HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Legwand?

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2004, 07:47 PM
Dangerdanger

vCash: 500
Legwand?

Well, I've been thinking that if we can't sign Nedved, perhaps now would be a good time to go for Legwand. Preds fans for the most part seem to be low on him, but it could turn out to be a real steal. Anybody want to get on this bus with me? Now i just need to decide what I think would be fair.

Old
05-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Seachd

I think it would cost too much to get him. I'd love to have him, but I don't know if I'd be willing to give up what it takes.

Old
05-23-2004, 09:55 PM
Mizral

First off, there's no way the Preds trade an impact player to help out the Oilers.

Second off, the Preds would want York + stuff back for sure.

Old
05-23-2004, 10:01 PM
windowlicker

While the fan base may be ready for a shakeup after their first playoff appearance, Poile wasnt born yesterday. He knows Legwands upside (A former 2nd overall, 24 year old Big center coming into his own with decent offensive totals) Would he really want to trade him to a team he may be fighting tooth & nail again for a playoff spot? On top of which, in a deal like this we would be giving up quantity for quality. It would be like trading Comrie to Anaheim or Phoenix for prospects. It aint gonna happen (although it would be great if it could.)

Old
05-24-2004, 01:07 AM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
First off, there's no way the Preds trade an impact player to help out the Oilers.

Second off, the Preds would want York + stuff back for sure.
This obssesion of Mike York is bordering homoerotic. The guy didn't even make Team USA and you think he's the best Oiler. Oh yeah that makes a lot of sense. Roll eyes roll eyes. Mike York is a decent player. A second liner at best, and he does show a lot of heart but not enough world class skill to take the best Oiler player title.

I would never trade for Legwand. He's another career 2nd liner in the mold of Patrick Stefan. Why give up soo much for a guy who does so little for this team. How would the addition of Legwand honestly impact htis team? Geeeze guys. You have to face it...Nedved is sadly our only option.

If we want an impact player that i would personally overpay disgustingly for it would be for Mark Bell. Mark Bell is a Bill Guerin playing center and the guy is huge and a powerforward. I would honestly trade Hemsky Smyth 2 first rounders for Bell.

Old
05-24-2004, 01:16 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
If we want an impact player that i would personally overpay disgustingly for it would be for Mark Bell. Mark Bell is a Bill Guerin playing center and the guy is huge and a powerforward. I would honestly trade Hemsky Smyth 2 first rounders for Bell.
But Bell didn't even make team Canada. Why would you want him?

Old
05-24-2004, 01:25 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Funny you should mention obsessions and homoerotic there outkast... this is what, the 700th time you've brought up Bell?

6'3 205 isn't huge... not by a long shot. And he hasn't shown anything close to being an impact player... in fact, at this point in time Legwand has been more of an impact player than Bell has.

I wouldn't overpay for either of these guys, and especially not to the extent of Smyth and 2 1st rounders, that is out and out loonie.

Old
05-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
This obssesion of Mike York is bordering homoerotic. The guy didn't even make Team USA and you think he's the best Oiler. Oh yeah that makes a lot of sense. Roll eyes roll eyes. Mike York is a decent player. A second liner at best, and he does show a lot of heart but not enough world class skill to take the best Oiler player title.

I would never trade for Legwand. He's another career 2nd liner in the mold of Patrick Stefan. Why give up soo much for a guy who does so little for this team. How would the addition of Legwand honestly impact htis team? Geeeze guys. You have to face it...Nedved is sadly our only option.

Old
05-24-2004, 01:58 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Funny you should mention obsessions and homoerotic there outkast... this is what, the 700th time you've brought up Bell?

6'3 205 isn't huge... not by a long shot. And he hasn't shown anything close to being an impact player... in fact, at this point in time Legwand has been more of an impact player than Bell has.

I wouldn't overpay for either of these guys, and especially not to the extent of Smyth and 2 1st rounders, that is out and out loonie.
:lol

Old
05-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Dangerdanger

Well, I guess Ill just quietly pray that we get him. Back to the drawing board.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:16 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Personally, I would love to see us get Legwand. However, I'm not sure I'd want to give up what would be necessary to aquire him. If we could get him for Isbister or Rita and a 2nd I'd go for it.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:26 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:

Glad you're not the GM.

Regarding the original topic. To get Legwand we'd have to overpay. Somehing I'm not willing to do for a player with limited offensive output.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Bergeron47

Quote:
This obssesion of Mike York is bordering homoerotic.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:34 PM
OilerLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
But Bell didn't even make team Canada. Why would you want him?
ZING!

Old
05-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
it was about aboyt a year i made a proposal for legward that involved York, Chimera, Rita and the oilers' 1st round in 2003 (it was my first one after being on HF for a year or so)

like always I got burned, cuz the preds didn't want York back. they didn't want to lose their star that plays defense, words were exchanged it was agree to disagree

back to now time, so unless Lowe over-pays the preds won't listen for Legward

Old
05-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Lowetide

Its actually an interesting question: how much, if any, would you have to add to Mike York in order to acquire David Legwand?

I like Legwand alot, and York has been hurt both seasons he's played here.

However, York is only 2 years older, and is his equal offensively imo. Add that to York being a very smart player who is willing to accept any role asked, and he looks pretty damn good to me, Team USA slight or no.

Numbers per 82 games
Mike York 21-30-51
David Legwand 16-28-44

What would you add to York to get Legwand?

Old
05-24-2004, 05:27 PM
ToothlessAggression

Quote:
Yet whenever he has been healthy with the Oilers he has infact been the best player on the team. Do you have a personal vendetta against him or something?

And this has been eating away at me, what is with Gene Principe (or his twin?) in your avatar?

Old
05-24-2004, 06:02 PM
scotchtapejr.

If you believe that York is our best player than you are nothing but a Homer who hates Fergie

Old
05-24-2004, 07:56 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

Don forget, Outkast said he'd trade Smyth, Hemsky and 2 1st rounders. That is an overpayment bigtime. Outkast, I'm sure glad you're not the GM of this team. You'd have driven this team to the ground by now.

06-09-2004, 12:29 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

sorry to drudge up an old topic but, well...what else is there to talk about, right now?

as any preds poster can tell you, i'm not the biggest legwand fan in the world(triggrman) nor am i one of those rashly calling him a 'bust' (dulzhok) i stand pretty much on the fence. he's a big center, excellent defensively...who can score goals

What you have to understand is that centers in the Predators organization, from here until Trotz moves on...are NEVER going to put up big numbers. It's the nature of Trotz's system. He loves to throw this at the opposition:

blue------------------------C------------------line

..............RD.................................. ....................

............................................. LW.......................

..................................RW.............. ............................
....................................X(goal)....... ...........................
.......................................LD......... ..............................

as you see, with the skill level of Timonen and Zidlicky offensively(outside of Erat, our two best puckhandlers), Trotz will use them offensively, and the center and the defensive half of the pairing(eaton, hamhuis, hnidy) will cover the blue line. it's the same story with greg johnson and it completely stifled andreas johansson's scoring, when he was moved to the position. I think it's this system that misleads people on Legwand's offensive numbers. He's put up a decent amount of assists, as he should...but until we switch systems...his numbers are going to dwell around the 16-20 mark. Most of his goals came on odd-man rushes, because, while he didn't get to display it much while a forecheck was established\the puck was being moved in the zone...he has some SICK scoring instincts. He's got moves, he's lightning quick, and he's probably the single best person for us to have on a breakaway(steve sullivan included). at times, he's tentative...and tries to pass too much in those situations when he should shoot, but i think that's a result of not getting the opportunity much. I'm near willing to bet that in a traditional two d-men back system, legwand would be scoring between 25-30 goals. he's got the tools to do so...and he's just as good defensively. if there's one thing i can fault david for...it's motivation. he has nights where he just..trudges around, and doesn't seem to care very much..and he's been publically called out over it. that said...he's not perfect...but he is, without a doubt, more than a patrik stefan second line kind of guy. he's, unfortunately for him, mired in a system that wants its centers to make the play and make sure no play develops for the opponent...rather than finishing it.

with all that in mind...I don't think we're good trading partners. we're DESPERATELY thin at center(if Chipchura is available, you can bet the farm he'll be a Predator), and we don't even have much in the way of prospects at that position. We simply can't afford to give him up, when we're likely giving UP on arkhipov, this summer. i'd like to be able to trade him simply because i feel like we're severely limiting him. he's going to be one of those guys that scores a ton of goals for another team, and everyone says, 'man, sucks for nashville' and i won't be the least bit surprised. unfortunately, we just can't afford to do so.

Old
06-09-2004, 01:05 AM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
sorry to drudge up an old topic but, well...what else is there to talk about, right now?

as any preds poster can tell you, i'm not the biggest legwand fan in the world(triggrman) nor am i one of those rashly calling him a 'bust' (dulzhok) i stand pretty much on the fence. he's a big center, excellent defensively...who can score goals

What you have to understand is that centers in the Predators organization, from here until Trotz moves on...are NEVER going to put up big numbers. It's the nature of Trotz's system. He loves to throw this at the opposition:

blue------------------------C------------------line

..............RD.................................. ....................

............................................. LW.......................

..................................RW.............. ............................
....................................X(goal)....... ...........................
.......................................LD......... ..............................

as you see, with the skill level of Timonen and Zidlicky offensively(outside of Erat, our two best puckhandlers), Trotz will use them offensively, and the center and the defensive half of the pairing(eaton, hamhuis, hnidy) will cover the blue line. it's the same story with greg johnson and it completely stifled andreas johansson's scoring, when he was moved to the position. I think it's this system that misleads people on Legwand's offensive numbers. He's put up a decent amount of assists, as he should...but until we switch systems...his numbers are going to dwell around the 16-20 mark. Most of his goals came on odd-man rushes, because, while he didn't get to display it much while a forecheck was established\the puck was being moved in the zone...he has some SICK scoring instincts. He's got moves, he's lightning quick, and he's probably the single best person for us to have on a breakaway(steve sullivan included). at times, he's tentative...and tries to pass too much in those situations when he should shoot, but i think that's a result of not getting the opportunity much. I'm near willing to bet that in a traditional two d-men back system, legwand would be scoring between 25-30 goals. he's got the tools to do so...and he's just as good defensively. if there's one thing i can fault david for...it's motivation. he has nights where he just..trudges around, and doesn't seem to care very much..and he's been publically called out over it. that said...he's not perfect...but he is, without a doubt, more than a patrik stefan second line kind of guy. he's, unfortunately for him, mired in a system that wants its centers to make the play and make sure no play develops for the opponent...rather than finishing it.

with all that in mind...I don't think we're good trading partners. we're DESPERATELY thin at center(if Chipchura is available, you can bet the farm he'll be a Predator), and we don't even have much in the way of prospects at that position. We simply can't afford to give him up, when we're likely giving UP on arkhipov, this summer. i'd like to be able to trade him simply because i feel like we're severely limiting him. he's going to be one of those guys that scores a ton of goals for another team, and everyone says, 'man, sucks for nashville' and i won't be the least bit surprised. unfortunately, we just can't afford to do so.

How's Vern Fiddler doing? The Admirals just won didn't they? Will he be getting another shot at the big club in the near future? Does he have what it takes to stick in the NHL?

Old
06-09-2004, 01:13 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
How's Vern Fiddler doing? The Admirals just won didn't they? Will he be getting another shot at the big club in the near future? Does he have what it takes to stick in the NHL?

The Admirals did in fact just win the Calder Cup, and Vern's contributions were pretty significant. He scored a short-handed breakaway goal at one point that, from that point on, seemed to make the Admirals unbeatable for the rest of the playoffs. He didn't put up the numbers that Tony Hrkac, Simon Gamache or Darren Haydar put up, but his leadership was there, and he never stopped working.

As for his future with us...who knows. He's not really considered a prospect, and I know he was really disappointed that he was demoted after initially sticking with us as our fourth line center. We're, as mentioned, painfully thin at center...so I think that one of Fiddler or Wyatt Smith could have a chance at that fourth line job this year, with the edge to Smitty, who is a better faceoff guy and has a bit more NHL experience. It might not be saying much, but I think Vern could be a third liner on a team like Pittsburgh or even Florida.

Closed Thread