HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opening night roster

Old
07-13-2010, 06:11 AM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
I assume that Tallon is not done tinkering with the roster. After the free agency dust settles, it would not be a surprise if the house cleaning continued. It would not be a surprise if any or all of Allen, McCabe, Stillman, Dvorak, Olesz and Reinprecht are not on the opening night roster.

Face it, we are not even trying to put a potential playoff caliber team on the ice. We lack a 1/2 center, both a 1 and 2 RW and 2 top pairing d-men. We are in full tank mode. Maybe, it is all for the best in the long term, but it is going to be painful to watch...

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
I assume that Tallon is not done tinkering with the roster. After the free agency dust settles, it would not be a surprise if the house cleaning continued. It would not be a surprise if any or all of Allen, McCabe, Stillman, Dvorak, Olesz and Reinprecht are not on the opening night roster.

Face it, we are not even trying to put a potential playoff caliber team on the ice. We lack a 1/2 center, both a 1 and 2 RW and 2 top pairing d-men. We are in full tank mode. Maybe, it is all for the best in the long term, but it is going to be painful to watch...
That's why I at least would like to sign McGrattan so we can see him go with the likes of Orr, Boogaard, Neil, Carkner, Godard, etc. You know, have some entertainment while we're losing. I don't mind losing for Couturier, just like to see some fights at least. Unfortunately, Pete just doesn't seem like the enforcer-carrying type.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:36 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post

I agree that there might be slight changes to the roster, but I think overall it's pretty much set. I guess I have a unique perspective on the upcoming season because I'm actually excited to see it unfold. We have a lot of young players with an upside and some players who are just straight-up wild-cards. I don't see us making the playoffs, but I'll be watching and it won't be painful for me.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Tranq

Booth-Weiss-Frolik
Higgins-Reino-Stillman
Olesz-Matthias-Dvorak
Bitz-Reasoner-Bernier

Grabner
McArdle
Repik
Dadonov
Duco

McCabe-Wideman
Allen-Kulikov
Ellerby Paetsch Garrison

Vokoun
Clemmer

I think our bottom six forwards are better than last year but the top six is weaker with the departure of Horton. Defense definitely looks weaker, I dont think Ellerby, paetsch or garrison will be given big minutes...at least get another veteran Dman, Tallon

Last edited by Tranq: 07-22-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Tranq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:54 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranq View Post
Booth-Weiss-Frolik
Higgins-Reino-Stillman
Olesz-Matthias-Dvorak
Bitz-Reasoner-Bernier

Grabner
McArdle
Repik
Dadonov
Duco

McCabe-Wideman
Allen-Kulikov
Ellerby Paetsch Garrison

Vokoun
Clemmer

I think our bottom six forwards are better than last year but the top six is obviously weaker because of Horton. Defense definitely looks weaker...at least get another veteran Dman, Tallon
I'm suprised you left grabner as an extra. Of any player on this roster im betting grabner is the one to have a huge breakout year. Ive watched him play in Vancouver and he makes david booth look slow on the ice; i think if he can get to the net he can easily put up 20. And I thought gudbranson would be starting as well.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 03:56 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Booth-Weiss-Frolik
Higgins-Reino-Stillman
Olesz-Matthias-Dvorak
Bitz-Reasoner-Bernier

Grabner
McArdle
Repik
Dadonov
Duco

McCabe-Wideman
Allen-Kulikov
Ellerby Paetsch Garrison

Vokoun
Clemmer

I think our bottom six forwards are better than last year but the top six is weaker with the departure of Horton. Defense definitely looks weaker, I dont think Ellerby, paetsch or garrison will be given big minutes...at least get another veteran Dman, Tallon
I dont think Grabner sits at all. His speed is going to be a vital part of our offense. He definitely should be considered on one of our top two lines. Also, Bernier and Higgins could equal Horton's goal output from last season. Add to that Grabner's abilities, and our offense is better than last year IMO.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Grabner's not going to sit, and Higgins will likely be on the 3rd line. Still think a trade or two is in the works.

07-22-2010, 04:37 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I dont think Grabner sits at all. His speed is going to be a vital part of our offense. He definitely should be considered on one of our top two lines. Also, Bernier and Higgins could equal Horton's goal output from last season. Add to that Grabner's abilities, and our offense is better than last year IMO.
I agree, Grabner should, and hopefully will get a top 6 role.

When we look back at this offseason, acquiring him could be a major move if he can pan out and become a consistent goalscorer in the NHL. I'd certainly rather see him over Stillman, as Grabner has a future with us while Stillman will be gone after next season.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Tranq

the guy hasn't even played a full NHL season yet he isnt going to be handed a roster spot over a veteran.

Old
07-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
the guy hasn't even played a full NHL season yet he isnt going to be handed a roster spot over a veteran.
He'll be on the roster.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Tranq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He'll be on the roster.
maybe as a sub for Byron Bitz

Old
07-22-2010, 04:51 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Wanna bet?
What I got from listening to Tallon is that the best players will earn the best roster spots period. It won't matter how old they are or what name is on the jersey.

Old
07-22-2010, 04:56 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
As I said earlier, I think there's a very good chance Grabner can outproduce Stillman. Stillman hasn't scored 20 goals in either of his seasons for us and Grabner could very well reach that.

