HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tyler Bozak

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2010, 12:35 AM
  #76
Delta Cubes
Registered User
 
Delta Cubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
Yes he did and managed to put up 27 points in 37 games.

That must even out at what? Around 60 points in a full season. Oh and don't forget that his first 5-10 games were mostly on the 2nd line so another reason to be impressed.
He played at a 60 pt pace at the age of 24 in his first season with premium ice time. Fair enough. I just can't see him improving that much more though.

What exactly are expectations for Bozak next year from leaf fans?

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 12:39 AM
  #77
Delta Cubes
Registered User
 
Delta Cubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
He also would have been 12th in FO% (behind Crosby and ahead of Datsyuk), as well as in the top-30 for points by centermen had he kept that pace for 82 games. Teams without top-30 centermen in points this year: NYI, Toronto, Boston (Savard was injured, I know), Calgary, Edmonton, Phoenix, and Nashville. Beyond that, he could compete for first line center duties on Atlanta, Columbus, Buffalo, Florida, NYR and St. Louis.
Most of these aren't great teams, but Bozak was almost as good, if not better, than first line centermen on 13 teams in the NHL this season. And he was a rookie.
Sure, you can say it's a small sample, but you can make samples and projections with any other player in the NHL, why not for Bozak, who played almost half the season.
Technically speaking, he wouldn't be top 30 pointwise in centers if he kept his pace for 82 games because you also have to take into account the other players that didn't play a full 82 games. ie. Spezza

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 01:24 AM
  #78
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
He played at a 60 pt pace at the age of 24 in his first season with premium ice time. Fair enough. I just can't see him improving that much more though.

What exactly are expectations for Bozak next year from leaf fans?
Depends on ice time. As is he probably goes into the season as the number one center. in that role I'd expect around 70 points or so(seems like a lot but he's not exactly a teenager), certainly nothing below 60. Bozak proved himself last season, he lived up to expectations and then some. He can skate, win draws, decent shot, PP, PK, great passer but his best asset is his hockey IQ. Just a very smart player. Him and Kessel also looked like a match made in heaven, with another good winger added on that line both Bozak and Kessel should be racking up the points.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 01:32 AM
  #79
danishh
Registered User
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: YOW
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,638
vCash: 50
bozak has the value of a 2nd at most or a good center at the trade deadline (in a package).
If he continues to play as he did last year, that value will go up.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 01:41 AM
  #80
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,639
vCash: 500
Ramzi Abid started his NHL career in a similar way (10-8-18 in 30 games vs Bozak's 8-19-27 in 37).

Abid was essentially traded for Hrdina, a third line centre who was then traded for a Rupp and late 2nd.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:20 AM
  #81
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
Wrong, now you're making assumptions that Bozak can't play defense. No Mikhail Grabovski can't play defense. Bozak is a very well rounded TOP 6 centre.
Well from the games i saw, his defensive play wasn't impressive (namely HNIC games, otherwise i only watch the Leafs when i'm bored and no other hockey game on center ice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirtss View Post
One of the worst logics i've ever heard.
Check all playoff teams and you'll see they have a defensive center or 2 way center. If you don't have a defensive player on the 3rd line, opposing coaches will try to get their #1 line out vs your 3rd line as often as possible and abuse the mismatch. That was why Jordan Staal played on the 3rd line in Pitts when he could've easily moved to a top 6 winger spot (which i guess he'll be doing next season anyways but he didn't for a few seasons, reason Madden, Malhotra, Pahlsson, etc get the money they do/will/did).

I can't think of any single team that has a completely offensive 3rd line (offensive not 2 way, quite a few teams have good 2 way 3rd line that produces... e.g. Chicago, Detroit, etc).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:24 AM
  #82
Delta Cubes
Registered User
 
Delta Cubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Depends on ice time. As is he probably goes into the season as the number one center. in that role I'd expect around 70 points or so(seems like a lot but he's not exactly a teenager), certainly nothing below 60. Bozak proved himself last season, he lived up to expectations and then some. He can skate, win draws, decent shot, PP, PK, great passer but his best asset is his hockey IQ. Just a very smart player. Him and Kessel also looked like a match made in heaven, with another good winger added on that line both Bozak and Kessel should be racking up the points.
The biggest question I guess, is can Bozak improve next season over an 82 game season or will he regress? I didn't see enough of him last season to know if he'll be able to be consistent throughout the whole season.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:26 AM
  #83
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,444
vCash: 500
I'd say he has the value of a late second or early third round pick.
Right now he is worth more than that to the leafs but on the open market that's the most I could see another team giving up for him.
He is 24 years old and has 1 good half of a season under his belt.

Now if he continues with the same level of play next season his value will increase greatly.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:27 AM
  #84
Delta Cubes
Registered User
 
Delta Cubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I'd say he has the value of a late second or early third round pick.
Right now he is worth more than that to the leafs but on the open market that's the most I could see another team giving up for him.
He is 24 years old and has 1 good half of a season under his belt.

Now if he continues with the same level of play next season his value will increase greatly.
A leafs fan who I actually agree with.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 06:31 AM
  #85
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich
 
tp71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,152
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaction View Post
The biggest question I guess, is can Bozak improve next season over an 82 game season or will he regress? I didn't see enough of him last season to know if he'll be able to be consistent throughout the whole season.
It is a fair question. Can he maintain that pace over an 82 game season. He started to slow down a bit towards the end of the season, but that could also be due to a smaller college schedule that he had become used to, and battling H1N1 and losing something like 13 pounds.(its a big reason he only had 20pts in 32 games in the AHL.) If he improves his long term stamina and is able to play over the course of an 82 game season, I have no reason to believe he couldnt put up 70 pts. 60 is the realistic number however.

His value?

To Toronto - a lot, 1st rounder
To everyone else - 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Based on that, he won't be moved.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 06:45 AM
  #86
KeziaTML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,511
vCash: 500
Ahh, how I remember the talk from this time last year:

"Bozak? He isn't worth a draft pick! Any draft pick!"

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:46 AM
  #87
IrMitchell*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Well from the games i saw, his defensive play wasn't impressive (namely HNIC games, otherwise i only watch the Leafs when i'm bored and no other hockey game on center ice).



Check all playoff teams and you'll see they have a defensive center or 2 way center. If you don't have a defensive player on the 3rd line, opposing coaches will try to get their #1 line out vs your 3rd line as often as possible and abuse the mismatch. That was why Jordan Staal played on the 3rd line in Pitts when he could've easily moved to a top 6 winger spot (which i guess he'll be doing next season anyways but he didn't for a few seasons, reason Madden, Malhotra, Pahlsson, etc get the money they do/will/did).

I can't think of any single team that has a completely offensive 3rd line (offensive not 2 way, quite a few teams have good 2 way 3rd line that produces... e.g. Chicago, Detroit, etc).
I know this team they go by the Flyers and they happen to have their defensive centres on their top two lines.

Richards, Carter, Briere, Giroux.

Let us know when you want to forget your brutal logic and move on admitting you have absolutely no input in this thread.

IrMitchell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
  #88
thepublichairs
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
Yo are you for real???? mid late first round pick!!!?!? You are HIGHLY OVERESTIMATING him. First rounders are only given out to legitimate first line players...Bozak is not on any other team than the leafs. if bozak gets a mid late first rounder like you say, i wonder how much would you give for Subban? I am a Habs fan, so call me biast if you want, but the truth is, I guarantEEEEE you, you will be very disappointed if in fact he gets traded (he won't though). Subban might be worth a late first round pick. Not bozak though. lol

Your comment was an example of a hardcore Toronto fan. you think you're players are so great, but you came in last...where is the common sense??? he is 24, good players just do not pop up randomly in their mid 20s and command 1st rounders!!!!hahahahah lol
I never knew it was possible to do that. Overrating, yes. Toronto isn't going to trade Bozak especially after the way he played for us durring the second half of the season. The Leafs are better off keeping him because we are lacking the center depth atm.

thepublichairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:58 AM
  #89
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
I know this team they go by the Flyers and they happen to have their defensive centres on their top two lines.

