HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia's Official 2004 Draft Thread (now with draft order on post #2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2004, 08:58 PM
  #51
Pontifex Maximus*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
It was Timander
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/trade.cgi

That was Tampa's, if this is correct.

I'm assuming it was conditional, as Yushkevich did not re-sign.

Pontifex Maximus* is offline  
Old
06-18-2004, 02:26 PM
  #52
Diesel
Registered User
 
Diesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
It all comes down to a difference in philosophy. Kingfish, I agree with you 100%. Its gotten to a point where, I am so used to the Flyers being a "contender" and making the playoffs that anything short of a stanley cup finals appearance just doesn't excite me anymore. The regular season is meaningless to me. I think this team should rebuild and I honestly don't care if *gasp* the Flyers don't make the playoffs next year because of it! If we start over and have a few losing seasons, then I think that I would start to appreciate the things that I used to appreciate before I got used to being knocked out in the conference playoffs every year! (Hard work and improvement) Watching the young kids develop is exciting, I think, and even if some of them don't work out- guess what?! Losing seasons produce more early draft choices and chances are, some of them are going to be pretty good! Don't get me wrong, I WANT the Flyers to win the Stanley Cup. I just don't think they are going to do it with this core of players and by reloading every year with over-priced veterans. Thats just my opinion. You can disagree, and I'm sure many of you do and I'm not saying that you don't have good arguments to the contrary. But Handzus, whether you want to trade him or not, is our most tradable commodity. THe only point where I disagree with kingfish is that I don't think that a mid to late 1st round pick is worth trading Handzus, especially in a weak draft. Handzus is still young enough that he could be part of the rebuilding process if need be, and a mid round pick is only going to be about as good as Handzus at best anyway and not right away. An early 1st isn't going to be as good as Handzus right away either, but if the player has the potential to be great, and the opportunity is there, I'd pull the trigger on it. Clarke likes Handzus, but I garauntee that he would trade him in a fair package if he thought he could get Ovechkin.

Diesel is offline  
Old
06-18-2004, 04:00 PM
  #53
i am dave
Registered User
 
i am dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
Country: United States
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
It all comes down to a difference in philosophy. Kingfish, I agree with you 100%. Its gotten to a point where, I am so used to the Flyers being a "contender" and making the playoffs that anything short of a stanley cup finals appearance just doesn't excite me anymore. The regular season is meaningless to me. I think this team should rebuild and I honestly don't care if *gasp* the Flyers don't make the playoffs next year because of it! If we start over and have a few losing seasons, then I think that I would start to appreciate the things that I used to appreciate before I got used to being knocked out in the conference playoffs every year! (Hard work and improvement) Watching the young kids develop is exciting, I think, and even if some of them don't work out- guess what?! Losing seasons produce more early draft choices and chances are, some of them are going to be pretty good! Don't get me wrong, I WANT the Flyers to win the Stanley Cup. I just don't think they are going to do it with this core of players and by reloading every year with over-priced veterans. Thats just my opinion. You can disagree, and I'm sure many of you do and I'm not saying that you don't have good arguments to the contrary. But Handzus, whether you want to trade him or not, is our most tradable commodity. THe only point where I disagree with kingfish is that I don't think that a mid to late 1st round pick is worth trading Handzus, especially in a weak draft. Handzus is still young enough that he could be part of the rebuilding process if need be, and a mid round pick is only going to be about as good as Handzus at best anyway and not right away. An early 1st isn't going to be as good as Handzus right away either, but if the player has the potential to be great, and the opportunity is there, I'd pull the trigger on it. Clarke likes Handzus, but I garauntee that he would trade him in a fair package if he thought he could get Ovechkin.
Getting Ovechkin, Malkin, et al is not at all possible unless you're talking about trading Carter AND Richards AND Pitkanen and maybe even Gagne. The point is, trading Handzus would be a BAD move. Aside from Primeau, he's the be defensive forward on the team. What I don't understand is the sentiment that, since the "window of opportunity is closed," you should trade your some-what young guys (Handzus) to move up in a weak draft while holding on to your older, arguably washed up guys (Amonte, LeClair). Did I miss something here?

i am dave is offline  
Old
06-18-2004, 04:16 PM
  #54
Diesel
Registered User
 
Diesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
Getting Ovechkin, Malkin, et al is not at all possible unless you're talking about trading Carter AND Richards AND Pitkanen and maybe even Gagne. The point is, trading Handzus would be a BAD move. Aside from Primeau, he's the be defensive forward on the team. What I don't understand is the sentiment that, since the "window of opportunity is closed," you should trade your some-what young guys (Handzus) to move up in a weak draft while holding on to your older, arguably washed up guys (Amonte, LeClair). Did I miss something here?
All I said was that, if the right deal was there, then I'd move Handzus. It doesn't appear to be, and I don't think a mid round 1st round pick is the right deal, even if it were there. You try find takers for LeClair or Amonte'. You will find NO ONE. THe only way we're going to rid ourselves of those guys is with buyouts, and the only way to force a buy out is by paying 2/3 of their remaining salary, which isn't really an option right now. I think we're stuck with both of them next year.

