Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Development Camp

Old
07-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

vCash: 500
Yeah with him already committed to playing in the Fin league again this year, I don't see it as a big deal missing camp this year. I was just wondering.

I noticed the new German kid we just signed is going to be there, even tho he is going to play in Germany again this season. So it made me wonder.

I'm sure Granlund being drafted #1 has something to do with it also. he knows his shot at making the team in the future is almost a lock. aka Sheppard if he continues to make the team, of course Granlund will, lol.

Where this German kid is still a bit of an enigma and still needs to do some proving hes the real deal. And can't afford saying naw I don't wanna come to camp.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Wild Profiles: Justin Fontaine

Some of you Minnesota fans might be more familiar with Justin Fontaine than any other invitee to the Wild Developmental Camp. The 5-11 175lbs right winger from Bonnyville, Alberta plays for the University of Minnesota Duluth.

Fontaine remains a current college free agent and has been the UMD Bulldog's second leading scorer for the past two seasons. The undrafted senior will be getting alot of attention from scouts, but will give the Minnesota Wild the first look at developmental camp.

Key Stats 09-10
U. of Minnesota-Duluth Regular Season 39Games 21Goals 25Assists 22PIM

What He Did
After an fairly good freshman year where he scored 12 points in 35 games, he became the teams second leading scorer in his sophomore and junior year with 48 and 46 points respectively. He was named onto the All-WCHA second team for the 2008-09 and the 2009-10 season. He also won the team's Rookie of the Year award.

Scouts Comments
HockeysFuture - DJ Powers
Fontaine is a small (5’11/175) forward with great hands and finishing ability. He possesses a knack for scoring timely goals. One of Fontaine’s best assets is his play around the net. He is not afraid to go into high traffic areas to make plays and many of his goals are often scored on deflections or off rebounds. His ability to read plays is also quite good.

westernhockeyleagueblog.com (2009)
Fontaine may be a slight notch behind the first two names (Chay Genoway and Marc Cheverie), but not by much. He's easily the most dynamic offensive force in the league. His 7 goals lead the nation, and it wouldn't be a shock to see him win the WCHA scoring title this season.

Future
Definately interesting invitee. Unlike the junior invitees where I'm not sure if we can sign them or not, Fontaine is definately attainable. He is considered one of the top college free agents and for him to be at the Wild developmental camp makes me feel quite optimistic, espicially since we have shown not be afraid to sign college free agents (Wellman, Prosser, Palmer).

Sources:
*Hockeysfuture - Ten free agent collegians gaining NHL interest
*WCHA Blog - Who is the WCHA's Best Player?

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

And I know these short pieces make them sound better than they are but I think the trick is to think, if its not mentioned as a strength, its probably a weakness. Thats what I do...

I just imagine that the skillset that is mention as a strength is all he has. I won't assume he has more than what is said. So if skating isn't mentioned as a strength, I just assume he's just an average skater at his level...

Old
07-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
And I know these short pieces make them sound better than they are but I think the trick is to think, if its not mentioned as a strength, its probably a weakness. Thats what I do...

I just imagine that the skillset that is mention as a strength is all he has. I won't assume he has more than what is said. So if skating isn't mentioned as a strength, I just assume he's just an average skater at his level...
I love your little blogs on each of these players. Fun stuff to read. I'm just shocked at your ability to have a pulse at all on these kids, and the team itself when your way over in Singapore.

Keep up the good work friend!

Old
07-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
I love your little blogs on each of these players. Fun stuff to read. I'm just shocked at your ability to have a pulse at all on these kids, and the team itself when your way over in Singapore.

Keep up the good work friend!
Well, I'll be honest, I don't exactly have a 1st hand look at any of these guys, thats what I get really excited for the WJC and the open scrimmage where I get to watch em' over the internet. I just read alot and then put all those ideas and form my own conclusion. But I'll never say "This guy is going to be a 1st liner for sure!" cause I don't know that. I just do what you guys do, read what I can online, but then I try to put it into an easy-to-read format so people don't have to do what I do during my spare time (which is actually worktime from 9am-6pm, longstory but I don't work during worktime...), reading through 4-5 different articles online on one guy...

Old
07-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Well for what it's worth I get to see that Justin Fontaine kid alot, as he plays for UMD which is in my hometown here, and yeah the kid is pretty damn good.

You never know if he is NHL material tho. Not until he is given the chance. There is such a leap in talent from college to the pros. I've seen some other kids leave here we all thought for sure would become a star, and they never even get out of the minors hardly, if at all.

Old
07-09-2010, 12:13 PM
urho

vCash: 695
Also, Granlund had a small surgery at the end of the season, that might have something to do with him missing the camp.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:19 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
So on Sunday the 18th they are having the Public Prospect Exhibition game, right?

Just want to confirm, because a few friends and I want to go. Does anybody know how much it will cost(if any?) to get into the Xcel?

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:35 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
The scrimmage on the 18th is FREE to the public.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Fighting Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Nice. I'll be there.

Fighting Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:51 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
(which is actually worktime from 9am-6pm, longstory but I don't work during worktime...),
good gig if you can get it...

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:54 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Wild Profiles: Justin Fontaine

Some of you Minnesota fans might be more familiar with Justin Fontaine than any other invitee to the Wild Developmental Camp. The 5-11 175lbs right winger from Bonnyville, Alberta plays for the University of Minnesota Duluth.

Fontaine remains a current college free agent and has been the UMD Bulldog's second leading scorer for the past two seasons. The undrafted senior will be getting alot of attention from scouts, but will give the Minnesota Wild the first look at developmental camp.

Key Stats 09-10
U. of Minnesota-Duluth Regular Season 39Games 21Goals 25Assists 22PIM

What He Did
After an fairly good freshman year where he scored 12 points in 35 games, he became the teams second leading scorer in his sophomore and junior year with 48 and 46 points respectively. He was named onto the All-WCHA second team for the 2008-09 and the 2009-10 season. He also won the team's Rookie of the Year award.

Scouts Comments
HockeysFuture - DJ Powers
Fontaine is a small (5’11/175) forward with great hands and finishing ability. He possesses a knack for scoring timely goals. One of Fontaine’s best assets is his play around the net. He is not afraid to go into high traffic areas to make plays and many of his goals are often scored on deflections or off rebounds. His ability to read plays is also quite good.

westernhockeyleagueblog.com (2009)
Fontaine may be a slight notch behind the first two names (Chay Genoway and Marc Cheverie), but not by much. He's easily the most dynamic offensive force in the league. His 7 goals lead the nation, and it wouldn't be a shock to see him win the WCHA scoring title this season.

Future
Definately interesting invitee. Unlike the junior invitees where I'm not sure if we can sign them or not, Fontaine is definately attainable. He is considered one of the top college free agents and for him to be at the Wild developmental camp makes me feel quite optimistic, espicially since we have shown not be afraid to sign college free agents (Wellman, Prosser, Palmer).

Sources:
*Hockeysfuture - Ten free agent collegians gaining NHL interest
*WCHA Blog - Who is the WCHA's Best Player?
I'm going to be a little upset if Minnesota (or any team for that matter) signs him prior to the end of his UMD career!

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Girlfriend's going to be out of town, hopefully the kid will be at his grandma's, I'm going to be drinking at the Fireman's tourney next Saturday, sounds like the perfect way to start Sunday (after a nice Perkins breakfast of course).

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:47 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I broke my ankle over the weekend so it sounds like I won't be going to this anymore.

All those steps seems a bit daunting right now...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

When did they put the ice back in the X?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:20 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I broke my ankle over the weekend so it sounds like I won't be going to this anymore.

Ouch - sorry to hear that.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:45 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Ouch - sorry to hear that.
Ya, it's not too fun. Got a huge immobilizer boot and all; just clunking around everywhere. I did get 40 pills of vicodin and can get a refill in a few days, though, so life's good right now away from work...

Old
07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:

How'd it happen twinkletoes?

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:59 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:

OUCH! Sorry to hear that! You know, you don't HAVE to go down to the glass... the steps can still be avoided.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:00 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
When did they put the ice back in the X?
I'm sure they're putting ice down right now (or else did so within the last week)... and I'm sure after development camp it will be gone again until September.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:07 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
How'd it happen twinkletoes?
Drunken ultimate frisbee. Jumped up and caught the frisbee, came down and landed on someone elses ankle, and mangled mine in the process. Riveting story, I know. Wish I could have something a bit cooler sounding to tell people other than a crappy frisbee accident...

Quote:
OUCH! Sorry to hear that! You know, you don't HAVE to go down to the glass... the steps can still be avoided.
Ya, but there's enough steps and people in the building that will make it a bit difficult to move around with my monster boot and crutches. I'm sort of enjoying being at home with the fiance and not having to move while telling her what I want while being oblivious to pain and what not from the vicodin.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:12 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

They gave you vicodin? You're getting ripped off! When I shattered my wrist a few years ago I got percocet! Much better stuff!

Old
07-12-2010, 09:20 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Ya, it does it's job well enough so far. The pain isn't that bad but I made it seem worse than it was so I could get something...

In high school I broke both bones in my arm near my wrist in hockey. It was pretty severe and they had me on percocet. It doesn't seem like it's that drastic of a difference and they really wouldn't give me much of it back then (must be because of my age thinking I'd abuse/sell it). I was actually surprised by how much vicodin the doctor gave me for this ankle injury initially and I can even go get another refill of 40 more pills. *shrugs

Old
07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Ya, it does it's job well enough so far. The pain isn't that bad but I made it seem worse than it was so I could get something...

In high school I broke both bones in my arm near my wrist in hockey. It was pretty severe and they had me on percocet. It doesn't seem like it's that drastic of a difference and they really wouldn't give me much of it back then (must be because of my age thinking I'd abuse/sell it). I was actually surprised by how much vicodin the doctor gave me for this ankle injury initially and I can even go get another refill of 40 more pills. *shrugs
Percocet is a lot stronger and a lot more addicting. They give it out a lot more selectively. I had a rollerblading accident back in 2000 and only got Vicodin, but was given almost 2 weeks worth of it. At the time it was the strongest pain killer I'd ever had and was wowed by it. When I was given Percocet though a few years ago for my wrist (ended up with 2 weeks worth in total for a different reason, first week was for the initial break, the 2nd week was given a week later when I had surgery to put a plate in to piece my wrist back together)... I was floored by how much stronger it was.

Vicodin gives you this slight floaty feeling, where as Percocet gives you a feeling of absolutely flying, while being numb from the inside of your head all the way out!

Old
07-12-2010, 10:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Drunken ultimate frisbee. Jumped up and caught the frisbee, came down and landed on someone elses ankle, and mangled mine in the process. Riveting story, I know. Wish I could have something a bit cooler sounding to tell people other than a crappy frisbee accident...
Ultimate is fun though.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote