Notices

Development Camp

Old
07-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Jbcraig1883

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Only got to watch a bit of the camp online this year.

For those who were there, can somebody discuss whether the skill look the same or different than in years past?
In all honesty, it is hard to say. It's such a small sample in that it is two short scrimmages.

I do wish I could see the Traverse City Prospect Tourny because the guys will play physical, fight, etc. I really enjoy the fact that we have been allowed to watch them the past two years. But, it is hard to really evaluate when they aren't going 100 percent into the corners.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Here's Palmer's SICK shootout move...probably top five all time I've ever seen.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 04:26 PM
MK9

Yeah but he actually whiffed it. I'm not saying it wasn't impressive because he stuck with it and still pulled off a decent move. Just saying the whole sequence wasn't quite what he intended.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:14 PM
SeeKpzl8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Yeah but he actually whiffed it. I'm not saying it wasn't impressive because he stuck with it and still pulled off a decent move. Just saying the whole sequence wasn't quite what he intended.
Are you kidding me? He missed the slap shot on purpose

SeeKpzl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
To me it looked like an obvious miss.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:33 PM
MK9

Whatever sells the story.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Wow! that was an amazing goal.

oh and thanks for the heads up, here's the Youtube link for it.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Kari Takko

The slap shot "whiff" was all part of the move. There's no way he could've found the puck in his skates that quickly had he actually missed a slap-shot attempt.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

It's all done way to smoothly to be a whiff.

Old
07-18-2010, 06:24 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
THAT'S the one! I know some were trying to say it wasn't intentional, to me it looks completely intentional!

You miss a slapshot like that on the fly, you completely lose where the puck is, you don't just matter of factly kick it right back to the blade of your stick as though nothing happened...

Oh and BTW - Inception is a spectacular movie!!!!

Last edited by TaLoN: 07-18-2010 at 06:31 PM.
TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 07:25 PM
mnwildgophers

I stand corrected, after watching it about 100 more times, I'm now convinced he whiffed on purpose.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 08:25 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
THAT'S the one! I know some were trying to say it wasn't intentional, to me it looks completely intentional!

You miss a slapshot like that on the fly, you completely lose where the puck is, you don't just matter of factly kick it right back to the blade of your stick as though nothing happened...

Oh and BTW - Inception is a spectacular movie!!!!
yes it is

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
that guy did another sick shootout goal last year.

that guy is great at shootout. Dunno for the rest though.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Your right that was a sick goal he scored last year. Kids got some talent.

Old
07-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Kari Takko

It was great to get a hockey fix today. I really like this development camp scrimmage, and I'll def be back next year.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 10:34 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
that guy did another sick shootout goal last year.

that guy is great at shootout. Dunno for the rest though.
As I said earlier... he had a sick shootout move, but during the scrimmage itself he looked pretty bad..

Old
07-19-2010, 12:37 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Not going to go through my opinions because at this point it is just a rehash of what's been said. But damn, Casey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Opinions on Broda would be appreciated
Didn't really stand out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Cuma was the best D-man on the ice today. No doubt this guy has puck skills!

Wellman and Almond looked like experienced pros today...

Gillies took an early puck to the chops and it seemed he backed off in play immediately after.

Krupp was painful to watch...

Rau was the exact opposite, he flashed some moves and created chances on several occasions.

Endras was very good in goal for team white. Not sure who it was that replaced him in the second half... but wow was he bad!

After the shootout wellman tossed his stick into the crowd, then one of green team's goalie followed suit tossing two sticks... one of which I got!
That's pretty cool.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

My takeaways, but this is based on what I saw online, thats very little because my stream kept freezing every 2 minutes for a whole minute, each time...

Wellman was probably the best player. He skated fast, and found the open areas and was very poised.

Almond is probably my 2nd best player. Like Wellman, I REALLY liked how he was able to skate smoothly into open areas and looked to create opporunuties.

Endras looked like a solid goalie.

Hackett looked shaky. Nervous even...

Medvec was impressive. Although his is lanky and his skating isn't the greatest, he has the size to make it hard for forwards to get around him, which is pretty much what defense is all about. Could turn out into a bottom pairing d-man for the Wild.

I only saw Barnett twice due to stream freezes but in those times, he drove to the net and was difficult offensively. I liked.

I was impressed by Zucker. I assumed he was crappy skater, but he was actually a smooth, quick skater. Not overly quick but was able to beat a few people purely on speed.

McKinlay, I was impressed. He is only a 7th rounder yet he had solid skating and made the smart choices. I saw once he dumped the puck in when I was assuming he was going to carry it in like many forwards do. Another time, he got open and made a nice cross crease pass which somehow ended up as a goal (or a very good chance).

Gillies was dominate physically, but not offensively. No one could push him off the puck so Gillies, who's fast as well, was able to protect the puck for quite some time. Unfortunately, he rarely made anything out of it...

I didn't notice Cuma, but that might be a result of my stream. Was he really that good?

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 07:21 AM
FrankTheTank

Does anyone know how Erik Haula has been played?

FrankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:08 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank View Post
Does anyone know how Erik Haula has been played?
He played pretty solid, he had a realy nice shootout move that was very Martin St.Louis like, where he skated in backwards (he failed to score on it, but it was a nice move none the less).

Old
07-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Cuma was really good. As I said above, he played a game similar to Kim Johnsson, just needs a couple years of good coaching and refinement on his decisions. Such a fluid skater.

Haula was great IMO. It was such a clogged up game that nobody got rushes, but he probably had as many chances as anyone, was physical, had a shot, great prospect.

Old
07-19-2010, 09:00 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

final development camp thoughts.

- After watching the scrimmage Sunday, two things are evident:

1. Our prospect base, aside from Granlund, consist largely of bottom 9 forwards and 3-7 defensemen. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, because of the renewed emphasis on development. Also, in a salary cap world, having young (i.e. cheap) talent that can fill bottom 6 roles is a luxury in a sense.
2. You can see Fletcher's philosophy on talent: he covets speed and grit. A lot of players with speed and jam, even if they aren't the most talented.

- Bulmer...raw, but you see where the projections come from. He's physical, an irritant, good along the boards with puck protection, likes to come down on the wing on the rush. However...he's got to put it all together, especially when he comes down the wing on the rush.
- Medvec...I said it earlier; clunky skater, but has the reach, the frame, and the smarts to be an effective stay at home guy. I thought he excelled when he was physical, and has the sense to make a play on the offensive side. Underrated, and I his develop path is perfect for him.
- Wellman...more quick than fast. He's not afraid to go into high traffic areas, but a concern I've heard is that he's not too great at distributing the puck, which is what you want a center to do. THAT being said, he made some slick passes, including a primary assist on a Gillies goal Saturday that was a dandy.
- Barnett...best forward on the ice Saturday. Was passed over this last Draft, but I think he'll have a lot of attention come June 2011. Nice offensive instincts, and has some jam too. I think alot of people would be curious about what he could do with top-6 time for Vancouver in the Dub.
- Scandella...I really think he ranks up there with the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, The Yeti, The Mongolian Death Worm, and a Woman who is cool with you staying out late drinking with your buddies in the sense that we hear about them, but have never actually seen them. He didn't participate in last year's scrimmage, didn't this year, and I wonder if he's actually Minnesota's version of Taro Tsujimoto.
- Prosser...was a step ahead of most, probably due to his age, but played with the most jam and sandpaper of anyone. I think this is what he has to do to be a successful NHLer, because I don't think he's got much upside outside of a 5-6 D.
- Foucault...great hands, but I wonder if motivation and engagement is an issue. At times he looked disinterested, and I thought he looked better last year.
- Goalies...can't say I paid much attention, but for what its worth I have this nagging suspicion that Kuemper will be a better pro than Hackett. I think the Brass really likes Kuemper.
- Almond...he was really good. CT was correct in that he did a great job of finding soft spots in coverage, and did his thing in all three zones. I kinda felt that he had the best grasp of what to do out of anyone on the ice.
- Falk...I suspect we could see alot of him this next season. Mobile and keeps his game simple. Get the puck and move it out of the zone one way or another.
- Gillies...scored some goals, but if he's gonna contribute offensively at the NHL level he'll have to be paired with a playmaker- Gillies would be the guy who creates space for his linemates to operate in. Great skater though.
- Its kind of a pain in the ass, constantly looking at the roster going "who the funk is #76?!?" Names on the jerseys would help.
- To be honest, there weren't too many players that really stood out, even when I made it a point to watch them intently- Broda, Haula, Noreau, etc.
- Just a hunch here...but I wonder if the personnel dept./scouts are big fans of what Enrico Blasi does at Miami of Ohio with his players. Ryan Jones went there for 4 years, but then we've signed Brian Kaufman (AHL deal), Jared Palmer (NHL deal,) and brought in Cameron Schilling for the development camp. Either that, or internally the Brass must love them some Redhawk hockey.

Its nice to see what the future beholds, and also to watch some puck in the middle of July.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
- Scandella...I really think he ranks up there with the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, The Yeti, The Mongolian Death Worm, and a Woman who is cool with you staying out late drinking with your buddies in the sense that we hear about them, but have never actually seen them. He didn't participate in last year's scrimmage, didn't this year, and I wonder if he's actually Minnesota's version of Taro Tsujimoto.
He might be now given Eero Elo is no longer a part of the organization.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Scandella was watching warmups in the stands...he looked ticked off. Easy to spot because he looked like he was about 8 feet tall