Diesel is offline  
Old
06-18-2004, 04:20 PM
  #55
Diesel
Registered User
 
Diesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
Getting Ovechkin, Malkin, et al is not at all possible unless you're talking about trading Carter AND Richards AND Pitkanen and maybe even Gagne. The point is, trading Handzus would be a BAD move. Aside from Primeau, he's the be defensive forward on the team. What I don't understand is the sentiment that, since the "window of opportunity is closed," you should trade your some-what young guys (Handzus) to move up in a weak draft while holding on to your older, arguably washed up guys (Amonte, LeClair). Did I miss something here?
By the way, it would take ALOT to nab the that first pick, but it will be much less than Carter AND Richards AND Pitkanen AND Gagne. That is absolutely ridiculous. I bet that first pick could be had for Pitkanen, Gagne, Eager and our 1st rounder next year. NO WAY would I give that up, though. Ovechkin is a special player, but not the caliber of Lindros (I'm referring to the player that everyone thought Lindros was at the time and could have been barring all of those concussions, not what he is now) or Lemieux.

Diesel is offline  
Old
06-22-2004, 08:16 PM
  #56
54fightin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Pitt. Post-Gazette

is running a series of article about the draft. They started on Sunday and continue through the week. It is mostly because they have the second pick overall but at least it is something. No hockey news in the Inquirer this past Sunday. Of interest were several quotes from Coyotes scout Ilka Sinisalo. I was not aware he was working for Phoenix. The link for the paper is www.post-gazette.com and the articles are archived in the sports section.

54fightin is offline  
Old
06-23-2004, 09:26 AM
  #57
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,980
vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fightin
I was not aware he was working for Phoenix. The link for the paper is www.post-gazette.com and the articles are archived in the sports section.

He used to work for the Sharks, and I'm pretty sure he was the GM of an SM-liiga team.

GKJ is offline  
Old
06-23-2004, 02:52 PM
  #58
King Fish
Registered User
 
King Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where's ma pizza?
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
It all comes down to a difference in philosophy. Kingfish, I agree with you 100%. Its gotten to a point where, I am so used to the Flyers being a "contender" and making the playoffs that anything short of a stanley cup finals appearance just doesn't excite me anymore. The regular season is meaningless to me. I think this team should rebuild and I honestly don't care if *gasp* the Flyers don't make the playoffs next year because of it! If we start over and have a few losing seasons, then I think that I would start to appreciate the things that I used to appreciate before I got used to being knocked out in the conference playoffs every year! (Hard work and improvement) Watching the young kids develop is exciting, I think, and even if some of them don't work out- guess what?! Losing seasons produce more early draft choices and chances are, some of them are going to be pretty good! Don't get me wrong, I WANT the Flyers to win the Stanley Cup. I just don't think they are going to do it with this core of players and by reloading every year with over-priced veterans. Thats just my opinion. You can disagree, and I'm sure many of you do and I'm not saying that you don't have good arguments to the contrary. But Handzus, whether you want to trade him or not, is our most tradable commodity. THe only point where I disagree with kingfish is that I don't think that a mid to late 1st round pick is worth trading Handzus, especially in a weak draft. Handzus is still young enough that he could be part of the rebuilding process if need be, and a mid round pick is only going to be about as good as Handzus at best anyway and not right away. An early 1st isn't going to be as good as Handzus right away either, but if the player has the potential to be great, and the opportunity is there, I'd pull the trigger on it. Clarke likes Handzus, but I garauntee that he would trade him in a fair package if he thought he could get Ovechkin.
I would'nt trade Zues for a mid to late first round pick! What I would do is trade him to a team in the 5-8 overall range, but I think it would take more than Zues to get to #5. I like Ladd, that's who I would like to target. He could slip to 7 or 8 because of the rising goalie stock. Just a side question, would anyone give up Nitty, Pitkanen, and Richards for the first overall pick?

King Fish is offline  
Old
06-23-2004, 03:46 PM
  #59
FlyerFire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,343
vCash: 500
in a word....

No

FlyerFire is offline  
Old
06-23-2004, 05:29 PM
  #60
Yertle The Turtle
Registered User
 
Yertle The Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Millville, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
No way i would give them up. Maybe Ruzica richards and a next year pick. but the Caps would never take that.

Yertle The Turtle is offline  
Old
06-25-2004, 02:32 PM
  #61
King Fish
Registered User
 
King Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Where's ma pizza?
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
What time is the draft tomorrow? Is it on ESPN or ESPN2?

King Fish is offline  
Old
06-25-2004, 02:35 PM
  #62
IAMCANADIAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Any chance the Flyers could draft Martin Karsums? I think he's rated 50-60 but he could fall due to his size...I'd guess 5'9". I got to see him play about six times for the Moncton Wildcats of the CHL. He's a player you notice every shift of every game he plays! He's very physical and good offensively...I think he could play on the second line in the NHL.

He was also one of the top players at last years WJC Group B.

What do you think?

