HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expansion draft (hypothetical)

Old
07-06-2010, 12:37 PM
lstcyr

vCash: 500
Expansion draft (hypothetical)

Was reading a story about potential Canadian expansion and was wondering who we would protect if there were two expansion franchises and a draft.

Here are the rules from 2000 (compliments of Wikipedia): 26 of the 28 teams existing in the league at the time of the draft were each allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.

For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected. For teams protecting two goaltenders, each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the 1999–2000 season or 25 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. A goaltender had to be in net for at least 31 minutes in each game for the game to be counted against these totals.

At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined. At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.

Use our existing roster: Belak, Dumont, Erat, Goc, Halischuk, Hornqvist, Kostitsyn, Legwand, Lombardi, O'Reilly, Smithson, Spaling, Sullivan, Tootoo, Ward, Wilson along with Bouillon, Franson, Klein, Parent, Sulzer, Suter, Weber and Rinne.

Post who you would keep and who you think would be picked first from us. Mine is in the next post.

lstcyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 12:40 PM
lstcyr

Protect:
Rinne
Weber, Suter, Franson, Bouillon, Klein
Wilson, Hornqvist, Lombardi, Legwand, Erat, Dumont, Ward, Kostitsyn, Spaling
(making a calculated risk that no one would take Sullivan due to age)

chosen first from us: Goc

Old
07-06-2010, 01:05 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
agree with your list except protect tootoo for PR purposes. he can take wards spot. Ward, Goc and Sully will be UFAs this summer anyway so they would only need protecting if we re-sign them before any hypothetical expansion draft, which would occur before july 1st. if one of them gets picked, all he has to do is wait until july 1 and become a UFA again and we can re-sign him.

when we had our expansion draft they still gave comp picks for lost UFAs which is why we drafted gys like Richter, knowing he wouldnt sign with us... now they dont do that so no pending UFA would be at risk. which is why they will likely have different rules.

good news is you can only lose one player.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:15 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Knowing Poile, he would trade the expiring rights to Sullivan for the first pick in the expansion draft.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:47 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
agree with your list except protect tootoo for PR purposes. he can take wards spot. Ward, Goc and Sully will be UFAs this summer anyway so they would only need protecting if we re-sign them before any hypothetical expansion draft, which would occur before july 1st. if one of them gets picked, all he has to do is wait until july 1 and become a UFA again and we can re-sign him.
I made my list assuming the draft would be today so I didn't take into account next year's UFAs. Thought about Tootoo and almost included him for the same reason as you stated but then I went ahead without him. Assuming we only lose one player, would it really be Tootoo??

Old
07-06-2010, 01:52 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I made my list assuming the draft would be today so I didn't take into account next year's UFAs. Thought about Tootoo and almost included him for the same reason as you stated but then I went ahead without him. Assuming we only lose one player, would it really be Tootoo??

probably not but depends on the mindset of the expansion team.. hes a canadian native american so would be a big PR boost up there too

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:55 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
You have to realize expansion teams usually suck so the entertainment factor would need to be high and Tootoo brings that if he's off his leash and allowed to check, reek havoc and fight.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:18 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Protect:
Rinne
Weber, Suter, Franson, Bouillon, Klein
Wilson, Hornqvist, Lombardi, Legwand, Erat, Dumont, Ward, Kostitsyn, Spaling
(making a calculated risk that no one would take Sullivan due to age)

chosen first from us: Goc
tough to make the call on franson and parent for me at this point. overall agree with list though. would hate to lose goc though. it would be interesting to see if someone would take sully though. think he has another couple years in him, especially as a leader on an expansion team.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 02:21 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Rinne
Weber, Suter, Bouillon, Franson, Klein
Dumont, Erat, Hornqvist, Legwand, Lombardi, Halischuk, Wilson, Ward, Kostitsyn

So that leaves:

Sullivan
Belak
O'Reilly
Smithson
Spaling
Goc
Tootoo
Sulzer
Parent

I'd be ecstatic if an expansion team got us out from under Tootoo's contract, and O'Reilly probably needs expansion to get a chance to show what he can do in a full-time scoring role.

Poile has done some crazy stuff to avoid having players selected in the expansion draft. In fact, as GM of the Capitals, Poile once signed 40-year-old Bernie Wolfe, who had been retired since 1979, to protect his other two goaltenders in the expansion draft in 1992.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 07-06-2010 at 02:36 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
Rinne
Weber, Suter, Parent, Franson, Klein
Dumont, Erat, Hornqvist, Legwand, Lombardi, Tootoo, Wilson, Ward, Kostitsyn

First person I think would be take would be either Sullivan, Goc, or Bullion.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:31 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Rinne
Weber, Suter, Bouillon, Franson, Klein
Dumont, Erat, Hornqvist, Legwand, Lombardi, Halischuk, Wilson, Ward, Kostitsyn

So that leaves:

Sullivan
Belak
O'Reilly
Smithson
Spaling
Goc
Tootoo
Sulzer
Parent

I'd be ecstatic if an expansion team got us out from under Tootoo's contract, and O'Reilly probably needs expansion to get a chance to show what he can do in a full-time scoring role.

Poile has done some crazy stuff to avoid having players selected in the expansion draft. In fact, as GM of the Capitals, Poile once signed 40-year-old Bernie Wolfe, who had been retired since 1979, to protect his other two goaltenders in the expansion draft in 1992.
LOL, oh Poile, that's classic!

Without knowing who else would be available from other teams, I think Sullivan and Tootoo would be very attractive to an expansion franchise. Tootoo because he immediately brings a physical presence who isn't afraid to fight but isn't completely useless on the ice, and of course would bring an instant marketability factor. Sullivan because he's exactly the kind of experienced, heart-and-soul type that can be the glue to build chemistry from a team of strangers who are underdogs.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:44 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Goalie: Rinne
Defensemen: Weber, Suter, Klein, Parent, Franson
Forwards: Hornqvist, Lombardi, Legwand, Sullivan, Ward, Kostitsyn, Goc, Wilson, Spaling

Exposing Bouillon, Dumont, Tootoo and Erat among others (with the latter two having what I consider as bad contracts).

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote