HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

So Nabokov has made the jump

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2010, 05:39 AM
  #1
GCM
Stork
 
GCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,022
vCash: 500
So Nabokov has made the jump

Who here thinks Alexander Frolov will do the same?

I'm not sure, I think he might stay. There should be teams interested in him... Just depends how much a KHL team is willing to overpay.

Also I'm not sure, but how is the tax dealt with in player's salaries. Is their income tax-free or is that a rumor?

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:20 AM
  #2
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,699
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Who here thinks Alexander Frolov will do the same?

I'm not sure, I think he might stay. There should be teams interested in him... Just depends how much a KHL team is willing to overpay.

Also I'm not sure, but how is the tax dealt with in player's salaries. Is their income tax-free or is that a rumor?
it's not tax-free, it also varies on a citizenship of a player.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:16 AM
  #3
Hermit Wizard Eater
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
it's not tax-free, it also varies on a citizenship of a player.
To expand on that, it isn't tax free, but the income tax rate is much lower than what it would be if he played for almost all NHL teams.


(13% in Russia versus about 40-50%)

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:35 AM
  #4
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,602
vCash: 500
It's not uncommon for salaries to be reported as net income, so therefore it gives the allusion that it's tax free.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:32 PM
  #5
GCM
Stork
 
GCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
It's not uncommon for salaries to be reported as net income, so therefore it gives the allusion that it's tax free.
Honestly, the reason I said tax-free was I remember Cro-cop (mma fighter) asking for his bonus to be paid, "tax-free of course". And then I've read Russian fighters and hockey players prefer to play in Russia because of America's taxes.

So I made a tentative guess.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:13 AM
  #6
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper
 
The Cheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Guilford, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
I wonder if this salary was simply heaped on just to steal him from the NHL

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
  #7
RewBicks
Registered User
 
RewBicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country:
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
I wonder if this salary was simply heaped on just to steal him from the NHL
He certainly wasn't going to be picked up by an NHL team at that price.

RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:47 PM
  #8
Doc Scurlock
Registered User
 
Doc Scurlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RewBicks View Post
He certainly wasn't going to be picked up by an NHL team at that price.
Yeah, that's true. Put that with the fact that he's old, hasn't done all too well in the playoffs, and it's why nobody offered him his money.

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:10 PM
  #9
afrobomber11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Flin Flon Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
of course the money is being heaped on by the khl

they pay guys like nabby 6 mil per to try make their league look good but all they are taking is guys that water down the nhl, look at some of their best scorers, mediocre nhl players who mostly played depth roles... minus jagr and radulov(who are being vastly overpaid)

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:32 PM
  #10
VladNYC
Registered User
 
VladNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobomber11 View Post
of course the money is being heaped on by the khl

they pay guys like nabby 6 mil per to try make their league look good but all they are taking is guys that water down the nhl, look at some of their best scorers, mediocre nhl players who mostly played depth roles... minus jagr and radulov(who are being vastly overpaid)
LoL! Wanna give us those numbers that Radulov and Jagr are being overpaid?

You guys can say whatever you want but Nabokov was one of the best in the NHL, now he gets a chance to prove him self in the KHL.

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:38 PM
  #11
afrobomber11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Flin Flon Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
does jagr not get 12-14 mil to play? thats the number range ive heard

great player, well past his prime, and HIGHLY overpaid

i do admire his passion to play and play for his country, but his anger was a little misdirected at the wc's this year

im assuming radulov is making over 6, which would be overpaid, even if its that or a bit higher

also, i wish nabokov could prove himself as a great goalie, but right now he looks like a bigger choke artist than joe thornton


Last edited by afrobomber11: 07-10-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: add more
afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:19 PM
  #12
VladNYC
Registered User
 
VladNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobomber11 View Post
does jagr not get 12-14 mil to play? thats the number range ive heard

great player, well past his prime, and HIGHLY overpaid

i do admire his passion to play and play for his country, but his anger was a little misdirected at the wc's this year

im assuming radulov is making over 6, which would be overpaid, even if its that or a bit higher

also, i wish nabokov could prove himself as a great goalie, but right now he looks like a bigger choke artist than joe thornton

Jagr last contract in the KHL was 5mil/yr. Is that over payment for one of KHL's biggest stars?

I don't think Nabokov feels like he has any thing to prove in the NHL, other wise he would have signed for less somewhere in the NHL. Hockey is a team sport, the notion that the Sharks didn't get further in the playoffs because of Nabokov is silly. One can argue they wouldn't have made the playoffs with out him as he led the league in save % many times.

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:13 AM
  #13
afrobomber11
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Flin Flon Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
if 5 mil is the case then thats fair

but still nabokov has/had alot to prove and never won the grail

and he has a grand total of 1 world championship gold.... whoa!!!

im thinking more was/is expected

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:57 AM
  #14
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,602
vCash: 500
Or, with the 'anti free market' cap system in place, you could say the NHL is underpaying many of its players.
You hear it from players frequently -- they're willing to play in the NHL even if it means taking a financial hit.
With no cap limits, Nabokov would've had that same offer from numerous NHL teams.

BTW, Radulov isn't making 6 miliion/year. It's more like 4.


Last edited by Zine: 07-11-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:33 AM
  #15
vorky
@vorkywh24
 
vorky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobomber11 View Post
if 5 mil is the case then thats fair

but still nabokov has/had alot to prove and never won the grail

and he has a grand total of 1 world championship gold.... whoa!!!

im thinking more was/is expected
And do you know why he has just one gold from WC? Because he played Play-off in NHL every year and could not play at WC.
He has played at one WC (07-08season) since 00/01 season. And he won Gold. Is it not good enough?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8585

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:55 PM
  #16
RO8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Courtenay
Country: Canada
Posts: 186
vCash: 500
I'm excited to see Nabokovgo to SKA don't they have Esche aswell? If so could be a good tandem.

RO8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:44 PM
  #17
VladNYC
Registered User
 
VladNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Ska vs Spartak aka Nabokov vs Hasek. Now THAT i am looking forward to.

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:32 PM
  #18
Purple hippo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louvain-la-Neuve
Country: Belgium
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RO8 View Post
I'm excited to see Nabokovgo to SKA don't they have Esche aswell? If so could be a good tandem.
Not anymore, he did not get renew after season, they have Sokolov now and I thought they signed Stepanek but I can not find him.

Last I hear from Esche was he went to Dinamo Minsk but were going to do something else. I do not know if he actually signed or is staying in Minsk.

Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:59 AM
  #19
Larsson83
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Hi everyone

I've got a question regarding Nabokov, maybe someone can help me:

From 18.8-22.8 SKA participates at a tournament in Basel (Switzerland). Do you know if Nabokov at this time will already be part of the team, or does he still have holidays?

Thanks for your answers!

Larsson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:50 AM
  #20
VladNYC
Registered User
 
VladNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsson83 View Post
Hi everyone

I've got a question regarding Nabokov, maybe someone can help me:

From 18.8-22.8 SKA participates at a tournament in Basel (Switzerland). Do you know if Nabokov at this time will already be part of the team, or does he still have holidays?

Thanks for your answers!
I assume that if the team will be there that the goalie will be there too.

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:09 AM
  #21
Larsson83
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
I assume that if the team will be there that the goalie will be there too.
Yeah, one could think so. But last year the team was there, but Zubov was not. Therefore I thought maybe NHL acquisitions get some extra holidays/ don't have to make this trip.

Larsson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:16 PM
  #22
Drew Doubty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
its funny to see KHL supporters try and tell us that its in fact the more talented league. Jagr is washed up, not completely, but pretty much. Same with Hasek. Radulov quit the NHL and never really dominated, though he is a great player. Most players that go to the KHL from the NHL usually quit after a year or two (Hudler, Emery) because it simply is not the same as the NHL. Less talent = less glory in winning.

BTW I think the KHL is a fantastic league. Definitely second best in the world and who knows, maybe one day it will compete with the NHL but dont kid yourself into thinking that your watching the best hockey in the world

Drew Doubty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 05:27 PM
  #23
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,699
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Doubty View Post
its funny to see KHL supporters try and tell us that its in fact the more talented league. Jagr is washed up, not completely, but pretty much. Same with Hasek. Radulov quit the NHL and never really dominated, though he is a great player. Most players that go to the KHL from the NHL usually quit after a year or two (Hudler, Emery) because it simply is not the same as the NHL. Less talent = less glory in winning.

BTW I think the KHL is a fantastic league. Definitely second best in the world and who knows, maybe one day it will compete with the NHL but dont kid yourself into thinking that your watching the best hockey in the world
nobody but brainwashed yahoo kids in Russia think that. But thanks for coming here to rain on someone's parade, much appreciated.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2010, 12:36 AM
  #24
JPavs8Clutchy*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bye
Country: United States
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
Jagr last contract in the KHL was 5mil/yr. Is that over payment for one of KHL's biggest stars?

I don't think Nabokov feels like he has any thing to prove in the NHL, other wise he would have signed for less somewhere in the NHL. Hockey is a team sport, the notion that the Sharks didn't get further in the playoffs because of Nabokov is silly. One can argue they wouldn't have made the playoffs with out him as he led the league in save % many times.
He has never led the league in SV%...

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 06:00 AM
  #25
VladNYC
Registered User
 
VladNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
He has never led the league in SV%...
Not at the end of the season. But many times during various points in the season.

VladNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.