HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Ribeiro to NYI

Old
07-07-2010, 05:42 PM
JesusNPucks

vCash: 500
Mike Ribeiro to NYI

I thought I would put this out there to see what kind of responses I would get. I think DAL and NYI might be able to work something out to the benefit of both teams. My rationale for doing this is as follows:
  1. NYI are well-below the cap floor. (I've read about $9-10M)
  2. DAL has a glut at the center position.
  3. DAL needs to move Ribeiro's contract in order to sign RFA's and/or upgrade at defense.
With that said, what do you think would be adequate return for Ribeiro to NYI. You guys fill in the blank:

to DAL
?

to NYI
Ribeiro (3 years / $5M per)

Last edited by JesusNPucks: 07-07-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread Title
JesusNPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:50 PM
CodeE

Trent Hunter, Aaron Ness, and a pick. Rob Schremp if you're interested.

Islanders don't have many attractive assets on the team that we'd be willing to give up. We've got quite a few defensive prospects though and Aaron Ness (40th overall, 2008) should carry some value.

Hunter should contribute well at RW for $3 million cheaper than Ribeiro.

CodeE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:52 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusNPucks View Post
I thought I would put this out there to see what kind of responses I would get. I think DAL and NYI might be able to work something out to the benefit of both teams. My rationale for doing this is as follows:
  1. NYI are well-below the cap floor. (I've read about $9-10M)
  2. DAL has a glut at the center position.
  3. DAL needs to move Ribeiro's contract in order to sign RFA's and/or upgrade at defense.
With that said, what do you think would be adequate return for Ribeiro to NYI. You guys fill in the blank:

to DAL
?

to NYI
Ribeiro (3 years / $5M per)
There was a rumor from a fan who usually doesn't post bs,that the isles rejected a Roloson to Philly deal because Philly was trying to salary dump Briere on them.

The isles don't need more small forwards.Especially highly paid,small forwards.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:54 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisacodee View Post

Islanders don't have many attractive assets on the team that we'd be willing to give up. We've got quite a few defensive prospects though and Aaron Ness (40th overall, 2008) should carry some value.

Isles would not trade the 6'3 Hunter for the smaller,less physical Ribeiro imo.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Mustang2750

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Isles would not trade the 6'3 Hunter for the smaller,less physical Ribeiro imo.
Because we are retarded.

Hunter is the worst player on our team I would give him up for a bag of pucks and and endless supply of Taco Bell. Ribiero would be a steal.

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I'd love to see the Stars get Streit or Okposo (in a bigger deal, of course) from the Isles, but the price would probably be too much for Nieuwendyk to afford.

07-07-2010, 06:00 PM
leafmon

Looks like a good fit to me but it would be one of these new stlye "soft deals" where the best thing in it for Dallas will be the loss of his contract.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:06 PM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisacodee View Post

Your proposal actually isn't too bad IMHO. The fine tuning of it would need to be worked out, but it isn't bad. And, I think Trent Hunter's contract is only $2M, so that is even better. Yeah, I am guessing it would be built around Hunter + picks/prospects. Either that, or Dallas adds to try and get Streit, but I doubt that happens.

Old
07-07-2010, 06:07 PM
seanlinden

Any deal that involves Ribeiro going anywhere with minimal salary coming back is going to be a "soft deal"....

That being said, it doesn't seem to make sense for the Islanders to spend $5m this season on another centre. They'll have a choice of salary dumps to take on, and with Tavares + Bailey + Nielsen + Konopka + Weight at centre, there isn't much incentive for them to take on a centre. They should be looking for a salary dump at LW or on the blueline.

Ribeiro to Columbus for Vermette does make a little bit of sense....

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:16 PM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
There was a rumor from a fan who usually doesn't post bs,that the isles rejected a Roloson to Philly deal because Philly was trying to salary dump Briere on them.

The isles don't need more small forwards.Especially highly paid,small forwards.
I'm sure Briere would have definitely waived his NMC to go to the Islanders. Why wouldn't he?

