HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Katz Missed The Boat

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2010, 01:21 AM
oil4life14

vCash: 500
Katz Missed The Boat

IMO Katz should have finished what Tambo started and cleaned house(Lowe Tambo everyone), he had an opportunity to get Yzerman(or someone with his reputation among players) in here and give the Oilers a shot at being a true classy franchise. The reason we are where we are has been years of bad management since the cup run in 06. Yes Tambellini has done a better job than Lowe with regards to decisions about trades, contracts, etc., but he deserves no credit in what we call this major rebuild. He was pushing hard to get Heatley here one short year ago.

Don't get me wrong I'm as excited as any oiler fan right now with all the top notch prospects coming up, but I'm not losing sight as to why we are here in the first place. IMO if we are to keep these great prospects here long term we need a guy in charge that communicates well with his players and a guy that the players trust. Sourays comments lead me to believe Tambo is not that guy. Remember Souray grew up an Oiler fan.

Going forward do you think Tambo is the GUY?. Is he able to hang on to our good players? Is he able to attract star free agents to put the team over the top when the time comes? IMHO with Lowes fingerprints still on this team it aint gonna happen. Yzerman or someone with similar reputation among players in the league would be a better choice as GM for me.

Maybe some of you don't agree with me but I know some players around the league do, the way Lowe and Tambo have been chasing big fish over the years and only being able to land Souray and now he has nothing nice to say about management here. I could take the easy road and focus my anger at Souray but I think he has told me what the real problem in Etown is.

Last edited by oil4life14: 07-09-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old
07-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil4life34 View Post
IMO Katz should have finished what Tambo started and cleaned house(Lowe Tambo everyone), he had an opportunity to get Yzerman in here and give the Oilers a shot at being a true classy franchise. The reason we are where we are has been years of bad management since the cup run in 06. Yes Tambellini has done a better job than Lowe with regards to decisions about trades, contracts, etc., but he deserves no credit in what we call this major rebuild. He was pushing hard to get Heatley here one short year ago.

Don't get me wrong I'm as excited as any oiler fan right now with all the top notch prospects coming up, but I'm not losing sight as to why we are here in the first place. IMO if we are to keep these great prospects here long term we need a guy in charge that communicates well with his players and a guy that the players trust. Sourays comments lead me to believe Tambo is not that guy. Remember Souray grew up an Oiler fan.

Going forward do you think Tambo is the GUY?. Is he able to hang on to our good players? Is he able to attract star free agents to put the team over the top when the time comes? IMHO with Lowes fingerprints still on this team it aint gonna happen. Yzerman or someone with similar reputation among players in the league would be a better choice as GM for me.

Maybe some of you don't agree with me but I know some players around the league do, the way Lowe and Tambo have been chasing big fish over the years and only being able to land Souray and now he has nothing nice to say about management here. I could take the easy road and focus my anger at Souray but I think he has told me what the real problem in Etown is.

I think two offseasons are not nearly enough to tell if Tambo is the guy to go with or not. Especially since one of them he had Lowe breathing down his neck the whole time

Old
07-09-2010, 01:24 AM
awesomo
HARD!

I didnt really read the entire thing but i saw the Yzerman part and was kinda like ????

I dont really understand this love in for Yzerman. He is an awesome guy, but he hasnt had much GMing experience (or has he? and IMO hockey canada doesnt really count). Im not saying Tambo was made for this job but he has been a number 2 for a very long time.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:26 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
and yzerman says "no, i dont want to go to Edmonton" and then your post and concerns are irrelevant.

what did Souray's comments say? that he was a whiny baby also. he's not "innocent" in this process either. it was well known he wanted to be traded for a while before his stupid comments. was that managements fault or his own selfish agenda? unless we have flat out proof, i guess you just blame management.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:29 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

This is a good thread for 3 months ago, not after three weeks of the most rational, pragmatic and best moves that Oilers have made since... ****, it's been a long time.

I am curious about the Yzerman thing, though... it still seems moronic to me that he just gets handed a position based on what he did as a player when there are far more proven, and probably better, men at the CHL level.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
This is a good thread for 3 months ago, not after three weeks of the most rational, pragmatic and best moves that Oilers have made since... ****, it's been a long time.
Bingo. This is going to take patience, but the last month or so has been steps in the right direction. I'm content with it.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:30 AM
oil4life14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
and yzerman says "no, i dont want to go to Edmonton" and then your post and concerns are irrelevant.

what did Souray's comments say? that he was a whiny baby also. he's not "innocent" in this process either. it was well known he wanted to be traded for a while before his stupid comments. was that managements fault or his own selfish agenda? unless we have flat out proof, i guess you just blame management.
I guess you missed the (or someone else with his rep among players) part

Old
07-09-2010, 01:31 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
I guess you missed the (or someone else with his rep among players) part
How the hell do you know who has "rep" with the players?

Old
07-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Soundwave

I'm really not all that impressed with the front office moves Yzerman has made to be honest (they will regret that St. Louis contract in a few years).

Just because you can put together an Olympic team (where some of his "out there" decisions like Bergeron really didn't pay off much at all) doesn't make you a great GM. Gretzky did that too in 2002.

I don't know if Tambellini is a good GM either, but we'll see.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:37 AM
oil4life14

Quote:

I am curious about the Yzerman thing, though... it still seems moronic to me that he just gets handed a position based on what he did as a player when there are far more proven, and probably better, men at the CHL level.
How the hell do you know they are better?

Old
07-09-2010, 01:39 AM
ThePresent83

Tambo is making sound decisions right now... obviously nothing earth breaking, but he seems to have a direction in mind and is identifying flaws with the team and doing the best to address them.

Hes bought our the lazy, hes making an example of the selfish, and hes drafting bigger, more defensivly aware players.

No reason to fire him, he seems to have a plan.
Wouldnt be visably shaken to see Lowe go though.... but i doubt that would happen, and at least he seems to be sitting back a touch right now

Old
07-09-2010, 01:40 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

I think Oil4life34 IS Souray.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:44 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
How the hell do you know they are better?
Because they've spent years building championship teams in a league with more turnaround than the NHL.

Meanwhile the extent of Steve Yzerman's managerial prowess can be summed up by picking 23 Canadians out of a hat, most obvious selections, with the entirety of Hockey Canada around for guidance.

Bobby friggin' Clarke put together a Gold Medal Olympic team. He couldn't GM worth a damn either.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:44 AM
VelvetJones

Katz has a boat?

Old
07-09-2010, 01:47 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetJones View Post
Katz has a boat?
Come on, Velvet.

All billionaires have boats with hilarious double-entendres for names.

It's the law.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Alex87

If nothing else, Tambellini has proven that he's competent. Yzerman hasn't really proven anything yet. If a GM's worth is measured by his reputation as a player, we never would have promoted Lowe.

Old
07-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Come on, Velvet.

All billionaires have boats with hilarious double-entendres for names.

It's the law.
Katz's should be 'Medicine Man.'

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-09-2010, 01:57 AM
ThePresent83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Katz's should be 'Medicine Man.'
well played

Old
07-09-2010, 02:03 AM
oil4life14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
If nothing else, Tambellini has proven that he's competent. Yzerman hasn't really proven anything yet. If a GM's worth is measured by his reputation as a player, we never would have promoted Lowe.
He has???? How many playoff wins? OH nevermind we never made the playoffs since he took over. We finished last overall that must be what makes him competent. Yes I agree he has made better decisions than Lowe but I dont see him being the guy to get us the free agents we need in the future.

Many of us laughed at the Wang-Snow gong show over the years, and now someone suggests we have something similar here and ....................

Old
07-09-2010, 02:05 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
He has???? How many playoff wins? OH nevermind we never made the playoffs since he took over. We finished last overall that must be what makes him competent. Yes I agree he has made better decisions than Lowe but I dont see him being the guy to get us the free agents we need in the future.

Many of us laughed at the Wang-Snow gong show over the years, and now someone suggests we have something similar here and ....................
Right because if the Oilers had Yzerman they could sign all the big name players...

Old
07-09-2010, 02:06 AM
smokersarejokers

Is this for real?

Old
07-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Doppler Drift

For some strange reason I thought we once tried a respected, and highly successful ex-player as GM once before. Maybe I dreamed it.

Old
07-09-2010, 02:15 AM
oil4life14

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Right because if the Oilers had Yzerman they could sign all the big name players...
The way players talk, leave, and trash this team I worry more about losing future great players because of bad management.

Old
07-09-2010, 02:16 AM
Auguste Escoffier

This thread is so wrong and really has no point.

Old
07-09-2010, 02:19 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
The way players talk, leave, and trash this team I worry more about losing future great players because of bad management.
Which players? Souray doesn't count as he has done this crap.