HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia's Official 2004 Draft Thread (now with draft order on post #2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
It was Timander
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/trade.cgi

That was Tampa's, if this is correct.

I'm assuming it was conditional, as Yushkevich did not re-sign.

Old
06-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Diesel

It all comes down to a difference in philosophy. Kingfish, I agree with you 100%. Its gotten to a point where, I am so used to the Flyers being a "contender" and making the playoffs that anything short of a stanley cup finals appearance just doesn't excite me anymore. The regular season is meaningless to me. I think this team should rebuild and I honestly don't care if *gasp* the Flyers don't make the playoffs next year because of it! If we start over and have a few losing seasons, then I think that I would start to appreciate the things that I used to appreciate before I got used to being knocked out in the conference playoffs every year! (Hard work and improvement) Watching the young kids develop is exciting, I think, and even if some of them don't work out- guess what?! Losing seasons produce more early draft choices and chances are, some of them are going to be pretty good! Don't get me wrong, I WANT the Flyers to win the Stanley Cup. I just don't think they are going to do it with this core of players and by reloading every year with over-priced veterans. Thats just my opinion. You can disagree, and I'm sure many of you do and I'm not saying that you don't have good arguments to the contrary. But Handzus, whether you want to trade him or not, is our most tradable commodity. THe only point where I disagree with kingfish is that I don't think that a mid to late 1st round pick is worth trading Handzus, especially in a weak draft. Handzus is still young enough that he could be part of the rebuilding process if need be, and a mid round pick is only going to be about as good as Handzus at best anyway and not right away. An early 1st isn't going to be as good as Handzus right away either, but if the player has the potential to be great, and the opportunity is there, I'd pull the trigger on it. Clarke likes Handzus, but I garauntee that he would trade him in a fair package if he thought he could get Ovechkin.

Old
06-18-2004, 04:00 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
It all comes down to a difference in philosophy. Kingfish, I agree with you 100%. Its gotten to a point where, I am so used to the Flyers being a "contender" and making the playoffs that anything short of a stanley cup finals appearance just doesn't excite me anymore. The regular season is meaningless to me. I think this team should rebuild and I honestly don't care if *gasp* the Flyers don't make the playoffs next year because of it! If we start over and have a few losing seasons, then I think that I would start to appreciate the things that I used to appreciate before I got used to being knocked out in the conference playoffs every year! (Hard work and improvement) Watching the young kids develop is exciting, I think, and even if some of them don't work out- guess what?! Losing seasons produce more early draft choices and chances are, some of them are going to be pretty good! Don't get me wrong, I WANT the Flyers to win the Stanley Cup. I just don't think they are going to do it with this core of players and by reloading every year with over-priced veterans. Thats just my opinion. You can disagree, and I'm sure many of you do and I'm not saying that you don't have good arguments to the contrary. But Handzus, whether you want to trade him or not, is our most tradable commodity. THe only point where I disagree with kingfish is that I don't think that a mid to late 1st round pick is worth trading Handzus, especially in a weak draft. Handzus is still young enough that he could be part of the rebuilding process if need be, and a mid round pick is only going to be about as good as Handzus at best anyway and not right away. An early 1st isn't going to be as good as Handzus right away either, but if the player has the potential to be great, and the opportunity is there, I'd pull the trigger on it. Clarke likes Handzus, but I garauntee that he would trade him in a fair package if he thought he could get Ovechkin.
Getting Ovechkin, Malkin, et al is not at all possible unless you're talking about trading Carter AND Richards AND Pitkanen and maybe even Gagne. The point is, trading Handzus would be a BAD move. Aside from Primeau, he's the be defensive forward on the team. What I don't understand is the sentiment that, since the "window of opportunity is closed," you should trade your some-what young guys (Handzus) to move up in a weak draft while holding on to your older, arguably washed up guys (Amonte, LeClair). Did I miss something here?

Old
06-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
Getting Ovechkin, Malkin, et al is not at all possible unless you're talking about trading Carter AND Richards AND Pitkanen and maybe even Gagne. The point is, trading Handzus would be a BAD move. Aside from Primeau, he's the be defensive forward on the team. What I don't understand is the sentiment that, since the "window of opportunity is closed," you should trade your some-what young guys (Handzus) to move up in a weak draft while holding on to your older, arguably washed up guys (Amonte, LeClair). Did I miss something here?
All I said was that, if the right deal was there, then I'd move Handzus. It doesn't appear to be, and I don't think a mid round 1st round pick is the right deal, even if it were there. You try find takers for LeClair or Amonte'. You will find NO ONE. THe only way we're going to rid ourselves of those guys is with buyouts, and the only way to force a buy out is by paying 2/3 of their remaining salary, which isn't really an option right now. I think we're stuck with both of them next year.

Old
06-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
By the way, it would take ALOT to nab the that first pick, but it will be much less than Carter AND Richards AND Pitkanen AND Gagne. That is absolutely ridiculous. I bet that first pick could be had for Pitkanen, Gagne, Eager and our 1st rounder next year. NO WAY would I give that up, though. Ovechkin is a special player, but not the caliber of Lindros (I'm referring to the player that everyone thought Lindros was at the time and could have been barring all of those concussions, not what he is now) or Lemieux.

Old
06-22-2004, 08:16 PM
54fightin

Pitt. Post-Gazette

is running a series of article about the draft. They started on Sunday and continue through the week. It is mostly because they have the second pick overall but at least it is something. No hockey news in the Inquirer this past Sunday. Of interest were several quotes from Coyotes scout Ilka Sinisalo. I was not aware he was working for Phoenix. The link for the paper is www.post-gazette.com and the articles are archived in the sports section.

Old
06-23-2004, 09:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fightin
I was not aware he was working for Phoenix. The link for the paper is www.post-gazette.com and the articles are archived in the sports section.

He used to work for the Sharks, and I'm pretty sure he was the GM of an SM-liiga team.

Old
06-23-2004, 02:52 PM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
I would'nt trade Zues for a mid to late first round pick! What I would do is trade him to a team in the 5-8 overall range, but I think it would take more than Zues to get to #5. I like Ladd, that's who I would like to target. He could slip to 7 or 8 because of the rising goalie stock. Just a side question, would anyone give up Nitty, Pitkanen, and Richards for the first overall pick?

Old
06-23-2004, 03:46 PM
FlyerFire

in a word....

No

Old
06-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
No way i would give them up. Maybe Ruzica richards and a next year pick. but the Caps would never take that.

Old
06-25-2004, 02:32 PM
King Fish

What time is the draft tomorrow? Is it on ESPN or ESPN2?

Old
06-25-2004, 02:35 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Any chance the Flyers could draft Martin Karsums? I think he's rated 50-60 but he could fall due to his size...I'd guess 5'9". I got to see him play about six times for the Moncton Wildcats of the CHL. He's a player you notice every shift of every game he plays! He's very physical and good offensively...I think he could play on the second line in the NHL.

He was also one of the top players at last years WJC Group B.

What do you think?

Old
06-25-2004, 05:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
Any chance the Flyers could draft Martin Karsums? I think he's rated 50-60 but he could fall due to his size...I'd guess 5'9". I got to see him play about six times for the Moncton Wildcats of the CHL. He's a player you notice every shift of every game he plays! He's very physical and good offensively...I think he could play on the second line in the NHL.

He was also one of the top players at last years WJC Group B.

What do you think?
Is he Slovak, or by Group B do you mean Division B (or I or something).

The Flyers could draft about anyone with that pick, and anyone at 5-9 could be the next Martin St. Louis, espically if he is accurate to your description.

The 3rd round pick we have, all I want is for this guy to make it to the NHL within 3 years.

Old
06-25-2004, 08:05 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Is he Slovak, or by Group B do you mean Division B (or I or something).

The Flyers could draft about anyone with that pick, and anyone at 5-9 could be the next Martin St. Louis, espically if he is accurate to your description.

The 3rd round pick we have, all I want is for this guy to make it to the NHL within 3 years.
I found this link to give you some more info on Karsums. Keep in mind this was his rookie year, playing in the CHL.

NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING SERVICE - FINAL NORTH AMERICAN SKATER RANKING

41 KARSUMS, MARTINS QMJHL MONCTON 26-Feb-86 5' 10" 177 RW R 60 30 23 53 76

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=73211

I guess they can't decide on his size I WOULDN'T say he's the next Martin St.Louis...he's just a very good player...but you never know if he keeps developing!?!

By Group B, I meant he was playing in the Group with countries such as Belarus, Japan..etc and not in Group A with Canada, USA etc.

Old
06-25-2004, 08:56 PM
FearTheFlyers

Tim Brent has NHL all over him, I can't believe he was let go.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
Tim Brent has NHL all over him, I can't believe he was let go.
We will not get a sniff of him by the third round

Old
06-25-2004, 10:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
I found this link to give you some more info on Karsums. Keep in mind this was his rookie year, playing in the CHL.

NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING SERVICE - FINAL NORTH AMERICAN SKATER RANKING

41 KARSUMS, MARTINS QMJHL MONCTON 26-Feb-86 5' 10" 177 RW R 60 30 23 53 76

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=73211

I guess they can't decide on his size I WOULDN'T say he's the next Martin St.Louis...he's just a very good player...but you never know if he keeps developing!?!

By Group B, I meant he was playing in the Group with countries such as Belarus, Japan..etc and not in Group A with Canada, USA etc.
I like him because he is Latvian and I like Euros from less known countries (and Sweden and Finland). I don't know how much the Flyers have a need for someone like him, I think they'll go bigger with their first pick, if he lasts until round 4 though I think they should take a shot, but anyone who is small and will compete and is determined and won't quit, I can find a spot on my team for him.

Old
06-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Pontifex Maximus*

So will Clarke take John Carter at 92, if available? They seem pretty confident they will get a good prospect, so will they be going for a player that dropped significantly, or a sleeper? Even if they get a nobody, we still got Umberger.

Regardless, the real fun for us comes tomorrow, with a potential of 13 picks and a whole lot of research to do.

Old
06-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Pontifex Maximus*

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/dr...story/1656.asp

Interesting note on Bruckler.

Old
06-26-2004, 05:37 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus
It depends on Burke I would think.
If Burke is traded/not here, then I could see Bruckler signed for the Phantoms.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:41 AM
Flyer765

Can anyone tell me why we passed on Wes O'Neill ranked 23rd North American Skater and took R.J.Anderson who was ranked 82nd. They are both defenders and Anderson is about 5 inchs and 20 lbs smaller than O'Neill.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:55 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedoruk_#29
Can anyone tell me why we passed on Wes O'Neill ranked 23rd North American Skater and took R.J.Anderson who was ranked 82nd. They are both defenders and Anderson is about 5 inchs and 20 lbs smaller than O'Neill.
O'Neill sounds like he has rocks in his head, very poor hockey sense, and also is a big body, but fails to use the size he has, ala fan favorite Chris Therien.

Old
06-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Flyer765

Ahhh Therien no need to say any more.

Old
06-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Arastiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClanc159
how about blake wheeler? if he's still around in the 3rd round i think we should consider drafting him. we need some wingers!!
That option got knocked out real fast. Who would've thought he'd go that high?

Closed Thread