HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats the story w/ RJ Umberger?

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2004, 01:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
All I can say about this whole matter is these guys making these calls had better be right because if there is one thing we need above all else for the future it's a center with size that has top 2 line upside potential so to potentially let one of these guys slip through your fingers when you own his rights over a couple of hundred grand then they better damn well be sure that this kid won't cut it otherwise it can be a disaster in the making.

To me I'd probrably give the kid the benefit of the doubt as I think his contract negotiating got him raked over the coals character wise when it may not be an accurate description.

I'd sign the kid and if things don't work out you move him or fail to qualify him next time around.What would be lost besides some $$$$ and why not take the chance on a kid as oppossed to a 31 yr old UFA???
RJ Umberger is reportedly asking for the maximum figure of $1.13 million

Cam Ward,the 25th pick in the 2002,who is a better prospect than Umberger signed a three year deal for less than max money

3 years-$2.575 million

$775,000 signing bonus

$500,000
$600,000
$700,000

Ward could have re-entered the draft and been selected higher in next month's draft to get more money than Carolina was offering

Would Umberger sign for that money?

Vancouver offered him a little more money than Carolina gave Ward.He should have taken the Canucks offer

It will be interesting see if Buffalo signs Daniel Paille and what they give him

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmont...27/474845.html

Ward, drafted 25th by Carolina from the Red Deer Rebels of the WHL in 2002, signed a three-year pact with the Hurricanes two weeks ago worth $2.575 million.

Named MVP and WHL goaltender of the year with a 31-16-8 record, a 2.05 goals-against average and .921 saves percentage, Ward got $775,000 as a signing bonus. The salary breakdown of his contract is $500,000, $600,000 and $700,000.

Old
05-28-2004, 02:32 PM
JR#9*

Again, with the NYR's resources and the way we've blown money it always kills me when guys start worrying about nickel and diming prospects over a couple of hundred grand.

I've never seen the kid play so I'm not going to say he is a lock to do anything BUT the kid has all the tools including size and skill and he plays the position we are by far thinnest at for the future--a 1st-2nd line center w/size--- and all the knocks seem to be about character all linking back to his contract holdout and as we all should know guys get unfairly painted in such situations and this may very well be the case here.

The NYR's brass wants to pass on them--fine, all I'm saying is you had better be right because to let a kid with this package go at the stage of the game that we are at it would be a debacle if they let him walk and he becomes that 1st-2nd line center with size and skill that we so desperately need.

Old
05-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Again, with the NYR's resources and the way we've blown money it always kills me when guys start worrying about nickel and diming prospects over a couple of hundred grand.
i guess we can all just hope to god this is a sign of the rangers turning over a new leaf? maybe the years of throwing money at people and expecting greatness is over? we can only hope

Old
05-28-2004, 05:41 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shirt
i guess we can all just hope to god this is a sign of the rangers turning over a new leaf? maybe the years of throwing money at people and expecting greatness is over? we can only hope
Sather has always nickel and dimed the younger players. He only believes in throwing globs of money at players over 30.

Old
05-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Sather has always nickel and dimed the younger players. He only believes in throwing globs of money at players over 30.
come on if somebody isn't worth the money why sign him? if the rangers aren't high on him why sign him? if the kid has no heart why sign him? you have zero argument.

Old
05-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
come on if somebody isn't worth the money why sign him? if the rangers aren't high on him why sign him? if the kid has no heart why sign him? you have zero argument.
I was talking in general, not specifically about any one particular player. It has been Sather's method to squeeze the players who have no leverage (other than to hold out or play somewhere else), while throwing money at "proven" veterans. Or are you suggesting otherwise?

Old
05-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I was talking in general, not specifically about any one particular player. It has been Sather's method to squeeze the players who have no leverage (other than to hold out or play somewhere else), while throwing money at "proven" veterans. Or are you suggesting otherwise?
i'm talking about umberger. it is every gms method to "squeeze" the players with no leverage. who has held out? what young guy has left here to bite sather in the ass?

Old
05-28-2004, 07:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:

I've never seen the kid play so I'm not going to say he is a lock to do anything BUT the kid has all the tools including size and skill and he plays the position we are by far thinnest at for the future--a 1st-2nd line center w/size--- and all the knocks seem to be about character all linking back to his contract holdout and as we all should know guys get unfairly painted in such situations and this may very well be the case here.
That has been my point all along. Sign the kid. So what if you make a mistake and are wrong about him? It's not like making a mistake with a 33 year old player signed to a $7m salary. You make a mistake with a player whose salary would be around $1m (or is it less?). This is not a huge risk. This would be a well-worthwhle risk. Not like the org is stocked with playes who have top 2 line potential.

Old
05-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Bure9*

Anybody think that maybe Umberger isn't being signed because he's included in a deal to the Pens for the number 2 pick? He's willing to give them a hometown discount so it wouldn't make sense for the Rangers to sign him at a higher price and then for the Pens to make the trade for him.

