HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which sucked more: 2000 or 2004????

View Poll Results: Which game seven ECF loss is harder to swallow??
2000 (2-1 vs. New Jersey) 38 73.08%
2004 (2-1 vs. Tampa Bay) 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2004, 09:57 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

vCash: 500
Which sucked more: 2000 or 2004????

Tough call, very tough game seven losses to accept...I'm split at which one was tougher on the flyers fans.

Tale of the tape:
2000:
-Game winning goal by Elias with two minutes to play:
-We know we blew a 3-1 lead
-...to our arch rival
-...losing game seven at home
-Ended in embarassment for us in the locker room as well, (Lindros debacle to follow)

2004:
-48 hours before, our emotions were sky high.
-Painful 30+ minutes we had to score one freaking goal
-Tampa seemed beatable to the average hockey fan, not casting the 'aura' that the jersey devils did
-Torn apart by injuries, still in it till the last second
-High profile players (Zhamnov, Roenick, Amonte...Primeau??) will most likely never win a cup
-We would of played calgary for the cup

talk now.

Old
05-22-2004, 10:01 PM
John Flyers Fan

2000 being up 3 games to 1 was far more difficult to swallow.

Old
05-22-2004, 10:02 PM
RoDu

2000 hurt alot worse, we had them, but couldn't finish them

Old
05-22-2004, 10:03 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
2000 being up 3 games to 1 was far more difficult to swallow.
yes it is...but after game six, i pretty much concluded game seven was gone...i picked 2004, the dropoff from 48 hours ago when this team pulled game six out of nowhere is a complete 180...I think this year's team played with more heart, and played more worthy as stanley cup champs go. To use train analogies, 2000 was a wreck waiting to happen, 2004 was a ride that...just came to an end

Old
05-22-2004, 10:06 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
2000 (2-1 vs. New Jersey) not even close IMO. being up 3-1 to our hated rival the Devils and we lose...come on.

Old
05-22-2004, 10:22 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
2004, we beat our old rivals, Ottawa is out, we beat toronto, and then we lose to a frickin team from florida after the emotional high.

i am just so in the dumps, i was almost expecting to lose after the devils won game 6 in 2000.

Old
05-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

2000 by far. Although it is up in the air if we would have beaten Dallas (with Hitchcock). Although I'm 100% sure we'd beat Calgary and win the cup, this loss doesn't really hurt right now. Right now.

Old
05-22-2004, 10:58 PM
capn89*

Old
05-22-2004, 11:09 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
2000 -- No one really injured besides headcase boy. Great players. No reason to lose.

This one hurts, sure, but look at what these guys had to deal with to force a team like TB to a game 7. We had a small forward playing defense and playing it well. We had a relative rookie goaltender in net that no believed in. Everyone just counted us out because of the teams we had to face before TB. No one is going to say anything bad, we should have lost a long time ago but we didn't. We didn't quit.

It will hurt but it won't be because of some side drama. We left out on the ice. Tampa was just better. We get rid of some of the dead weight and get some new blood, we will be better than ever.

Old
05-23-2004, 12:15 AM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
We get rid of some of the dead weight and get some new blood, we will be better than ever.
Don't count on it

Old
05-23-2004, 12:24 AM
capn89*

I agree with the comments about moving the dead weight on this team, but I just don't see it happening, which is a shame. And gagne as well, what he did in the last couple games was great, but it shouldn't take the GM of a team calling someone out to get him to perform.

For the first time in decades, I don't think anyone will be saying we need a better goalie. Esche was good, he held them in there... the offense just didnt do it for him, a BIG let down. Oh wait... check that, get rid of Burke!

Old
05-23-2004, 05:38 AM
Rex88

2000 by a huge amount

Old
05-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Steve L*

2000 by far, this team gave everything they had even though the D was decimated by injury. I have no problem with them at all. The 2000 team on the other hand....

Old
05-23-2004, 06:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
I picked 2004. In 2000 we were playing a team who knew how to come back, the Devils had won before, they had beat the Flyers before, and knew how to win.

2004, the Flyers knew how to win. Let's admit it, this was our year. Calgary in the finals, Tampa Bay in a sport they had never been before, and the Flyers were the vets. Most of these guys played game 7's before. Many of these guys have been to the finals before. Tampa Bay had 3 players who had been to the finals....3! And one of them is Chris Dingman.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-23-2004, 06:52 AM
IronMarshal

Aaahhhhhhhh Splash!

Jersey was worse. Jersey is always worse. Last night? I have been a philly fan too long. I am used to losing. I told my boys to "get used to it. This is your future as a Philly fan."

Old
05-23-2004, 09:07 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
For me, it's 2000.....not even close.

2000 left such a bad taste in my mouth, with the blown lead to the hated Devs and the total implosion of the team afterwards. And the Lindros saga.....

2004 gave all they had and have nothing to be ashamed of. And to say Calgary is in the finals, like that would have guaranteed us a Cup if we beat TB, is just plain wrong. I've watched almost every Flames playoff game, and if the Flyers had beaten TB and played the Flames, they would have seen the same thing they'd been getting from the Bolts......a fast, hard-hitting style of play that was wearing the older Flyer players out. I'm not saying the Flyers wouldn't have won had they played Calgary, it just wouldn't have been the cakewalk everyone seems to be thinking in this thread.

Old
05-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Hockeyfan_86

Send a message via MSN to Hockeyfan_86
What exactly happened in 2000 after the loss? Someone said the team "imploded", but I must admit I wasn't following hockey very closely back then. I assume its related to Lindros being smoked by Stevens?

Old
05-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan_86
What exactly happened in 2000 after the loss? Someone said the team "imploded", but I must admit I wasn't following hockey very closely back then. I assume its related to Lindros being smoked by Stevens?
Game 1: Devils win
Game 2: Flyers win
Game 3: Flyers win
Game 4: Flyers win
Game 5: Devils win
Game 6: Devils win
Game 7: Devils win

Old
05-23-2004, 01:18 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus
Game 1: Devils win
Game 2: Flyers win
Game 3: Flyers win
Game 4: Flyers win

Game 5: Devils win
Game 6: Devils win
Game 7: Devils win

Old
05-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Dr Love

2000 by far. 3-1 series lead blown, Lindros, Neilson, and it was the Devils. This year I'm dissapointed, in 2000 I was mad.

Old
05-23-2004, 09:47 PM
sinisalo

2000 sucked because the Flyers blew a 3-1 lead. But, NJ was a very good team.

2004 sucked because the "experienced" Flyers lost to a bunch of snot nosed kids and a team that was just horrible 2 short years ago. Very, very dissapointing. I can't believe that in game 7...one win from the finals...with all the former 50 goal scorers... and "experienced, seasoned" veterans....1 goal from a Dman?!?!?!?! Where were all those "experienced" guys in game 7? I've been saying it for a few years, the core of this team just does not gell. They need to be replaced with some new youth.

Watching Leclair and Amonte constantly cough up the puck and trip over their own skates all night was painful. Amonte had some dreadful turnovers in his own zone. Johnsson was atrocious since breaking his hand. He gave up the puck a lot and could not move anybody. His hand really hindered his play. It was evident that the Flyers needed a physical Dman even though they had the size advantage over TB overall. They didn't have a Kubina type guy who would smack the TB F in the Flyer's zone. Malakhov was the closest thing, but he looked like he was tired out in game 7. Dissapointing finish in game 7. I just knew that game 6 would be the Flyers last hurrah for 2004.

Old
05-23-2004, 10:06 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1946
2000 for me was filled with anger and rage. Up 3-1, on their way to the Cup, Game 5 (and if necessary Game 7) at home. The playoff ride was fun, fun, fun and then BOOM! It was over like that. The game, the series, the season, "the next one." All done in a flash!

2004 was heartbreaking. Reminded me of 1987 more so than anything else. This team fought off all negativity and refused to succumb to any detrimental act tossed their way. Management answered the bell by filling in any need with appropriate swiftness, coaches somehow molded and sculpted a winning and cohesive unit despite the irregular loss of man-power and players responded with an admirable and spirited approach.

They gave their all and left every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears on this ice that night. That can't be said of many of the past losses. The pain stings, it is nauseating but no one is finger-pointing and they gave us so many splendid moments this post-season. I for one am grateful. Thank you, boys!

Old
05-23-2004, 10:23 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisalo
2004 sucked because the "experienced" Flyers lost to a bunch of snot nosed kids and a team that was just horrible 2 short years ago. Very, very dissapointing. I can't believe that in game 7...one win from the finals...with all the former 50 goal scorers... and "experienced, seasoned" veterans....1 goal from a Dman?!?!?!?! Where were all those "experienced" guys in game 7? I've been saying it for a few years, the core of this team just does not gell. They need to be replaced with some new youth.

Watching Leclair and Amonte constantly cough up the puck and trip over their own skates all night was painful. Amonte had some dreadful turnovers in his own zone. Johnsson was atrocious since breaking his hand. He gave up the puck a lot and could not move anybody. His hand really hindered his play. It was evident that the Flyers needed a physical Dman even though they had the size advantage over TB overall. They didn't have a Kubina type guy who would smack the TB F in the Flyer's zone. Malakhov was the closest thing, but he looked like he was tired out in game 7. Dissapointing finish in game 7. I just knew that game 6 would be the Flyers last hurrah for 2004.
why do you even follow this team?

every time i see a post from you, it just trashes the Flyers. Tampa Bay is a young team with offensive flair and a hot goalie, they earned the top seed, home ice advantage, and that's why they beat us. They're not 'snot nosed', certainly not a fluke, they're a good team, they won.

Don't forget the fact we've already knocked out two legit cup contenders in the east. They've faced a tougher road to the 3rd round than TB, another reward for earning the top seed. A consequence of that for us was, we were simply beaten up. Think of a Flyer who didn't get hurt at some point during this playoffs. You weren't on here pissing on and on about experience when our own inexperienced Robert Esche beat Ed Belfour and Martin Brodeur. I'm not making excuses why we lost, I'm just proving a point that this team really gutted it out to end up where they made it.

As rotten as you say this team is, they came within one late goal of playing in sudden death for a chance to go to the finals. As bad as John LeClair, Tony Amonte, and the PP were, something I won't disagree with you on, they found ways around it and won 11 games. They generated excitement, something that is rare to come by in the playoffs for us. Everyone on this board expresses their gratitude for how fun this playoff run was to follow, except for you.

Old
05-23-2004, 11:39 PM
The Flash

2000 was much worse. Boucher was playing well, and Philly had NJ on the rocks. Then word came that Lindros would be coming back for game 6. The hype and optimism was at a high. I really believed that Philly was going to win. Then Stevens took out Big E and they went on to the Finals.

This year, even though there was a Game 7, the Optimism just wasnt there. In my heart, i wanted the Flyers to win, but in my head, it kept saying Tampa would win thus the result was expected though disappointing.

Last edited by The Flash: 05-24-2004 at 12:34 AM.
Old
05-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

That Jersey series was the low point of my life...this year I was proud to be a fan.

Closed Thread