IAMCANADIAN is offline  
Old
06-25-2004, 05:46 PM
  #63
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,980
vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
Any chance the Flyers could draft Martin Karsums? I think he's rated 50-60 but he could fall due to his size...I'd guess 5'9". I got to see him play about six times for the Moncton Wildcats of the CHL. He's a player you notice every shift of every game he plays! He's very physical and good offensively...I think he could play on the second line in the NHL.

He was also one of the top players at last years WJC Group B.

What do you think?
Is he Slovak, or by Group B do you mean Division B (or I or something).


The Flyers could draft about anyone with that pick, and anyone at 5-9 could be the next Martin St. Louis, espically if he is accurate to your description.

The 3rd round pick we have, all I want is for this guy to make it to the NHL within 3 years.

GKJ is offline  
Old
06-25-2004, 08:05 PM
  #64
IAMCANADIAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Is he Slovak, or by Group B do you mean Division B (or I or something).


The Flyers could draft about anyone with that pick, and anyone at 5-9 could be the next Martin St. Louis, espically if he is accurate to your description.

The 3rd round pick we have, all I want is for this guy to make it to the NHL within 3 years.
I found this link to give you some more info on Karsums. Keep in mind this was his rookie year, playing in the CHL.

NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING SERVICE - FINAL NORTH AMERICAN SKATER RANKING

41 KARSUMS, MARTINS QMJHL MONCTON 26-Feb-86 5' 10" 177 RW R 60 30 23 53 76

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=73211


I guess they can't decide on his size I WOULDN'T say he's the next Martin St.Louis...he's just a very good player...but you never know if he keeps developing!?!

By Group B, I meant he was playing in the Group with countries such as Belarus, Japan..etc and not in Group A with Canada, USA etc.

IAMCANADIAN is offline  
Old
06-25-2004, 08:56 PM
  #65
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,554
vCash: 500
Tim Brent has NHL all over him, I can't believe he was let go.

FearTheFlyers is offline  
Old
06-25-2004, 10:06 PM
  #66
Rex88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
Tim Brent has NHL all over him, I can't believe he was let go.
We will not get a sniff of him by the third round

Rex88 is online now  
Old
06-25-2004, 10:26 PM
  #67
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,980
vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
I found this link to give you some more info on Karsums. Keep in mind this was his rookie year, playing in the CHL.

NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING SERVICE - FINAL NORTH AMERICAN SKATER RANKING

41 KARSUMS, MARTINS QMJHL MONCTON 26-Feb-86 5' 10" 177 RW R 60 30 23 53 76

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=73211


I guess they can't decide on his size I WOULDN'T say he's the next Martin St.Louis...he's just a very good player...but you never know if he keeps developing!?!

By Group B, I meant he was playing in the Group with countries such as Belarus, Japan..etc and not in Group A with Canada, USA etc.
I like him because he is Latvian and I like Euros from less known countries (and Sweden and Finland). I don't know how much the Flyers have a need for someone like him, I think they'll go bigger with their first pick, if he lasts until round 4 though I think they should take a shot, but anyone who is small and will compete and is determined and won't quit, I can find a spot on my team for him.

GKJ is offline  
Old
06-26-2004, 10:04 AM
  #68
Pontifex Maximus*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
So will Clarke take John Carter at 92, if available? They seem pretty confident they will get a good prospect, so will they be going for a player that dropped significantly, or a sleeper? Even if they get a nobody, we still got Umberger.

Regardless, the real fun for us comes tomorrow, with a potential of 13 picks and a whole lot of research to do.

Pontifex Maximus* is offline  
Old
06-26-2004, 10:08 AM
  #69
Pontifex Maximus*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/dr...story/1656.asp

Interesting note on Bruckler.

Pontifex Maximus* is offline  
Old
06-26-2004, 05:37 PM
  #70
Rex88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus
It depends on Burke I would think.
If Burke is traded/not here, then I could see Bruckler signed for the Phantoms.

Rex88 is online now  
Old
06-27-2004, 08:41 AM
  #71
Flyer765
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Telford, England
Country: England
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Can anyone tell me why we passed on Wes O'Neill ranked 23rd North American Skater and took R.J.Anderson who was ranked 82nd. They are both defenders and Anderson is about 5 inchs and 20 lbs smaller than O'Neill.

Flyer765 is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 08:55 AM
  #72
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedoruk_#29
Can anyone tell me why we passed on Wes O'Neill ranked 23rd North American Skater and took R.J.Anderson who was ranked 82nd. They are both defenders and Anderson is about 5 inchs and 20 lbs smaller than O'Neill.
O'Neill sounds like he has rocks in his head, very poor hockey sense, and also is a big body, but fails to use the size he has, ala fan favorite Chris Therien.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 09:07 AM
  #73
Flyer765
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Telford, England
Country: England
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Ahhh Therien no need to say any more.

Flyer765 is offline  
Old
06-27-2004, 03:01 PM
  #74
Arastiroth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 1,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BClanc159
how about blake wheeler? if he's still around in the 3rd round i think we should consider drafting him. we need some wingers!!
That option got knocked out real fast. Who would've thought he'd go that high?

Arastiroth is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.