a shade under 3 million. Even if he needed to be traded the contract would not be prohibitive.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Too many people expect him to hit (he never will), carry the puck (he never will), score goals (he never will have more than four or five a season). That is not likely to change; stop expecting it to ever change, or to hinge hopes on these areas. They aren't his specialties.

Where there is healthy debate, and no real answer right now, is how well he is going to evolve as a defensive player. For a player with his focused role, it's not OK to get beat, it's not OK to have players blow by him too often, and this still happens from time to time. He's still growing as a NHL defenseman, and should be in his prime for the last couple of years of this deal. What he does have is the tool set to be very effective in this role, and players who can excel in this role are the sorts of players that the Caps need most right now.

Shrug. Here's hoping, but I like him. Too many fans make allowances for the development time needed for young goaltenders to come into their own, and forget that defensemen can need just as much time to blossom. It's not at all like scoring forwards. Schultz and Green both were drafted at a position in the 2004 draft where their defensive games should be taking a long time to develop. That is where you find projects, not prodigies, when it comes to playing defense.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:50 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Too many people expect him to hit (he never will), carry the puck (he never will), score goals (he never will have more than four or five a season). That is not likely to change; stop expecting it to ever change, or to hinge hopes on these areas. They aren't his specialties.

Where there is healthy debate, and no real answer right now, is how well he is going to evolve as a defensive player. For a player with his focused role, it's not OK to get beat, it's not OK to have players blow by him too often, and this still happens from time to time. He's still growing as a NHL defenseman, and should be in his prime for the last couple of years of this deal. What he does have is the tool set to be very effective in this role, and players who can excel in this role are the sorts of players that the Caps need most right now.

Shrug. Here's hoping, but I like him. Too many fans make allowances for the development time needed for young goaltenders to come into their own, and forget that defensemen can need just as much time to blossom. It's not at all like scoring forwards. Schultz and Green both were drafted at a position in the 2004 draft where their defensive games should be taking a long time to develop. That is where you find projects, not prodigies, when it comes to playing defense.
IMO for what Schultz lacks in flashiness/hitting (who really knows it could come he picked it up last year same with some scoring) he makes up for it with the hockey sense and smarts.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:52 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it's a fair deal. 4 years....lock up the core young guys.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'm one that doesn't care about whether he scores goals or hits.

There are a few things that bother the hell out of me about his game. He dwells on the puck along the boards in the defensive zone, allowing the forecheck to arrive and then often crumbles under the forechecking pressure. He does very little in the offensive zone other than dumping the puck into the corner, or passing to a forward on the half-wall. His windup/relase on his shot might be worse than his footspeed. There's no reason, playing on a pairing with Mike frakking Green, that he shouldn't be able to get shots past the forward line.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 07-07-2010 at 08:16 PM.
NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I can't let this "fair first pass" business go unaddressed. Schultzie is a horrible passer. He takes a very long time to make a pass which, by itself is usually enough to kill any transition -we have one of the worst transition games in the league and he's a contributing factor. When he does get a pass off it seems to end up behind the forward. You almost never see him hit a guy in stride. This is all exacerbated by the tightened play in the postseason -those bad passes turn into blueline turnovers, or at best, a back pass to the other dman.

He has one of the best homerun passes I've ever seen and they account for a fair bit of his offense. To give him credit for jumpstarting the offense through the neutral zone though, that's straight fiction.

I don't care that he's not physical and that he doesn't score goals. I care that he can't skate, can't make a decision quickly (poor hockey sense), and can't make a decent pass to the best offense in the NHL. I don't see that ever changing.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

BCF I could have written that post for you. I knew exactly what you'd say.

And yes I'd rather have Quincey

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I can't let this "fair first pass" business go unaddressed. Schultzie is a horrible passer. He takes a very long time to make a pass which, by itself is usually enough to kill any transition -we have one of the worst transition games in the league and he's a contributing factor. When he does get a pass off it seems to end up behind the forward. You almost never see him hit a guy in stride. This is all exacerbated by the tightened play in the postseason -those bad passes turn into blueline turnovers, or at best, a back pass to the other dman.

He has one of the best homerun passes I've ever seen and they account for a fair bit of his offense. To give him credit for jumpstarting the offense through the neutral zone though, that's straight fiction.

I don't care that he's not physical and that he doesn't score goals. I care that he can't skate, can't make a decision quickly (poor hockey sense), and can't make a decent pass to the best offense in the NHL. I don't see that ever changing.
This is pretty much spot on.....

just because he makes a couple nice long passes here and there I dont get how someone can call him a good passer. More times than not he rushes passes up the boards, to no one in particular.....or he hits a guy right in his skates, preventing any real flow on the rush.

Drake:

I think most of the people who are not fans of 55 arent expecting him to be a player he isnt. We get it....he wont be a hitter, or a skater, or an offensive minded player. Thats kind of it....he wont be any of those things that normally seperate you from the ho-hum players in the NHL......Mr. Vanilla he is

Old
07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
i2edAlien

Not bad. If he improves his physical play over the span of this coming season then he would be a steal... but even if he remains how he is, that's decent for a 2nd/3rd pairing guy.

i2edAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

im happy with it.

safe in washington
nice salary

lets blossom kid.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
And yes I'd rather have Quincey
FWIW Quincey will pull down $625k more the next two seasons. Not a huge difference but it's something.

Schultz is a player that was thrust into a great situation after the Mo/Green pairing fizzled and he didn't **** it up. Now he'll be well compensated as a result. If Alzner was more of a known quantity at the NHL level to this point I might have preferred one less year in this deal but he ought to be pretty well in his prime at that point.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote