HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Desharnais - I don`t get it !

Old
04-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Habblues

vCash: 500
Desharnais - I don`t get it !

I just don`t get why in the world David Desharnais doesn`t get more icetime. Since joining the team he led the team in points (except for Max Pac) but for some reason he just doesn`t get recognized for the talent that he is. He wins faceoffs, skates like the wind and is a fantastic setup man who has a nose for the net. I DON`T GET IT ! Maybe others can shed some light.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 05:47 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Martin's respect for both veteran centers... Did you see no matter how bad one or the other plays, they still get a lot of ice time, but when a youngster makes a mistake or two, well the rope is shorter. Coach's decision man

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:09 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I just don`t get why in the world David Desharnais doesn`t get more icetime. Since joining the team he led the team in points (except for Max Pac) but for some reason he just doesn`t get recognized for the talent that he is. He wins faceoffs, skates like the wind and is a fantastic setup man who has a nose for the net. I DON`T GET IT ! Maybe others can shed some light.
He skates like the wind, yes.....a gentle breeze.

Desharnais is a defensive liability against certain players, and also gets a lot of his points on the PP, where his deficiencies show up much less.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 06:33 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
He is still a rookie and has to take his lumps like one. You make him sound like a superstar, and yes he has had a decent first year, he is no superstar. If he continues to work in time he will pass Gomez and then we will really see what he can do. Also his point production has been cold of late with no points in his last 7.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Double XX L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
He skates like the wind, yes.....a gentle breeze.

Desharnais is a defensive liability against certain players, and also gets a lot of his points on the PP, where his deficiencies show up much less.
LOL

Good Post, Totally agree.
you dont want DD to be matched up incorrectly out there. He still has to expand his game some, before he can get better minutes.

He IMO will get there, and has been a decent addition to this squad this year, I like his game. But this is where Scotty Gomez gets little credit, and deserves a bit more (even in this bad season of his).

Double XX L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Jiggernaut

Matchups.

More ice-time doesn't mean more points. He does well in his role. Matching up against other teams lower lines/defence pairings. More ice-time means more time against the other teams better shut down players.

Keep him where he is. Let him continue to develop. If he does this, his ice time will increase.

Jiggernaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:56 AM
neofury*

I think Desharnais needs to be converted to winger. I have multiple reasons for this.

1) Being small down the middle is probably the worst possible place to be small up front.
2) We have long term signings like Plekanec and Gomez, and a long term investment in Lars Eller. Desharnais event though he shouldn't be, is the odd man out. What Gomez lacks this year in production in comparison, he makes up for by gaining the zone, not being knocked off the puck as easily etc.
3) I just think he'd be better off converting to wing if he wants to be a regular in the NHL, potential top 6 player rather than 3rd line center who fills in on the 2nd line.

He has a ton of talent but his position in my eyes is a glaring problem for him. By the way this isn't a knock on how Desharnais plays center, he's a quality center but he lacks the size to be the center his talent dictates he should be. I could potentially see him as a poor man's St. Louis if converted to wing. He has a real nose for the net, he isn't just a playmaker, he's got a lot of assets worth keeping, I would not want to trade him, but more-so hope next fall he is converted to wing.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 07:58 AM
LeMAD

He's playing with Pouliot, that's why.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:12 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I think he's fine where he is. I don't think he has enough experience to face the top tiered players at even strength. As someone else mentioned he's a nice playmaker to have on the powerplay against top players but at even strength I like his role. He's been a pleasant surprise and skates faster than I ever dreamed based on what I read on these boards. LOL

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:13 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
LOL

Good Post, Totally agree.
you dont want DD to be matched up incorrectly out there. He still has to expand his game some, before he can get better minutes.

He IMO will get there, and has been a decent addition to this squad this year, I like his game. But this is where Scotty Gomez gets little credit, and deserves a bit more (even in this bad season of his).
Please Gomez sucks defensively...

DD is a rookie, he's still learning and improving, he's now on the 2nd unit of the PK (and doesn't play any PP minutes anymore), it's normal he gets less points.

And as Neofury said, I'm all aboard the "convert him to the wing" bandwagon... but not because Gomez is here to stay, I want his ass gone and replaced by a potent Top 6 centre.

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:30 AM
7th Player

Well to be fair he's been struggling lately. He just doesn't have the same jam than when he first got called up.

FYI his stats over last 8 games:
0 points, -5, 3 shots on goal.
No shots on goal in last 5 games...

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Player View Post
Well to be fair he's been struggling lately. He just doesn't have the same jam than when he first got called up.

FYI his stats over last 8 games:
0 points, -5, 3 shots on goal.
No shots on goal in last 5 games...
exactly he has slowed down a little, I wonder if the physical aspect has anything to do with it. I mean go against NHLer game after game isn't the same as going against AHLer. Anyways I hope he picks it up a little, that line will have to be key for us in the playoffs and we need production from them

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:54 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
Are you 5'7 or taller? If you answer yes, you have looked over the situation

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 08:55 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
exactly he has slowed down a little, I wonder if the physical aspect has anything to do with it. I mean go against NHLer game after game isn't the same as going against AHLer. Anyways I hope he picks it up a little, that line will have to be key for us in the playoffs and we need production from them
I'm not worried about his production really. I think he'll bounce back, doesn't strike me as the type to be cold for too long. His style of play is just the kind that you're in the right place at the right time usually.

I vote "Pouliot" for scapegoat

Old
04-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Joe Cole

DD has not slowed down, quite the opposite. The game has speed up. It is playoff time and the intensity is ratched up. Currently he is not keeping pace, and that is 100% fine, it is his first steps at this level.

The problem with people is that they project their sense of immediate entitlement onto others that they may like. Nowadays, everyone believes that everything is owed to them, that they do not need to earn it over an EXTENDED stretch of time. No, it must be given to them the moment they walk through the door.

I do not see DD complaining. Maybe we should follow his lead.

p.s. DD on the wing is a waste of vision and he is so unsuited to play solely along the boards.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
DD, Pouliot, Eller, etc...=Not top end players like subban. AKA, bring them up slowly.

I don't think people realize the pressure of being asked to perform a task when you aren't ready. If we shed gomez next year, we can see Eller, Pouliot and DD getting more icetime.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:54 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
p.s. DD on the wing is a waste of vision and he is so unsuited to play solely along the boards.
But he's suited to be a top line center? Imo not really.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
DD, Pouliot, Eller, etc...=Not top end players like subban. AKA, bring them up slowly.

I don't think people realize the pressure of being asked to perform a task when you aren't ready. If we shed gomez next year, we can see Eller, Pouliot and DD getting more icetime.
I agree, slowly. And slower still when the playoffs start. Those that show they can perform while getting their feet wet should get increased responsibilities.

That's when the real players come out, not the Andrei Kostitysns.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Turboflex*

Martin was right to keep him on bench vs. the Hawks. He woulda gotten owned by guys like Kane.

His line easily gets penned in zone vs strong players.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Montreal Typical
Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I agree, slowly. And slower still when the playoffs start. Those that show they can perform while getting their feet wet should get increased responsibilities.

That's when the real players come out, not the Andrei Kostitysns.
In the playoffs Andrei Kostitsyn is only 2 points behind where he should be if he followed his regular season pace.

That he sucks in the playoffs is a myth. He hasn't stepped it up, but hasn't disappeared either. His only real bad playoffs was against the Bruins in 2009. Everyone else also sucked (well, Price was okay... he somehow managed to keep two games close despite how badly outplayed the team was).

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:09 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
In the playoffs Andrei Kostitsyn is only 2 points behind where he should be if he followed his regular season pace.

That he sucks in the playoffs is a myth. His only real bad playoffs was against the Bruins in 2009. Everyone else also sucked (well, Price somehow managed to keep two games close despite how badly outplayed the Habs were).
Points are not the only standard. He cannot win a puck battle, is scary in his own end and ineffective anywhere on the ice other than when it's put on a platter for him. Terrible player. We'll never win with guys like this. We don't have any superstars, so every player in our lineup has to contribute come playoff time. Really contribute, not just pick up soft points.

Hopefully some of these kids will steal his job, but it's unlikely with Patches out of the lineup.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:17 PM
The Pleks Dispenser

Benny's low production also hurt DD's icetime.

The Pleks Dispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:20 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pleks Dispenser View Post
Benny's low production also hurt DD's icetime.
We aren't going to catch Tampa.

Washington would be scary now that they have Arnott. And we got lucky in a lot of ways last year and faced them at the exact right time. Also, when their plane was delayed going back home, that basically got us back in the series.

This time around, it will be much tougher, and no Markov either.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:22 PM
The Pleks Dispenser

its not about us catching tampa, its the pitts catching philly.

The Pleks Dispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Points are not the only standard. He cannot win a puck battle, is scary in his own end and ineffective anywhere on the ice other than when it's put on a platter for him. Terrible player. We'll never win with guys like this. We don't have any superstars, so every player in our lineup has to contribute come playoff time. Really contribute, not just pick up soft points.

Hopefully some of these kids will steal his job, but it's unlikely with Patches out of the lineup.
yeah a terrible player, but equivalent players who are Canadian are good o'l Canadian boys.