Richards, Carter, Briere, Giroux.

Let us know when you want to forget your brutal logic and move on admitting you have absolutely no input in this thread.
The Leafs don't have a centre as good as any of the Flyers top 3. You can't compare the Flyers style of play to any other teams, as they have freaky depth, not to mention that their number one centre goes against the other teams top line and shuts them down. Their third line is just as good as most teams top line, so they can go head to head without being completely overrun.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:33 AM
  #90
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,197
vCash: 500
A 4th rounder? We are talking about a 24 year old player with 37 games to his credit. Dustin Boyd, a younger player who has scored almost as many goals as Bozak has played games. Boyd was traded for a 4th at the deadline, and then packaged with Ellis for the sucky Kostitsyn. I think that sets a pretty good comparison point.

CGYPUKSUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:52 AM
  #91
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Whalen View Post
A 4th rounder? We are talking about a 24 year old player with 37 games to his credit. Dustin Boyd, a younger player who has scored almost as many goals as Bozak has played games. Boyd was traded for a 4th at the deadline, and then packaged with Ellis for the sucky Kostitsyn. I think that sets a pretty good comparison point.
No, no it doesn't. I can't believe you just mentioned Dustin freaking Boyd.

Anyways, Bozak has a ton of value to the Leafs. That's really all that matters. They won't trade him for a pick, or likely anything else they get offered. Whether other teams would give up a first, second or third rounder is immaterial, because he won't be traded.

grabo84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
  #92
MJ65
Registered User
 
MJ65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
Yo are you for real???? mid late first round pick!!!?!? You are HIGHLY OVERESTIMATING him. First rounders are only given out to legitimate first line players...Bozak is not on any other team than the leafs. if bozak gets a mid late first rounder like you say, i wonder how much would you give for Subban? I am a Habs fan, so call me biast if you want, but the truth is, I guarantEEEEE you, you will be very disappointed if in fact he gets traded (he won't though). Subban might be worth a late first round pick. Not bozak though. lol

Your comment was an example of a hardcore Toronto fan. you think you're players are so great, but you came in last...where is the common sense??? he is 24, good players just do not pop up randomly in their mid 20s and command 1st rounders!!!!hahahahah lol
Bozak is a proven top 6 forward, whereas except for top tier 1st rounders (Hall/Seguin) are usually suspect - there is no gurantee even if they are going to make it to the big league (and even if they do then there is no gurantee if they are going to be top 6), speaking of top 3 forward you atleast pay two 1st rounders, a roster player and your high prospects

Please do your home work before commenting and yes fair compensation for Bozak should be a 1st rounder and Toronto is not trading him

MJ65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
  #93
KeziaTML
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,511
vCash: 500
If this thread is any indication, we should:

Trade our 7th to LA for Loktionov
Trade our 6th to Buffalo for Kassian
Trade our 5th to NYI for Nino
Trade our 4th to Edmonton for Taylor Hall
... etc

These players have no value because they have never played in the NHL.

KeziaTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:01 AM
  #94
EternallyLeafs
doris
 
EternallyLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Burlington
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
His performance bonus really pushes his cap hit up pretty high... 3.725. That's what Taylor Hall will be making if he makes his bonuses.

Good young player, reminds me a lot of Stajan. I think he'll round out to be a solid second line center, 50-60 points.
He is not as soft as Stajan and played better defensively than MS last season.

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:15 AM
  #95
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeziaTML View Post
If this thread is any indication, we should:

Trade our 7th to LA for Loktionov
Trade our 6th to Buffalo for Kassian
Trade our 5th to NYI for Nino
Trade our 4th to Edmonton for Taylor Hall
... etc

These players have no value because they have never played in the NHL.
Those guys are 18 and 19 not 24. You don't see the difference between an unproven 18 year old and an unproven guy who is 6 years older?
If in 6 years any of those guys have only played 37 games then you probably could pick him up for a late round pick.

Personally I think Bozak will ultimately prove to be a good top 6 center and will have the value of a first rounder or more but at this time he hasn't.
And yes he was somewhat impressive in his short stint with the Leafs but he was equally unimpressive with the start of his pro career with the Marlies. No matter what the reason swine flu or whatever.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:18 AM
  #96
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ65 View Post
Bozak is a proven top 6 forward, whereas except for top tier 1st rounders (Hall/Seguin) are usually suspect - there is no gurantee even if they are going to make it to the big league (and even if they do then there is no gurantee if they are going to be top 6), speaking of top 3 forward you atleast pay two 1st rounders, a roster player and your high prospects

Please do your home work before commenting and yes fair compensation for Bozak should be a 1st rounder and Toronto is not trading him

Since when is 27 career points in 37 career games enough to be considered "proven"?

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:26 AM
  #97
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO
 
That Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,461
vCash: 500
Bozak and Hanson, this era's Stajan and Steen.

All four will amount to diddly

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:35 AM
  #98
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumesh View Post
hes not going anywhere unless its for lecavalier or jeff carter.. literally someone serious, but thats not gonna happen
kaberles going for a number one center
bozak is staying
You're dreaming in colour if you think 1 year of Kaberle will get you a #1 center.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:43 AM
  #99
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
You're right, he would be a #5 C.. You're missing a key fact here though, Philly finished 2nd BEST and Toronto finished 2nd WORST.

We have Kadri and Bozak penciled in as our top 6 centres, yet they've played a combined 38 official NHL games. Now considering everybody hates Toronto I highly doubt that you've seen any of those games to have an intelligent enough opinion to be saying this stuff.

Bozak is a very good hockey player. I'll be the first to admit that Kulemin is a 2nd-3rd liner, Kessel isn't worth two 1st's and a 2nd, but Bozak has every single asset that a top line centre needs and when he's given the opportunity to play 82 games (next year), you'll understand why I said this.
Bozak will stick around in this league. He has tremendous hockey sense to turn into at least a good 3rd line center (P. Bergeron). He's getting undervalued here but it's expected. Kulemin placed 51st amongst LW'ers in total points & plays an excellent two-way game all in just his 2nd season in the NHL, that screams top-6er to me as well..

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:45 AM
  #100
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
No, no it doesn't. I can't believe you just mentioned Dustin freaking Boyd.
Why? They're very comparable.

Tyler Bozak, born Mar. 19, 1986 (24 years old). 6'1, 195 pounds

Dustin Boyd, born Jul 16, 1986 (almost 24 years old), 6'0, 190 pounds

Same age, same size, same type of player. The difference is that one has been playing in the NHL and has 210 games under his belt and the other has been playing college and minor league hockey. Seems to me which 24 year old player is superior. One guy has played a few seasons and has shown he can play in whatever role is asked of him. The other (undrafted) guy was a callup for a bottom feeder who put up some surprising numbers. I'll tell you what, when Tyler Bozak hits 31 goals in the NHL you can begin to discount Dustin Boyd, until then **** and quit overblowing Bozak's short stint on the second worst team in the NHL.

Quote:
Anyways, Bozak has a ton of value to the Leafs. That's really all that matters. They won't trade him for a pick, or likely anything else they get offered. Whether other teams would give up a first, second or third rounder is immaterial, because he won't be traded.
A 24 year old with 37 games to his credit is an untradeable core player for Toronto?


CGYPUKSUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.