Grabner is MUCH more important to this organization than Stillman is. I'd rather see him play than Stillman. Not to mention, Grabner is one of the fastest NHL skaters while Stillman got a lot slower after this past year.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Tranq

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Wanna bet?
What I got from listening to Tallon is that the best players will earn the best roster spots period. It won't matter how old they are or what name is on the jersey.
If he earns his spot in camp good for him but dont pencil him in yet.

I'll direct you here:

"In seven games, Grabner has picked up only three assists and that is simply not good enough for a top-six forward on a Canucks team that is full of depth when healthy."

"Grabner is a one-dimensional offensive player that cannot contribute defensively or play on the penalty kill, so what he gets five on five is what he will get all night; Grabner will not be getting power play time. Even with Demitra, Samuelsson, and Bernier out, it took injuries to Daniel Sedin and Alex Burrows before he even got a sniff on the power play."

"Grabner has a tremendous skill set, but he has not put up the points expected for a player of his calibre and he is too much of a wildcard to keep on the team. "

"Grabner can do great things, but this is a performance driven business and he has not performed statistically like a top-six forward or has he had a great game by any stretch of the imagination to warrant a spot on this team. Potential does not win playoff series.

http://forum.canucks.com/blog/29/ent...chael-grabner/

Last edited by Tranq: 07-22-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old
07-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
If he had been a Panthers prospect from the beginning, he'd be a veteran already.

Not his fault he was playing on a team stacked with talent.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:05 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Booth-Weiss-Frolik
Higgins-Matthias-Grabner
Olesz-Reino-Dvorak
Stillman-Reasoner-Bernier

Bitz
McArdle
Repik
Dadonov

Wideman-Kulikov
Allen-McCabe
Ellerby Paetsch Garrison

Vokoun
Clemmer

-Bitz/Repik as extra forwards. Puts the pressure on a guy like Olesz to play at a consistent level or he'll be benched on a semi nightly basis. We are not asking the world from Olesz (just have consistent shifts,cycle the puck effective with Dvo,kill penalties and pot the occasional goal or two).

-Stillman/Higgins are interchangable at 2nd or 4th line LW spots. I wish one of Stillman's or Reino's contract could be moved out sooner rather than later.

- Grabs can get some first line minutes over Frolik if he's on a hot streak

-With Reasoner on board, players can play in their positions now. Stillman,Olesz or Frolik can play full time on the wings now. An AHL. type player does not have to center our 3rd or 4th lines now.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Bunch of quotes from guys who aren't scouts. Further, if it wasn't for that teaming having Sedin, Burrows, Raymond and the other wingers on that team, Vancouver fans here have said in several places that he wouldn't have been moved. He'll have a chance here, and of course everyone will earn it, but I fully expect him to be on the roster.

Old
07-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Tranq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Bunch of quotes from guys who aren't scouts. Further, if it wasn't for that teaming having Sedin, Burrows, Raymond and the other wingers on that team, Vancouver fans here have said in several places that he wouldn't have been moved. He'll have a chance here, and of course everyone will earn it, but I fully expect him to be on the roster.
the quotes are all from one blogger on the canucks site. This is was before the trade obviously.

like I said earlier Grabner is still a rookie prospect who hasn't established himself yet. he isn't going to be handed a spot on our team even though we suck.

Old
07-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
the quotes are all from one blogger on the canucks site. This is was before the trade obviously.

like I said earlier Grabner is still a rookie prospect who hasn't established himself yet. he isn't going to be handed a spot on our team even though we suck.
Not sure what the shakeheady is all about...but I agree with the above. No one should be handed anything.

Old
07-22-2010, 05:56 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:

Yes, and if you read through all the comments to that blog you would see that most Canucks fans disagree with it and think the author is a *********.

I didn't say Grabner will be handed a spot. I believe he will earn a spot.

Old
07-22-2010, 05:58 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Really? I can't say d-bag on here?

Old
07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Tranq

although on the same blog the guy sez

"Grabner is turning 23 on October 5 at which point he will become waiver eligible.

The NHL schedule hasn't been released yet, so we don't know when training camp will end and when the regular season will start. If training camp doesn't end until after October 5, unless he completely sucks in training camp and gets cut early, he's pretty much will be here for the rest of the year because they Canucks won't waive him to get him down to the minors.

So next year, he probably will not spend another year in the minors, will try to push for a top six spot, if he can't get a top-six spot, he will spent a year in the bottom six.

I would say he's guaranteed a job unless he completely blows it, because of his waiver status."

http://forum.canucks.com/blog/29/ent...chael-grabner/

so he may just get a roster spot with us because we wouldnt want to lose him on waivers.

Old
07-22-2010, 08:42 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

I thought Grabner looked decent last season. Its not unreasonable to expect him to legitimately earn a spot here and be productive with increased ice time and responsibilities.

This season will be about the young guys, it will be fun to see how they progress. Deadline day should be fun as well with all the expiring contracts we have.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:43 PM
16Skippy

I'm sure Grabner will make the roster but to pencil him in as a top 6 guy when he hasn't even played a full season is a little hasty, no?

16Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2010, 08:56 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Skippy View Post
I'm sure Grabner will make the roster but to pencil him in as a top 6 guy when he hasn't even played a full season is a little hasty, no?
Agreed.