Old
05-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure9
Anybody think that maybe Umberger isn't being signed because he's included in a deal to the Pens for the number 2 pick? He's willing to give them a hometown discount so it wouldn't make sense for the Rangers to sign him at a higher price and then for the Pens to make the trade for him.
maybe

Old
05-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
I'm pretty sure that we can't do the give-him-up-for-a-second-then-sign-him-as-free-agent trick. I think it would be considered bad-faith and we'd probably be sanctioned for it. I think one team did something like that once, but it was only after all the other teams passed on his asking price and he signed for bottom dollar. In other words, you need good faith. You can't game the system like that.

Anyway, I disagree with the notion that we should just give him what he wants and forget about it because we have the money. For one thing, salary affects trade value down the road. For another thing, we want to reverse the trend of the Rangers being seen as a place where someone can get paid more than market value and then semi-retire. For a third thing, salaries are starting to decline, and I think we will see a precipitous decline in what players are worth across the board in the next few years. We may even see a hard or soft cap. Having overpaid people in the system will then hurt us severely.

I think if Umberger insists on the rookie maximum, and if we're not positive that he's a bluechipper, we're better off with the second round pick.

Old
05-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
I'm pretty sure that we can't do the give-him-up-for-a-second-then-sign-him-as-free-agent trick. I think it would be considered bad-faith and we'd probably be sanctioned for it. I think one team did something like that once, but it was only after all the other teams passed on his asking price and he signed for bottom dollar. In other words, you need good faith. You can't game the system like that.

Anyway, I disagree with the notion that we should just give him what he wants and forget about it because we have the money. For one thing, salary affects trade value down the road. For another thing, we want to reverse the trend of the Rangers being seen as a place where someone can get paid more than market value and then semi-retire. For a third thing, salaries are starting to decline, and I think we will see a precipitous decline in what players are worth across the board in the next few years. We may even see a hard or soft cap. Having overpaid people in the system will then hurt us severely.

I think if Umberger insists on the rookie maximum, and if we're not positive that he's a bluechipper, we're better off with the second round pick.
it is legal as long as there was no prior agreement between the 2 parties.

Old
05-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Do you have a source on that?

Old
05-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
That has been my point all along. Sign the kid. So what if you make a mistake and are wrong about him? It's not like making a mistake with a 33 year old player signed to a $7m salary. You make a mistake with a player whose salary would be around $1m (or is it less?). This is not a huge risk. This would be a well-worthwhle risk. Not like the org is stocked with playes who have top 2 line potential.
a bad seed is a bad seed. having someone with an additude in a young lockerroom cant be viewed as a good thing. i know the rangers waste money so that makes it ok... blah blah blah blah

Old
05-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Do you have a source on that?
no it was a long time ago, maybe someone else has the link.

Old
05-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
i'm talking about umberger. it is every gms method to "squeeze" the players with no leverage. who has held out? what young guy has left here to bite sather in the ass?
And the players Sather gathered together played such inspiring hockey for the last 4 years :lol

I'd rather have taken a chance with some hasn't been kid than an over the hill or never been veteran. There are a number of players who Sather nickel and dimed who are contributing to other organizations. Some of them even helped their teams reach the playoffs and win a few games.

Old
05-28-2004, 10:30 PM
free0717

Quote:

Didnt the Blackhawks do that last year? i dont know the player but I think they signed there own draft pick after June 1 and recieved the compensatory pick. It is legal as long as a verbal agreement did not exist prior to June 1.

Old
05-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
And the players Sather gathered together played such inspiring hockey for the last 4 years :lol

I'd rather have taken a chance with some hasn't been kid than an over the hill or never been veteran. There are a number of players who Sather nickel and dimed who are contributing to other organizations. Some of them even helped their teams reach the playoffs and win a few games.
hmm what young players?

Old
05-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
hmm what young players?
I think you've been around here long enough to know the list.

Old
05-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I think you've been around here long enough to know the list.
perhaps my memory isn't that good?

Old
05-29-2004, 01:35 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I would never suggest that!

Old
05-29-2004, 01:37 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
I'm not sure what this thread has to do with the current conversation, much less the price of tea in China.

Old
05-29-2004, 03:40 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Zidlicky
Ekman
Pisa
are the first to come to mind.

Old
05-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27
Zidlicky
Ekman
Pisa
are the first to come to mind.
ekman we traded for wiseman who could be better in the long run. we didn't trade ekman for a 35 year old over the hill veteran.

zidlicky we traded for dunham. zidlicky didn't want to play with a two way contract. if the rangers had signed him to a one way contract and he sucked there would be threads about that. should we have traded him? no but he isn't exactly a future hall of famer.

pisa :lol :lol :lol

mr sather and the scouting staff have done a great job of restocking a system that had almost nobody when he got here.

Old
05-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Barnaby

One thing Sather has done is hold onto his better prospects. He may deal picks or Mike York, but he usually holds onto his better prospects.

Ekman - could have been a decent 2nd line winger
Zidlicky - We need another O D-man?
Pisa - 7th d-man anyway
Kloucek - has done nothing
Novak - has done nothing

He traded 2 decent players, and garbage. Not too bad from over here.

Closed Thread