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:24 PM
denkiteki

Cap floor can be reached with UFA... or they could just take someone like Michael Nylander... less actual money spent, 1 year contract and no assets to give up.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:31 PM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Cap floor can be reached with UFA... or they could just take someone like Michael Nylander... less actual money spent, 1 year contract and no assets to give up.
Fair enough, but Ribeiro is no "small potatoes." He is a PPG player over the past three seasons. So, it's not as if Dallas is dumping an old, declining, overpaid player, as is the case with Nylander.

Old
07-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Caseman

Or the Stars could keep Ribeiro and wait until the team acquires new ownership

I like that one

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
mike ribeiro is definitely talented and i doubt they pass up on him just because he is small but i dont think they will trade for him.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:35 PM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Or the Stars could keep Ribeiro and wait until the team acquires new ownership

I like that one
I would argue against that because Ribeiro doesn't fit the current system, still has good trade value, and dollars spent on him could be used more effectively elsewhere. JMHO.

Old
07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusNPucks View Post
I would argue against that because Ribeiro doesn't fit the current system, still has good trade value, and dollars spent on him could be used more effectively elsewhere. JMHO.
Then trade him after new ownership. Right now, any trade will be more wary of salary than talent. You won't get the full dollar for what you think Ribeiro is worth.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Although Ribeiro certainly has his skills and attributes, I don't know how he'd be of interest to an Islander team that currently features Tavares, Bailey, Nielsen, Weight and Konopka down the middle. We're lacking size there and even though Konopka is more of a roughian element and Nielsen is a two-way center, the others are skill players and we're lacking the guys who can physically handle and defend agains the many teams in this conference who are good up the middle.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
JesusNPucks

Quote:
Then trade him after new ownership. Right now, any trade will be more wary of salary than talent. You won't get the full dollar for what you think Ribeiro is worth.
Touche. Well said.

Old
07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Exactly....there aren't a lot of teams looking to add a $5m centre with a 3-year contract.....regardless of the fact that Ribeiro is worth $5m easily.

Old
07-07-2010, 06:50 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I'd love to see the Stars get Streit or Okposo (in a bigger deal, of course) from the Isles, but the price would probably be too much for Nieuwendyk to afford.
Ya, I don't think the Isles would give up either of them for anything less then a massive overpayment. Okposo is cheap, and a great player. Streit is signed to a great contract, is the only top pairing defenseman the Isles have, can play in all situations, and is a great leader (just look what he always does as captain of the Swiss). The Isles have no reason to move any of Tavares, Okposo, Streit, or Bailey.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:52 PM
john skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Any deal that involves Ribeiro going anywhere with minimal salary coming back is going to be a "soft deal"....

That being said, it doesn't seem to make sense for the Islanders to spend $5m this season on another centre. They'll have a choice of salary dumps to take on, and with Tavares + Bailey + Nielsen + Konopka + Weight at centre
Yeah I'm not saying the Stars could get someone to take all of Ribeiro's contract nothing coming back, but he has some trade value. He's not a salary dump.

Which would have made him your best center last year. And probably your 2nd best this upcoming season.

john skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:53 PM
john skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4morecups View Post
The Isles have no reason to move any of Tavares, Okposo, Streit, or Bailey.
Ain't that the truth.

john skull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:57 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by john skull View Post
Yeah I'm not saying the Stars could get someone to take all of Ribeiro's contract nothing coming back, but he has some trade value. He's not a salary dump.

Which would have made him your best center last year. And probably your 2nd best this upcoming season.
Ribeiro would be the Isles best centre right now, but they're rebuilding and are going to give that ice time to Tavares & Bailey.

Old
07-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Although Ribeiro certainly has his skills and attributes, I don't know how he'd be of interest to an Islander team that currently features Tavares, Bailey, Nielsen, Weight and Konopka down the middle. We're lacking size there and even though Konopka is more of a roughian element and Nielsen is a two-way center, the others are skill players and we're lacking the guys who can physically handle and defend agains the many teams in this conference who are good up the middle.
schremp is a center too

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Ribeiro would be the Isles best centre right now, but they're rebuilding and are going to give that ice time to Tavares & Bailey.
I don't know about that, I think Tavares will be the better of the 2 players this season. The kid had over 50 points in just his first season, while hitting the rookie wall, I think he could easily be good for 70+ points this year. Both should have good seasons though.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote