HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value Of Ryan Smyth

Old
07-08-2010, 02:07 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I'm thinking we would need a big body on our LW which Penner would fulfill.

We really don't have any other players that can fill the void if Smyth is traded.
Souray
Penner

for

Smyth
Stoll

would we be close with this type of deal?

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:17 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
Souray
Penner

for

Smyth
Stoll

would we be close with this type of deal?
Souray
Penner
Peckham

for

Smyth
Stoll

I would probably do this deal, although, we would need to find a #2 center. But like I said, majority of the posters on this board don't want Souray and half the board probably don't want to part with Smyth, at least not for another year.

I like Souray and I think he'll have a good bounce back year. Adding both Souray and Peckham back on defense would add size, toughness and some scoring.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:30 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Souray
Penner
Peckham

for

Smyth
Stoll

I would probably do this deal, although, we would need to find a #2 center. But like I said, majority of the posters on this board don't want Souray and half the board probably don't want to part with Smyth, at least not for another year.

I like Souray and I think he'll have a good bounce back year. Adding both Souray and Peckham back on defense would add size, toughness and some scoring.
Most Oiler fans would be pretty satisfied with this trade I think, it would suck to lose Penner now because he finally lived up to his contract, but the headache Souray has caused us would be over, and most of our issues down the middle would be solved and for obvious reasons, the amount of new pants that would be bought in Edmonton would go through the roof if Smyth is back home.

As for LA's end, Souray's bomb would replace Stoll's shot on your PP, Penner will gaurentee you 25-30goals and he is actually pretty decent on face-offs, he can't really play center, but he does win more draws than he loses. Peckham is a bit of a project yet as his defensive awareness slipped at times, but he is still young and a year older. The sweet thing about him tho is he backs down from no one and will beat you up if you look at his teammates the wrong way. The image of him beating on a 45 yr old Claude Lemieux will never get old in my mind

Old
07-08-2010, 03:03 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I'll take Hemsky instead of Penner.. But then we'd need a second line center if we're trading away Stoll.. Then we sign Kovalchuk (haha)

Ales Hemsky
Sheldon Souray

Ryan Smyth
Justin Williams
Colten Teubert/Thomas Hickey

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Hemsky
Richardson-Stoll-Brown
Parse-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Schenn-Lewis
Clune, Westgarth

Doughty-Scuderi
Johnson-Souray
Greene-Voynov
Martinez

Bernier
Quick

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 03:54 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCast View Post
Smyth isn't going anywhere. He has two years left and has done a good job with the Kings. He's great in the locker room and has a NTC. Dean is oldschool. He won't ask him to waive it nor would he buy him out.
Smyth would be going back to Edmonton...remember the city he cried about leaving? I am pretty sure he would waive his NTC and go back to Edmonton. Sucks for his family to move around a lot...but that's the life of a pro.

I'd be all over Hemsky like white on rice for Smyth, Stoll, Toronto's 3rd round pick. Then flip Justin Williams to Toronto for Kaberle.

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Hemsky
Richardson-Schenn-Brown

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 03:57 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Do you guys really think that we can land Oilers very best player without giving up one of our very best?

Like I said before, if we want Hemsky, they're going to want Schenn.

Old
07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Smyth would be going back to Edmonton...remember the city he cried about leaving? I am pretty sure he would waive his NTC and go back to Edmonton. Sucks for his family to move around a lot...but that's the life of a pro.

I'd be all over Hemsky like white on rice for Smyth, Stoll, Toronto's 3rd round pick. Then flip Justin Williams to Toronto for Kaberle.

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Hemsky
Richardson-Schenn-Brown
With all due respect, Hemsky is the only proven gamebreaker we have, if he were to be dealt, we'd need a gamebreaker to come back.

Old
07-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
With all due respect, Hemsky is the only proven gamebreaker we have, if he were to be dealt, we'd need a gamebreaker to come back.
With and equal amount of due respect from a fan of a team that just finished a rebuild... you guys would be better stocking up on prospects and being the cellar another year.
A game breaker means maybe 5-10 more wins a year. Barring an Avalanche type season the Oilers aren't expected to make the playoffs and those 5-10 wins will only mean a lower draft pick.
Build around Hall and Eberle (like our GM did with Kopitar and Brown) and worry about the game breaker in a few seasons.

Last edited by Bad Will Hunting: 07-08-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 04:39 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
There is absolutely no way Smyth leaves Los Angeles. Unless its for a road game.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 04:41 PM
oilers_smyth_94

Are you guys just joking? or do you really not know the value of Ales Hemsky, or at least his value to the Edmonton Oilers?

Smyth has always been my favourite player but the only way I'd take him back at this contract is by getting rid of Souray. Forget about trading Penner or Cogliano or anyone like that, and especially not Hemsky. As for Stoll, we don't really need him. He's expensive for what we'd need him to be...a 3rd line center.

Who are we? The Calgary Flames??

oilers_smyth_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 04:51 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_smyth_94 View Post
Are you guys just joking? or do you really not know the value of Ales Hemsky, or at least his value to the Edmonton Oilers?

Smyth has always been my favourite player but the only way I'd take him back at this contract is by getting rid of Souray. Forget about trading Penner or Cogliano or anyone like that, and especially not Hemsky. As for Stoll, we don't really need him. He's expensive for what we'd need him to be...a 3rd line center.

Who are we? The Calgary Flames??
How about this

Hemsky to LA

for

Teubert, Moller, Smyth, 2nd round pick in 2011.

Old
07-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
How about this

Hemsky to LA

for

Teubert, Moller, Smyth, 2nd round pick in 2011.
overpayment

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 06:36 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what would you expect in return for Hemsky?

Old
07-08-2010, 06:43 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
overpayment
I don't think so, your basically dumping salary here and giving the Oilers something for the future. Teubert and Moller aren't exactly proven at the NHL level. Is Moller ever going to be a top-6 player on the Kings? We don't know.

At the same time, we would turn around and trade for Kaberle.

Losing Kings players this offseason, like Frolov, O'Donnell, Smyth, and whoever else (Justin Williams?) for Kaberle. Won't hurt at all.

And we add Kovy, Hemsky, Kaberle this offseason? I call that a tremendous upgrade. Considering we need to change this team, given the way it played at the end of the year and in the playoffs.

Old
07-08-2010, 08:29 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
I don't think so, your basically dumping salary here and giving the Oilers something for the future. Teubert and Moller aren't exactly proven at the NHL level. Is Moller ever going to be a top-6 player on the Kings? We don't know.

At the same time, we would turn around and trade for Kaberle.

Losing Kings players this offseason, like Frolov, O'Donnell, Smyth, and whoever else (Justin Williams?) for Kaberle. Won't hurt at all.

And we add Kovy, Hemsky, Kaberle this offseason? I call that a tremendous upgrade. Considering we need to change this team, given the way it played at the end of the year and in the playoffs.
I'd be happy with just Kovy alone but to add both Hemsky and Kaberle would be unreal!!! Not going to happen but it's fun to think about it.

Old
07-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Oilmoose

Forget Hemsky and Penner in a Smyth trade, that's just goofy talk.

More like;
Souray/Cogs - Smyth.

I would go no more than that unless you wanted to sub Cogliano for Peckham.

Oilmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 06:34 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

How about we just give you Smyth for free?

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Oilmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
How about we just give you Smyth for free?
Our value of Smitty is that he bled Oil when he was with us. During this rebuild, we could use character guys like him for the young guns we have coming in.

In terms of Hemsky - Smyth type scenario, honestly people in Edmonton would laugh at the idea of it. We are aware we have pretty high caliber player in Hemmer (especially for what we're paying him). Sadly he hasn't had the best supporting cast but we're hopeful things will change with the insertion of Hall, Magnus, and Eberle etc.

Cogs has some serious wheels, is young and still developing, and Souray's cannon on the point would bode well for you guys too.

Oilmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sireel View Post
Our value of Smitty is that he bled Oil when he was with us. During this rebuild, we could use character guys like him for the young guns we have coming in.

In terms of Hemsky - Smyth type scenario, honestly people in Edmonton would laugh at the idea of it. We are aware we have pretty high caliber player in Hemmer (especially for what we're paying him). Sadly he hasn't had the best supporting cast but we're hopeful things will change with the insertion of Hall, Magnus, and Eberle etc.

Cogs has some serious wheels, is young and still developing, and Souray's cannon on the point would bode well for you guys too.

Smyth would go gratis with the guarantee that Kovy signs in LA with the freed up cap space.

And yeah, Smyth is a class act.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote