HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Legwand?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2004, 07:47 PM
  #1
Dangerdanger
Registered User
 
Dangerdanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Legwand?

Well, I've been thinking that if we can't sign Nedved, perhaps now would be a good time to go for Legwand. Preds fans for the most part seem to be low on him, but it could turn out to be a real steal. Anybody want to get on this bus with me? Now i just need to decide what I think would be fair.

Dangerdanger is offline  
Old
05-23-2004, 07:55 PM
  #2
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
I think it would cost too much to get him. I'd love to have him, but I don't know if I'd be willing to give up what it takes.

Seachd is offline  
Old
05-23-2004, 09:55 PM
  #3
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,119
vCash: 500
First off, there's no way the Preds trade an impact player to help out the Oilers.

Second off, the Preds would want York + stuff back for sure.

Mizral is offline  
Old
05-23-2004, 10:01 PM
  #4
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
While the fan base may be ready for a shakeup after their first playoff appearance, Poile wasnt born yesterday. He knows Legwands upside (A former 2nd overall, 24 year old Big center coming into his own with decent offensive totals) Would he really want to trade him to a team he may be fighting tooth & nail again for a playoff spot? On top of which, in a deal like this we would be giving up quantity for quality. It would be like trading Comrie to Anaheim or Phoenix for prospects. It aint gonna happen (although it would be great if it could.)

windowlicker is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 01:07 AM
  #5
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
First off, there's no way the Preds trade an impact player to help out the Oilers.

Second off, the Preds would want York + stuff back for sure.
This obssesion of Mike York is bordering homoerotic. The guy didn't even make Team USA and you think he's the best Oiler. Oh yeah that makes a lot of sense. Roll eyes roll eyes. Mike York is a decent player. A second liner at best, and he does show a lot of heart but not enough world class skill to take the best Oiler player title.

I would never trade for Legwand. He's another career 2nd liner in the mold of Patrick Stefan. Why give up soo much for a guy who does so little for this team. How would the addition of Legwand honestly impact htis team? Geeeze guys. You have to face it...Nedved is sadly our only option.

If we want an impact player that i would personally overpay disgustingly for it would be for Mark Bell. Mark Bell is a Bill Guerin playing center and the guy is huge and a powerforward. I would honestly trade Hemsky Smyth 2 first rounders for Bell.

outKast* is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 01:16 AM
  #6
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
If we want an impact player that i would personally overpay disgustingly for it would be for Mark Bell. Mark Bell is a Bill Guerin playing center and the guy is huge and a powerforward. I would honestly trade Hemsky Smyth 2 first rounders for Bell.
But Bell didn't even make team Canada. Why would you want him?

Seachd is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 01:25 AM
  #7
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Funny you should mention obsessions and homoerotic there outkast... this is what, the 700th time you've brought up Bell?

6'3 205 isn't huge... not by a long shot. And he hasn't shown anything close to being an impact player... in fact, at this point in time Legwand has been more of an impact player than Bell has.

I wouldn't overpay for either of these guys, and especially not to the extent of Smyth and 2 1st rounders, that is out and out loonie.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 01:36 AM
  #8
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
This obssesion of Mike York is bordering homoerotic. The guy didn't even make Team USA and you think he's the best Oiler. Oh yeah that makes a lot of sense. Roll eyes roll eyes. Mike York is a decent player. A second liner at best, and he does show a lot of heart but not enough world class skill to take the best Oiler player title.

I would never trade for Legwand. He's another career 2nd liner in the mold of Patrick Stefan. Why give up soo much for a guy who does so little for this team. How would the addition of Legwand honestly impact htis team? Geeeze guys. You have to face it...Nedved is sadly our only option.

If we want an impact player that i would personally overpay disgustingly for it would be for Mark Bell. Mark Bell is a Bill Guerin playing center and the guy is huge and a powerforward. I would honestly trade Hemsky Smyth 2 first rounders for Bell.

Cerebral is online now  
Old
05-24-2004, 01:58 PM
  #9
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Funny you should mention obsessions and homoerotic there outkast... this is what, the 700th time you've brought up Bell?

6'3 205 isn't huge... not by a long shot. And he hasn't shown anything close to being an impact player... in fact, at this point in time Legwand has been more of an impact player than Bell has.

I wouldn't overpay for either of these guys, and especially not to the extent of Smyth and 2 1st rounders, that is out and out loonie.
:lol

outKast* is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 02:09 PM
  #10
Dangerdanger
Registered User
 
Dangerdanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 965
vCash: 500
Well, I guess Ill just quietly pray that we get him. Back to the drawing board.

Dangerdanger is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 02:16 PM
  #11
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,575
vCash: 50
Personally, I would love to see us get Legwand. However, I'm not sure I'd want to give up what would be necessary to aquire him. If we could get him for Isbister or Rita and a 2nd I'd go for it.

misfit is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 02:26 PM
  #12
USC Trojans
I have a plan.
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
If we want an impact player that i would personally overpay disgustingly for it would be for Mark Bell. Mark Bell is a Bill Guerin playing center and the guy is huge and a powerforward. I would honestly trade Hemsky Smyth 2 first rounders for Bell.

Glad you're not the GM.

Regarding the original topic. To get Legwand we'd have to overpay. Somehing I'm not willing to do for a player with limited offensive output.

USC Trojans is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 02:33 PM
  #13
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
This obssesion of Mike York is bordering homoerotic.

Bergeron47 is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 03:34 PM
  #14
OilerLord
Registered User
 
OilerLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
But Bell didn't even make team Canada. Why would you want him?
ZING!

OilerLord is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 04:59 PM
  #15
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,761
vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
it was about aboyt a year i made a proposal for legward that involved York, Chimera, Rita and the oilers' 1st round in 2003 (it was my first one after being on HF for a year or so)

like always I got burned, cuz the preds didn't want York back. they didn't want to lose their star that plays defense, words were exchanged it was agree to disagree

back to now time, so unless Lowe over-pays the preds won't listen for Legward

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 05:23 PM
  #16
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Its actually an interesting question: how much, if any, would you have to add to Mike York in order to acquire David Legwand?

I like Legwand alot, and York has been hurt both seasons he's played here.

However, York is only 2 years older, and is his equal offensively imo. Add that to York being a very smart player who is willing to accept any role asked, and he looks pretty damn good to me, Team USA slight or no.

Numbers per 82 games
Mike York 21-30-51
David Legwand 16-28-44

What would you add to York to get Legwand?

Lowetide is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 05:27 PM
  #17
ToothlessAggression
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
This obssesion of Mike York is bordering homoerotic. The guy didn't even make Team USA and you think he's the best Oiler. Oh yeah that makes a lot of sense. Roll eyes roll eyes. Mike York is a decent player. A second liner at best, and he does show a lot of heart but not enough world class skill to take the best Oiler player title.
Yet whenever he has been healthy with the Oilers he has infact been the best player on the team. Do you have a personal vendetta against him or something?

And this has been eating away at me, what is with Gene Principe (or his twin?) in your avatar?

ToothlessAggression is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 06:02 PM
  #18
scotchtapejr.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
If you believe that York is our best player than you are nothing but a Homer who hates Fergie

scotchtapejr. is offline  
Old
05-24-2004, 07:56 PM
  #19
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Funny you should mention obsessions and homoerotic there outkast... this is what, the 700th time you've brought up Bell?

6'3 205 isn't huge... not by a long shot. And he hasn't shown anything close to being an impact player... in fact, at this point in time Legwand has been more of an impact player than Bell has.

I wouldn't overpay for either of these guys, and especially not to the extent of Smyth and 2 1st rounders, that is out and out loonie.
Don forget, Outkast said he'd trade Smyth, Hemsky and 2 1st rounders. That is an overpayment bigtime. Outkast, I'm sure glad you're not the GM of this team. You'd have driven this team to the ground by now.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
06-09-2004, 12:29 AM
  #20
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,119
vCash: 500
sorry to drudge up an old topic but, well...what else is there to talk about, right now?

as any preds poster can tell you, i'm not the biggest legwand fan in the world(triggrman) nor am i one of those rashly calling him a 'bust' (dulzhok) i stand pretty much on the fence. he's a big center, excellent defensively...who can score goals

What you have to understand is that centers in the Predators organization, from here until Trotz moves on...are NEVER going to put up big numbers. It's the nature of Trotz's system. He loves to throw this at the opposition:





blue------------------------C------------------line

..............RD.................................. ....................






............................................. LW.......................

..................................RW.............. ............................
....................................X(goal)....... ...........................
.......................................LD......... ..............................

as you see, with the skill level of Timonen and Zidlicky offensively(outside of Erat, our two best puckhandlers), Trotz will use them offensively, and the center and the defensive half of the pairing(eaton, hamhuis, hnidy) will cover the blue line. it's the same story with greg johnson and it completely stifled andreas johansson's scoring, when he was moved to the position. I think it's this system that misleads people on Legwand's offensive numbers. He's put up a decent amount of assists, as he should...but until we switch systems...his numbers are going to dwell around the 16-20 mark. Most of his goals came on odd-man rushes, because, while he didn't get to display it much while a forecheck was established\the puck was being moved in the zone...he has some SICK scoring instincts. He's got moves, he's lightning quick, and he's probably the single best person for us to have on a breakaway(steve sullivan included). at times, he's tentative...and tries to pass too much in those situations when he should shoot, but i think that's a result of not getting the opportunity much. I'm near willing to bet that in a traditional two d-men back system, legwand would be scoring between 25-30 goals. he's got the tools to do so...and he's just as good defensively. if there's one thing i can fault david for...it's motivation. he has nights where he just..trudges around, and doesn't seem to care very much..and he's been publically called out over it. that said...he's not perfect...but he is, without a doubt, more than a patrik stefan second line kind of guy. he's, unfortunately for him, mired in a system that wants its centers to make the play and make sure no play develops for the opponent...rather than finishing it.

with all that in mind...I don't think we're good trading partners. we're DESPERATELY thin at center(if Chipchura is available, you can bet the farm he'll be a Predator), and we don't even have much in the way of prospects at that position. We simply can't afford to give him up, when we're likely giving UP on arkhipov, this summer. i'd like to be able to trade him simply because i feel like we're severely limiting him. he's going to be one of those guys that scores a ton of goals for another team, and everyone says, 'man, sucks for nashville' and i won't be the least bit surprised. unfortunately, we just can't afford to do so.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
06-09-2004, 01:05 AM
  #21
Hairball
Registered User
 
Hairball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oiler Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
sorry to drudge up an old topic but, well...what else is there to talk about, right now?

as any preds poster can tell you, i'm not the biggest legwand fan in the world(triggrman) nor am i one of those rashly calling him a 'bust' (dulzhok) i stand pretty much on the fence. he's a big center, excellent defensively...who can score goals

What you have to understand is that centers in the Predators organization, from here until Trotz moves on...are NEVER going to put up big numbers. It's the nature of Trotz's system. He loves to throw this at the opposition:





blue------------------------C------------------line

..............RD.................................. ....................






............................................. LW.......................

..................................RW.............. ............................
....................................X(goal)....... ...........................
.......................................LD......... ..............................

as you see, with the skill level of Timonen and Zidlicky offensively(outside of Erat, our two best puckhandlers), Trotz will use them offensively, and the center and the defensive half of the pairing(eaton, hamhuis, hnidy) will cover the blue line. it's the same story with greg johnson and it completely stifled andreas johansson's scoring, when he was moved to the position. I think it's this system that misleads people on Legwand's offensive numbers. He's put up a decent amount of assists, as he should...but until we switch systems...his numbers are going to dwell around the 16-20 mark. Most of his goals came on odd-man rushes, because, while he didn't get to display it much while a forecheck was established\the puck was being moved in the zone...he has some SICK scoring instincts. He's got moves, he's lightning quick, and he's probably the single best person for us to have on a breakaway(steve sullivan included). at times, he's tentative...and tries to pass too much in those situations when he should shoot, but i think that's a result of not getting the opportunity much. I'm near willing to bet that in a traditional two d-men back system, legwand would be scoring between 25-30 goals. he's got the tools to do so...and he's just as good defensively. if there's one thing i can fault david for...it's motivation. he has nights where he just..trudges around, and doesn't seem to care very much..and he's been publically called out over it. that said...he's not perfect...but he is, without a doubt, more than a patrik stefan second line kind of guy. he's, unfortunately for him, mired in a system that wants its centers to make the play and make sure no play develops for the opponent...rather than finishing it.

with all that in mind...I don't think we're good trading partners. we're DESPERATELY thin at center(if Chipchura is available, you can bet the farm he'll be a Predator), and we don't even have much in the way of prospects at that position. We simply can't afford to give him up, when we're likely giving UP on arkhipov, this summer. i'd like to be able to trade him simply because i feel like we're severely limiting him. he's going to be one of those guys that scores a ton of goals for another team, and everyone says, 'man, sucks for nashville' and i won't be the least bit surprised. unfortunately, we just can't afford to do so.

How's Vern Fiddler doing? The Admirals just won didn't they? Will he be getting another shot at the big club in the near future? Does he have what it takes to stick in the NHL?

Hairball is offline  
Old
06-09-2004, 01:13 AM
  #22
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
How's Vern Fiddler doing? The Admirals just won didn't they? Will he be getting another shot at the big club in the near future? Does he have what it takes to stick in the NHL?

The Admirals did in fact just win the Calder Cup, and Vern's contributions were pretty significant. He scored a short-handed breakaway goal at one point that, from that point on, seemed to make the Admirals unbeatable for the rest of the playoffs. He didn't put up the numbers that Tony Hrkac, Simon Gamache or Darren Haydar put up, but his leadership was there, and he never stopped working.

As for his future with us...who knows. He's not really considered a prospect, and I know he was really disappointed that he was demoted after initially sticking with us as our fourth line center. We're, as mentioned, painfully thin at center...so I think that one of Fiddler or Wyatt Smith could have a chance at that fourth line job this year, with the edge to Smitty, who is a better faceoff guy and has a bit more NHL experience. It might not be saying much, but I think Vern could be a third liner on a team like Pittsburgh or even Florida.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.